YesNoOk

Files Needed Run DosMugen on Modern Computers (Read 64824 times)

Started by dxwho, September 18, 2018, 06:17:33 am
Share this topic:
Files Needed Run DosMugen on Modern Computers
#1  September 18, 2018, 06:17:33 am
  • I'm a llama!
So, I've got a Windows 98 pc which runs all my old DosMugen compilations and full games with no problem whatsoever.  I've always wanted to move those old compilations off that pc and onto my Windows 7 64 bit pc so I can enjoy DosMugen on the big TV I've got it hooked to. It never worked as I would get the "64 bit incompatibility issue" or a message saying I needed "cwsdpmi to run DosMugen."

Fortunately, I have found that a particular version of DosBox called DosBox LFN (supports Long File Names) works perfect (with a little help).
This version of Dosbox has Long File Name Support (without this support you'd have to rename all chars, stages, and whatnot to a max of eight characters and that would be total madness to do for a large collection like mine). In addition to using this special version of DosBox, you also have to download an executable called cwsdpmi.exe into the same folder as the DosMugen executable. It stands for Charles W Sandmann Dos Protected Mode Interface (I've included it in the download).

Everything seemed great until I noticed that 10% of my files would crash DosMugen using this system with an "Out of Memory Error." The Characters that were causing these crashes were the ones with the fat sff and sound files such as the Street Fighter 3 and Guilty Gear Dos Characters. Also, the one full game that also crashed was "Twisted Fate" by Kris Kazmer (also a huge memory hog).

It turns out that what I had to do was use a program called cwsparam.exe (which comes with cwsdpmi.exe) in order to modify the cwsdpmi.exe to get it to allocate more memory for these larger files.

I successfully modified the following attributes in the cwsdpmi executable using cwsparam.exe through dosbox:
(bold items are the new values I changed to)

Full Name Paging File ("" to disable) ? [c:\cwsdpmi.swp]
c:\cwsdpmi.swp
Number of page tables to initially allocate (0=auto) ? (0)
Minimum application memory desired before 640k paging? [512 kb]
2mb
Paragraphs of Dos memory to reserve when 640k paging? [3840]
Paragraphs of Dos memory for extra cwsdpmi internal heap? [256]
Maximum size of swap file? [128mb]
900mb
Value of run option flags? (0)

Now 100% of my DosMugen compilations and full games work and I'd like to share my files so everyone can get their old DosMugen stuff working (If you use a different method let me know.....)

Here is the link to the file containing all that needed:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/cb3lur
This file contains:
1)DosBox LFN
2) Twisted Fate Fullgame (to test the system out). Full credit to Kris Kazmer, Marc Echave, and Antonio Brown. Since its such a memory hog, it makes for a good "test game." :D
3)cwsdpmi.exe(already modified) and cwsparam.exe (these files must be placed in the folder containing the Dos Mugen executable that you'd like to run using DosBox LFN (I've already placed them in the Twisted Fate Folder).

Steps to run Dos Twisted Fate Fullgame:
1) Drop tfate3 folder in your c:
2) Install DosBox LFN
3) Replace your DosBox.conf with the one I created (I upped the memory and set it to look for the tfate3 folder in c:)
4) Launch DosBox LFN (will start you off in the tfate3 folder) then simply type "mugen" to launch the dosmugen exe
5) Enjoy DosMugen on a modern pc.

If anyone uses other methods to run DosMugen on modern PC's, let me know!

To run other compilations/fullgames using DosBox LFN, you must change the path located in dosbox.conf (scroll ALL the way to the bottom of the file). Also, don't forget to drop cwsdpmi.exe in the folder with your dosmugen executable.
Edit: It's also important to set your mugen.cfg a certain way:
Under [Video]
width =640
height = 480
depth = 16
stretch = 1
doubleres = 0
vesamode =1

Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 12:15:05 pm by dxwho
Re: Files Needed Run DosMugen on Modern Computers
#2  September 18, 2018, 03:56:14 pm
  • NINJA COP SAIZOU
    • Mexico
I don't use DosMugen anymore but you did a great job, impressive.
#3  September 18, 2018, 08:00:40 pm
    • Brazil
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100074220240917
i love reverse engineering
#4  September 18, 2018, 09:25:11 pm
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
"Twisted Fate" by Kris Kazmer
What a blast from the past. I've talked with Kazmer some months ago. He has a gameplay youtube channel today.
#5  April 06, 2019, 09:09:46 pm
  • I'm a llama!
While running through all my old Dos-Mugen Full games, I came across the "Black World" full game and found it to be an even bigger memory hog then "Twisted Fate." It was crashing with an "out of memory" error. I doubled the memory values used in cwsdpmi.exe (Charles W. Sandmann Protected Mode Interface) and now "Black World" also runs. I've included a small demo of Black World with the new modified cwsdpmi.exe and a copy of DosBox LFN.
 I don't think I'll find more Dos-Mugen full games needing greater memory than whats outlined below (If so, I'll update this pack in the future). This new cwsdpmi.exe can be used in place of the old one which came with "Twisted Fate" without any issues.
Full credit for "Black World" (included here simply for memory-testing purposes) goes to the games  creation team .

Updated Package Available Here:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/jsaylv

The new doubled values applied to cwsdpmi.exe using cwsparam.exe are in bold :
Full name of paging file ("" to disable) ? [c:/cwsdpmi.swp]
c:\cwsdpmi.swp

Number of page tables to initially allocate (0=auto) ? [8]

Minimum application memory desired before 640k paging ? [2Mb]
4Mb

Paragraphs of DOS memory to reserve when 640k paging ? [15360]

Paragraphs of memory for extra CWSDPMI internal heap ? [1024]

Maximum size of swap file ? [900Mb]
1800 Mb

Value of run option flags ?

The rar files contains:
1) bwneo0.3 (Black World early demo)
2) DosBox LFN (No installation required to use this version!)
3) My own DosBox config file (already is pointing to game folder...scroll all the way to bottom to see game path).

Steps to use:
1) Place bwneo0.3 folder in c:\
2) Unzip LFN version of Dosbox  (no install needed to run it!)
3) Replace the dosbox.conf file you get with mine (has correct path to bwneo0.3 folder).
4) Click dosbox.exe (should place you inside of bwneo0.3 folder)
5) type: mugen
6) Enjoy Dos-Mugen on modern pc  (only tested on Windows 7 64 bit)

Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 02:50:04 am by dxwho
#6  April 07, 2019, 02:44:33 am
  • I'm a llama!
Important Update:
If running Dos-Mugen on your c:\ drive then use c:\ cwsdpmi.swp as your swap file but if running Dos-mugen from a portable hard drive such as drive f, you have to instead use f:\ cwsdpmi.swp as your swap file or you'll get messages such as "cannot open file.sff" or "out of memory."
I run all my Dos-Mugen files off a 2TB portable hdd and therefore must use f:\ cwsdpmi.swp
How do I do this myself?
To modify cwsdpmi.exe you simply place cwsparam.exe in the same folder. Then launch DosBox LFN and navigate to that folder. Next run cwsparam using DosBox LFN and when it asks for the location of the page file use f:\cwsdpmi.swp or c:\cwsdpmi.swp depending on the drive your using (there are a total of seven questions which you must answer) . cwsdpmi.exe will now be permanently modified (until the next time you run cwsparam.exe).
#7  April 07, 2019, 05:42:08 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Another Update:
The finished version of "Black World" was throwing an "out of memory" message when shutting down mugen (didn't catch it). Therefore, I doubled the memory again.
New attributes used:
Full name of paging file ("" to disable) ? [c:/cwsdpmi.swp]
c:/cwsdpmi.swp

Number of page tables to initially allocate (0=auto) ? [16]
Minimum application memory desired before 640k paging ? [4Mb]
8Mb

Paragraphs of DOS memory to reserve when 640k paging ? [30720]

Paragraphs of memory for extra CWSDPMI internal heap ? [2048]

Maximum size of swap file ? [1800Mb]
3600 Mb

Value of run option flags ?

