YesNoOk

Multi-Projectile Hyper damage problem. (Read 2292 times)

Started by NapoleonJonamite, July 09, 2011, 07:10:00 am
Share this topic:
Re: Multi-Projectile Hyper damage problem.
#21  July 11, 2011, 07:23:56 am
  • Hey!
    • USA
    • http://mugencoder.com/authors/view/napoleonjonamite
Yeah, it's definitely the dampener that's causing it.

Thing one. Only reduce the pausetime on the projectiles. See what it does.
Problem persists.

Next increase the pausetime to twice what it was
See above.

Last, decrease pause and increase hit.
See above.

The last possibility is dumb. I think that during the hitstates in your character you have some movetype = I states, so damage is being reset.
I ran a check, all hitstates are fine. The only movetype = I states I have are a taunt and a landing state made for one of her attacks.
"Hey, your beard's so dumb, it sits on the TV and watches the couch. Haha! That's a good one, Jack!" -Si Robertson
#22  July 11, 2011, 07:28:15 am
#23  July 11, 2011, 07:30:39 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Well, strange problem.
In the end, since you just don't want the dampener to be taken into account, then just do this to fix the problem (won't fix the "root of the problem", but it will be functional at least) :

1) Put your attackmulset in a floating variable. This means, instead of using value=blabla in your state-2, set fvar(XXX)=blabla, and use attackmulset=fvar(XXX).
2) Divide your damage for the projectile by fvar(XXX), using ceil to be sure it's an integer, and casting your damage to a float in the brackets to avoid problems :
Code:
damage = ceil(11.0/fvar(XXX))
#24  July 11, 2011, 07:36:04 am
  • Hey!
    • USA
Will look into that in the morning (Or some time this week as I will be busy). Just out of curiosity, where would I put the attackmulset and the fvar(XXXX)=X? Never worked with these before, so I want to be sure I'm not going to screw this up.
"Hey, your beard's so dumb, it sits on the TV and watches the couch. Haha! That's a good one, Jack!" -Si Robertson
#25  July 11, 2011, 07:40:25 am
    • France
:S

You just posted your dampener code higher. Modify it so it does the scaling in two steps instead of one, by passing through a floating variable :

[State -2, Damage Dampener]; Scaling in action
type= varset
trigger1= numenemy
fvar(LOLOL) = ifelse(enemynear, gethitvar(hitcount) = 0, 1, ifelse(enemynear, gethitvar(hitcount) = 1, 0.9, 0.8**enemynear, gethitvar(hitcount)))
ignorehitpause= 1

type= attackmulset
trigger1= 1
value= fvar(LOLOL)
ignorehitpause= 1

And set back your LOLOL variable to 1 when the opponent is not being hit (ie change your last attackmulset to a varset).
#26  July 11, 2011, 07:42:47 am
    • Thailand
The projectile can only be summoned once, so maybe it only reads the damage dampener code once, much like a hitdef that activates on one tick and after that doesn't get changed unless it's activated again or movetype doesn't equal attack. I could be wrong, though, as I've only used projectile for projectiles years ago and never again has it satisfied my coding needs again.

Maybe you could use a helper as your projectile and have a constantly active hitdef and then apply the damage dampener through variables in the damage parameter, like Cybaster said.

#27  July 11, 2011, 07:47:08 am
  • Hey!
    • USA
@Cybaster: I'm still learning, so give me a little slack. On top of that, I've also been sleep deprived here.

@Rajaa: I will consider using a helper, but I think the damage line that Cybaster posted could still be used in a projectile state.
#28  July 11, 2011, 07:50:20 am
    • France
It's just that you asked about your damage dampener code, even though you posted its code a few posts earlier. Whatever ...

And yeah, there's no reason for it not to work on projectiles. But hey, there was no reason for the dampener to kick in or not depending on distance (well, more time than distance, but you get the point), so you never know. ;P
#29  July 11, 2011, 08:20:13 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Actually, yes that would be it. The first 3 projectiles will be fired at full damage, they will only begin to reduce after p2 has been hit as projectiles don't update themselves based on parent or anything after release.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#30  July 11, 2011, 06:08:42 pm
  • Hey!
    • USA
Well Cybaster, are you ready for something really screwy? I did like you showed, and now she won't load at all.

