YesNoOk

Is MUGEN showing it's age? (Read 28240 times)

Started by Magma MK-II, February 18, 2018, 03:07:40 pm
Share this topic:
Is MUGEN showing it's age?
#1  February 18, 2018, 03:07:40 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
Just something I've been thinking for a while. Many veteran creators quit, there has been an increase in "lazy" content and great/worthwhile stuff is very few and far between. Have we hit a wall as far as creative content goes? Is it time for a new engine to emerge and take it's place? Am I just overthinking stuff?
Re: Is MUGEN showing it's age?
#2  February 18, 2018, 03:46:39 pm
    • Brazil
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100074220240917
a discouraging factor is the absence of elecbyte
#3  February 18, 2018, 04:01:31 pm
  • Niigasan
i dont really think so, i mean alot of releases still get about 10,000 plus views here atleast and more at other forums. I'd like to think its the lack of newer spritesets for newer chars to be made. Are you basically saying mugens dying because of the increase of "lazy" content?
#4  February 18, 2018, 04:13:34 pm
    • Portugal
    • jorge.timtim@hotmail.com
Just something I've been thinking for a while. Many veteran creators quit, there has been an increase in "lazy" content and great/worthwhile stuff is very few and far between.
New veterans will be made.
i dont really think so, i mean alot of releases still get about 10,000 plus views here atleast and more at other forums. I'd like to think its the lack of newer spritesets for newer chars to be made.
I agree what prime says about the sprite sheets

Have we hit a wall as far as creative content goes? Is it time for a new engine to emerge and take it's place? Am I just overthinking stuff?
No, i mean, i think what we need is mugen 1.2 or some shit, adding at least customizable options menu, some characters not literally being selectable by human players, not just hidden off screen, having the option of not letting certain characters being on survival, etc...
I think small things like theese are enough to raise some interest

Problem is that Elecbyte is that Elecbyte is absent like adriano said, just what the hell happened anyway?

#5  February 18, 2018, 04:18:56 pm
  • Secrets are just answers to the wrong questions...
  • www.newagemugen.com
    • Greece
    • sakchak322@hotmail.com
    • www.newagemugen.com
#6  February 18, 2018, 04:25:10 pm
The real problem is that the truly amazing things can only be done with full games. And even some of the cooler things are constrained to Mugen's limitations or have to be worked around. Part of it is creators have to be willing to push the envelop themselves, and there aren't many people interested in doing that for various reasons.

Mugen became crusty and old a long time ago.
#7  February 18, 2018, 11:39:46 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
Just something I've been thinking for a while. Many veteran creators quit, there has been an increase in "lazy" content and great/worthwhile stuff is very few and far between.
Veterans dropping out of a hobby is normal for any hobby or industry. As time goes on, people change and they drop out or come in from other hobbies. As for myself, I have been around MUGEN for at least 11 years (according to my Youtube channel's videos). Compared to many people here, I am ancient and, to my admission, have not done any MUGEN development at all in the recent years.

The old drop out and the new come in. It is the way things go.

As for the lazy content and great/worthwhile content point, can you point to me recent examples of both? Because those adjectives are highly subjective and I'm not seeing those examples.

Have we hit a wall as far as creative content goes? Is it time for a new engine to emerge and take it's place? Am I just overthinking stuff?

On the point of the game engines, as much as people here might disagree, I believe that MUGEN 1.0 is a pretty capable and well developed 2D fighting game engine as it is right now. Sure it has its limits, but I think you will not find a better free-to-download 2D fighting game engine out there. If there is a better engine out there with the accessibility, please tell me, because I can't find it.

As for creative content, while I would not brag that the sky is the limit, the limit is very high in terms of creativity. I think the main problem with the slow down is that we might have a relative lack of people motivated enough to engage in MUGEN creation. Whenever we have more people engaged, more works come out, both good and bad.

On the topic sprite sheets, while I agree more sprite sheets are always welcome and a vital part in keeping the works going, I think we might have quite of material to work with right now. Like I said, the problem is the lack of motivation for people to take the materials in front of them and make something out of it. You can bring the horse to the river but you can't force it to drink.

And finally, are you overthinking it? Maybe, but it is nice to have these discussions once in a while anyway.

Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#8  February 18, 2018, 11:55:15 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
This has been on my mind lately too. Maybe I'm just imagining it but I feel like the community is getting small and the forums are getting slower compared to when I first got into MUGEN.

I'm hoping for a MUGEN renaissance.

