YesNoOk

4 buttons fighter is just not enough (Read 19906 times)

Started by Blade Art, May 14, 2010, 01:26:02 pm
Share this topic:
Re: 4 buttons fighter is just not enough
#41  May 14, 2010, 05:12:56 pm
  • all is love in fair and war
6 buttons are OK, while 8 buttons (as in 4 levels of punches and kicks) are not
I like 6 button flexibility to more personalize your fighting.

however it doesn't mean 4 buttons system is "not enough" to spark up the gameplay.
and since you brought KoF as example it sounded trollish, and saying it has less game mechanic compared to SF was even more ridiculous, showed that you never played KoF at all.
#42  May 14, 2010, 05:14:25 pm
  • "Feelin' random"
Jojo superior, three buttons is all you really need.( with a fourth for special actions)

Special Actions? I could've sworn they were called Stands.

Anyways, if you actually play Jojo's, you use all four buttons. However to make itself different from other fighters is the Stand system, which gives you new array of specials, supers, normals, etc.

As for how many buttons, it doesn't really matter until you play the game. A game could have up to 12 buttons, but it won't mean jack if the game is bad.
#43  May 14, 2010, 05:20:14 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Not every character has a stand ability. It behaves different for many characters, from hol horse where its a controllable bullet, to Shadow dio that has it for a sliding punch  to the barber that uses it to spin. Besides you can also use it for wakeup attacks with stands and to program some stands into attacking by themselves.

I can imagine fighting game fanboys complaining when the game was announced.
"DEAR GOD WHAT IS THIS SHIT, A STAND BUTTON? WHATS NEXT Capcom Co., Ltd.?!? A CROUCH BUTTON???"
#44  May 14, 2010, 05:23:40 pm
  • "Feelin' random"
Not every character has a stand ability.
Every character except young joseph has a stand. =l

But yes, it seems each time they try something new, they get barked at for it.
#45  May 14, 2010, 05:51:27 pm
  • all is love in fair and war
I haven't play jojo for years, but I think

anubis simply draws his sword, and shadow dio doesn't have any stand, I forgot what hol horse does with it.
#46  May 14, 2010, 05:54:07 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
controllable bullet, like i said, the barber just spins around, other characters have different abilities, like I said, passive or active stand modes, the button was just used for "odd" attacks.
#47  May 14, 2010, 07:56:08 pm
  • FTW!!!
I prefer the 6 button layout. I do agree that KOF has better looking combos and supers but with the 4 button, it feels like I'am limited. Thats why I love the CVS gameplay cause it's a mix of both. Both SNK and Capcom can fix each other's mistakes.

#48  May 14, 2010, 08:22:58 pm
  • Fuck You.
4 button.
i cant count the reasons i should stay

one by one they all just fade away...

http://nero-blanco.deviantart.com/
#49  May 14, 2010, 09:55:16 pm
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
SF has always been fundamentally sound, as far as footsies, mindgames and pokes. The extra buttons/normals add different priorities, ranges, comboability etc etc. SF4 is the most fundamentally sound fighter on the market right now, and it is 6 buttons. A 4 button fighter forces the use of command normals (which may as well be an extra normal button) in it's combos, although that's speaking strictly for a King of Fighters game.

I don't prefer one over the other, but that's what the situation is atm, blind allegiance to one or the other is just silly.
you can't mixup a blind man, and you can't out think a brick ~skisonic
Street fighting is all about analysis, prediction, and reaction. That's it.

#50  May 14, 2010, 10:04:35 pm
  • Recreation
fucking sf3 sucks because the controls in sf4 are shit
Wait what?
SF3 is amazing.
So what if you think the controls in SF4 are crap?
SF3 was pretty much established as an amazing game.

And yes I agree with TempesT.
The only game IMO that actually mostly revolves around reading the enemy's mind is SF.
It's pretty much the only series IMO where combos aren't everything.

