YesNoOk

WinVista < Windows XP SP2....I have NO SOUND!!!!!!!!!! (Read 2172 times)

Started by #Shaun, September 24, 2007, 06:33:29 pm
Share this topic:
WinVista < Windows XP SP2....I have NO SOUND!!!!!!!!!!
#1  September 24, 2007, 06:33:29 pm
  • corner push pusher
I had a top-of- the-line gateway laptop 5 months ago (dual processor, 100GB storage, 1024RAM), but had to sell it due to financial probs.  Now I'm using a bunk compaq desktop tower (has two RAM boards in it, they equal out to 332RAM speed  :-X) that I've had since 1999.

I tried putting vista on it (like an idiot), and it installed everything but sound.  I tried installing several drivers, but because it requires 32bit of sound (and this POS desktop only goes to 16bit) I aborted it all, reformatted the hard-drive, and put XP SP2 back on.....

...or so I thought.  Now my XP CD is hella-scratched up and it puts everything on BUT SOUND!!!!!!!!!!!.  Everytime I turn the computer on, it loads up and says:

Windows can not install the MEDIA driver (or some shit like that).  It asks to install the PCI Input and Multimedia Audio Controller.

I have tried putting in the PCI512 XP update driver, SBLive, SoundMAX Digital Audio, and my soul into making this problem go away, but I get nothing.

I put WinVista on it -> it messed the computer up -> I reformat it and put XP -> I still get no sound.

What can I do?  Am I just gonna have to deal without sound?  If that's so I can forget about making MUGEN chars with SFX  :ninja: :ninja:
Re: WinVista < Windows XP SP2....I have NO SOUND!!!!!!!!!!
#2  September 26, 2007, 02:00:40 am
  • In after lock
    • mugenguild.com/~messatsu/index.html
You'll need to contact your vendor (compaq) to get drivers for your computer.  Your reformat w/XP is without the factory DVD, right?

Many people risk their lives everyday by having Mugen.
#3  September 26, 2007, 05:18:52 pm
  • corner push pusher
....The backup CDs that originally came with this old junk are gone from this earth, ever since 2001 (when I moved to a new place).  I've had no choice but to use the reformat DVD that came with my laptop....gateway BTW.
#4  September 26, 2007, 06:51:45 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
you must know the chipset and maker of your soun card, so you can look for the proper drivers. is opening up the case an option?
#5  September 26, 2007, 07:17:45 pm
  • corner push pusher
Yeah, I plan on running a diag-check later on tonight. I haven't taking the side panel off my tower yet because I need to get on the horn with a customer service rep from india to hold my hand and walk me through his/her advice in fixing my problem.

Long distance is expensive when you yourself are inexpensive  ;P
#6  September 26, 2007, 07:21:02 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran
India?
#7  September 26, 2007, 07:53:02 pm
  • corner push pusher
 :D  Everytime I need to make a non-toll-free call about a comp problem, every customer service rep I get is a woman from india, or somewhere not in the US. No joke.
#8  September 26, 2007, 08:01:58 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
simple.

cost of one hour of international long distance for a big company that buys a lot of them: at most 5 dollars.
cost of one hour of man labor of a "capable" 3rd world country tenchnician and english speaking person. 16 dollars a day / 8 hours a day = 2 dollars

cost of one hour of a "capable" technician in the us or any other 1st world country: about 15 dollars a hour.
#9  September 28, 2007, 04:30:23 pm
  • corner push pusher
simple.

cost of one hour of international long distance for a big company that buys a lot of them: at most 5 dollars.
cost of one hour of man labor of a "capable" 3rd world country tenchnician and english speaking person. 16 dollars a day / 8 hours a day = 2 dollars

cost of one hour of a "capable" technician in the us or any other 1st world country: about 15 dollars a hour.

Heh, the ol' 'cost of labor' issue. Why am I not surprised....