On sprite sheets and why we don't have more fan made ones:
  • If you're buying - Good sprites aren't cheap, cheap sprites arn't good.
  • If you're making - That's a lot of work to do without pay.

Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 12:02:13 am by ink
#9  February 19, 2018, 12:04:03 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Forums in general are a dying breed. Not just MUGEN forums. There are too many alternatives that are faster. Since I joined the HDBZ and MFG discord my presence here has drastically reduced. Now the forum is really only good to archive stuff. If I need help or want to talk code or whatever I chat in real time.

Combine that with how much of a niche 2d fighters even are. Then how much of a niche oldschool games like we make are now. Then on top of that how many newer people would be interested enough to devote their time to this stuff when most of it took place before they were born and could grow up with passion for these kinds of games.

And on top of that MUGEN has no online so even if you make something cool you won't be playing it with your peers here. You'll have to also have friends IRL that'd be into all the above things.

AND it's a long dead program with a ton of issues and no support.
#10  February 19, 2018, 12:39:10 am
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafío.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Alot of the old veterans probably finally moved out
of moms basement, got girlfriends and got introduced
to cutty and made families.

If you don't know from personal experience...its extremely
hard to have a girlfriend/relationship and still have time
for mugen.

All my GF's ive had since ive been into mugen have fucking
hated it with a passion, arguments happen lol because they
feel like they don't get enough attention N shit.

The times ive been most active are when I'm single and have
all day to do what I want.

Real life happens and that's why people just disappear.
#11  February 19, 2018, 01:25:43 am
  • www.newagemugen.com
    • Greece
    • sakchak322@hotmail.com
    • www.newagemugen.com
@memo So horribly true lmfao
that applies to playing games in general.
Same thing goez.if yur a gym goer tryna make them gainz.

#12  February 19, 2018, 01:40:51 am
  • Niigasan
Alot of the old veterans probably finally moved out
of moms basement, got girlfriends and got introduced
to cutty and made families.

If you don't know from personal experience...its extremely
hard to have a girlfriend/relationship and still have time
for mugen.

All my GF's ive had since ive been into mugen have fucking
hated it with a passion, arguments happen lol because they
feel like they don't get enough attention N shit.

yup thats how my girl is, thats why i do most of my mugen stuff when im work, i have probably the most laid back job ever lol
#13  February 19, 2018, 01:44:18 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
I can concur with some of what Memo said. Many veterans that moved on might've gotten jobs that greatly or entirely interfere with their time for MUGEN related stuff. Me? I really don't work on the projects much like I used to now cuz of my job and having to look out for my folks at home. After all, MUGEN's just a hobby people enjoy to the point where they'll tire out of it and move on to something else.

As far as sprite sheets goes... it's extremely expensive to order a set of good sprites for a character that has never been made into a 2D fighter before. As for free spritesheets, mostly chibi sized sprites but many sheets don't have said fighter as a 4-6 button character and have only a few attacks you just need to work around.

I really don't have anything to say much about "lazy" content.  I've been seeing a few decent releases lately. Life as a MUGENite begins to suck once you actually get a job and have responsibilities as a human being to follow because you can't do what you like to enjoy like you used to.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!

lui

#14  February 19, 2018, 01:47:05 am
    • USA
mugen has always shown its age. people keep on making content simply because its still the best option for a freeware engine for fighting games until the new upcoming stuff like E's engine and Unreal Fighter come out. Personally as soon as the Unreal Engine template comes out im switchting to that right away
#15  February 19, 2018, 02:15:55 am
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
Forums in general are a dying breed. Not just MUGEN forums. There are too many alternatives that are faster. Since I joined the HDBZ and MFG discord my presence here has drastically reduced. Now the forum is really only good to archive stuff. If I need help or want to talk code or whatever I chat in real time.

Combine that with how much of a niche 2d fighters even are. Then how much of a niche oldschool games like we make are now. Then on top of that how many newer people would be interested enough to devote their time to this stuff when most of it took place before they were born and could grow up with passion for these kinds of games.

And on top of that MUGEN has no online so even if you make something cool you won't be playing it with your peers here. You'll have to also have friends IRL that'd be into all the above things.

AND it's a long dead program with a ton of issues and no support.

While I do get the appeal and of Real-Time Chat, I still stand by the forums as a still alive and thriving format, if only because the contents can be preserved in a more permanent format (perfect for those that needed help and feedback for later viewing) and it does not burn up my data plan.

