YesNoOk

Shaq-Fu: The Silver Edition! (Read 1530 times)

Started by NDSilva, July 06, 2019, 09:03:24 pm
Share this topic:
Shaq-Fu: The Silver Edition!
New #1  July 06, 2019, 09:03:24 pm
    • Brazil
Let's bring back attention to a really underrated game, shall we? :wink3:

Well, I made a Shaq-Fu remake for MUGEN. Even though there's almost no previous MUGEN works related to this game to base upon... :wacko:

Still, it makes use of many features from MUGEN 1.1, and has even some "closed fullgame" style of coding. ;)

More screens:

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Silver Edition features:
  • Dynamic zoom and boundhigh effect
  • Character select screen animation
  • Custom victory screen, with a "Win/Lose" portrait style
  • Assets slapped together from many parts of the MUGEN community

DOWNLOAD

Stuff left to do:
  • Develop a super-cool & accurate shadow system, with looks and colors varying depending on each stage! :nuttrox:
  • Optimize the characters to have a single gameplay system. That, or maybe... remake them from scratch...? Well, it depends on how things will flow.
Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 12:32:51 am by NDSilva
Re: Shaq-Fu: The Silver Edition!
#2  July 07, 2019, 12:35:45 am
  • i will meditate and then write a really epic post
  • jai ho
    • Skype - executivepetrel
    • kawaiikings.net
I'm downloading now! Wondering if you fixed the awful lag at the beginning and end of jumps and attack animations in source.
youtube
●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬♥๑۩۩๑♥▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●
Put this on the profile of people who are known/wanted terrorists
that were involved in the September 11th attacks in 2001
- courtesy of Iced

DW

#3  July 07, 2019, 12:41:44 am
  • Uninvited claws
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Was it lag? It's been a really long time since I've played Shaq-Fu, though I remember one of the main issues was the animation style they went with in general. It was overly animated for a FG. Especially for such an early installment in the genre. It was developed by the same guys who made the early Prince of Persia games right? Giving it that same type of animation style like Nosferatu, the aforementioned PoP, and the one other game... Out of this World...? Can't remember the name...
#4  July 07, 2019, 12:51:54 am
  • i will meditate and then write a really epic post
  • jai ho
    • Skype - executivepetrel
    • kawaiikings.net
I was using lag as a stand-in for the amount of like extra frames there were in the animations, but you are correct DW. They animated it like their platformers, so there were extraneous animations at the start and end of their jumps, as well as the start and end of their attack frames. It made everything feel laggy and almost like it was very high gravity and slow motion.
youtube
Put this on the profile of people who are known/wanted terrorists
that were involved in the September 11th attacks in 2001
- courtesy of Iced

DW

#5  July 07, 2019, 12:56:27 am
  • Uninvited claws
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Ah ok. I'm not trying to be all super technical or anything lol. I was really trying to confirm.
#6  July 07, 2019, 01:07:39 am
  • Time to give back to this place. Starting now.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
I loved the crap out of Shaq-Fu back in the day. I hoped that one day somebody would do a remake to fix the jank that the game was notorious having. Either way, love that someone is going out and making a game.
#7  July 07, 2019, 03:15:13 am
  • R.I.P Mugen 1999-202X
    • USA
    • mugen.wikia.com/User:Jenngra505
Feel like this thread should be in Mugen Discussion until this becomes less of a proof-of-concept and more of an actual full game.
Hopefully someday I'll be able to make the little puffball on my profile pic.
(Sprite edited from Scrollboss' sprite)
#8  July 07, 2019, 02:31:31 pm
Wow looks great. Nice 1  :bravo:
#9  July 07, 2019, 04:21:15 pm
    • Brazil
Feel like this thread should be in Mugen Discussion until this becomes less of a proof-of-concept and more of an actual full game.
Makes sense. While the screenpack itself is indeed a brand new work, I also feel like I should tweak the characters (the "heaviest" part of the game) a bit more than adding a couple of codes in their DEF files and Statedef -2;

I shall move the topic back to Releases when I get some more work done, then. Afterall, even if a placeholder, it seems that each char needs to be considerably toned down in order to make the game less "buggy." (literally, I really need to get rid of that constant crash...!)
Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 04:29:04 pm by NDSilva
#10  July 14, 2019, 07:46:31 pm
    • Brazil
Alright, bundle has been updated, now occupying less than half of the memory it had before! :ninja:

The soundtrack was vastly optimized, with all tracks properly loop and croped, and unused tracks being removed;

Characters with 6-button playstyle had their motions adapted to a 4-button gameplay. Also, part of the custom graphics present in them got removed in order to make use of the system default fx - and also to cut a bunch of memory;

Download link remains the same. :thumbsup:

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

#11  July 14, 2019, 07:54:41 pm
  • The Quality Assurance Boy
    • UK
Seems competent.
Are you still working on Uncanny Match though? There's been silence tbh.
#12  July 14, 2019, 08:14:42 pm
    • Brazil
I still plan to work on that - in fact, this simple fangame can be considered a sort of 'practice', to turn on the heat again and apply my skills on the more ambitious projects, like Uncanny Match. :)