YesNoOk

Where the hell is Virtua Fighter? (Read 29238 times)

Started by D. HoChoy, August 16, 2016, 06:47:18 pm
Share this topic:
Where the hell is Virtua Fighter?
#1  August 16, 2016, 06:47:18 pm
    • USA
    • dhochoy09@gmail.com
    • dhgallery.weebly.com/
I know Virtua Fighter isn't nearly as big as Tekken or Street Fighter but it's upsetting Sega is throwing this franchise under a bus for the past couple years. It was the game that pioneered 3D fighters and it was beloved by pretty much everyone who played it. It was also commercially successful for all games (except Virtua Quest which was straight dookie sandwiches).

Just look at high-level play of this game:

It's more technical and way more exciting to watch than high-level Tekken (don't get my wrong I love Tekken but facts are facts).

Now I ask... why is Sega ignoring Virtua Fighter? Is it budget-related, work overload, or Sega really that stupid to ignore one of their biggest video game IPs (given their handling of Sonic the Hedgehog that's very likely)?
Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 06:50:34 pm by D. HoChoy
Re: Where the hell is Virtua Fighter?
#2  August 16, 2016, 07:39:16 pm
  • Moving your life with greener pastures.
    • daedalus96@gmail.com
I don't know if you are aware of this, but Sega renewed the trademark for Virtua Fighter, but this doesn't necessarily mean that Virtua Fighter is dead for good. It doesn't mean that we will get a new VF game right away either. The last game that was released was VF5: Final Showdown in 2012. Don't believe me? Check this article:
http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/445423/Virtua+Fighter+trademark+renewed+by+Sega/
#3  August 16, 2016, 08:20:07 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Sega clearly still cares about VF.  They're still licensing VF characters for merchandise (those beautiful polygonal Akira and Sarah figmas...) and as guests in other games (DOA, DFC, Project X Zone) so they still have VF in their thoughts.  Since they renewed the trademark one can only hope for a new game.  VF would do pretty well in the current climate.
#4  August 16, 2016, 09:48:22 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Sega should probably do something about nobody caring about Virtua Fighter first.
#5  August 16, 2016, 09:52:27 pm
Except people do care. High demand for a sequel, well revered mechanics (even if most people just "say" that), a sizable niche that's still passionate about a game that hasn't gotten an update (much less a sequel) in 6 years. I wouldn't say nobody cares.
#6  August 16, 2016, 09:58:49 pm
  • "VS. Style Debuts - CEO"
  • Death is the start of a brand new cycle
    • Brazil
    • Skype - emperorzankuro
    • https://shinzankuro.carrd.co/
I don't know if you are aware of this, but Sega renewed the trademark for Virtua Fighter, but this doesn't necessarily mean that Virtua Fighter is dead for good. It doesn't mean that we will get a new VF game right away either. The last game that was released was VF5: Final Showdown in 2012. Don't believe me? Check this article:
http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/445423/Virtua+Fighter+trademark+renewed+by+Sega/

This makes me wonder.... Will the next Virtua Fighter[If there will be a new VF] game add a Story mode? I mean, most of the actual released fighting games has worked a little in story modes. Since VF doens't care about it, will SEGA works on a new story mode based on the success of making good story modes on fighting games in future?

- Want to commission me for a artwork? Just come here
- Donations is welcome
#7  August 16, 2016, 10:00:14 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
VF has a story but the last game in the series came out before story mode became a popular thing to have.  If a new game came out I'm certain it would have one.
#8  August 16, 2016, 11:06:12 pm
  • The King of Slams
  • Charles Kasshu
    • USA
2 Things:

1. NEVER compare Virtua Fighter to TEKKEN. VF was (and still is) an objectively better series.

2. It's debatable as whether or not VQ was crap. Personally, I think it's a really good game. Also, that game fleshes out the very dormant back-story of VF that has been exsistent since the first game.

With that said, even I don't think SEGA would just abandon Virtua Fighter (they better not), especially since it's one of their franchises that they haven't ruined yet (Aside from Sonic). VF6 will come, just have hope.
#9  August 16, 2016, 11:34:10 pm
2. It's debatable as whether or not VQ was crap. Personally, I think it's a really good game. Also, that game fleshes out the very dormant back-story of VF that has been exsistent since the first game.

VQ was mediocre. First i was so jealous that the game wasn't out in Europe. Fun fact: It was suppose to call Virtua Fighter Quest, but they decided to remove 'Fighter' and call it Virtua Quest. I brought that game and played it on my Gamecube with the freeloader and i've played 2 times (one just complete the game and the second was comeback with a 100% with extra bonus moves and unbeatable training with obstacles where you get something, but it's not worth it at all). It's not a good game, yet it tries to be something different. Even the voice acting (Except for the VF chars) is terrible, even for Sai the main character. Which we will never see him again for a long time. You thought that VF4 was the hardest and unfair game, well this is it.  VF4 was at least decent for me, but VQ was the worst of the series.

