YesNoOk

Do Mugen People Even Play? (Read 26208 times)

Started by SailorMaRs1030, August 15, 2013, 04:49:53 am
Share this topic:
Re: Do Mugen People Even Play?
#41  August 15, 2013, 05:55:24 am
  • Keeping mugen stupid
    • USA
    • fivehundrederrors@hotmail.com
Am I still a scrublord if I go out of my way to download and play(not just try once and forget about it but actually get good at the game) games I've become aware of from mugen?

Also C.A.N we need to play Melty more often :V
#42  August 15, 2013, 05:56:26 am
  • EL FUCKO GRANDE
  • I'm back, nerds
    • Canada
yar why did you even make this thread
*groan*

Why not.
I played fighting games ever since I was a wee lad, got into it thanks to certain folks at a very young age. Though I never really had anyone to play with besides the jarheads from another province visiting the local arcade. I was terrible back then, but imagine how it feels like to play a genre better than your whole city outside of visitors. (3D fighters being the only exception)
Messed with MUGEN since 2001, had a very open-ended mind towards stuff that was out due to living that "ULTIMATE FIGHTING GAME" fantasy, even the shitty things like Ryouwin's MVC2 characters that looked as if they were paper cutouts.

I only started getting the arcade experience with fighting games five years ago once I moved to MTL, and since then I've always compared conversions to source material to pinpoint how faithful shit was after hours and even days of messing around with stuff, and I use these finds in source material against actual people. And this got me into trying out many games and finding all the good in them that makes 'em enjoyable. Testing for certain people also made me better at both understanding and playing the games their conversions came from. I'm just an average player who likes to play anything he comes across.

Like [E] said earlier, MUGEN is a novelty, but in the long run it made me discover a lot more about fighting games than I used to know.

Quit lying, nobody plays Alpha 2 Gold. Not even the Brazilians on GGPO go near that game.
fuck outta here bitch nigga

...see, that's kinda' where I come in.
#43  August 15, 2013, 05:57:17 am
  • Sr. Black Person
  • Mess with the chuchu you get the pewpew
    • USA
    • Kamekaze.world
it's only as big a problem as you deem it. I deem it something worth discussing. I do not like when I see people make false claims which affirms they have no idea what they are talking about. But I never spoke of it till now as my good pal kasumi1030 wanted to talk about it. This thread is not supposed to be about the fighters you played, but instead confirming that people do play the fighters they talk about here when applicable.
Want to feel useful for a useless show? click here
119/150 Chars, I'm not dead yet....the true surprise is in my thread.
Hahahah fuck you photobucket.
#44  August 15, 2013, 05:59:24 am
  • No guts No glory..
"street fighter aplha 2(gold)

Quit lying, nobody plays Alpha 2 Gold. Not even the Brazilians on GGPO go near that game."

ummmmm (don't know quotes don't work for me right now)  i just don`t know if people play those...i am talking for myself(also have street fighter zero2 emulated)
#45  August 15, 2013, 06:04:55 am
  • Sr. Black Person
  • Mess with the chuchu you get the pewpew
    • USA
    • Kamekaze.world
I think it's because arcade gold is called sfz2 alpha
Want to feel useful for a useless show? click here
119/150 Chars, I'm not dead yet....the true surprise is in my thread.
Hahahah fuck you photobucket.
#46  August 15, 2013, 06:14:29 am
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
ITT people express their FG prowess based on how many games they've played.

Bitches don't know about my Daraku Tenshi.
If you require my assistance, please feel free to contact me on Discord: 2DMirage#5299
Commissions/Requests are closed. Please do not ask.
#47  August 15, 2013, 06:17:18 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Is this actually a rampant problem? Because I honestly have no idea.
it was years ago (movecontact-only combos, lol infinite priority,commands being completely wrong ), I do not see it being a big problem lately.
#48  August 15, 2013, 06:18:55 am
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
Real Bout Fatal Fury 3 or mark of the wolves 2 T___________T those should have really existed.......i think we all need them...arrrg SNK please!!!

Totally agree. RBFF3: The Return of Jubei.
#49  August 15, 2013, 06:19:34 am
  • No guts No glory..
i played at the arcades (played with my friends)
fatal fury 3
mark of the wolves
street fighter zero 2
street fighter alpha 3
king of fighter 98
soulcalibur(arcade)

owned on consoles (played with my friends)
street fighter alpha 2 gold(psx)
street fighter alpha 3 (DC and psp version)
king of fighter 98
mark of the wolves
soulcalibur

emulated ( XD playing them just me T_T(
all of those listed before.........of course i play mugen ....

#50  August 15, 2013, 06:20:52 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
Fighting games have always been my favorite genre since the early 90's, ranging from Cyberbots, SF2, Virtua Fighter 1, and so forth.  During the times when cabinets are found in laundromats, pizza parlors, and mall districts, I remember just mashing just to get past the first stage.  Back in MvC1's early days, I remember just spamming Megaman's Heavy while picking a random second thinking I was a hotshot when I was going nowhere.  Possibly the most influential fighting game I found in '98 was Rival Schools, and it was at that point that I had a much greater interest in the genre, and Rival Schools ended up my all-time favorite and the best for me, but that's another story.

