YesNoOk

Super Smash Bros. Crusade (Read 36249 times)

Started by StayPuft, October 08, 2013, 05:55:43 pm
Share this topic:
Super Smash Bros. Crusade
#1  October 08, 2013, 05:55:43 pm
    • USA
    • cellularsp@hotmail.com

Heyo everyone, I decided to make a topic for the fangame Super Smash Bros. Crusade (since I didn't see one before... and I saw that SSF2 had one :p).

First of all, I guess I should mention that I am one of the developers/spriters for the game, and I'm mainly making this topic to try and get some outside opinions on the game that doesn't come from our main forums.

The current demo, 0.9TEST, can be downloaded from here: http://projectcrusade.forumotion.com/t2579-v09-test-demo-available?highlight=0+9+test
This includes some new characters, as well as bug fixes and balancing changes, though also excludes some features that were available in previous demos, mostly because we are currently working on porting it to a newer version of Game Maker. This means things like Final Smashes and Online mode are absent, but will be included in the full release of 0.9 (basically this demo was released to try and ease the waiting period for the actual 0.9...)

So yeah, we'd love to hear any comments, questions or complaints you have~
Re: Super Smash Bros. Crusade
#2  October 08, 2013, 08:59:43 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
I played Super Smash Bros. Crusade (maybe not the latest version), and I have to say this is awesome! My only nitpick is that some sprites clash with each other.
#3  October 08, 2013, 09:08:01 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Do I see fucking Crash Bandicoot?  Phoenix Wright?  Ashley from Warioware?

4/10 best I can give.
#4  October 08, 2013, 09:30:41 pm
    • USA
    • cellularsp@hotmail.com
@Uche

We are working on that currently, actually. One notable example are the Street Fighter characters, Mega Man, and Goku, who have much larger sprites than the rest of the cast. While not all of them have gotten re-sprites as of yet, I can say that Mega Man HAS gotten his resprite and that should be making his debut in 0.9. Other characters that, uh, look like shit (to put it frankly) such as Yoshi and Fox will be getting some down the road as well.

@Kendrick

Sorry to disappoint you, darling
#5  October 08, 2013, 09:53:06 pm
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
What about Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Ristar? Will the NES Mushroom Kingdom level also return, instead of the All-Star version? Also, I have a hard time grabbing ledges with Duck Hunt Dog. But still, so far, it may be the better Smash fangame. Nice job!
#6  October 08, 2013, 10:55:02 pm
    • USA
    • cellularsp@hotmail.com
Resprite-wise? Mario and Luigi have already gotten some and if I remember correctly they should be included in the 0.9TEST linked in the first post. They look a lot better than before. Peach I can't say for sure, she had one started but then it kind of died down after a week or so. Ristar may get one eventually, but most of the devs seem to think that should be lower priority than other characters (I'm one in favor of him getting one).

Mushroom Kingdom is being re-worked (sprite-wise), but it is still a more modern-version of Mushroom Kingdom from the more recent games. It may also get a layout change, but that isn't confirmed.

I'm not sure what the problem is with Duck Hunt Dog, I don't recall him having trouble with ledges. I'll look into it then.
#7  October 08, 2013, 11:00:19 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Are there plans to include Scorpion or Sub Zero from Mortal Kombat, or any Street Fighter characters?
#8  October 09, 2013, 12:30:50 am
    • USA
    • cellularsp@hotmail.com
Both Ryu (with Evil Ryu as an alt) and Chun-Li are in the game currently, and they'll probably be the only Street Fighter characters in.

As for Scorpion or Sub-Zero, it's a definite maybe.
#9  October 09, 2013, 12:50:32 am
the characters in this game that aren't playable in other smash games are
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

i downloaded this and will try to give some feedback later on
#10  October 09, 2013, 12:53:09 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
#11  October 10, 2013, 02:17:38 am
hello friends it is time to review super smash bros crusade made by a lot of people i guess and you can download somewhere at this link

starting the game will greet you with this title screen. it's an alright title screen. the CRUSADE text is kind of dull... it doesn't look as interesting as, say, brawl's. there's a better logo in the trailer posted in the thread so i guess it'll be replaced.