Error message:
Error parsing [State -2, Damage Dampener]
Error in [Statedef -2]
Error in mercury.cns
Character mugenversion is older than this version of M.U.G.E.N.
Error loading chars/ffu_char1/ffu_char1.def
Error loading p1

Get this error when trying to test her in both WinMugen and 1.0. So what did I do wrong here when trying to mod the dampener and use the "damage = ceil(11.0/fvar(lololol))" thing (I did use a number in the parenthesis when I did the fvar)?
Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 09:33:16 pm by Napoleon Shreddamite
#31  July 12, 2011, 12:30:58 am
    • France
That's not screwy. You just wrote faulty code with bad syntax. Post your damage dampener code.
#32  July 12, 2011, 01:48:14 am
  • Hey!
    • USA
Okay, here it is after doing what you told me (Maybe I misunderstood a step):

Code:
type= attackmulset
trigger1= numenemy
fvar(1)= ifelse(enemynear, gethitvar(hitcount) = 0, 1, ifelse(enemynear, gethitvar(hitcount) = 1, 0.9, 0.8**enemynear, gethitvar(hitcount)))
ignorehitpause= 1

[State -2, Damage Dampener]; Full damage
type= attackmulset
trigger1= numenemy
trigger1= enemynear,movetype!=H || (enemynear,stateno=[120,155])
value= fvar(1)
ignorehitpause= 1

Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 01:53:58 am by Rajaa
#33  July 12, 2011, 01:51:25 am
    • France
An attackmulset doesn't have a fvar as output.
The sctrl has to be a varset (and not an attackmulset) with fvar(1) as output.
#34  July 12, 2011, 01:55:17 am
    • Thailand
Don't mind me editing your post. I pressed modify instead of quote. Luckily there's a back button. :ninja:

But, yeah, attackmulset doesn't set variables.
#35  July 12, 2011, 05:28:20 am
  • Hey!
    • USA
Okay, so I have two scaling steps, one with the fvar, and one to set the var, plus the full damage step. Okay, I see what I did wrong now. Thanks for helping me out there Cybaster.

And Rajaa, don't worry, it's cool. I've made mistakes on forums myself, just not moderator-type mistakes.

EDIT: Okay, so now I have this wonderful new bug. When the attack is used once in either range, the damage is fine, but when the attack is used a second time, it's an instant kill.
Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 05:34:13 am by Napoleon Shreddamite
#36  July 12, 2011, 05:54:58 am
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
displaytoclipboard
params = fvar(1)
text = "%f"

what is the value of fvar(1) when the attack completes?

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#37  July 12, 2011, 06:14:55 am
  • Hey!
    • USA
Couldn't tell you. The displaytoclipboard isn't showing me anything for fvar(1).

Here's the new damage dampener (If this helps):
Code:
type= varset
trigger1= numenemy
fvar(1)= ifelse(enemynear, gethitvar(hitcount) = 0, 1, ifelse(enemynear, gethitvar(hitcount) = 1, 0.9, 0.8**enemynear, gethitvar(hitcount)))
ignorehitpause= 1

type= attackmulset
trigger1= 1
value= fvar(1)
ignorehitpause= 1

type= attackmulset
trigger1= numenemy
value= 1.0
ignorehitpause= 1
#38  July 12, 2011, 06:19:44 am
    • France
The displaytoclipboard isn't showing me anything for fvar(1).
You have to sort this out, because this is how you'll debug your stuff. What appears in the clipboard? Also, add ignorehitpause=1 to your code.

Also, in your damage dampener code, you need to change the last attackmulset to a varset in order to reset your variable, as I told you before :
And set back your LOLOL variable to 1 when the opponent is not being hit (ie change your last attackmulset to a varset).

#39  July 12, 2011, 06:24:19 am
  • Hey!
    • USA
The displaytoclipboard isn't showing me anything for fvar(1).
You have to sort this out, because this is how you'll debug your stuff. What appears in the clipboard? Also, add ignorehitpause=1 to your code.

Also, in your damage dampener code, you need to change the last attackmulset to a varset in order to reset your variable, as I told you before :
For what I usually get in the clipboard, see my screenshots (guardpush = 0). I tried to figure out what went wrong with the fvar version, but to no avail. Also, by "add ignorehitpause=1 to your code" are talking about adding it the projectiles?

As for the last part, I guess the sleep deprivation has been screwing with me. Guess I better get on that real quick. I'll edit this post after I see what happens.

EDIT: Okay, so I did this:
Code:
type= varset
trigger1= numenemy
fvar(1) = 1
ignorehitpause= 1
And now even at a distance, the attack just gets weakened on the second use. I mean, I'll be at the full distance away and cause 176 the first time, and then just 16 on the second use. I must be wicked dumb with dampeners here because I don't think this should be happening. So, now what?
Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 07:23:15 pm by Napoleon Shreddamite
#40  July 13, 2011, 12:37:53 am
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
We are of the opinion that the fvar is showing a minor value because it is not resetting. This is why you need to make use of displaytoclipboard. %f is the wildcard for displaying a float value of the first parameter you request.