YesNoOk

Hooligan Combination vs M. Spider (Read 3696 times)

Started by rgveda99, January 31, 2017, 04:54:18 pm
Share this topic:
Hooligan Combination vs M. Spider
#1  January 31, 2017, 04:54:18 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Just curious what are your opinions on Cammy's Hooligan Combination (SFV/MVC2) as an evasive throw when compared with B. Mary's M. Spider(RBS).

Is Hooligan Combination nearly useless on high level play? Should it be as easy to execute as Mary Spider?

Should it require pressing another button to activate the throw?

Edit:
I'm thinking of adding Hooligan Combination to a character but not make it nearly useless or the other extreme which is abusive/inescapable.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 04:58:11 pm by rgveda99
Re: Hooligan Combination vs M. Spider
#2  February 01, 2017, 12:53:35 am
  • SNK is life
For starters, like you say, the input for Hooligan Combination could use some simplification. The unorthodox command lends itself to execution errors if you miss-time the punch button press.

Spider is easy to perform, but the spacing is key, and depending on how you code the hitboxes it may end up being not too safe or abusive, like you fear.
#3  February 01, 2017, 01:59:45 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
in some kof games mary has both the grab (qcf+P) and the overhead kick (qcf+K) which is what lead to some mind games (and you also have to add her slide CB,F+K to it)  the grab by itself would be pretty useless otherwise.
#4  February 01, 2017, 02:31:42 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Hooligan is not useless at all, usually depending on the game.  SF5 did simplify it's command but it's also a bit slower to fit with the system.  On the other hand you can use it in sneaky new ways that you couldn't before.
#5  February 01, 2017, 03:49:05 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
For starters, like you say, the input for Hooligan Combination could use some simplification. The unorthodox command lends itself to execution errors if you miss-time the punch button press.

I was never a fan of that input command. It does make it feel more rewarding when you've executed it against the opponent especially in Alpha 3.  :cowboy:

Spider is easy to perform, but the spacing is key, and depending on how you code the hitboxes it may end up being not too safe or abusive, like you fear.

Thanks for the info.  :hyo: M. Spider was very abusive in KOF98/97 even when its cancelled as a combo.  :(

I'm thinking of making the first few frames invulnerable just so it can be easy to evade fireballs but having a slightly smaller hitbox.  :book:

in some kof games mary has both the grab (qcf+P) and the overhead kick (qcf+K) which is what lead to some mind games (and you also have to add her slide CB,F+K to it)  the grab by itself would be pretty useless otherwise.

In Blue Mary's case there's less room for mistake.  :rifle: I was thinking of making Hooligan Combination an auto throw midway without the input command before hitting the ground. And may be just drop the Canon Strike.   :toilet:

Hooligan is not useless at all, usually depending on the game.  SF5 did simplify it's command but it's also a bit slower to fit with the system.  On the other hand you can use it in sneaky new ways that you couldn't before.

I like that you can slide from behind the opponent something in SSF2T, MVC2 and SFA3 was lacking.  :yeses:

sailormoongalaxy said:

DW

#6  February 01, 2017, 04:15:09 am
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
I've never played a KoF game with Mary in it to compare. Though I've always performed Akuma's Demon Flip as opposed to Hooligan Combo.
#7  February 01, 2017, 04:40:00 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
I've never played a KoF game with Mary in it to compare.

The thing with M. Spider is it can't be use as an air throw. But when cancelled from a combo (especially in a corner) its very cheap cause you have very minimal time to jump. Very little ground attacks would work on it once it is close to your character you're using as far as I can remember. Orochi Yashiro had a move similar to Blue Mary's which was also abusive.

Though I've always performed Akuma's Demon Flip as opposed to Hooligan Combo.

I liked using it too just for fun on single player mode.
sailormoongalaxy said:
#8  February 01, 2017, 08:07:42 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
If you want to see hooligan at its arguable best, go watch AE era Cammy matches, when hooligan was used in vortex setups.  Very scary stuff.