YesNoOk

New Dragonball Super Series (Read 1522542 times)

Started by Omega, April 28, 2015, 02:37:30 pm
Share this topic:
Re: New Dragonball Super Series
#2261  July 20, 2018, 06:48:49 pm
It's not the same Broly so your point is moot. :P :P :P

Also you know everything, huh? Good. What does it add to the conversation? Nothing.

I saw a scene where they used 3D.
It doesn't look as awful as in the other movies. From what little I've seen it's pretty decent and follows the style well, but it's still visible that's 3D. Hopefully they don't use it much.
Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 06:52:03 pm by AlexSin
#2262  July 20, 2018, 09:28:01 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I enjoy the 3d provided they are doing things that are too expensive to do in 2d; it's fun how the best use of 3d in anime is in stuff like love live.
#2263  July 20, 2018, 09:34:17 pm
  • Pixels are atom's of resolution,Low-res or Hi-res
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com
they way its done looks like fighterz
#2264  July 20, 2018, 10:27:53 pm
  • Raging Fist
man this is gonna be sweeeeeet!
For this I can see that
A)The green fur might be FROM BROLY. Some time perhaps earlier in his life he might have went Great ape and they shaved it off of him and he now wears his own fur as a blanket? (Idk)
B) He's got a beef with Vegeta, Goku, AND FRIEZA. I believe that Paragus and Broly's story is that they might be renegade sayians with the intent on overthrowing King Vegeta and Frieza's entire family race.
C) I think Broly either has a kid of his own or a little brother.
#2265  July 20, 2018, 10:41:01 pm
Regardless what Paragus may think of Freeza, I wouldn't say Broly necessarily has a beef with him just from that fight, he just likes to body check everyone he meets. Like saying hello. Hell, so far, we've only seen him attack Goku and Vegeta on orders by Paragus, we don't even know to what extent he hates them. He seemed furious at Goku in the first teaser, but given this trailer, now it just looks like it's how he is in an average day.
It's just that apparently people have been wishing that Freeza would face the actual Legendary Super Saiyan for once, so they found a way to pitch them against each other. I just don't understand Freeza putting aside his desire to wipe out all monkeys long enough to care for Broly's magnificent power. And enlist both him and Paragus in his ranks on top of that (but Broly already has the new armor when he attacks Freeza, and it's on the same planet as the final blue vs green fight).
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 10:50:24 pm by Byakko
#2266  July 20, 2018, 10:58:01 pm
  • Pixels are atom's of resolution,Low-res or Hi-res
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com
Didnt Frieza destroy Saiyans planet cause he feared Super Saiyan Legend? He is way stronger than past and go golden now,I feel like it wasnt a hate towards Saiyans and their race in general but a fear of losing due to legend of Super Saiyan and hate towards Goku.
#2267  July 20, 2018, 11:19:01 pm
Well, he feared the Super Saiyan legend (then Goku went Super Saiyan, then everyone went Super Saiyan, then Freeza got stronger too, but now there's a real Legendary Super Saiyan) but pretty much every single time he talks about Saiyans, he makes sure to mention his disdain for those monkeys like 20 times. He still goes at it another round in the Super manga with Caulifla and Kale. TBF, his hate boner for Saiyans is weird, he shits on them for being weak but he hates when the legend of the Super Saiyan comes up so much (along with the risk that he might turn on him) that he blows up the planet, and he still wants to prove his superiority to the remaining Saiyans by stomping them out even though they just won't stay down. It's like a wounded pride thing, he only thinks as himself being at the top so he insults their weakness and thinks they're just arrogant for having a legend like the Super Saiyan, and he won't admit that he never manages to wipe them out.
So I just don't see how that would work with him allowing Paragus in his ranks (even if we assume he doesn't know about Broly yet and only finds out late on that volcanic planet). He might be fine with keeping pets like when he kept Vegeta, Nappa, Raditz, but if there's an actual Legendary Super Saiyan that's even above the Super Saiyans, I can't see him fully appreciating Broly's power.

Apparently there are design sheets for all the forms Goku and Vegeta go through (black, gold, red, blue, even for Vegeta) and also Broly, who has a black haired thick mode, then a gold mode with the armor (I thought the poster where he was gold was a Toei coloring goof and I was wondering if he was really going to have a gold mode, glad to see it there), and finally green without the armor. They're treating thick black mode like a different form, that explains why he starts with his hair hanging low like in Toriyama topless sketch, and in most of the time in the trailer when he's already curbstomping everyone (even fighting Goku Blue), he has Caulifla hair (and green eyes).
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 11:22:58 pm by Byakko
#2268  July 21, 2018, 02:11:25 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
I'd dare say it even resembles the False Super Saiyan form, which would be a cool as hell little addition to throw in there for Broly, that mid-way point between transforming and just tapping into the form's power a bit like Goku did with Slug and prior to when Pikkon first showed off his skills.