I have like seven or eight different versions of "Black World" and Jhun Hoon crashes each one so I removed him from the game (see pink box). I tested the rest of the fighters and they work fine.
Get "Black World" finished version (with DosBox LFN and cwsdpmi.exe which are needed to run it) here:
(all credit for this game goes to "Black World" creation team...I had no part in making it)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/extdnj

To play this game
1) Drop bw2k3fin folder in your c:/
2) Unzip DosBox LFN and replace the dosbox.conf with mine
3) Launch DosBox LFN (should place you in the bw2k3fin folder)
4) Type: mugen

Another Update: 
Make sure to use the correct drive letter! I was copying over cwsdpmi.exe with the "c:/cwsdpmi.swp" attribute to my f drive and was confused about all the "out of memory" messages and "unable to open file" messages I was getting ( I should have read my own post above and changed it to "f:/cwsdpmi.swp")     

Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 07:14:32 pm by dxwho
#8  April 07, 2019, 07:41:10 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Awesome!! I was feeling nostalgic with my old DOSM files but I couldn't run them anymore (for a while I used DOSBOX too to emulate it but that doesn't work anymore). I'll test this, maybe I can make a rescue of good 'n' old chars from that era. Thanks!!

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#9  April 07, 2019, 10:51:49 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Great to see someone who still has DosMugen games saved after all this time!
I've been using DosBox LFN with cwsdpmi.exe all day to check out my old compilations and full games (I have a lot) and it all runs and sounds great although DosBox LFN does seem to crash on load about one out of every ten times I start mugen. But it takes seconds to relaunch DosBox LFN and then start up mugen again (and Windows 98 is not needed anymore!) so I'm happy...............Let me know how your tests go. Do you run Windows 10?
Edit: Oh, and taking a screenshot with f12 works but will crash mugen as soon as you hit another key afterwards (like 80% of the time)....so probably best to avoid taking screenshots...........
Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 10:58:50 pm by dxwho
#10  April 08, 2019, 07:59:25 pm
  • Why,
But but :I...
It not also so FAST at it be... and possibles at crash are great...
Sometimes some programns get at so that NOTHING else BEFORE them... (?)

And sometimes memroy get end... and so on...

Great to see someone who still has DosMugen games saved after all this time!
I've been using DosBox LFN with cwsdpmi.exe all day to check out my old compilations and full games (I have a lot) and it all runs and sounds great although DosBox LFN does seem to crash on load about one out of every ten times I start mugen. But it takes seconds to relaunch DosBox LFN and then start up mugen again (and Windows 98 is not needed anymore!) so I'm happy...............Let me know how your tests go. Do you run Windows 10?
Edit: Oh, and taking a screenshot with f12 works but will crash mugen as soon as you hit another key afterwards (like 80% of the time)....so probably best to avoid taking screenshots...........
Can use also D: ? ... are that yours use also mount-think? Or how it "open" these D, C... well, that DRIVE MUST be REAL are or ?

Oh my... SO much time i play that DBZVSSF. Well... Actually, i put everyone these to work at win... but ... i donĀ“t like some results... :( .

Hey, can i help, or maybe i need help
Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 08:19:40 pm by EgyLynx
#11  April 08, 2019, 09:09:53 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I'll see if I can answer some of your questions (keep in mind that all my testing was done on a Windows 7 64 bit pc).

1) It is not as fast as is should be?
Answer: I also have a Windows 98 pc where I play these Mugen games and they run exactly the same as this version using DosBox.
Make sure your also setting the video settings in mugen.cfg as follows:
width = 640
height =480
depth = 16
stretch = 1
vesamode = 1
These settings are the ones that seem to work best with this version of DosBox (tried them on my Win98 pc and they also work the same) .

2) It crashes a lot?
Answer:
yeah, but only on start up of mugen (it will throw a FPU Stack Overflow error) and close DosBox. It only takes a few seconds to load the game up again. I've never had it crash while playing..........

3) Sometimes some programs get at so that NOTHING else BEFORE them?
Answer:
I didn't understand the question.......?????

4) Sometimes memory get end?
You should not be getting any "out of memory" errors if the swap file is placed in the correct drive (if using drive c then use c:/cwsdpmi.swp).

