YesNoOk

Do Mugen People Even Play? (Read 26091 times)

Started by SailorMaRs1030, August 15, 2013, 04:49:53 am
Share this topic:
Re: Do Mugen People Even Play?
#161  August 26, 2013, 12:51:58 pm
Played tekken 3 - tekken 6, I remember the old days when players are still humble(T3 & TTag) atm people playing tekken 6-TT2 are douchebags, not even friendly. lol
80% of the players here of TT2 are teens who are fucking pricks. It's all about juggles nowadays, well in TTag too but juggles there does not take 2/3rds of your life.
Imo since the "bounce" system shows up half of the players forgot how to cheapshot.
#162  August 26, 2013, 06:33:58 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
Played tekken 3 - tekken 6, I remember the old days when players are still humble(T3 & TTag) atm people playing tekken 6-TT2 are douchebags, not even friendly. lol
80% of the players here of TT2 are teens who are fucking pricks. It's all about juggles nowadays, well in TTag too but juggles there does not take 2/3rds of your life.
Imo since the "bounce" system shows up half of the players forgot how to cheapshot.

THANK YOU!! I get exactly what you're saying. While I love Tekken, I don't like Tag 2 and 6 very much even though I still will play them. I get more gratification and fun playing the Arcade version of Tag on my MAME emulator.
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
#163  August 26, 2013, 11:20:31 pm
Emulator? No more arcade players of TT1? Here it's still a thing, along with tekken 5 DR. But the players are always the same, which is not surprising because the game is so old. xD
#164  August 27, 2013, 11:21:57 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Oh c'mon!! 9 pages and NO ONE even mentioned Power Instinct series?? (except Jango with Matrimelee). I played PI1 in a lonely arcade in the beach town I frequented when I was a young boy (14-15yo) and was one of the first FGs I ever played, along with SFII and KOF95

Ah man!! The arcades... Those magical places that make PSN/XBLA look like a joke.
Totally agree :buttrox:

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#165  August 28, 2013, 08:20:55 am
    • USA
I'm a little bit late to the thread, but I can vouch that most Mugen creators and developers suck at fighting games. They are superior when it comes to gameplay coding, mechanics, technical details, and putting ideas to life, but that is about as far as they go.

Most Mugen developers/creators who I have played against in fighting games suck at all the games. They don't take the competitive aspect of fighting games as a serious hobby or motivation to complement their creation as an artist.

Most of you people here claim to "have played this" and "have played that" which is good, but "just playing a game" actually requires more experience to encompass something to be proud about. I've seen many creators who create boring stuff.

I think in order for a Mugen creator to be truly innovating he/she needs to be watched and taking feedback from a true hardcore gamer who understands what excites and motivates the depths of gameplay while keeping the fun things intact. Only a hardcore gamer knows what makes a game or character creation to be balanced, fun, competitive, exciting, and innovating.

Most Mugen creators I have seen so far who try to be innovating with their approach to expression of competitive fighting games have ended up either cheesy or bland.
UMT Season #2 - 2nd Place
UMT Season #3 - 1st Place
CvS2 vs POTS Season #1 - 1st Place
NorCal Crab Battle CvS2 - 2nd Place
#166  September 07, 2013, 05:36:03 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
Well said Extravagant.

I actually used to play a lot of fighting games as a youngin, mostly in my teen years. I was huge into Tekken and Soul Calibur (and got extremely good at them too, as in tournament good, which leads to my excitement for Soul Calibur 2 HD/Online). I also played a lot of Street Fighter, Rival Schools, Mortal Kombat, and plenty of other great titles that would read like a laundry list. I always loved fighting games, so my passion for Mugen keeps that love going strong. Now that I have matured, I really don't have too much time for games as I used to with responsibility and whatnot. I also spend a lot of time making my portraits for myself and Guild, so "playtime" isn't as much as I'd like it to be. Now, I mostly fire up my MAME or 360 and play Tekken Tag's Arcade Version or Soul Calibur on Ultra Hard. Because that's how I roll. ;D

However, I have recently found myself playing a lot of Mugen itself too. I always have a blast when my favorite characters, who have no business fighting each other since they were from completely different titles, are sharing the same screen space kicking the shit out of one another. That never gets old.
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
#167  September 07, 2013, 06:28:18 pm
    • USA
That's true, I can code a KOF char if I want without problems, pretty accurate, yet I'm TERRIBAD at KOF in general.

I don't think you need to be a "hardcore gamer" in order to understand how to make a balanced character though, heck many of the FGC top players have TERRIBLE suggestions for game balancing in general. All you need to do is understand how the entire particular system works and avoid stupid ideas. Sometimes you just don't have the skills to be EVO's number one but you may still have great ideas (And sometimes the opposite happens, see SSF2THD).
#168  September 07, 2013, 08:23:31 pm
    • Canada
I've been playing KoF13 and BB recently. I'm bad and I get trashed against the better players in my scene.

You don't have to be a half-decent fighting game player to create a good character -- stick to some tried-and-tested rules and you're golden. It does help to realize the implications of the design decisions you're making, though.
e.g. if this move is +2 on block rather than slightly negative, then the opponent will be discouraged from throwing out a quick normal to beat out whatever I press next. If I condition my opponent to block after using this normal via frame traps, I'm free to short hop in for more pressure/crossups or maybe run in for a throw.

Also there are some random mechanics, like alternate guarding in KoF13, that you would not normally know about if you don't play the game extensively.
i hate fighting games