I mean, I doubt they'll call it that, or even probably go as far as connect the two intentionally, but its resemblance is neat.

Red God Vegeta showing up this move is cool, the red form looks so much better than the blue one, but it's odd.  Now two movies in a row, we'll be showing off a new form on screen for Vegeta, only for him to get beaten in it regardless.  Unless they really want to surprise us and Vegeta's the one who pulls the win this movie, in a lesser form at that, but I can't imagine that being the case.

As an aside, if they're going to be reincorporating the God form more often again alongside Blue, seeing the Tournament of Power gave Goku a number of times to let it shine and now this with Vegeta, I would appreciate it if they start just calling it "Red" in canon as well.  It has always sounded so bizarre that the next step beyond a God is....Blue.  Or the equally stupid one we thankfully dropped "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan".  Just refer to both as God form, either God Red or God Blue, and it would be so much better, personally.
Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 02:36:33 am by Long John Killer
#2269  August 18, 2018, 12:58:33 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
lol roshi.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

#2270  August 18, 2018, 07:53:49 am
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
Mr. Satan is DEAD!!!

... AGAIN!
#2271  August 18, 2018, 01:36:11 pm
    • Germany
#2272  August 18, 2018, 01:40:22 pm
Roshi fights Jiren in the new chapter, and the Mr. Satan thing is because of the voice actor in real life.
#2273  August 25, 2018, 11:59:05 pm
    • USA
I'm a little late getting to read this latest chapter, but having done so now, it's leaving a weird mixture of doing some things better, some worse, so here's a mini-rant.  I liked that they took the Legendary Super Saiyan thing with Kale as a bigger threat than the anime did, and as Kefla here she would have logically been an even bigger threat, even bigger than the anime's rendition.  But then they're also trying to bring back Gohan to relevance, and I'm both happy about that but feel it's so ill fitting here?  I'm sorry, either his Mystic/Ultimate form was retconned to be a WAY bigger deal than he was in the Buu saga and probably should have almost beaten Beerus himself when he first showed up, or that jump in power between the start of this tournament to now was bigger than all of Super's ludicrous jumps for Goku and Vegeta.  And on top of that, there barely was a fight presented.  Kefla beat Gohan a bit, he surprised her getting back up, we went off panel for a bit, come back and they both get a double K.O.  It just felt unearned and didn't do either side service.  Kefla felt less big a deal than Kale by herself worrying even Jiren at first and Gohan just got to stand up and take himself out with her, not even by clever tactics or some sort of plan, just he so happens to now be at her level of power.

Roshi with his zen state of mind preaching the basics of martial arts itself being the catalyst for UI Goku I'm also mixed on, because it's a really cool idea and I like how they went about it, but I also like how the anime required some more present danger to trigger it.
Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 12:14:02 am by Long John Killer
#2274  August 26, 2018, 12:33:31 am
Yeah, it's super weird of it threw Gohan at her and then the whole thing lasts like 2 minutes off panel and then they're both beat up and get a double KO. What the hell.

Roshi with his zen state of mind preaching the basics of martial arts itself being the catalyst for UI Goku I'm also mixed on, because it's a really cool idea and I like how they went about it, but I also like how the anime required some more present danger to trigger it.
I figure that's pretty much the big difference between the anime approach and the manga in a nutshell : the anime just flings powerlevels and makes big explosions, while Toyotaro tries hard to make cool "old school martial arts flicks" moments with both Chinese and Japanese movie tropes, especially with the callback to how Toriyama himself tried multiple time to stick with it - before going ham on the powerlevels with the planet-busting levels introduced in that Vegeta/Goku fight. It's basically lampshading that the entire Super Saiyan power creep that made the manga famous was a bad and boring thing, straying away from the original themes (well, at least trying to show that the old tropes were great too).
In fact, I find it curious that Toyotaro didn't go as far as the anime in making the All King(s) the self-insert for the Dragon Ball fanboy that find that transformations and explosions are the one cool thing of the story and always wants more of the same. Manga All-King is a lot tamer and almost feels sensible.
Personally, I like the Roshi lecture+demo and the callbacks to Goku's previous masters better. Honestly it makes more sense to me that the UI is a derivative of the old Japanese martial arts approach to zen, because it's an actual thing in samurai philosophy and the entire "one with the universe" trope of Zen martial arts. And I find it amusing that all the aliens are the ones that are focused on powerlevels while Earth martial arts mentality is the basis for this "lost" / "legendary" ultra instinct that even the gods have trouble achieving. That's just what it felt like when the anime introduced it, and I'm happy that the manga is going full force on that (while making it clear that Earth martial arts is nowhere close enough to it because it still lacks a huge amount of power, Roshi still isn't a threat to Jiren just because he can do that).
Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 12:48:29 am by Byakko
#2275  August 26, 2018, 01:06:47 am
    • USA
I just feel a mix of the two would have worked perfectly if it was triggered by Jiren hitting Roshi.  That would have pushed Goku to go into UI, save Roshi, approach Jiren, fall out of UI, then we'd have some future panels in later chapters of Roshi reteaching this to Goku.  Or even just attempt to save Roshi, not make it in time, then have Roshi giving out wisdom from the sidelines.
#2276  August 28, 2018, 04:13:35 pm
so someone data mined xenoverse 2's new dlc and got a very interesting result and could maybe a spoiler for the movie.

