YesNoOk

Boss Characters Standards (Read 6406 times)

Started by gabe555, September 09, 2016, 01:49:15 am
Share this topic:
Boss Characters Standards
#1  September 09, 2016, 01:49:15 am
    • Argentina
Hey there ppl!
I was thinking about this for a week since in my Mugen style characters there's no "bosses" at all (with the Necromancer's Broly's exception of course) but since he's the only one I know I can't judge or take it as a standard. (I suck, I know)
So, we are all agree the basic is: Unbeatable, but... Unbeatable how?

- Superarmor?
- Hard AI?
- Prioritys?
- Epic Stance animation?
- A name prefix such as "God" or "Evil"?

What makes a character to be called Boss?
Please understand when I say "Boss" I'm no saying "A Boss in his game" I believe that's clear enough ha!
I want your opinion from the whole character's perspective. (coding, graphical, etc)
Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 01:54:09 am by gabe555
Re: Boss Characters Standards
#2  September 09, 2016, 02:13:15 am
  • Magna Power
  • Its Hotdog time. Hot.... Dog...time...
    • neofiresonicmugen.webs.com
Bosses aren't supposed to be unbeatable, if you're playing against an unbeatable character thats called a "time-waster"
this website is stupid
#3  September 09, 2016, 02:15:52 am
    • Argentina
Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 05:49:47 am by gabe555
#4  September 11, 2016, 12:04:10 am
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#5  September 11, 2016, 11:13:02 am
  • Pixels are atom's of resolution,Low-res or Hi-res
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com
For bosses I have Akuma,Final Bison,Asura(Akuma +Rugal),Dr.Doom,Dio,OniAkuma,Jin by Byakko.Bosses doesn't needs to be overpowered.They just need to have a really brutal ai but should  be beatible in my  opinion) Vegito 2.0 by MFT is good too but he just always spams instant transmission ki change and Specials or hyper's

and you can't even get near him.
#6  September 11, 2016, 11:47:52 am
  • ̢̻̮̫̬̹̞̼̲̪̜̭͇̲͒ͪ̌ͬ̒̄̔̐͘͟ͅ ̢̋ͬ̓͗̏̇̌̑͐ͤ͗̔̊̕͏̴̣͎̟͈̬͚
    • Monaco
as long  character's above average on your roster or the strongest char in your roster and beatable by weakest char in your roster
http://signavatar.com/32255_s.gif

please visit my request thread. here
bad grammar is art
#7  September 11, 2016, 09:55:57 pm
Grab GM's Gill, He's one of my final bosses.
#8  September 11, 2016, 10:00:17 pm
  • PSN&Steam: ViBeZ8282/Le-Fiction
    • USA
    • vonthegreat653@hotmail.com
Adaptable, much like DMC3's Vergil: He changes his fight patterns two times after your first fight with him. Also challenging but fun at the same time like Infinite's Kain
#9  September 12, 2016, 12:47:00 am
    • Argentina
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SNKBoss
and to some degree
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NintendoHard

"Breaking rules" interesting...

Vegito 2.0 by MFT is good too but he just always spams instant transmission ki change and Specials or hyper's

and you can't even get near him.

Yeah, I know what you say, i don't take It as a Boss, he has stuff to be fixed, priorities, exessive counter attacks, such a pitty I was retired when EGC coded It, I'm MFT leader/founder

Adaptable, much like DMC3's Vergil: He changes his fight patterns two times after your first fight with him. Also challenging but fun at the same time like Infinite's Kain
Thta's interesting, I'll check that out.

Alright pexxer, I'll search for It to see what you mean too
#10  September 13, 2016, 01:29:54 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
Try Kamekaze's Shin Bison. His 50% Shin setting is a perfect example of a Final Boss. Comes at you like crazy but he's also leaves himself open for a strike when he makes the wrong move. Even I can defeat him with the most simple of fighters like KFM. I think I also used some version of Guilmon EX to defeat him. I had the snapshot but lost it when my laptop died.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#11  September 13, 2016, 01:57:28 am
  • "VS. Style Debuts - CEO"
  • Death is the start of a brand new cycle
    • Brazil
    • Skype - emperorzankuro
    • https://shinzankuro.carrd.co/
This depends a lot of what type of fighting game you are supposed to play.

From my personal vision:

It's a regular fighting game?[SF2, MKII/III, KOF]

Boss type: Designwise wears better and looks more badass than the other characters, has more damage in normal moves, more priority, quick recovery from dizzy,  and spam much the special moves, and depending of the fighting game, can use super-damage based specials or supers[Yeah... That "Chõ Psycho Crusher" from SFZ3].

