YesNoOk

is character making easy? (Read 2252 times)

Started by houseofusher7, February 01, 2008, 07:35:04 am
Share this topic:
is character making easy?
#1  February 01, 2008, 07:35:04 am
ive never attempted anything like this before but id like to add to the community im a huge comic book fan and ive noticed a lot of characters not around, but i dont know if this is something easy to do, are there tutorials around as well?  thanks
Re: is character making easy?
#2  February 01, 2008, 07:38:48 am
  • I am a ghost.
    • USA
    • www.bmarquis.com
it's like pimpin, playa.

of course there's tutorials around. many are here in the forum. I don't know if the search feature's any good here, though.
There's also people willing to help you. just remember to search first.
Accusare nemo se debet nisi coram Veridis
DYNOMITE
#3  February 01, 2008, 07:43:35 am
thanks, i just signed up and ive been trying to find where everything is around here
#4  February 01, 2008, 07:48:56 am
  • A frame here, a pixel there.
It really depends on what you're going to make. Making your own sprites from scratch will obviously be harder than using ripped sprites. Trying to create something with lots of subsystems will obviously involve lots more coding and debugging effort than something simple ala KFM. Trying to make something accurate to an existing game will involve lots and lots of comparing of timings, velocities and such. There's no easy answer.
#5  February 01, 2008, 07:53:06 am
  • what a shame
    • Iran
This is a golden rule for *almost* everything in life,including character creation : Start out small,then move onto big things.
#6  February 01, 2008, 07:57:17 am
yea i was looking forward to attempting to make archangel but i don't know how id really go by it, the only game with him i know of is x men legends 2, and unless i can load up a already made person and then edit them to turn to him im not sure.  i guess i  wana jump right in but im all full of questions.
#7  February 01, 2008, 09:02:30 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Seriously. Start out with rips. Edits are VERY ambitious, and generally fail unless you're mr hyper enthusiasm and actually good with mspaint or a tablet.

Lots of rips online. Or you can learn to rip yourself, it's pretty simple when you get the hang of it.

Anyway, yes code is easy. It's all pretty plain english. In fact the thing 70% of aspiring coders find hard, is setting up their pallete correctly. From there it's pretty plain sailing.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#8  February 01, 2008, 02:41:33 pm
    • ynvaser.extra.hu
It's not hard, if you have some necessary tools. I recommend you Fighter Factory (It's a charmaking tool), the GIMP (a drawing tool, and can make sprites as well), and some kickass music, so you won't get bored too much.
#9  February 01, 2008, 05:48:49 pm
  • Three times thicker font than a normal user.
Any idiot can wield a sword and swing it. But it takes time and dedication to master it.

Think about it.
Imagine a zanguief runing to attack ryu, ryu does a quick+kind of weak fast punch and hit the chest of zanguief, will this punch be enough to zanguief say/think \"oh no, this punch hurted a little, I better stop the attack and put my hand on my chest to help contain the pain while ignoring if ryu is going to make other attacks now"

Cenobite 53 said:
If someone isn't able to get girls laid, why buying this exorcist needing piece of retardet piece of bullshit an not wisiting his local red light district. For that money he could  :hump: tons of hookers.
#10  February 01, 2008, 06:21:51 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Seriously. Start out with rips. Edits are VERY ambitious, and generally fail unless you're mr hyper enthusiasm and actually good with mspaint or a tablet.
there is one exception to the edits rule, and that's with guys that are good or like gfx arts and decide to kjust make the edits and get someone else to do the coding.
#11  February 01, 2008, 07:14:47 pm
ive been following some tutorials on you tube, so far okay i am stumbling here and there, my characters way too big so i dont know if i can just crop the bmp or if that would mess stuff up, and the background for the character loads in mugen when it shouldn't appear, but i am up to the animations right now.
#12  February 01, 2008, 07:19:29 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
we have a gfx arts forum just for that stuf, you know?

vyn

#13  February 01, 2008, 08:46:34 pm
    • Mexico
    • armandojc3@gmail.com

Lots of rips online. Or you can learn to rip yourself, it's pretty simple when you get the hang of it.

Anyway, yes code is easy. It's all pretty plain english. In fact the thing 70% of aspiring coders find hard, is setting up their pallete correctly. From there it's pretty plain sailing.

very true
#14  February 01, 2008, 09:18:11 pm
  • I got a PM.
Yes read but also get fighter factory and start messing around with the code and sprites for Kung fu man and other characters. I'm still learning but after you glance over the text look at someone elses code and trust me you will learn a lot. I think the best way to learn ai is by seeing what others have done.

DMK

#15  February 01, 2008, 09:23:45 pm
  • 141⅔% chance of winning
    • USA
    • www.twitch.tv/ThisbeDMK

It's like you know me or something.
#16  February 01, 2008, 10:50:33 pm
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Nice to see you took the "start with rips" seriously.

For the record, unless you're making a boss character, you're going to need to create ABOUT 200 sprites. Have fun.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#17  February 02, 2008, 02:20:01 am
well what i plan on doing is using banshee as my base creating either angel or archangel ive been finding a lot of different tutorials on youtube, but i think that since banshee has the cape/wings in the back it will be easier to use him as a base.