after configuring your controls and picking crusade it's time to pick a character. the roster isn't finished yet, but the game already has many characters available in previous smash brothers games and newcomers. there's plenty of variety in newcomers so you're bound to like some of them at least.

the actual character selection screen would benefit from a different font choice since some names look weird (especially petey or pctcy depending on your point of view). the artwork is kind of subpar, but this project seems fairly ambitious so i hope better select screen artwork is planned for a future release.

moving on to the actual characters. i won't delve much into how some move could be unbalanced or broken or whatever since i assume that's something a balancing team takes care of, playing against other human beings or whatever.

mario: mario has v. nice sprites. his upsmash animation seems a bit misaligned or something.

luigi: luigi also has good sprites and animation. i don't know why his attacks are electricity based now but whatever.

weegee: weegee is an alternate to luigi. weegee is a meme thing. the character has weird animation as you would expect but barring not liking the meme he's fine.

peach: peach's sprites have some proportion issues especially noticeable during her aerial attacks, but otherwise she's fine.

toad: toad is a newcomer even though he was already in smash as peach's b attack. toad also has good sprites. i wish he also had a black outline like everybody else so far, though. the wind effect for his B move kind of sucks compared to the transparent dust effects seen in mario. he is fun to play as and this kind of makes me wish he was in the next smash brothers believe it or not.

petey piranha: petey has some interesting move ideas. some of his animations look weird (neutral b's barf thing comes from behind his head instead of his mouth, and he can move out of borders more than he should as seen in the picture). his up+b looks real strange on air and i wish he had a different up+b move altogether.

waluigi: waluigi's sprites are in a sprite similar to mario and luigi which is a good thing. his taunt is NOT the crotch chop from super mario strikers, which is a huge missed opportunity. down+b is subpar looking. might be missing better effects or sounds, i'm not sure. smash down+a and smash up+a aren't visually interesting either.

wario: i don't have much to say about wario, he seems fine to me. his dodging animation seems to be in reverse order? or is that wario being weird intentionally.

ashley: ashley's sprites would also benefit from black borders. the sprites themselves are good though. i like her smash up+a being a lightning cloud that can be triggered by doing smash up a again. moves like up+b or neutral b seem like they're missing sounds, i would imagine there would be some kind of charge sound for her neutral b.

donkey kong: dk has a handful of sprite alignment issues (crouching -> down a) and some sprites have a weird larger jaw with a dopey face (down smash) but otherwise he's alright.

yoshi: yoshi's sprites could be better, but at least there are a lot of animation frames. neutral b looks weird (slow? yoshi has a weird face?) and down b doesn't quite have the same movement as in every other smash game and looks kinda weird but whatever

pikachu: his sprites would also benefit from a black border. wish he used more transparent effects. i don't know why up+b on air creates a dust effect since he's on air but maybe that happened in the original smash games too. weird crouching animation

pichu: i think his sprites are better than pikachu's. same comment about transparent effects though.

jigglypuff: no black borders. rolling animation kinda sucks and could easily have more frames by rotating existing ones. looks very weird if you just tap b without holding it. down+b animation has a lot of shaking for a sleeping animation. the rest seems ok though

mewtwo: some animations need work. the neutral b ball disappears for a frame when fully charged. down smash+a looks weird when being charged.

lucario: no black borders, could use better effects in stuff like side b, alright otherwise.

snivy: no black borders, but the sprites and animations are very good. neutral b's ball looks underwhelming graphically speaking

link: sprite alignment issues with down+a, b's animation looks weird (like he's going to shoot another arrow if held down too long, or just plain weird if b is tapped). bad effects for his aerial up+b, there have to be better, smoother looking sword slashing effects around. i like the new side+b

toon link: sprites kinda need work overall but i like that he's less of a clone

ganondorf: very good sprites. effects for stuff like smash forward a could be better, the grunt during his running a has a very low volume. i like the new moves compared to his falcon clone self from melee and brawl.

