YesNoOk

MUGEN Crash When Hitting Two Targets Simultaneously (Read 3393 times)

Started by Nep Heart, November 05, 2019, 09:52:13 am
Share this topic:
MUGEN Crash When Hitting Two Targets Simultaneously
#1  November 05, 2019, 09:52:13 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 Also part of the reason why I don't like messing with simul mode too much, let alone code for it, but feel this is still relevant since helpers since occur in 1v1. As the title says, whenever my characters, they will, when hitting two targets at the same exact time, occasionally cause MUGEN to crash without an explicit warning of any kind whether a crash error or a report in the log file. It's been something I've been trying to simply avoid for over a year, but I've come to realize that I need to confront this problem.

Any explanation on this phenomenon?
Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 05:34:24 am by Nep Heart
Re: MUGEN Crash When Hitting Two Targets Simultaneously
#2  November 07, 2019, 12:17:36 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
 Consulted a friend on this problem and he explained to me that target/enemy redirects using complex math that aren't in proper parenthesis can sometimes confuse the engine and force it to shut down. So, I went through every state with a hitdef where the math wasn't properly contained and corrected them. Half an hour of testing later and it no longer causes shutdowns when acquiring two targets simultaneously.

I'll mark this as solved for now, but if any related failures occur, I'll bump this thread again.
#3  December 02, 2019, 05:37:58 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
 Seems the issue reared its ugly head again after I thought it was resolved, so, reopening this thread to get some input. It's really frustrating considering this kind of phenomenon happens at random with absolutely no error messages or logs whatsoever. I am aware that hitonce = 1 is a thing in hitdefs, but problem is that I actually do want to have the character acquire both targets when they are hit for balancing purpose to keep the assist from being broken. So, yes, the basic question would be is there a reliable way to be able to hit two targets at once without crashes?
#4  December 04, 2019, 08:19:59 am
It honestly might be the collision boxes on those frames itself, please check that out. I think there's a think like if there's 2 green collisions on a frame it will crash, and Id just be extra sure and make sure the collision boxes are simplified. This was a thing that always bothered me with MUGEN, until I reated my own full game and figured out it was collisions. This would ALWAYS crash on a certain chracter I had whenever he did his punch. Turns out the collision boxes were the issue.
#5  December 04, 2019, 11:23:31 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
 That really can't be it since it happens with moves whose collision boxes don't use Default variations. From what I was told at one of the servers I go to, it's very likely an issue with targetstate, especially considering my characters utilize custom states very heavily. I'm very unsure how I can handle this without using hitone for hitdefs since I still want to acquire multiple targets without the crashing.

Edit: Seems I may have found a (partial?) solution to the targetstate crash when acquiring more than one target. Seems any targetstate that uses ifelse (who uses that anymore?) or cond in its state value will crash MUGEN when more than one target is subjected to it. Went through every single targetstate with a cond and split them into separate state controllers, which made the crashing cease when more than one target is acquired. Hopefully, this sticks since I have a feeling there may be more underlying problems than just targetstate alone.
Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 05:23:37 am by Nep Heart
#6  December 19, 2019, 05:11:20 am
    • Vietnam
You might want to use targetdrop to eliminate any clone target. Cause target's redirector work only with one target. If there is more than 1 target and you use this target redirector. Mugen Engine don't know which target are you prefer to and the don't know which target's pointer is it. cause program will be freezed and cannot complete your code order
------Tremble Mortal and Despair. Doom has come to this world------