Also, we had a Discord? Didn't know that. Mind to share its location?

As for the reasons why we are not really getting new blood around here, I can agree with all of them but the last two points. Was the lack of an online feature really that big of a deal for new creators here? I meant, I thought we usually carefully explain why an online multiplayer feature is impractical for something like MUGEN (if I wanted to play a multiplayer fighting game, I'll play one on Steam or on my Nintendo consoles.)

And what were the issues with the MUGEN program that scare away new creators? I thought the program is very stable without too many problems.

I agree that real life is the reason why many of us older people are not really developing so much anymore. I have a full time job now and I do not nearly have the free time I had from before. And I shutter to think what will happen to my free time if I get married.

Such is life.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#16  February 19, 2018, 02:43:07 am
  • www.newagemugen.com
    • Greece
    • sakchak322@hotmail.com
    • www.newagemugen.com
Reading all this it sounds more like its not mugen thats showing its age, its us lol.
#17  February 19, 2018, 02:52:59 am
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
Reading all this it sounds more like its not mugen thats showing its age, its us lol.

Dude, have you seen the listed ages in our MUGEN profiles?!

Many of us are nearing 30 years old, with quite a few of us already past that and soaring towards 40 years!
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#18  February 19, 2018, 08:21:07 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Even tho ill be 34 in April I feel like I'm 24 lol, I think 30's are the new 20's
I dont feel old at all like I thought I would when I was younger.

I still get id'd whenever I need to and people always act surprised when I
tell them how old I really am, I was 22 in my avatar pic and still look
like that maybe a bit skinnier since I'm not in the Army anymore.

But yea we are getting old, time fly's after you hit 21, I'm always wondering
where did all the time go?

lui

#19  February 19, 2018, 10:15:44 am
    • USA
the time went into making tons of ryu, kyo, ken and akuma edits

this is what we wasted years of our lives on, what a world
#20  February 19, 2018, 12:52:11 pm
  • www.newagemugen.com
    • Greece
    • sakchak322@hotmail.com
    • www.newagemugen.com
Dude, have you seen the listed ages in our MUGEN profiles?!
Many of us are nearing 30 years old, with quite a few of us already past that and soaring towards 40 years!
Haha yea man i just turned 31 - all us 25+ peepz are the age group lucky to have arcades growing up - my best memories of my childhood & why i luv fighting games.

I still get id'd whenever I need to and people always act surprised when I tell them how old I really am.

Lol i swear to god bro if u were a few shades browner in that pic, u look like the 22ish y/o me haha!
Yeah i get ID raped even now-hated it when i used to go clubbing during college but as u get older its a good feeling to still look young haha.

#21  February 20, 2018, 04:31:13 am
  • The Barbarian
  • Most ****able 2013
    • USA
    • Skype - chronostrifeff7h@hotmail.com
I'm sorry I haven't been around as much lately, my absence entirely explains the slump some of your are seeing in MUGEN and its communities. Elecbyte says hi btw, we got gay married.
#22  February 20, 2018, 05:41:11 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Like there is any other kind of marriage.
#23  February 20, 2018, 06:44:47 am
  • Raging Fist
It will be a miracle to see Mugen 1.2.
At least for now we got 1.1 and Ikemen PLUS!
#24  February 20, 2018, 08:35:45 am
  • Frozen in Time
  • The siege continues...
    • USA
    • www.eternal-anomaly.com
For me, this conscious obsession began in 2001 and now, seventeen years (a chunk of which was rife with mistakes and embarrassment) later, I find myself with a renewed sense of interest in Mugen, beat 'em ups and fighting games as a whole.  I've nearly come full circle in this community, and I've many of you (veterans and newcomers alike) to thank for such a turnabout. :joy:

As a program of specialized functionality, Mugen does indeed show its age.  As a source of inspiration, however, it does not.
Latest Release: Here / Current Projects: The Penguin & Stage Rectifications (2nd Set)
Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 10:46:52 am by Mature4evr
#25  February 23, 2018, 03:39:26 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com

Software - already aged when it first came out.  :egypt:

Community - once a thread shows up asking which supplement to treat/prevent arthritis.  :gossip:
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#26  February 23, 2018, 04:21:39 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
lol

*inb4 "how to code story mode in mugen with explods"
#27  February 24, 2018, 05:50:50 pm
  • mirror, mirror...
    • www.poland.pl/
For me, this conscious obsession began in 2001 and now, seventeen years (a chunk of which was rife with mistakes and embarrassment) later, I find myself with a renewed sense of interest in Mugen, beat 'em ups and fighting games as a whole.  I've nearly come full circle in this community, and I've many of you (veterans and newcomers alike) to thank for such a turnabout. :joy:

