YesNoOk

[WIP] Jailbot (from Superjail!) *POST-RELEASE UPDATING* (Read 399828 times)

Started by altoiddealer, April 16, 2013, 04:00:56 am
Share this topic:
Re: [WIP] Jailbot (from Superjail!)
#301  July 09, 2015, 06:11:04 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
People don't usually have the Hyper portrait as part of the palette :P

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#302  July 09, 2015, 06:19:09 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
I know :)

I'm trying to add some unique flair to this character wherever I can.

If I can't get it to look nice (softer), or if it becomes overly complicated (it's really not too bad atm), then I'll disregard the dynamic palette on the portraits and stick to what I already have.

I'm contemplating using an Explod overlay like this for all of my character's sprites.  It would sure make palette editing a breeze, especially if I CS Jailbot's panels (which would essentially add like another 20 colors).  His general "shell" would then be 3 colors opposed to ~40, with a ~20 color grayscale overlay.  I'm not sure if there would be sprpriority issues though when interacting with P2.

#303  July 09, 2015, 11:48:44 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
There sounds like there will be issues regarding custom states, unless the overlay encompasses the entirety of Jailbot, regardless of what angle he's at.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#304  July 10, 2015, 12:49:44 am
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
There sounds like there will be issues regarding custom states, unless the overlay encompasses the entirety of Jailbot, regardless of what angle he's at.

Thank you for pointing that out, because that DEFINITELY destroys that idea :)  I can't believe I didn't think of that!

BTW for anyone wondering, in all of the default/required anims where I have Jailbot's face drawn BLANK and his face overlayed with the dynamic "look-at-player2" Explod effect... I actually have duplicate anims: his face is drawn on the required state number anims to function properly when put into custom states, but I don't use these in my code.  I use the custom ones.  Examples: State 0 face is drawn on.  State 1, no face.  State 20 face drawn. State 19, no face. etc etc etc etc.

Here is a more serious attempt at the dynamic palette Hyper portrait BG.
(Anim Deleted)

...Comments anyone?

I know the original anim looks better (look back 2 pages).  My thought is that I have this version triggered if Jailbot is using any other palette than the default.

If the consensus is that this isn't so great, then I'll just sweep this idea under the rug :)  Would love to get some feedback

Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 01:41:24 pm by altoiddealer
#305  July 10, 2015, 03:52:12 am
  • Gamer extraordinaire
    • USA
    • Skype - Shadow0X3
I actually rather like it. Seems like you're going the extra steps to make this character excessively unique, and it's nice, especially seeing as how most people show up with characters that are halfway made and say it's a finished release.
Also, if my opinion matters here, I prefer the AD1 method shown above. The Full ADD gives the fan blades a bit more transparency than I would personally like, since they aren't actually transparent. However, for people with other preferences, it wouldn't be difficult or impossible to include an alternate version via config .txt file for Jailbot. I know I've referenced the Z2 characters a few times here, but they do so much right, so yeah, you could take a look at them for what I'm talking about with config.txt

If you see a Diverien, it's almost definitely me. So say hi :D
#306  July 10, 2015, 04:42:49 am
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
I actually rather like it. Seems like you're going the extra steps to make this character excessively unique, and it's nice, especially seeing as how most people show up with characters that are halfway made and say it's a finished release.
Also, if my opinion matters here, I prefer the AD1 method shown above. The Full ADD gives the fan blades a bit more transparency than I would personally like, since they aren't actually transparent. However, for people with other preferences, it wouldn't be difficult or impossible to include an alternate version via config .txt file for Jailbot. I know I've referenced the Z2 characters a few times here, but they do so much right, so yeah, you could take a look at them for what I'm talking about with config.txt
Most ppl seem to have a good chunk of the work ready for pickup, too, like a ripped spritesheet, soundpack rips, etc.  Anyone crazy enough to do everything from scratch... I can't imagine cutting corners, that defeats the whole purpose :)

Yeah the Z2 guys look like they really know what they're doing.

I wasn't aware of their config file or how that works, so I will definitely check that out.   I'm sure ppl will want the option to disable blood FX, the custom eyes, the winpose that manipulates P2, and as you suggested toggle the Hyper Portrait appearances.

#307  July 10, 2015, 08:43:48 am
  • Gamer extraordinaire
    • USA
    • Skype - Shadow0X3
A real quick explanation is just a series of varsets in a .txt file labelled in the .def as one of the state files. Mugen reads that .txt the same as a .cns or .st and any relevant lines are accepted as code. So if you just comment out whatever explanations are in the file, you can give instructions for setting up the character. Say you have four options for the Hyper BG Portrait, you just make it State X and give it a varset with var(y) and then whenever you're going to call for the Hyper BG, in the code that would display it, just check what var(y) is equal to and use that to enter the correct state/use the correct animation

#308  July 13, 2015, 05:29:19 am
  • I'm a empty vessel seeking to be filled.
    • USA
@altoiddealer:

Anyone crazy enough to do everything from scratch... I can't imagine cutting corners, that defeats the whole purpose :)

Well would you look at that... Finally! Someone that understands what we go through. Keep up the good work and (1) dont feel rushed and (2) take your time to enjoy the work that you are doing.
#309  July 25, 2015, 08:45:38 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
It's been awhile, so I figured I would post a status update!