And regarding KOF.....
It seems like it should be an easier game to play, but it's a technically more advanced game.
Good, but not exactly my cup of tea.
#51  May 14, 2010, 10:25:42 pm
  • ロッキングガール
  • 「目指すはクールでロックなアイドル!」
    • twitter.com/c001357
And yes I agree with TempesT.
The only game IMO that actually mostly revolves around reading the enemy's mind is SF.
It's pretty much the only series IMO where combos aren't everything.

what are you talking about.

personally, i dont care, though i wouldnt mind 20 buttons
#52  May 14, 2010, 10:29:06 pm
  • A frame here, a pixel there.
Street Fighter 4 actually has close attacks as well, dunno about older ones though.
Close-range attacks were first in SF2. They dropped them for Alpha and Alpha 2, but then brought them back for Alpha 3, IIRC. I'm pretty sure SF3 had them, too.
#53  May 15, 2010, 12:02:58 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
It's better to ignore Blade Art and his horrid, baseless posts.

to Shadow dio that has it for a sliding punch
That's DF+HP.
The extra button IS a stand attack button. For everyone (Except young Joeph!)
It's just that said attacks (Shadow DIO, Khan, Mariah, Rubber Soul, Pet Shop, Anubis Nitouryuu Polnareff, Hol Horse, etc.) are inactive stands attacks.
#54  May 19, 2010, 12:15:05 am
  • It's over! We won!
    • SITE BANNED
And regarding KOF.....
It seems like it should be an easier game to play, but it's a technically more advanced game.
How exactly the gameplay of KOF is more technical than SF?  o_O
SF has always been historically 5 steps ahead of KOF in term of innovations, game mechanics and the more advanced 6buttons systems

KOF has just kept copying part of SF innovations over the years but KOF at any given year was technically much inferior to the SF counterpart.
SITE BANNED DUE TO ADFLY USE
#55  May 19, 2010, 12:33:49 am
  • KOF Spriter
Don't try pass up your opinion as a fact, it's annoying.

MDI

#56  May 19, 2010, 12:41:08 am
    • mugen.yolasite.com/stages.php
The only time I've ever "hated" 4-button gameplay was when MVC2 came along without any Mediums. Versus Series had always been 6 buttons..so that kind of bummed me out. It was a direct sequel, so it was quite strange. Unlike say Street Fighter Alpha compared to say some new Street Fighter series that would be less buttons, which would be understandable. New series, new gameplay scheme... no problem.

Other then that I don't think its a big deal. I'm more then used to KoF's 4-buttons.  ;D
ey
Chaineable command attacks, MAX cancels, different jumps for a faster pace, etc.
#57  May 19, 2010, 12:43:30 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
To be fair, I wasn't fond of CvS's four button setup.

You're new to fighting games and/or most likely have no skill whatsoever.

We could try to educate you, but what's the point? It would be a colossal waste of time and it's obvious that you're not changing your mind, you're just trolling. Or a moron that confuses opinions with facts.
#58  May 19, 2010, 12:44:10 am
  • My power is maximum
  • Never order spooky spaghetti
    • USA
    • Skype - TheToxicAvenger666

Because not every move is a QCF motion, and it requires more tactics than "run up to opponent and hit a bunch of times".

SF has always been historically 5 steps ahead of KOF in term of innovations, game mechanics and the more advanced 6buttons systems

I'm sorry, I can't take anything you post seriously, especially now.
Orochi, a "god", came before Gill, who proclaimed himself to be one.
If they're so innovate why is most of their SF-based fighting library multiple versions of the same game and crossovers, when KoF does neither (mostly)?

KOF has just kept copying part of SF innovations over the years but KOF at any given year was technically much inferior to the SF counterpart.

Bull-fucking-shit
- SF never fought an actual god.
- KoF referenced other series-es (Athena, Ikari Warriors) of SNK's before SF started referencing Final Fight

...I could go on. You know, it's not over, you haven't won, stop being a blind fanboy.
#59  May 19, 2010, 12:52:52 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
And regarding KOF.....

Elaborate or no one is going to take you seriously.
#60  May 19, 2010, 01:05:15 am
  • Fuck You.
This guy confuses me with his statements.

What the hell's so advanced about 6 buttons over 4?
i cant count the reasons i should stay

one by one they all just fade away...

http://nero-blanco.deviantart.com/