Back to the topic. As a VF fan like me, i would love to see another game like this. VF6, hopefully it will come out soon or later.
Feel free to use my account:
Username: GTAguy
Password: imanigger
#10  August 17, 2016, 12:22:32 am
  • The Goddess Returns
Sega should probably do something about nobody caring about Virtua Fighter first.

Sega clearly still cares about VF.  They're still licensing VF characters for merchandise (those beautiful polygonal Akira and Sarah figmas...) and as guests in other games (DOA, DFC, Project X Zone) so they still have VF in their thoughts.  Since they renewed the trademark one can only hope for a new game.  VF would do pretty well in the current climate.

I thought that was the point of all that Darkflare lol.
SEGA benefits just as much from allowing their characters into these games as they do from having them on there.
It raises lots of awareness and possibly gets more people clamoring for VF. We just need to see if it will turn into a success from it.
http://www.youtube.com/user/busterbladex?feature=mhum

Finally got some vids on here.
Subscribe to me please and who knows, maybe my video walkthroughs will help you one day.......
#11  August 17, 2016, 01:31:07 am
  • The King of Slams
  • Charles Kasshu
    • USA

VQ was mediocre. First i was so jealous that the game wasn't out in Europe. Fun fact: It was suppose to call Virtua Fighter Quest, but they decided to remove 'Fighter' and call it Virtua Quest. I brought that game and played it on my Gamecube with the freeloader and i've played 2 times (one just complete the game and the second was comeback with a 100% with extra bonus moves and unbeatable training with obstacles where you get something, but it's not worth it at all). It's not a good game, yet it tries to be something different. Even the voice acting (Except for the VF chars) is terrible, even for Sai the main character. Which we will never see him again for a long time. You thought that VF4 was the hardest and unfair game, well this is it.  VF4 was at least decent for me, but VQ was the worst of the series.

Back to the topic. As a VF fan like me, i would love to see another game like this. VF6, hopefully it will come out soon or later.

Wow...That's like, your opinion, man. Seriously, we on two completely different wavelengths here. Let's not have this thread die in a fire as there are not many of us left who care to talk about this awesome franchise. And I say this as someone who loved/loves it to death since childhood whereas his his first game was Virtua Fighter 2.
#12  August 17, 2016, 01:34:29 am
  • EL FUCKO GRANDE
  • I'm back, nerds
    • Canada
Just because Sega care doesn't mean people do. VF is about as dead as dead can be; it's only used to compare to standards now as a game and cameos as a franchise.

Not enough to be irrelevant, but also not enough to bat much of an eye in current day when your characters get more play in the fighting game series that ripped you off in the first place. :V
#13  August 17, 2016, 01:39:33 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/

Wow...That's like, your opinion, man. Seriously, we on two completely different wavelengths here. Let's not have this thread die in a fire as there are not many of us left who care to talk about this awesome franchise. And I say this as someone who loved/loves it to death since childhood whereas his his first game was Virtua Fighter 2.
Please don't respond in ways that make it seem like a difference of opinion is an argument or heated. That's not a good way to have a discussion. :)
#14  August 17, 2016, 02:07:05 am
  • The King of Slams
  • Charles Kasshu
    • USA

Please don't respond in ways that make it seem like a difference of opinion is an argument or heated. That's not a good way to have a discussion. :)

Okay. Although, I was just expressing a difference in opinion, is all.
#15  August 17, 2016, 02:11:45 am
  • The Goddess Returns
Just because Sega care doesn't mean people do. VF is about as dead as dead can be; it's only used to compare to standards now as a game and cameos as a franchise.

Not enough to be irrelevant, but also not enough to bat much of an eye in current day when your characters get more play in the fighting game series that ripped you off in the first place. :V

To be absolutely fair...that's mainly so in the West.
In the East it may have died down some but it's still has a good fanbase.

Subscribe to me please and who knows, maybe my video walkthroughs will help you one day.......
#16  August 17, 2016, 02:14:17 am
  • The King of Slams
  • Charles Kasshu
    • USA

Yeah, pretty sure Dead or Alive was influenced by Virtua Fighter.
#17  August 17, 2016, 02:40:59 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
He never implied otherwise? It was the complete opposite.
#18  August 17, 2016, 03:07:41 am
  • EL FUCKO GRANDE
  • I'm back, nerds
    • Canada
#19  August 17, 2016, 03:21:53 am
  • The King of Slams
  • Charles Kasshu
    • USA
#20  August 17, 2016, 03:46:43 am
  • The Goddess Returns