It's a crossover game? [Based on "Anyone" VS. Capcom standarts, especially the Marvel ones]:

Normally is a GIANT, VERY slow, with giga armor, half-screen-sized attacks and a imponent design [Yes, like Apocalypse, Abyss, Onslaught]

Key tip: They ALWAYS have more than one form.

Unless you want to bring a more "human" based boss[Like Mech-Gouki, or the two cybernetic womans from Beximus' Capcom Universe, Medusa and Nemesis], who has the same system from the regular characters but with more advantage, like more health points, destroyer level aerial raves, destructive hyper combos and etc.
- Want to commission me for a artwork? Just come here
- Donations is welcome
#12  September 13, 2016, 09:58:45 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
No rules for bosses. Always just means hard as fuck with a gimmick of some sort.

Darkstalkers: Pyron deals a lot of damage and can basically hit you from anywhere
SNK: Most of them have full screen bullshit and chip you down until you find the hole
Capcom: Varies a lot. Either high damage fuck you moves or hyper armour or transformations or all sorts. Onslaught vs M.Bison vs that flying asshole magneto in cota. No i can't hit you you fucker, you're above my super jump.

Plenty of times the boss is just everything maxed out and rubber band AI where the better you're doing the harder they get.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#13  September 13, 2016, 10:00:07 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
A lot of KOF bosses have a "super block" that means they block high, low and mid at the same time with the same animation.
#14  September 13, 2016, 10:38:06 am
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • to hell with this site, find me at mffa or w/e
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/
y'know the stuff that they do in the old mortal kombat games?

yeah don't do any of that
#15  September 16, 2016, 02:08:19 am
POTS edit of Reu's Evil Ken can be a mid type boss, he is  very fun to fight same goes for Ryu.
Dont mind me tough I have like 10 bosses in my arcade lmao.Same goes for infinites Doom, but he is way easier.

vyn

#16  September 21, 2016, 03:29:15 am
    • Mexico
    • armandojc3@gmail.com
kof bosses tend to have crazy invinsibility frames also
#17  October 09, 2016, 01:00:38 am
    • USA
    • hamalto1990@yahoo.com
boss character should be beating by character on a roster i don't know about that.

unless you're talking about bosses with cheap ablities like super armor or u can only hit the boss at certain spot, more than one heal bar
the only problem with this is with its an AI fight the AI won't know what to do sometimes.

what about characters with hard AI lvl like pot ryu, dmc4 dante no way r u beating them someone like kung fu man.

the ai that pisses me of the most is the ai that juggle the shit out of u and people still consider them as a normal character

r u talking about the normal kof bosses or the edit versions because they are a who another lvl of cheapness and i need my dbz transform edit as AI to beat.
#18  October 12, 2016, 08:38:48 am
  • The Best of Both Worlds
  • SuperStar
Hello everybody.
I think in a very powerful attack like that Zankuro's attack which removes all your lifebar with 1 hit, as I remember in SS4.

#19  October 17, 2016, 07:18:45 pm
  • You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance
An extremely good anti-air move that does high damage and gets you everytime you try to jump in, to really cheese the player off.

Think Rugal Bernstein from KOF'94, '95, and '02 and you'll get the picture. Fun times.
Fighting games with emphasis on non-regular characters:
http://www.youtube.com/krizalid99v2
#20  October 20, 2016, 03:30:48 pm
Fuck, ShinSmoke's POTS Sakura AI can make a mid-type boss, her pokes are amazing, her grab as well, her normals are fast, she's fast, her roll is also very good,her damage output is very good as well, and her combos are a complete piss take, I can do a 25 hit combo with her take most of your life bar with my eyes closed. Cheap char all around. Imma quote a friend here, the only EX move she does not have is a n EX walk, lol. Dont get me started on Dark Sakura.. If you dont know how to play, POTS version is so OP you can start with her.

Never played Sakura in the official games, but the POTS version I played like 5 mins with her and god damn. She is so equipped you can mangle pretty much most of the chars if you have even a little skill.
When I fight against her she can take some damage as well, so she's not a glass cannon.
Not a dig at the Sakura players, just my opinion of the POTS version of her.

But Do I love me, ShinSmoke's AI, yeah its kinda broken, Nash can sonic boom with no delay what so ever and small things like that but its fun as hell to fight against.Grab any of the ShinSmoke AI patches, that shit dope.
Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 03:42:30 pm by PeXXeR