YesNoOk

Random advice about overheating Laptop for you.  (Read 497 times)

Started by Shamrock, March 14, 2012, 11:05:05 pm
Share this topic:
Random advice about overheating Laptop for you.
#1  March 14, 2012, 11:05:05 pm
  • I got a PM.
I thought I would share a trick I did to solve this problem on a windows laptop. All my hardware is aging badly as I haven't replaced equipment in forever but that is because I buy top spec and then nurse it all the way until it is ready for hospice care and then I save up for new. Right now my laptop is starting to reach that stage.

My overheating problem was starting freezing I think as a safety measure. I have found a trick that has solved the problem for now. I underclocked the thing. You can change your power saving setting where you clock your processor at 80% I did not come up with this on my own but other had a 10 degree drop in temp and in my case I have not froze in a week when before I was starting to do it daily. I also notice no drop in performance but I also don't use it for gaming a such.

I thought I would share and hope it was useful for someone on here. I imagine a lot of us don't have a shit load of funds.
Re: Random advice about overheating Laptop for you.
#2  March 15, 2012, 10:43:31 am
  • I stand alone.
    • UK
    • hyperionx.net
What are your specs? You may be giving people false hopes due to:

1. Their CPU may not support "underclocking"
2. Possibly only available on Windows Vista/Windows 7
3. Going from 2, I've witnessed and tested some cases where it seems to ignore the setting in power management, despite the CPU clearly being able to support it

If anyone was to try it and it doesn't work, buy a laptop cooler pad. As long as you're not grinding your laptop to the wall then a cooler would be able to prolong the usage of it.

An example is my old Dell which I fried its GPU on, works great as a work laptop with a cooler pad.
Don't PM me. =(
(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)