YesNoOk

Mortal Kombat HD Kollection  (Read 16829 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, August 17, 2010, 08:16:01 pm
Share this topic:
Mortal Kombat HD Kollection
#1  August 17, 2010, 08:16:01 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Mortal Kombat HD Kollection Confirmed In Development

Earlier this week, four European game retailers (gamemania.be, ShopTo.net, vanstockum.nl & bol.com) all listed a Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection game for pre-order with a release date of November 2010 for the PlayStation 3. One store even noted that the mystery game will come with a demo for Mortal Kombat (2011). Most of the stores have since removed their listings soon after posting them, but the timing of their listings likely means they were informed of the game was coming before Warner Bros. was ready to announce it.

Was it too much of a coincidence that multiple stores posted the same game, only moments later to have it removed? It appears not.

TRMK has independently confirmed with multiple industry sources that a high definition Mortal Kombat arcade update is indeed currently in development. Mortal Kombat HD Kollection will be a 2D Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection (MK1, MK2 and UMK3) featuring all-new high resolution in game graphics - not simply upscaled graphics, but sharp, crisp, awesome-looking High Definition graphics.

Unlike Capcom's Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix, which required new character drawings, remaking Mortal Kombat in high definition is not as easy. In order to properly recreate the series in HD, Warner Bros. needed to film actors performing the moves like they originally did 20 years ago, just now with better high-definition cameras. Resorting to hand-drawn characters, or using 3D models in place of real actors would just not look right and cause many fans to revolt. However, things are not as simple as that. Since the previous actors are now 20 years older and - in most cases - wouldn't look to be the right age in high definition, Warner Bros. has hired new actors for the various roles and have been busy capturing them over the past few months at a Warner Bros. Studio in Los Angeles. TRMK has also heard that some of the original cast is involved in the filming in some capacity as well.

For an example of the quality of the original captures, take a look at the recently released raw footage from Mortal Kombat 1 over on Daniel Pesina's YouTube account. Clearly back then, the camera used was not of the highest quality. Also, many of the filming sessions were not shot in front of a blue/green screen for easy chroma key. Obviously, a reshoot would be necessary in order to get a proper High Definition worthy image of the characters for an updated Mortal Kombat game.

Since we know the filming was taking place as recently as earlier this month, the latest rumors placing it's release to be before Christmas is questionable. While it is possible, the rumored release is fairly unlikely unless the replacement of the character sprites is one of the final steps left in development. It just seems too close to be possible given time needed for testing, certification, etc. We also doubt that Mortal Kombat HD Kollection is only for the PlayStation 3 unless some really good exclusivity deal was reached with Sony, as currently fighting games for both systems sell fairly well unlike the previous generation of consoles which favored the PlayStation 2.

Finally, we are not entirely sure who is the developer of this "Kollection", as the main staff at NetherRealm Studios is busy with Mortal Kombat (2011). Our guess is Backbone Entertainment, the developers behind the downloadable ports of Mortal Kombat II and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. Backbone also were responsible for Capcom's HD "remixes" of Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo and the Super Street Fighter II Turbo. Since we do know for sure that the filming took place in Los Angeles, we're not 100% sure that Backbone Entertainment is involved as they are located closer to San Francisco, CA. We can also assume that the original artists still on board at NetherRealm Studios would be involved in the art updating process as well. However, we still feel like Backbone is the best fit for programming duties due to their history with the classic Mortal Kombat franchise and "HD remix" track record.

There is still a lot we do not know, but with Gamescom this week and PAX Prime at the end of the month, we might get lucky and know a lot more sooner than we think!

Source: http://www.trmk.org/news/13089/mortal_kombat_hd_kollection_confirmed_in_development.html

GBK`s comment: ...whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?  A MK 2011 which is more or less a remake of MK 1-2 and also a HD Remake of three games? ...

This is...unexpected.. and new filming...digitized actors in hd 2d graphics in 2010? whaaaat?
Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 08:22:46 pm by GBK667

MDI

Re: Mortal Kombat HD Kollection
#2  August 17, 2010, 09:00:04 pm
    • mugen.yolasite.com/stages.php
That..is fucking awesome!

