YesNoOk

original character spriting help? please read (Read 2114 times)

Started by Judas1, July 02, 2010, 10:04:43 pm
Share this topic:
original character spriting help? please read
#1  July 02, 2010, 10:04:43 pm
me and my friend are planning on making suigintou from rozen maiden, but both of us are completely new to mugen. Im planning to code, while he is doing the sprites. he can draw very good and has a scanner, but how exactly do you make sprites from scanned drawings? both of us have no idea what to really do but are serious about making the character. it would also be helpful if someone gave me tips on actually coding a character.

Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 10:08:40 pm by Judas1
Re: original character spriting help? please read
#2  July 02, 2010, 11:37:28 pm
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
That is a sprite. There is no difference between that picture and a single frame from a game. You could shove a series of photographs into a mugen character, they'd still be sprites.

You're asking rather broad questions. You'll need to go over that picture to get single colours, I would strongly suggest inking them in before scanning to make this easier. Coding = read some tutorials and learn some stuff. Looking at that sprite it's going to be a long time before you get that far with your character so spend some time breaking other peoples.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#3  July 03, 2010, 12:05:42 am
The drawing is unfinished. but what i want to know is how i can use that picture to make sprites that would be actually used in mugen. I dont know where to start at all, do i have to make sprites completely from scratch?
#4  July 03, 2010, 12:16:09 am
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
Most of us rip cos it's easier. Sometimes you can use existing sprites and edit them to look the way you want. If you plan to draw it, yes, everything from scratch.

There is no magic button. There are tutorials that will help you insert that into mugen. Read them and mess round. You will NOT get it right first time, this is normal.

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#5  July 03, 2010, 10:33:18 pm
Well, i still dont know what to do. I cant find a tutorial on using hand-drawn sprites. I want to make the sprite capcom style...
#6  July 03, 2010, 10:38:53 pm
I also tried putting the picture in fighter factory and it doesnt really work right. everything looks messed up compared to the original. the sprite isnt done but i figured id put it in to learn things about mugen, and this is what happened.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
#7  July 03, 2010, 11:34:59 pm
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
I am not overly surprised... Look. That IS a sprite. Follow a tutorial on how to add a sprite to mugen. What you have above is the logical result of an incomplete picture going in. Get it inked, coloured, shaded all that first. Then try.

Add some normal sprites too to see what the difference is between them and your sprite.

#8  July 04, 2010, 12:05:46 am
  • im finally just like everyone else
    • sites.google.com/site/thespritehaven/
All it needs is some color. :P

fucking bad poster asshole that home32 bitch
#9  July 04, 2010, 12:09:08 am
I know it's a sprite, i wasn't clear before. When i said "sprite" i meant the pixel version, not the pencil drawing. There are no tutorials about making the pencil drawing of the sprite look like these

#10  July 04, 2010, 12:14:34 am
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
Practice. That's the tutorial.

#11  July 04, 2010, 12:21:39 am
is there something that can just guide us in the right direction, the tutorials he has came across have not been much help and he literally has no idea how to use photoshop or anything. he can just draw, and im learning how to code. he can't really practice something he doesn't understand, he doesnt know what to practice or the slightest thing about spriting.
#12  July 04, 2010, 12:24:08 am
Just take your drawings, resize them and color them in with the pencil tool. It's not rocket science when half of it is already done. :P

#13  July 04, 2010, 12:30:34 am
Whoa that's it? Well thanks alot Dudley, much appreciated.
#14  July 04, 2010, 03:59:02 am
Well...when we put the sprite into the game its either upside down or a blank block -_- so whats up with that?
#15  July 04, 2010, 04:02:31 am
Show me the sprite, I might be able to help you. :P

#16  July 04, 2010, 04:21:47 am

Thats the sprite, its not finished and that is bigger then the one being used. everytime i try to put the sprite into the game, it shows a dark block or she is in weird areas, even if the sprite is in the right spot its upside down.  im follow the tutorial in the docs for palletes and im using fighter factory ultimate. i know theres probably something stupid im missing but i keep messing it up
#17  July 04, 2010, 04:32:45 am
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
Like i said. Ink it, shade it. That sprite breaks the standard rules of creating a palette.

Namely, your sprite should not share the same colours as the one you want to make transparent. Any tutorial would tell you this.

#18  July 04, 2010, 04:36:24 am
Color it as well.

#19  July 04, 2010, 04:38:26 am
so the problem is in the actual sprite and not my fault? would shading and inking it make it not appear upside down / disappear . i thought you said anything was a sprite, i dont know anything about this. i figured i could put that in. im just trying to learn , the sprite isn't even finished yet anyways.
#20  July 04, 2010, 04:40:22 am
I tried coloring it...looked pretty sloppy. What program would you use to color it?
#21  July 04, 2010, 04:43:14 am
Paint, PSP, Photoshop, GIMP. Those will all do, just use the paint bucket tool if you don't wanna get fancy.