Although I don't have much new to show in terms of animations...
(Anim Deleted)

...I want to report that I've spent a ton of time since my last post revisiting all of my code, fixing stuff that I knew was broken, and adding features that I did not think of then.  Ultimately, I want this character to play nice in Team Mode, and possibly even make him both 1.0 and 1.1 compatible (Not sure yet if 1.1 compatibility is even possible with some of his features).

Below are some details for those interested in knowing the specifics, which maybe other coders could find some stuff interesting.

Major Changes to Jailbot's Code
  • All of Jailbot's HitDefs now include these attributes, which allow excellent control and specific redirection for some of the crazy crap I'm doing in Custom States:
Code:
fall.envshake.freq = TeamSide ;provide Jailbot's Teamside
fall.envshake.ampl = ID ;provide Jailbot's PlayerID
fall.envshake.phase = var(59) ;provide Jailbot's Pre-Determined WinPose
  • Replaced as many "p2" triggers and PosTypes as possible with ones based on P1.
  • Whenever Jailbot has a non-helper Target, the target's PlayerID is stored in var(58)
Code:
[State -2, Log the current target's PlayerID]
type = VarSet
trigger1 = numtarget
trigger1 = target,IsHelper = 0 ;Do not trigger for helpers
var(58) = target,ID
ignorehitpause = 1
That var is now being used for ALL redirections to the opponent (Except for when the enemies targetID is more appropriate).  In the event that this method fails, I always have a fallback code.
Example:
Code:
[State 1841, 1] ;Walk towards enemy's body
type = VelSet
triggerall = anim != 1849
trigger1 = PlayerIdExist(parent,var(58))
trigger1 = abs(PlayerId(parent,var(58)),Pos X - Pos X) > 1.5
trigger2 = !PlayerIdExist(parent,var(58)) ;fallback code
trigger2 = abs(enemy,Pos X - Pos X) > 1.5 ;fallback code
x = 1.5

Custom Winposes to control deteated opponent
  • System completely rethought/rebuilt.  Works much better than what all the MK characters use for their Fatality systems
  • Cleanly supports multiple win-poses
  • Should play nice with TeamMode
  • I will be updating my guide soon with the new system
  • "Ice Cream" win pose improved to be much more dynamic.  The enemy is no longer teleported to a fixed location during the first cutscene.  The position of the enemy's head is now accounted for when the ice cream is shot at the enemy

Arcade Hyper
  • If the enemy evades the attack and hits Jailbot, the screen will flash, and a looped electrocution anim will bind to Jailbot for a moment coupled with a nice sound effect.
  • If Jailbot gets hit while the enemy is trapped in the beam, but BEFORE he starts getting pulled in, the enemy will SelfState to 5050.

Turbine Hyper
  • The 3 attack variations (Normal / Medium / High) are now governed by what input being held down during the "charge-up"
  • My original "detect opponent's position" feature that auto-triggered the best possible attack variation... has not been removed entirely. If Jailbot is an AI, it will trigger this behavior instead of the input  :devil:

"Come here!" Spear attack
  • Spear will now disconnect from Jailbot and continue flying off the screen if Jailbot gets hit (while it is still coming out)
  • Spear animation will now freeze, and the helper will fade away if Jailbot gets hit AFTER it is fully extended
  • Spear animation will now freeze, and the helper will fade away if a projectile hits the spear
  • Spear now retracts nicely when guarded
  • Simply put, this move proved to be very complicated with all things considered

Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 01:41:51 pm by altoiddealer
#310  July 27, 2015, 01:35:58 am
  • Gamer extraordinaire
    • USA
    • Skype - Shadow0X3
In the event of the spear disconnecting, does it act as a projectile and continue to damage opponents (or possibly allies acting as a punish for using the move unsafely??) as it flies of screen?

#311  July 27, 2015, 03:05:10 am
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
In the event of the spear disconnecting, does it act as a projectile and continue to damage opponents (or possibly allies acting as a punish for using the move unsafely??) as it flies of screen?
Good thinking there... I actually didn't think of the "disconnected" hit behavior at all!

I actually like the idea of the friendly fire.  Maybe, just maybe, I'll make the actual attack have friendly fire, with a custom reaction of Jailbot looking apologetic and releasing the player without pulling them towards him.

I'm going to post a video in the next day or two showing the current status of this character.  I'm happy to say that things are looking pretty good at this point.