As a program of specialized functionality, Mugen does indeed show its age.  As a source of inspiration, however, it does not.
you are the legendary Mature4ever then?....i want to see more from you..
-I hate haters and S.o.S chars.....
-time to migrate from winmugen...
#28  February 25, 2018, 07:30:21 am
    • USA
    • goroh16@yahoo.com

Yes it's boring seeing so many Street Fighter and King of Fighters. We still don't have all the Aquapazza and Nitroplus Blasterz Heroines Infinite Duel characters because those two are unpopular niche games, let alone source accurate ones.
#29  February 25, 2018, 07:47:38 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com

Yes it's boring seeing so many Street Fighter and King of Fighters. We still don't have all the Aquapazza and Nitroplus Blasterz Heroines Infinite Duel characters because those two are unpopular niche games, let alone source accurate ones.

Make em then
#30  February 25, 2018, 08:37:34 am
  • Frozen in Time
  • The siege continues...
    • USA
    • www.eternal-anomaly.com
@Jessy:
Legendary?  I'm nothing of the sort, but color me flattered.  The process of reinventing oneself is quite the tedious endeavor, but take my word, new content is in the pipeline. ;)
Latest Release: Here / Current Projects: The Penguin & Stage Rectifications (2nd Set)
#31  February 25, 2018, 08:48:39 am
    • USA
    • goroh16@yahoo.com

Make em then
I feel it's too late for that. I would had made them if the only thing I was doing was mugen which was in 2015. But during that time I was more interested in fighting hard AI than learning how to code. Right now I'm playing so many other games and don't use mugen 24/7 like I use to and I heard making a character is hard. Are we ever gonna get a RGB method tutorial in video form? Every tutorial I found don't explain everything.
Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 08:58:30 am by Luis
#32  February 25, 2018, 09:24:29 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com

Make em then
I feel it's too late for that. I would had made them if the only thing I was doing was mugen which was in 2015. But during that time I was more interested in fighting hard AI than learning how to code. Right now I'm playing so many other games and don't use mugen 24/7 like I use to and I heard making a character is hard. Are we ever gonna get a RGB method tutorial in video form? Every tutorial I found don't explain everything.

Its easier than you think to get something up and running.
I personally am not familiar much with the games you
mentioned so that's my excuse for sticking to capcom
and what ever else I'm familiar with.
#33  February 25, 2018, 10:51:54 pm
  • mirror, mirror...
    • www.poland.pl/
If that happen (mugen dies)..I will blame idiots like tanicfan..they deserves NEVER touched mugen...
#34  February 26, 2018, 12:14:59 am
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com

heehehe I have to agree. I am turning 40 years old this year, while turning 19 years old in Mugen.
After that much time, its hard to get motivated when you have tons of stuff to care about. Gosh, my first son is turning...15 years old.

I still enjoy creating for Mugen, even with all the hassles. I think when I stopped to enjoy it, probably I will quit from it.
#35  February 26, 2018, 12:16:47 am
I just said the other day I'm sticking around at least until you finish Nightwing :P
#36  February 26, 2018, 12:19:47 am
  • Raging Fist
I've been around mugen since forever, even was in the Phantom G group for a while, and winmugen plus was supreme. I saw 1.0 and 1.1 go into fruition later on. Man those early days of highschool I miss because even though some of the characters were old, they were fun. I still have that one Rugal where he can sacrifice a portion of his life to go Omega, tough as nails AI too.
#37  February 26, 2018, 12:31:07 am
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
#38  February 26, 2018, 01:54:36 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
I'm sticking until the end of MUGEN, whenever that is.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#39  February 26, 2018, 08:31:24 pm
  • ✭HUE HUE HUE✭
The only i wish is that Mugen had this option which is like literally photoshop layer blanding options for stages, y´know? I put a Blue solid layer over ALL and then set something like "Blend = Overlay, screen, multiply, color burn, ect"