samus: charge shot ball remains on screen for longer than it should when fully charged (samus goes back to her standing animation but the ball is still there). the explosions in her smash up+a don't follow the tip of her arm cannon. she can potentially keep going up with her down+b to the point she'd die but i don't know if this was intended or what. her down+b animation could easily use more sprites since it's just a rotation. her sprites need a lot of work imo. ok otherwise

zero suit samus: really ugly effects but okay otherwise

ridley: down+b alignment of the fireball is weird considering his mouth. there are some good move ideas here. pretty good.

kirby: his inhale move looks pretty bad, the dust effect is too big and there's no indication of what the move's range is. up+b's animation looks weird. up+b doesn't seem to hit opponents standing on a platform above you.

gooey: i have no complaints about gooey. awesome job.

metaknight: subpar effects but ok otherwise

fox: subpar effects, palette needs more contrast? sprites aren't very good.

falco: holding a has a weird animation with pixels shuffling around a bit around his legs. like fox, his sprites aren't very good and i wish they looked more like mario and luigi's.

krystal: her sprites and animation are pretty bad and i can't really make out any details or what she's supposed to be doing. down smash+a looks particularly bad. voice samples have low volume.

captain falcon: all moves that involve fire (neutral b, forward b, down b) seem to have different colors for the fire. awesome sprite work

ness: smash down+a looks weird when charged (static dust effect). would benefit from transparent effects. pretty good otherwise

lucas: same as ness regarding the effects, some of the existing ones look cropped off, otherwise good.

porky: low volume on voice samples, no sound on neutral b. pretty good sprite work, would benefit from better effects.

marth: the way up+b leaves him in the air for a while looks weird. the sprites aren't amazing but they get the job done

saki: really weird standing animation, grab animation has alignment issues, sprites need work in general, not too bad though.

ice climbers: down+b is way too transparent. sprite work is pretty good though. nice

rob: the effects for his aerial attacks need to look more like an explosion. pretty good otherwise

duck hunt dog: the standing sprite is awesome, but the rest of the sprites have bad shading (pillow shading). some fun move ideas here

mach rider: the blue parts of his outfit need shading, or a better palette. it looks like only one color. pretty good animation otherwise. down+b should only have the dust effects behind him. you can hold down taunt+left or right and he slides and it looks weird but funny. i don't know if any other characters have this

mr game and watch: absolutely no complaints. excellent. the P1/2 indicator kinda blocks the number in his forward b

snake: several animations could use more frames. smash down+a explodes on snake's face before it's done but this might be intentional. down+b's trigger animation looks bad.

bummerman: down+a has alignment issues compared to his crouching sprite. forward+b doesn't quite look like an ice bomb when it connects with the opponent, shouldn't the opponent be frozen or something. if i mash an attack during his glide he keeps the momentum and can potentially fly infinitely upwards. despite these issues bomberman is very fun to play as and this makes me want to see him in an official smash game

rayman: don't have a lot to say here, awesome sprite work and no alignment issues.

goku: i'm not sure why goku uses large sprites when his jump ultimate sprites might have worked better here. there's no charging effect during the kamehameha. weird stuff if you hold downforward and press b repeatedly. he's alright otherwise

sonic: effect during side b looks bad but he's alright otherwise

tails: taunt voice sample is loud. frame during up smash a charge is not convenient. he's pretty good otherwise

knuckles: down+b has weird alignment on the rock when the rock is thrown, he's pretty good otherwise

shadow: stuff like side+b would benefit from better effects. ok otherwise

ristar: down+b's animation is weird and i don't know what's he's supposed to be doing during it. up+b's alignment is awkward compared to the floor's level, shouldn't it be higher? otherwise he's kind of going through the floor. looks weird. the rest is fine though

megaman: i wish the mm8 sprites were used here, but mvc's sprites will have to do. it's unfortunate that his 3 selectable weapons are the same he had in mvc which were pretty boring imo. i wish he was able to walk and jump while he charged his megabuster (which he does by turning pink, which looks flat out weird). forward+b when a rock ball is out makes it disappear which looks weird. effect during forward smash a is misaligned to his cannon. mashing downforward+b looks weird. his current sprites could blend in better with the rest of the cast with a different palette. i think he needs a lot of work

ryu: ryu is pretty good! i wish his cvs sprites were used instead. his sfa sprites are made for a wider resolution and look fat here. his running a looks weird and misaligned. like megaman, he wouldn't look so out of place with a different palette.

