YesNoOk

1.1 Double Res portrait pack vol.2 *now in 120x140 scale* (Read 13930 times)

Started by Eric The Nihilist, August 28, 2019, 04:09:38 am
Share this topic:
1.1 Double Res portrait pack vol.2 *now in 120x140 scale*
#1  August 28, 2019, 04:09:38 am
    • Canada
I've been working on this for a while and I'm ready to dump the 700+ Double resolution (240x280) .PNG portraits that I've made.

I have lost a lot of motivation for mugen recently (no comment), but I'll be damned if I don't post this anyway. Especially since I put literally hundreds of hours into editing some of them; like the Kagayaru ones that I had to redraw like 50% of the damn things.

Anywho the last pack like this I released I got a lot of feedback about cleaning up better, upping the contrast/saturation and trying to get more consistent with framing. last post didn't get a lot of traction but at least 300 people downloaded the thing, and I've seen more than one port of mine sneak into a release or two. So I know at least some people are using them.

So here is the deal, below is a series of screenshots and example portraits characterized by publisher or franchise. Users with slow bandwidth beware. Download link at the very bottom.

Capcom
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Comics/Superheroes

Fighting Game Creator

Melty Blood

Original the Characters. Donut steel!

Power Instinct / Double Dragon

Shades of Manhattan

SNK

Variable Geo

Waku Waku 7

Yagawhatsitcalled

Big Bang Beat

Dragon Ball Zzzzzzz...

And a few more cameos here and there...

If you want to use these there is a few points to take into consideration.

1. You must use Mugen 1.1 If someone wants to convert any of these to pcx files for winmugen then go ahead and knock yourself out, but I don't use it so I'm not going to bother. This already took forever.

2. You will need to make sure the characters are 1.1 compatible, or the characters palettes wont work (or worse). If anyone has any questions about that I'll try to dig up the guide I made last time.

3. You will need to *decrease* the scale of the portraits you use by 50% in all the P1/P2 "big" locations in whatever system.def you are using. Again if you have trouble, just ask. (or whatever scale is relevant to the pack you use)

4. Use these however the you want. You want to edit them to some other template, or use it one for a pots style LV3 background? Go nuts. Credit is nice, but not needed, and asking permission is a waste of both our time.

and finally....

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/rsd96q0wgi6kmnp/Eric_The_Nihilists_1.1_port_pack_Volume_2.zip/file

***EDIT***
By request, 120x140 format. Yay for batch converters.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/m6s34emlcvb26sm/Eric_The_Nihilists_1.1_port_pack_120x140.zip/file
Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 04:08:23 am by Eric The Nihilist
Re: 1.1 Double Res portrait pack vol.2
#2  August 28, 2019, 05:04:39 am
  • If you want peace...Prepare for War
    • USA
This is a fantastic portrait set man, great work. I'm seriously impressed to say the least. I think you're the only other person to make as many portraits as I have, or at least close to it, and you're extremely good at it. I usually stick to the default size myself, but only to have them more universal and avoid the extra steps needed to use anything different as you stated. Seeing a set in this resolution though really makes me want reconsider how I do things in the future. Thanks for sharing all these, and again, outstanding work. It wouldn't be such a chore to use all of them if Fighter Factory allowed you to batch convert character .sff files.

Edit:
Do you also have these portraits in standard size as well? Just curious.
#3  August 28, 2019, 05:46:26 am
    • Canada
Thanks dude. I really respect the work you do, so that means a lot.

I haven't made anything yet in normal scale.

It wouldn't be so hard to do so I might give it a go one weekend if I have some new tunes I want to listen to. You know just chill out to doing something like that.

I'll keep it in mind for sure. huh...I guess my motivation may be back. that was quick. lol.

I may even convert to winmugen... but eeeeeehhh. I'm still leaning on a hard no on that. I haven't made any winmugen ports since... I dunno, when was Warzone the new hotness? whenever that was.

#4  August 29, 2019, 02:31:09 am
    • USA
The respect is mutual. Also, I definitely wouldn't mind seeing what you come up with for the normal scale realm. Like I said, I really like the double res ones that you made, but I can't use both yours and my own together which is lame. It would be so much better if Mugen allowed us to set the portrait scale the character instead of having to do it through the screenpack and affecting everyone. I wouldn't go back to Winmugen though, but that's just my opinion. I was one of the last people it seemed like to finally switch over to 1.0/1.1, and after doing it I can't think of any reason why I'd want to go back.
#5  August 29, 2019, 05:02:49 pm
  • Pixels are atom's of resolution,Low-res or Hi-res
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com
Its dope you did this,been wanting to do it myself,beat me to it,noice stuff
#6  August 30, 2019, 08:14:39 am
wow thank you for these!
#7  August 31, 2019, 04:06:30 am
    • Canada
So, it turns out that batch image size converters are a thing.

As requested I converted everything into a  120x140 standard port size, so no messing with the system.def needed.

Still 1.1 .png though, I'm not going back on that. personally, I think having them this small kind of defeats the entire purpose, but thats just my opinion.

Samples and link below.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/m6s34emlcvb26sm/Eric_The_Nihilists_1.1_port_pack_120x140.zip/file

I'll also update the first post.
Re: 1.1 Double Res portrait pack vol.2 *now in 120x140 scale*
#8  August 31, 2019, 09:37:37 am
    • USA
Heck yeah man, thank you very much! Doing this may defeat the purpose of releasing a "Hi-Res" pack, but it allows us all to still use the portraits without having to touch the system.def, as you stated. To be honest too, compared to 99% of the portraits most characters have or get released with, these are still massively higher in resolution quality, especially being non-indexed. I really just like the portraits themselves, and the sizes and frames you created them more than I like the fact that they were double resolution. That's just an added bonus for when I want to go that route. Anyways, thank you again.

also, that is a cool frickin Ronald McDonald port. Most definitely using that, along with most of your other ones.