Despite the fact that Mortal Kombat games obviously don't have as many frames as say the Street Fighter 3 series per movement, it should still look pretty awesome and slightly more realistic in HD. Can't wait!
ey
#3  August 17, 2010, 09:39:04 pm
  • Recreation
Despite the fact that Mortal Kombat games obviously don't have as many frames as say the Street Fighter 3 series per movement, it should still look pretty awesome and slightly more realistic in HD. Can't wait!
I could agree.
Well, now that they're refilming footage, it could have smoother animations and more frames now.
And this could also be grounds for changing up some stuff, gameplay wise.
In case they accidentally film Johnny Cage kicking lower than before or something.
#4  August 17, 2010, 09:43:37 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
I could agree.
Well, now that they're refilming footage, it could have smoother animations and more frames now.
And this could also be grounds for changing up some stuff, gameplay wise.
In case they accidentally film Johnny Cage kicking lower than before or something.

some small changes will be sure for sure with different actors.

jax had a wider punch range as example as any other characters...johnny cage had the shortest roundhouse kick etc...if the new actors have different proportions which is likeky this will affect the gameplay but whatever..remakes dont have to be 1:1 copys even gameplay wise :)
#5  August 17, 2010, 09:51:28 pm
  • I'm already Tracer
    • Canada
maybe we can get better stages too!!

i am excited, hope it's for pc as well...
#6  August 18, 2010, 03:39:31 pm
    • USA
This is great. But seriously, this is only for the PS3?

*Quietly rages to himself*
#7  August 18, 2010, 04:11:53 pm
  • Causcasian fellows can, in fact, leap! GO BROOKLYN
    • ourc.trinitymugen.net
No Daniel Pesina, no buy.
Select Filmography: Do The White Thing, Brooklyn, The Assassination of Malcolm Little, Love & Racketball, He Has Extraordinary Skill, Flimflamed, Tales from the Neighborhood
#8  August 19, 2010, 06:05:44 am
Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 06:37:36 am by bWWd
#9  August 20, 2010, 01:07:59 am
Daniel commented on actors from new MK HD, its true and Kung Lao's actor son will be new kung lao

wushucoach
7 godz. temu

Not in the new MK stuff, good luck to the new guy's though. One of my best friends, Tony (Kung Lao), son "Taylor" is the new Kung Lao.Please, give him the support of the best gaming fan base in the world "Crew" .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80fF806yURk
#10  August 20, 2010, 03:44:25 pm
This comment is now deleted ,i guess warner came and didnt wanted any info about new game to be released,they also took down one video from daniel pesina account ,its still in google search tho

It was video with unused idea from mk1 when character opens a round with animation.
Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 03:48:23 pm by bWWd
#11  August 20, 2010, 10:53:19 pm

Bea

#12  August 21, 2010, 12:58:04 am
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
 :-\

Damn it!
That was awesome stuff!
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.

MDD

#13  August 21, 2010, 01:00:55 pm
  • OG Pallette Goon
  • Only here for one night let me put it on ya face
And I didnt watch it. Fuck.
#14  August 21, 2010, 08:10:49 pm
    • www.youtube.com/user/sonicfan966
I'm glad that I got a little glimpse at the footage before WB took it down.

Maybe they should use those clips as a reference for the new motion capture actors, to further improve on authenticity.

Sig by Yzan.
#15  August 21, 2010, 09:42:05 pm
first thing which i did was saving them on harddrive in original resolution.
Ive got 9 vids.
#16  August 22, 2010, 09:40:17 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com

These are "just" 2 fanarts..both published on deviantart and not screenshots of the upkoming HD Kollection but maybe a thought in the right direction how it could look..i wish it would look like on the first one...
#17  August 22, 2010, 10:08:17 pm
    • Chile
    • mkvssf.com/
OOOOOHhhhhhh :o
#18  August 22, 2010, 10:13:48 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
don't do that please, it confused me and it has the potential to confuse other readers
[/stuffed-in-the-trunk titiln]

MDD

#19  August 22, 2010, 10:33:50 pm
  • OG Pallette Goon
  • Only here for one night let me put it on ya face
First screen shot it fucking awesome. Too bad it's fake.

What i'm more interested is how they're going to handle Goro, Kintaro, Motaro and Shiva.
#20  August 22, 2010, 10:36:47 pm
    • Romania
    • negative-edge.net
dayum when i saw those 2 pics .. i was like thats so fukin sweet ... but you RUINED IT !!!!!
#21  August 22, 2010, 10:59:26 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
#22  August 23, 2010, 01:12:05 am
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • to hell with this site, find me at mffa or w/e
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/
I'd rather they get the original actors

Then we'd get 'Bald And Overweight Jax'
#23  August 23, 2010, 09:07:20 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
#24  September 25, 2010, 01:04:01 am
#25  September 25, 2010, 04:38:38 am
Remakes if the original? Hey, I might take a look. :)
#26  September 25, 2010, 07:13:54 am
  • FTW!!!
Looks like people who doesn't have a PS3 will have to wait until they get mugenized I guess.
#27  September 25, 2010, 05:16:01 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
According to a Kotaku article yesterday it seems the game will support "3D" on the ps3. they also showed a boxart..but i dont know if it was real or not
#28  October 14, 2010, 06:07:50 pm