YesNoOk

Venom by T.O.P.S (Read 52030 times)

Started by Makurayami, July 05, 2012, 02:51:32 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Venom by T.O.P.S
#61  October 19, 2012, 02:58:47 am
  • I ejaculate fire
    • USA
Hitboxes are suppose to assume and account for motion as opposed to just covering the surface of the sprite for an individual frame.  Like C.A.N'd said, this ensures that gaps are not created and the character can take/deliver damage in a consistent way.

My reference to redoing them was to not only the overcomplicated boxes, but also the ones with infinite priority all over the place.  Editing a box here or there or editing some frames but not others might cause the character to feel inconsistent or off.  If some of the boxes are going to be cleaned up, mine as well just redo them all to ensure the same style concerning placement and number of boxes.
This is how you recognize a character is polished or not : when small details are taken care of to provide the best experience possible.
#62  October 19, 2012, 04:04:02 am
  • The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/truemicah
The less CLSN's and the more simple (neat) their placement, the better.

Better placed CLSNs can be easily adjusted to characters and are easy to create.
Better placed and less detailed CLSN's work smoother with other characters also (Grabs, custom states, etc.).
Bad CLSN's also, like you all said, have a risk of slipping through gaps.
#63  October 19, 2012, 04:27:32 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Yes they are meant to account for motion, Not JUST the motion of the player who is going to get hit, but also the attacking player.

If you obeyed the complex method, clsn1's would basically be on the point of the fist, but you don't do that, you extend beyond/above/below as well to account for the fact that a real person would change their aim.

Very rarely are clsn boxes pinpoint accurate in official games. There is a clsn viewer for the Vs games, you could look at that, capcom have some odd clsn's, but they're definitely not as bad as some of those shown here.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#64  October 19, 2012, 05:36:59 am
  • Shakespear.
Ah, I understand clearly now.  If a projectile were traveling at a character with 80 tight clsns who is also moving quickly (more than their width per tick) toward the projectile, they might miss each other, so clsn both 1's and 2's (1 fish 2 fish red fish blue fish) have to account for the motion to assure there is an overlap somewhere to register a connect.  That all makes much more sense now...  shit, I'm going to have to take another look at spawn and duke. 

Cyanide - Yeah I've seen you post some screenies of that.  Is it some kind of memory access thing in mame?
#65  October 21, 2012, 05:21:27 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
- c.SP could get envshake when hitting the ground.
- Many basics are misaligned.
- symbiote slug misses at close range.
- Supers (on Mugen 1.0) have the super BG displayed badly, with all 4 squares appearing.
- The web explod during when Web ball catches the opponent could get a shadow.
- You're better off scrapping the hitsparks and taking nicer ones (just my opinion, but I really dislike them and think they don't fit the style).
#66  October 21, 2012, 09:50:39 pm
- symbiote slug misses at close range.

Are you sure? I was really positive we fixed that. What character were you testing against?

Not ignoring the rest, I just thought we made a point of fixing all the close range missing stuff.
#67  October 21, 2012, 10:52:16 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
I think VS Goku Z2 or Vegeta Z2, not sure anymore.