there's two characters that still unnamed for the next DLC what's interesting is these two chararters have incomplete movesets and supers of broly and gogeta.   we gonna see gogeta blue in the movie.
#2277  August 28, 2018, 11:55:41 pm
    • USA
I mean, we kinda were already under some bit of assumption that the theatrical re-releases of Fusion Reborn and Bardock's movie alongside the original Broly to hype up this new one meant they were intended to be referenced in the new one somehow.  And while it's pretty easy to just shove Bardock into any sort of Saiyan planet flashback, there's not a lot to take from Fusion Reborn and fit into a Broly movie but Gogeta.  But I guess cool that there's more pointing to that outcome, I suppose.

So this is the third time Gogeta's fighting Broly, yeah?  In about the most possibly non-canon ways one can imagine before, in one of the Budokai Tenkaichi games and on that Japan-only theme park ride.  But I guess people like the concept.  Not sure yet at this point if they want to introduce Broly to then kill him off at the end, but that's kinda Gogeta's thing over Vegito in personality, seeing how no-nonsense he was taking care of Janemba. (Presuming they're ignoring GT, since pretty much everyone else is at this point)

...Now if only they considered Gogeta beforehand in the series and not mess with Vegito and by proxy lessen both of their worth, this would be cooler personally, but whatever, I'm not gonna get over that detail but it is what it is.  But maybe they'll find something new to retcon and give metamoran fusion a power potara doesn't, I dunno.
#2278  August 29, 2018, 03:20:12 am
Vegito came back because Toyotaro wanted Vegito, not Gogeta. There was no reason to bring back Gogeta. I don't see how any of it lessened his worth, considering the alternative was to never show up ever again. You only think it would be cooler because you like Gogeta more than Vegito.
Plus, it made it easier to bring out Kefla in the TOP, we knew by that point that it wouldn't be permanent (I wouldn't have liked the loss of Caulifla and Kale for a permanent fusion, personally). And considering the power levels in play, the only way to make the U6 Saiyans relevant was that fusion, or just play out the whole Broly movie right there and then, which would probably have derailed the tournament.
(not that it did Kefla a whole lot of good considering how she was thrown away into the trash in two minutes in the manga, but that's another issue...)

As for Gogeta in the Broly movie, I don't expect any sort of new power or special trick, I just expect the differences between Vegito and Gogeta to show up in their personality. I'm not even sure if I should expect his performance to last any longer than the Janenba fight, where he said like one line and a half, performed two attacks, and vanished. But then that would mean taking out Broly, and I really hope they don't kill him off again while knowing they'll have to bring him back AGAIN later.
Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 03:29:31 am by Byakko
#2279  August 29, 2018, 03:31:55 am
    • USA
But I don't like Gogeta better?  I WOULD say he would have been a much better character to use in the situation, though seeing it meant nothing in the end anyways but to point out a fact we already knew, might as well have skipped the whole debacle of fusion altogether.

And of course it lessens their value, it literally detracts one of the few established rules that came with that form of fusion, and made it that much more impactful that they as characters would choose to go through with it!  I would rather him not show up again than messing up something that was fine the way it was.

But we've discussed this before, and it's moot at this point.
Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 03:46:38 am by Long John Killer
#2280  September 23, 2018, 10:07:36 pm
New chapter, a surprising moment of Freeza and #17 apparently getting along not too badly (that'd make a decent introduction to shifting Freeza to the usual anti-hero role), and a pretty clear opposition between Vegeta refusing to be taught stuff and just deciding to improve on his own, and Goku deciding to not get mad, which is pretty much discarding the whole basis for the Super Saiyan form but apparently is the key to reactivate Ultra Instinct.
The Jiren fight should be nearly wrapping up next month, and then the wish and the return home should end the chapter for the month after that... Which brings us right to the Broly movie. I'm, like, 90% sure Toyotaro will do the movie in the manga.