#22  July 04, 2010, 04:49:19 am
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
That's where the practice comes in. MSpaint is fine. Nothing wrong with MSpaint, you just need to know what you're doing.

#23  July 05, 2010, 01:21:37 am
#24  July 05, 2010, 01:46:59 am
  • Figuring things out, one sprite at a time.
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Maybe someone has already mentioned it and I just overlooked it, but part of the reason you might be having difficulties is that the resolution of the image you are working on is very different from the resolution used in the examples you've been bringing up this whole time. To simplify that statement, you're working several sizes larger than what you want the end sprite to look like as far as I can tell. To help yourself out, you need to shrink it down to the size you want to be working at. For a more in depth example of what you want to do, visit the following site and read their section regarding fighting game sprites:

http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/tutorials/tuts/tsugumo/

#25  July 05, 2010, 02:03:01 am
  • A frame here, a pixel there.
What you'll probably want to do is trace over your scanned drawing pixel by pixel. Using a program that has layers will help, so you can do it without actually affecting your original drawing.
#26  July 05, 2010, 04:52:46 am
can anyone explain why shrinking the sprite would help. hes saying that resizing it wouldn't make it look anymore like a sprite, and i dont get how it would either but it also seems like common sense to resize it. also if anyone knows what tool in photoshop is best to make it like the style above it would help alot because he doesnt really get what hes doing.
#27  July 05, 2010, 05:10:55 am
Because resizing it gives it that pixel-esque look, and it's easier to trace.

#28  July 05, 2010, 06:18:29 am
  • A frame here, a pixel there.
also if anyone knows what tool in photoshop is best to make it like the style above it would help alot because he doesnt really get what hes doing.
Pencil, at 1 pt. size.
#29  July 05, 2010, 07:56:36 pm
Resizing it makes it harder to trace and when its small like that i cant even see the pixels. Its impossible. But if i zoom in on it to work on it, its gonna take INSANE time. I dont get how you guys do this
#30  July 05, 2010, 08:02:44 pm

#31  July 06, 2010, 03:47:22 am
    • best_quality.webs.com/

The image to the left is your original image. The image in the middle is your original image downscaled to fit the example image. The image to the right is an example image of the size you want for comparison purposes.

The reason you need to shrink your image is because your current image has a really high resolution, which will not match the example image. If you downscale your image similar to the middle image it will fit to the size you probably want. This will also make your image a low resolution image. By doing this, you will also have less pixels meaning less work. Also note that this means less detail. As for making your image look like the example image, that just takes practice like Cyanide said.
#32  July 06, 2010, 04:19:01 am
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
And inking that to get some SOLID outlines will make it much easier to work with and you won't get random pixels from pencil shading. You'll still get them, just less.

#33  July 06, 2010, 04:29:34 am
First you scan the NON-COLORED VERSION, into the computer and trace the black lines so that it becomes low-res, THEN you color it. :)

#34  July 06, 2010, 10:23:37 pm
can anyone tell him how to trace the image when its resized? hes telling me that he cant see the pencil or brush tool when he resizes the sprite, and when he makes the tool bigger its impossible to trace with because its too large, and not a pixel shape anymore its a circle shape. i dont know what this means, or if im explaining it right but hes refusing to post and still doing it when its  at its normal size which obviously wont work.
#35  July 06, 2010, 10:28:38 pm
Use 1pt, anything bigger is stupid.

#36  July 06, 2010, 10:43:37 pm
How am i supposed to trace a resized sprite when its too small to see anything? I cant even see what im doing, and i dont get why using 1pt is important. just makes it more difficult
#37  July 06, 2010, 10:48:17 pm
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
You have a zoom tool. Nobody told you this would be easy. If it's vanishing due to colour, use an obvious one like bright green and use the palette later to recolour it without having to redraw things.

#38  July 07, 2010, 12:27:33 am
What program are you guys using?

#39  July 07, 2010, 12:49:43 am
Photoshop CS5, i didn't resize the sprtie correctly the first time but i have it now and ive already started tracing.
#40  July 09, 2010, 04:07:22 am
I dont know what to resize the image to. I want to make it melty blood style. When i resize the image, there's a big loss in quality

#41  July 09, 2010, 04:41:33 am
That looks good, just crop out the image.

#42  July 09, 2010, 04:53:24 am
Crop out? what's that?
#43  July 09, 2010, 05:00:47 am
Make there less of the white background. Use the select tool, select the character and hit image>crop.