5) Can I use drive d:\ ?
Answer:
Well if drive d is a cd or dvd player drive then no because cwsdpmi.exe has to sometimes write to a swap file there and those discs cannot be written to on the fly like that.......

6) Can I use a virtual drive and mount an iso?
Answer:
Mugen doesn't use iso files so no need to mount anything virtually!

7) I use WinMugen a lot and like to play Dragon-Ball Z vs. Street Fighter
Reply:
Cool, I think I have some DBZ Dos full games. I'll see if I can upload them later.......

Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 09:20:09 pm by dxwho
#12  April 08, 2019, 10:28:11 pm
  • Why,
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I'll see if I can answer some of your questions (keep in mind that all my testing was done on a Windows 7 64 bit pc).

7) I use WinMugen a lot and like to play Dragon-Ball Z vs. Street Fighter
Reply:
Cool, I think I have some DBZ Dos full games. I'll see if I can upload them later.......
Well... actual JUST in ms dos that game... and when i try change them WIN version...(to mugen 1.0)  well... not good results... and get looking net these at better version...
And... i not KNOW are i am first who make at collection at Dbz vs ST vs SW... ( well... These orders... even check them, some person(s) not meet at game...
and some are not but... )

#13  April 08, 2019, 11:20:50 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Here is that DosMugen Dragon-Ball Z full game (full credit for game goes to DBZ Team at dragonball-fury.net).
 It used less memory then "Black World" and "Twisted Fate" so hopefully you'll have no problems running it. Let me know how it works for you.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/jmxr9z

1) unzip DosBox LFN
2) replace dosbox.conf with mine (has the path already set to start in  c:\dbz3).
3) place dbz3 folder in c:\
4) launch DosBox LFN (should start you in c:\dbz3)
Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 11:24:44 pm by dxwho
#14  April 09, 2019, 01:08:05 am
  • I'm a llama!
Also, if you want to create a DBZ vs SF compilation you can use the (classic) Street Fighter chars from this Omega compilation (full credit to Claudio Toxi for the Omega screenpack):
https://www.sendspace.com/file/y4i9k9

1) unzip DosBox LFN
2) copy over my dosbox.conf file (will start you in omegawvs folder)
3) copy omegawvs folder over to c:/
4) launch DosBox LFN (will start you in c:/omegawvs)

Ah...the good old days of DosMugen before everything became moleboxed (defeating one of the great aspects of mugen...mixing and matching).

Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 01:20:59 am by dxwho
#15  April 09, 2019, 07:41:42 pm
  • Why,
Well... i have put all Chars these 3 at one game ... Hynk...  And put some memory numbers bigger at it works=O ...

Hmm...
#16  April 09, 2019, 08:07:28 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Oh! You combined all the Dragonball Z, World Heroes, and Street Fighter chars into one big compilation and got it to run by increasing the attributes of cswdpmi.exe    :mlol:    Nice!
Please share the seven memory attribute values that  you used so that if others are having the same issues then they can also get it to run.........
That's why I started this post (to iron out any wrinkles in the system). By the way, what operating system are you using... Windows10?
#17  April 10, 2019, 01:24:04 am
  • Why,
Just try up 2* what them are...

Yeah... that it is... yawn...
#18  April 10, 2019, 06:43:13 pm
  • I'm a llama!
I've uploaded my "Messiah of Ambrosia DosMugen Compilation" (spack by Kgenjuro at daddelkingz.de).
More feedback on how the DosBox LFN/cwsdpmi.exe system is working out would be great........
https://www.sendspace.com/file/v86plv

#19  April 12, 2019, 01:38:51 am
  • I'm a llama!
Here is another DosMugen full-game from the golden age of Mugen gaming:
Brutal: Paws of Fury Remix by Doctor M.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/gubmtx

1) Unzip DosBox LFN
2) Replace dosbox.conf with mine (already points to "brutal" folder on c:)
3) Place brutal folder in your c:\
4) Launch DosBox LFN (will start you in c:\brutal)
#20  April 12, 2019, 02:28:23 pm
  • Why,
Hynk... i again get crazy...
Well... it seems at Brutal is just it beta...