#312  July 27, 2015, 04:11:25 am
  • Gamer extraordinaire
    • USA
    • Skype - Shadow0X3
All of these little details are going to make this character so weird to figure out, especially if Elecbyte ever takes 2v2 any form of seriously

#313  July 27, 2015, 04:48:00 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
All of these little details are going to make this character so weird to figure out, especially if Elecbyte ever takes 2v2 any form of seriously

The intense system I have for the trigger redirections to the opponent, don't make the gameplay mechanics strange or different -- the system is in place just to prevent bugs during teammode.  Without it, the trigger redirections would often be triggered by the incorrect opponent, and things would go haywire. This system abolishes the need for "enemy,trigger" "P2Dist", "P2StateNo", etc.

Jailbot does have some interesting moves though, I can't argue with that :)  The hardest thing to come to grips with will be the removal of Crouching, but other than that nothing else is particularly complicated for the user IMO.

HERE'S A VIDEO DEMONSTRATING THE CURRENT STATUS OF JAILBOT! - 7/27/2015

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:11:39 pm by altoiddealer
Re: [WIP] Jailbot (from Superjail!) *New Video 7/27/2015*
#314  July 27, 2015, 06:38:40 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Very nice progress so far. I loved everything in that video and it's only a small testament to how much work you've done on Jailbot. I actually cringed a bit seeing that spear through KFM's face, lol. Is the Arcade Hyper a level 3? I can't tell due to the confusing lifebars. If so, the damage should be a lot higher. This character has so much personality and extra details. On top of that, you're documenting certain processes for the community to know about. That's something almost no one does. Kudos for all and more! :D

-[Все слова это только слова.]-
#315  July 27, 2015, 06:54:13 pm
  • You PC bro?
Altoid bro i'm speechless from watching that vid! All the incredible progress you've made so far on this unique mugen character is just... wow lol. You have the potential to create a legendary mugen character and make yourself a legend too. Like i said before, I sincerely hope you stick around dude because you put a hell of a lot of effort into this mugen character, mannnnnnn imagine what you could do creating other characters, stages, screenpacks, just the thought bro! Keep up the great work dude, you have a natural talent for stuff like this!
#316  July 27, 2015, 07:07:58 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Altoid bro i'm speechless from watching that vid! All the incredible progress you've made so far on this unique mugen character is just... wow lol. You have the potential to create a legendary mugen character and make yourself a legend too. Like i said before, I sincerely hope you stick around dude because you put a hell of a lot of effort into this mugen character, mannnnnnn imagine what you could do creating other characters, stages, screenpacks, just the thought bro! Keep up the great work dude, you have a natural talent for stuff like this!

Or collaborations with other talented creators. *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge* ;) Not trying to think too far ahead of the future for you, but a stage would be way easier than what you're doing here. Might be fun as a small side project after Jailbot.

#317  July 28, 2015, 01:03:35 am
  • Gamer extraordinaire
    • USA
    • Skype - Shadow0X3
Might be interesting to see a "Superjail" stage or themed stage to go along with Jailbot, for a home turf kind of deal. And I can't watch videos at home because satellite internet, but I'll have to check that out at work tomorrow

#318  July 28, 2015, 02:50:40 am
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
There will definitely be a Superjail stage!

#319  August 03, 2015, 02:18:25 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
Anyone ever include a custom intro with their character for mirror matches?

...I did!  Most of it is a cinematic.  Below is a teaser frame from it - you'll have to wait until Jailbot is released to experience it, though.  Lot's of "TeamSide" triggers to manipulate both characters from the same state.

After toying around with some Photoshop filters, I found a combo that massively improved the quality of the "lossless" DVD ripped frames (The extraction was lossless, but I don't know about the quality of the DVD itself...)

(Anim Deleted)

The cinematic is a whopping 364 frames.  I originally formatted the sprites 720x480, but I instead went down to 480x320 so that it only weighs 16MB vs 66MB.  Yeah, huge difference there.

I'm putting myself on a break for one month.  I've been working too much, too fast - I'm coding in my dreams!  I'll have something new to share on this project in September.

Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 01:42:16 pm by altoiddealer
#320  August 03, 2015, 02:32:09 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Anyone ever include a custom intro with their character for mirror matches?

...I did!  Most of it is a cinematic.  Below is a teaser frame from it - you'll have to wait until Jailbot is released to experience it, though.  Lot's of "TeamSide" triggers to manipulate both characters from the same state.

After toying around with some Photoshop filters, I found a combo that massively improved the quality of the "lossless" DVD ripped frames (The extraction was lossless, but I don't know about the quality of the DVD itself...)

Spoiler: One finished frame (click to see content)

Spoiler: DVD ripped frame (click to see content)

The cinematic is a whopping 364 frames.  I originally formatted the sprites 720x480, but I instead went down to 480x320 so that it only weighs 16MB vs 66MB.  Yeah, huge difference there.

I'm putting myself on a break for one month.  I've been working too much, too fast - I'm coding in my dreams!  I'll have something new to share on this project in September.

Awesome man. I hope you enjoy your well deserved vacation. :)