Other than that? Happy enoght with the current tools and the 1.1beta to stick around for more years.
#40  February 26, 2018, 10:50:15 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
If that happen (mugen dies)..I will blame idiots like tanicfan..they deserves NEVER touched mugen...
I'm not sure why you're calling out a random user for seemingly no reason, but it doesn't really matter how good of a reason you thought you had. Don't do it again.
#41  February 27, 2018, 06:21:36 pm
  • mirror, mirror...
    • www.poland.pl/
I'm not sure why you're calling out a random user for seemingly no reason, but it doesn't really matter how good of a reason you thought you had. Don't do it again.
because I seen some people quit or never touch mugen again after seeing/playing with his abominations...I said a friend about mugen then pick Mario and Bowser "made" by him,then was fucking horrible worst than shit, thanks to that many other thinks mugen sucks because those "creators"
#42  February 27, 2018, 06:43:08 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
Just because you went once to a bad restaurant and got food poisoning, doesn't mean you should stop eating and starve to death...

Don't try to make a drama where there is none
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#43  February 27, 2018, 08:30:31 pm
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
Just because you went once to a bad restaurant and got food poisoning, doesn't mean you should stop eating and starve to death...

hehehehe On the day that there is no more drama, it will be the day that Mugen certainly dies, lol
#44  February 27, 2018, 09:48:15 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
lol
#45  February 27, 2018, 09:58:56 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
because I seen some people quit or never touch mugen again after seeing/playing with his abominations...I said a friend about mugen then pick Mario and Bowser "made" by him,then was fucking horrible worst than shit, thanks to that many other thinks mugen sucks because those "creators"
I'll be more clear, because you seem to be confused as to what my post was about. I am not asking you to explain why you think you are totally justified in slagging a random person, completely unprompted. I am telling you, as a moderator, not to do something like this again.
#46  February 28, 2018, 05:21:45 pm
  • mirror, mirror...
    • www.poland.pl/

not really..and at youtube are many videos related to those "creations"...I don't like the fact they waste mugen when they would learn and create good things...
#47  February 28, 2018, 05:23:29 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com

not really..and at youtube are many videos related to those "creations"...I don't like the fact they waste mugen when they would learn and create good things...

Why do you care what they do with mugen, just do whatever
you want theres no rules to follow.
#48  March 01, 2018, 09:07:51 pm
    • Germany
The thing is every creator has to start somehow, and there are people who even like "Junk" creations, like people who watch "bad" movies.^^

About the thing with the Sprite Sheets that came up before, I think there are enough Sprites for enough characters out there, but the thing is that they are from characters that most creators don't want to make, and instead make more of the "popular" characters, because of that we have tons of Kyo's, Ryu's Scropion's etc.
#49  July 01, 2018, 08:04:56 am
  • Don't copy code if you don't understand it.
    • USA
    • a13rown@hotmail.com

I think some creations have actually aged pretty well.  When Warusaki 3 released his CVS2 creations over 15 years ago, they set the standard for those conversions.  Secondly, Tatsu's  2005 version of addon04 was also a standard setting creation. I still tinker with both of these works even today. The first version of Tatsu's lifebars, although in a beta stage, is still my favorite version today.
#50  July 17, 2018, 11:48:33 pm
  • It's the end for villians
    • Mexico
    • www.instagram.com/Motivational_Saiyan/?hl=en
ITS A MUST.  We NEEED to have mugen be online some how some way...  So MANY great mugen builds out there as good as full corporate games but i can't play you unless I go to your house all the way across the usa
Buy DBZ / Street Fighter shirts here. Compra camisetas de DBZ y King of Fighters aqui. www.instagram.com/Motivational_Saiyan/?hl=en
#51  July 17, 2018, 11:50:02 pm
  • commissions open bang my line
    • USA
    • https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/xtayisblackx?country.x=US&locale.x=en_US
ikemen will solve your needs then lol
My stages folder:
https://app.mediafire.com/g5pnpb2im4lqa

Want a screenpack ported to ikemen? DM's open
Want a stage remade with parallax & possible super jump? DM's open
#52  July 18, 2018, 12:22:52 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Whenever people talks about mugen clones, I ahve to remind myself that ikemen and xnamugen are things that exist and people don't really seem to care about them.
#53  July 18, 2018, 12:31:40 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
XNAMugen WAS a thing. SofiyaCat sadly dropped it to make a VirtualBoy emulator for PSP.
#54  July 18, 2018, 01:05:43 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
nah, sofiya's engine was yet another one.

lui

#55  July 18, 2018, 01:10:01 am
    • USA
ikemen is gaining alot of steam as of late.

