YesNoOk

Correct order in which to make characters? (Read 2285 times)

Started by Itxi, November 29, 2007, 11:58:03 pm
Share this topic:
Correct order in which to make characters?
#1  November 29, 2007, 11:58:03 pm
  • To be fair it didn't stab you
Firstly, hey everyone ^_^ I'm new to any sort of coding but hopefully I'll be able to work it out, I'm currently studying Physics at uni and hope some of my skills will come in handy  :ninja:

Before I even start making a character I'd like some opinions on the order of making, to clarify:

Should I do all the sprite work first? then make the actual character? Or should I be working on both of them at the same time, changing aspects of both? I mainly wanted to know because spriting will be the hardest part for me and I wondered if I could get it out the way first then just number crunch with all the code afterwards?

Many thanks
Re: Correct order in which to make characters?
#2  November 30, 2007, 02:11:07 am
  • Muay Thai drunk?
Well if you rip every sprite you might have extras left over, i'm doing both at the same time, rip a little code a little.
#3  November 30, 2007, 04:02:39 am
  • Three times thicker font than a normal user.
I'd say sprites first.
Imagine a zanguief runing to attack ryu, ryu does a quick+kind of weak fast punch and hit the chest of zanguief, will this punch be enough to zanguief say/think \"oh no, this punch hurted a little, I better stop the attack and put my hand on my chest to help contain the pain while ignoring if ryu is going to make other attacks now"

Cenobite 53 said:
If someone isn't able to get girls laid, why buying this exorcist needing piece of retardet piece of bullshit an not wisiting his local red light district. For that money he could  :hump: tons of hookers.
#4  November 30, 2007, 05:08:59 am
  • Non est hoc propter hoc sed propter est hoc
    • USA
    • doubletrend-zeta.neocities.org/
take around the first week to get the all the sprites in, them work on the animations.
#5  November 30, 2007, 06:01:26 am
  • Coming Soon?
I tend to do everything in a very modular way.  so first I got the stand animation to look right then got the other requireds looking right then the normals then the specials. adding sprites as I went.
Latest Yoshi alpha ready for feedback Aug 15th check here for details...
#6  November 30, 2007, 06:12:45 am
  • ~Cry Havoc And Let Loose The Dogs Of War~
don't do what I do LOL I ussually end up biting off more then my mouth can accommodate, I do believe you should do all sprites first cause they can be the most time consuming, coding next cause it can be easier then sprite editing (in my view anyways). What I do suggest you don't do is what I am doing coding, edit sprite, coding, add sprite, coding, edit sprite, coding, add sprite.
When you know a thing, to hold that you know it; and when you do not know a thing, to allow that you do not know it - this is knowledge.
Confucius
#7  November 30, 2007, 09:42:46 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Depends on how you like working.

Many experienced creators work on the sprites first : they rip them from the game, with correct axes, and include them all in the SFF. Then they created the animations and import CLSN boxes directly form the game. With that done in 1 day to 2 weeks, they can now start coding the character without worrying about graphics.

You want to create a character from scratch, which is a whole different matter, especially if your spriting skills are not warner's ones for example.
So usually, what you'll do to keep motivation is sprite one move, put the graphics inside the SFF, then code the AIR file with CLSNs too and do the whole coding for the move. Then, you test the char and see it progress little by little.

So basically, what Mike said :
i'm doing both at the same time, rip a little code a little.
#8  November 30, 2007, 02:48:15 pm
  • To be fair it didn't stab you
Thanks everyone :)
Yeah, I am creating characters from scratch. Think I'll work both aspects side-by-side. Otherwise I probably would leave the project half-way through. Its good to see some progress. Plus I might find out I've missed out an important animation halfway through the coding and have to go right back to sprite work anyway :)
#9  November 30, 2007, 08:42:17 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
design first. sprites and what not can come later... i have several code templates and most fo the time just pre-code the moves before even ripping the sprites.