Discovered Mugen some point around '05-'06 and admittedly felt that I was actually playing how the characters were like the source at the time.   And yet, throughout the years, learned more about other Fighting Games that existed in the past that I never even got the chance of playing.  Back when Chinatown Fair was still Fighting game focused on '07-'08, it was my spot to learn more about playing Fighting games at a higher level, but due to lack of stick handling, barely made any progress, but still a fun experience.  After getting a PS3 along with my now-dead fightstick, my whole focus was just collecting and playing Fighters, even the terrible ones as guilty pleases, and see just how much I could learn with such different mechanics and playstyles.  Considering trying out emulators one day.

Nowadays, just playing through usual online in a variety of Fighters, despite some lag here and there while going to remaining locals just to see if I can keep up.  As for Mugen, I still find it enjoyable after these years even learned better at doing combos and playstyles after fiddling with fighting games.
#51  August 15, 2013, 06:20:53 am
  • ロッキングガール
  • 「目指すはクールでロックなアイドル!」
    • twitter.com/c001357
havent touched a fighting game in ages. ive come to accept my eternal scrubitude
#52  August 15, 2013, 06:21:26 am
  • Me Bouncy
    • USA
    • runningwildwolf@gmail.com
    • http://youtube.com/runningwildvidya
Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 06:24:36 am by RunningWild
#53  August 15, 2013, 06:25:58 am
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • to hell with this site, find me at mffa or w/e
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/
ITT people express their FG prowess based on how many games they've played.

Bitches don't know about my Daraku Tenshi.

mang, i've played daraku tenshi, alien challenge, dragoon might, martial champion, mutant DNA, fight n jokes, universe hero, eternal champions, battle monsters, rabbit, tough guy, the killing blade, twin goddesses, tuff e nuff, and i STILL don't know how to play fighting games

unless you play me in rival schools or tekken cuz then u fuked
#54  August 15, 2013, 06:29:29 am
  • much love to r. kelly
yes, super smash brothers brawl is my favorite fighting game and soul calibur 3 is my favorite SRPG
#55  August 15, 2013, 06:30:46 am
Don't use that term ever again.
Noted.  "A thingy with only a barely-functional button" it is then.

unless you play me in rival schools or tekken cuz then u fuked
On a related note, surprisingly, there are still Tekken 3 cabinets on malls in Venezuela during my trip, and people still play it locally.  I lost quickly.
Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 06:37:13 am by Kirishima
#56  August 15, 2013, 06:35:03 am
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • to hell with this site, find me at mffa or w/e
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/
yo you should try 'the white hunka plastic with a stick and a buncha buttons' on it instead it works wonders
#57  August 15, 2013, 06:42:07 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
havent touched a fighting game in ages. ive come to accept my eternal scrubitude
one year for omk, 2 for kof.
-----
I kinda decided to drop kof until 13 made it to pc, now I am just hoping the netplay is good.
Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 06:51:58 am by maximilianjenus
#58  August 15, 2013, 06:51:16 am
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
Tekkens,All mortal Kombats,some bootleg fighters,Guilty Gear,Soul Eater,DBZ fighters etc.
The list goes on,since Fighting games are my favorite
#59  August 15, 2013, 06:59:08 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
@Kame, more like. People post bizarre comments as facts or post false info. And they sound like they don't play or own the games. So I wondered if they actually do. Also you're never going to win COTY till you make MvC3 Kyo. Look I already gave you a million dollar idea. Orochinagi wall bounce. OTG Red Kick. but nevermined that shit cuz here comes MONGO.

But there is also the factor of people just being fans of the series, but they don't like or play the game. And then that enters another section to think about.

Like I want to know if people know the stuff they say are true or not. for example say someone says Aerial projectiles with Akuma in SF IV is cheap, do they not know you can simply walk up and sweep him when he lands? if you're close enough you could walk past it. If you don't make it in time, you would trade hits with Akuma, fireball to your face, sweep knockdown on Akuma?

I don't think this is a problem within the Mugen community.  I  encountered one  troll who can't seem to find a solution to a spamming tactic in Sailormoon Jougai Rantou eventually turning into a discussion about alpha counters.  Had a long debate about the game having infinite alpha counters and he wouldn't believe me and kept saying the characters have short block stuns even mentions that the alpha counters in SFA require link hits to able to execute them.

http://sailormoonforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=19223
That's not an Alpha Counter. An Alpha Counter counters in between linked hits. It's basically a Combo Breaker for Block Strings. It's not even a Counter either because it has to out prioritise the move that it being done before it completes. What you're showing me is a punish, not a counter.

I'm assuming he does play fighting games just not at a competitive level.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#60  August 15, 2013, 07:01:36 am
yo you should try 'the white hunka plastic with a stick and a buncha buttons' on it instead it works wonders
Replace "stick" with "Ball Pipe" or "Lollipop" so it won't be confused for a Wii-U controller.