Mugen is severely outdated and with UE42D being super promising, im hopefuly for mugen clones in the future
#56  July 18, 2018, 05:08:20 am
Yeah, Mugen is ancient greek medicine now.  :buttrox:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
But naaah, who am I kidding, the content thats on here is pro and you have all sorts of screen packs, characters, addons, and even great fun upgraded full-games you can pull now. :muttrox: :muttrox: Just was itching to play SF:Alpha 4 by B.C. damn...  :buttrox:
#57  July 19, 2018, 09:00:04 pm
  • WIP: Tons and tons of IKEMEN stages
Current release: SF vs MK, fully interactive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bM9DpmVXOA
#58  July 19, 2018, 09:03:02 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
yup, xnamugen was a weird case in which anon just dropped the engine and got out of sight asap.
#59  July 19, 2018, 11:22:15 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
#60  July 20, 2018, 01:18:55 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
I shit you not

oh and a YouTube viewer

in short you can watch YouTube poop while playing Wario Land (because what the fuck else would you play on Virtual Boy)
#61  July 20, 2018, 03:57:18 am
  • 超高校級の「絶望」
  • “Just like a single bullet setting off a world war
    • Japan
    • gamersnatales.wordpress.com/
Well most problems start with the toxic mugen community,while in the past hacking the engine was seen as good now they dont want to hack the engine and expect to someone (elecbyte?) pick up the engine and make upgrades but the engine has its limits this has been talked for a while.

Lets remember one thing mugen is an engine it isnt a game is limited to the developer if the developer is useless then mugen will be useless if the developer is almost a god the limit of mugen is the sky ,not refering to the ammount of chars since most people is really stupid and think they can just grab mugen and add 3 thousand chars and the engine will run without problems while this was true with winmugen was because the engine was a port from linmugen 2002 hence why had higher limits (using a 4k stage will eat almost all your ram and think that the samurai screenpack use around 1.8 Gb of ram).

Some of the problems are the lack of good releases,"authors" making shitty chars (chars poorly made) other authors refusing to progress (we have an engine that allows you to create 32 bit color chars) other would be authors expecting sprites releases instead of going the 2.5D (you can make chars sprites with mmd and there are thousands of mmd models) other problem would be people people thinking sharp sprites are fine  since they are supposed to be like that (totally false since most console and arcade hardware had some kind of specific setup and several had either bilinear,trilinear,antialiasing or some sort of feature like that) other problem would be authors not using the full power of the engine (it has shader learn to code those shaders and you will see some awesome stuff) and the last problem is people making those screenppack barelly functional (if you have 2 thousand chars then make several different games with small rosters since has been proven by console games that people barelly use 10 chars of a 26 chars roster)

You can make proffesional games with the engine is just a matter of learning to use it and sell it (well that and mugen communities should avoid sabotaging sold games made from scratch BTW there are 10 games made on mugen which are commercial but in here they will ban you if you menction the titles) the lack of answer from "elecbyte?" mails is weird but if you asked in time (when elecbyte site was active) then you could get a permit to release commercial games (there are several that got the permit)

Biggest problem of all is people that makes screenpack or similar they dont know they are supposed to use this version of mugen https://www111.zippyshare.com/v/xaqEJ53u/file.html to release their content the only author that has used this is tatsu,that is the engine by itself the rest has to be discovered by the user the other pack that came with kung fu man was a tech demo not something to be redistributed and reuploaded.
“Thousands of humans falling over like dominoes... ahhh... that sight was so beautiful! I thought my brain was gonna melt..!”
Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 04:48:20 am by Tabris666
#62  July 20, 2018, 10:55:47 am
  • Cute Bounty Hunter
#63  July 20, 2018, 10:56:29 am
  • Niigasan
haha
#64  July 20, 2018, 03:08:19 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
I shit you not

oh and a YouTube viewer

in short you can watch YouTube poop while playing Wario Land (because what the fuck else would you play on Virtual Boy)
A youtube player at least is practical in some level, as in "a non-trivial amount of people will use this".

Making a Virtual Boy emulator for PSP is some Quixotic bullshit. Even if you ignore how next to nobody willl use it because yeah, it only has like 2 dozen games and Wario Land is the only one people actually want play, it completely misses the point of emulation: preserving videogame history. Developing an emulator (let alone a niche one) for very specific hardware that would eventually become obsolete (and has already become obsolete) is a waste of time.
#65  July 20, 2018, 04:37:36 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
in theory, VR is finally starting to take some traction (as in being affordable), so I wonde if soon someone will actually ttransalte the red light system of the virtual boy to the dual camera method of vr.