evil ryu: basically same comments as ryu

chunli: like ryu, her cvs sprites would've looked better here. she's pretty good though

phoenix wright: phoenix wright has good sprites. his neutral b, side b and up b being speech bubble attacks was kinda disappointing. bad shading on his crouch

geno: the timing stars can get lost in foreground elements as seen in the picture. text during up b isn't mirrored depending on the side geno's facing. his sprites are kind of bad and the palette doesn't help much either. his voice acting samples are too quiet and they kind of stink tbqh

overall, there are too many aesthetic differences between the characters. i think they should all have black outlines (makes it easier to see where they are too), similar palettes, and smooth transparent effects. existing 2d fighting games already have a lot to work from in this aspect so i suggest looking there. the blurry transparent effects used in cvs2 and POTS mugen characters would look good in this scenario. i would also suggest adding those motion lines seen in the new smash brothers, it would make it easier to see what each attack is supposed to do and where it's supposed to hit. a lot of attacks seem like they're missing sound effects. toad and bomberman are my favorites here.

this game has stages too. more stages than the only one i used in the screenshots.

battlefield: those bright lines need to be thicker, they start to get lost when the camera zooms out and it looks bad.
final destnaton: looks too blurry and transparent
good egg galaxy: this kinda needs better graphics, the basic 3d tree and house do not look very good.
saffron city: building on the right needs shading imo. both walls have the same amount of light and that doesn't look right
temple: this stage is an eyesore to look at. it's hard to tell where i can stand or not. i would suggest outlining the solid parts of the stage or something.
hyrule castle: looks alright i guess
vegetable valley: also alright
zebes: the rock textures look really bad
big blue: the textures with no shading look bad
kongo jungle: this looks okay but it clashes massively with every other 3d based stage
bramble blast: the spikes on the edges look misleading. like i wouldn't be able to hang from them and would just receive damage. this looks alright otherwise
excitebike: this is a good stage except for the bad grass texture. the bikes are rather silent though
fourside: buildings have the same shading issue as saffron city but this looks better overall
planet core: could use some more contrast, but it's the better looking 3d stage so far
mushroom kingdom: this stage looks very good. i would decrease the contrast of the background stuff so the player doesn't think they're platforms or things they can stand on or whatever.
shadow moses island: this is... pretty bland
suzaku castle: this needs work. ryu used to fight in the lower part of the stage. that would mean everybody in this game was struck by a shrink ray or sumptin. the background castle needs less contrast as to not confuse the player
cutman's arena: the stuff under the platform looks like a ladder but it can't be climbed. this stage looks alright imo
planet namek: this stage looks good albeit a bit dull
planet flora: this is alright
green hill zone: this is pretty good. i dont understand the shadow under the bridge though
chemical plant thing: the blue thing between the two main platforms looks like something you could stand on, but it's not.

i wish more of the stages were based on good looking 2d games, personally. the 3d stuff doesn't work out very well here.

overall i must give this game 7/10 in its current state. it needs a lot of work but there's potential.
Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 08:10:20 pm by Titiln
#12  October 10, 2013, 02:35:45 am
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
I once had a glitch where I knocked Ridely off screen, he lost a life, but he came back onscreen with the same percentage. He also tends to freeze a lot. He might need more work.
#13  October 10, 2013, 07:29:06 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Thanks for the review Tiltin
#14  October 10, 2013, 07:33:03 am
in hindsight it's way more feedback than a review like you'd see on a gaming website
#15  October 10, 2013, 10:48:36 pm
Mind if you review the most recent Super Smash Flash 2 demo, Titiln?
#16  October 10, 2013, 10:59:43 pm
as long as anyone developing the game reads the feedback
#17  October 11, 2013, 01:55:17 am
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
I'm sure they do.
#18  October 11, 2013, 01:56:16 am
i don't think any of the developers post here
#19  October 11, 2013, 01:58:38 am
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada
They used to for a very brief moment, but I don't know if any of them regularly hang around Mugen forums.
#20  October 11, 2013, 02:32:35 am
  • Samurai Sprite Ripper
  • Currently ripping Ninja Warriors
    • Japan
    • sites.google.com/view/kanbeiscreations/home
Last time I gave feedback for ssf2 Devs on Sora they threw a bitchfit saying "You are being picky we work hard here!". But besides that what nintendo characters are you guys planning to add? Villager? Issac? Pico?
Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 02:39:39 am by Kanbei
#21  October 12, 2013, 12:01:35 am
    • illmiss0incolosseum9@juno.com
Thanks sooooo much for the massive review, Titiln! Reviews like that are what help make better games. :3
(BTW I'm the head sprite artist for Crusade)

We have taken the review and we will make sure we fix any issues we see in it over time.
A lot of the ones you mentioned we already know, and we're working to fix them already.

Also, the character roster is a secret, so we cannot say who will be in later demos ~
#22  October 12, 2013, 12:58:25 am
thanks, i can be more specific in some issues if needed, because i'm fully aware i wasn't very specific when i said things like "thing doesnt look very good" or whatever.
#23  October 12, 2013, 01:06:47 am
    • illmiss0incolosseum9@juno.com
Well if there's more that can be said, feel free to say it.

For the record, all the 3D stages are being made into sprites, and all the oversized sprites are being resprited to be smaller eventually.
#24  September 03, 2015, 02:07:24 am
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
It has been a long time since we heard anything concrete from Super Smash Bros. Crusade, so I don't blame anyone (especially myself) for losing interest in the game. I hope that the trailer that I post will re-ignite some sort of spark for the game.
New #25  September 03, 2015, 02:47:12 am
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Hopefully they fix the A.I. a little along with several bugs I found:

-Most importantly, sometimes, the game, "half loads", the HUDs and stage load fine, but the music won't play, and it's extremely zoomed in on one point. The characters never appear, either, and the game gets stuck that way.

-It might just be for me, but if you click too much on the menu while it's loading, the game crashes.

-When you block one of Crash's TNT boxes, it'll still play the countdown noise.

-Some characters are extremely hard to use their Smashes with. Bomberman, Crash, and Mario for example, compared to Pac-Man.

-(Not a bug) They could really bring back character info along with the move descriptions, too...

-At Green Hill Zone, when knocked air-born, the A.I. will constantly go off screen, same with Planet's Core, Q*Bert, too. At Bowser's Castle, they'll suicide a lot, get stuck in lava, or just fall through it and die. They tend to air dodge a lot for no reason, too.

-Several glitches with the ghosts in the Pac-Maze, too. Mostly, it's possible to take 300%+ and even more if you get caught between the ghosts near their area at the right time.

-Pac-Man's Rev-Roll will go through enemies at far distances. His Down-Special could use some tweaking, too. I do like it, though.

-Wario's Final Smash is really hard to control, plus, it's really hard to get him to fart, too.

-Item sprites, and even things like Aku-Aku on Crash during the Final Smash will glitch and get stuck on their feet periodically.

-Also, Wario's Bike could really be fixed up a lot, it never seems to damage enemies, making it completely worthless, basically.

-(Not a bug)Crash's Fruit Bazooka takes far too long to put away after using, too.

-A.I. varies heavily from character to character, like Snivy and Tingle's compared to Captain Falcon and Porky.

-(Not a bug)Same with the artwork on the character screen, too. Pac-Man, Tingle, and a few others look extremely good compared to the rest.

-I once saw a enemy get hurt with invincibility activated.

-If you take too much damage on stages like Pac-Maze, you'll get stuck in a tumbling animation while spazzing out on the ground, giving your enemy a free hit, basically.

-Once on Pac-Maze, Ridley died, respawned with the launch effect still on him, flew at a really high speed, and then died again immediately.

-That annoying, recurring item glitch where, if you throw a item, and have it hit somebody, but you're too close to them, you'll take damage, too.

-Some characters need a bit of work, hitbox wise, like Snivy and Mach Rider.

Otherwise, this is a huge step-up from 8.4, I have a lot of fun with it compared to Flash, plus Crash's and Pac-Man's movesets are awesome. I really hope they bring back Rice Beach, with a layout change, though. Some Final Smashes need some nerfing, too.
Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 08:19:51 am by マリオ·ピザ