YesNoOk

Kagura Mutsuki (Blazblue CPEX) released by Deoxgigas! (Final Updated 10/06/2017) (Read 30998 times)

Started by Deoxgigas, June 11, 2017, 03:18:52 am
Share this topic:
Kagura Mutsuki (Blazblue CPEX) released by Deoxgigas! (Final Updated 10/06/2017)
#1  June 11, 2017, 03:18:52 am
    • Denmark
    • exdeathgolbez@gmail.com
10/06/2017 Update Notes:

- Added a Taunt (Start Button).
- Added extra voice files for the Spinning state, Guard Break state and getting up from the ground.
- Added the Same Move Proration to the Crush Trigger attack, which it's supposed to have.
- Added a new, more electrifying animation for a successful Throw Reject.
- Added more fluff to ground bounces to make it look more like the source game.
- Added the animation for Distortion Finish which had sprites taking up space since the very beginning.
- Increased the amount of Burst Gauge recovered when being damaged.
- The opponent will now be forced into the standard air hurt state when Kagura kicks them off the ground, making them act closer to how OTG attacks work in Blazblue.
- The overdrive timer now freezes while Kagura is using an Overdrive Distortion super.

- Fixed another case of the same variable used for multiple different states.
- Fixed Kagura being able to cancel into Overdrive when hitting with 6X, because apparently he's not supposed to be able to do that.
- Fixed the buffer instantly triggering 5X when using Rapid Cancel, facing the wrong way when using Rapid Cancel during 6A-Y and not being able to Rapid Cancel certain other moves.
- Fixed the opponent going straight into a guard state when breaking Stagger after getting hit by 5A-X.
- Fixed 6A-Z missing its attack ID in the 1.1 version of Kagura, making it unable to cause a wall slam on counter hit like it's supposed to.
- Fixed every Superpause giving the opponent a defense boost, because apparently I have to specify for the state to NOT do that. That explains alot of past issues with scaling.
- Fixed Kagura not getting an attack boost in 12p.
- Fixed various smaller errors here and there. (voices, animations, etc)

- AI fixes and adjustments, mostly regarding the Barrier.

07/02/2017 Update Notes:

- Fixed even more major buggery with the Barrier caused by an oversight with the variables used.
- Fixed Kagura's Ryuujinshou Z having way longer fallrecover time on it than it was supposed to when not near the corner.
- Fixed Kagura losing his iframes too soon during his Neutral Tech recovery.
- Fixed Kagura NOT losing his iframes until landing when doing an Aerial recovery.
- Increased the distance traveled when holding forwards or backwards while doing an Aerial Recovery.
- Fixed Kagura automatically super jumping forwards if the opponent is far enough away.
- Fixed part of the Burst icon effect being misplaced when it's fully charged.
- Other smaller fixes.
- Replaced palette 8 and 9 with two new ones matching other Blazblue characters.
- Kagura will now play his intro when entering a Turns match and not being the first character fighting.
- AI Fixes and Adjustments, as always.

06/23/2017 Update Notes:

- Fixed Kagura's Barrier mysteriously draining in practically an instant against characters with certain kinds of attacks.
- Fixed a rather peculiar bug I somehow missed where Kagura would constantly turn around when entering another Drive Stance (5A, 2A) after hitting with 6A-Y.
- Swapped out one Match Win voice clip for another. Also added a few extra ones for... Later potential use.
- Kagura should now properly sound like he's actually hitting the floor when tripped.
- The default value of Kagura's voice frequency is now 3 out of 10 (used to be 1).
- AI Improvements and Updates as always.

06/15/2017 Update Notes:

- Added an option variable to change the frequency that Kagura speaks.
- Changed the position coordinates for Player 2 Kagura's UI elements (burst, heat bar, etc). In most cases, they'll remain the same as before, but on certain kinds of 1.1 stages, the bars should no longer end up in the middle of the screen, instead of on the right.
- There's a localcoord option that can be activated in Kagura's DEF file now. Activating it will make him fit into the stages where his UI is usually cut off at the bottom, and make his size smaller.
- AI Updates

So now we went and made Blazblue characters.

Find him on my OneDrive here.

Unlike the Touhou characters I've made, Kagura was made to be as close to source accurate as I could manage;
Albeat with a few adjustments, because this is Mugen, and things don't always work the same in Mugen.

Note that there's both a Mugen 1.1 and Mugen 1.0 version of Kagura, and just like the Touhou characters, I strongly recommend getting the 1.1 version, because converting from Mugen 1.1 to 1.0 has a tendency of absolutely destroying the more advanced sprite images a character might have, not to mention that 1.0 just can't keep up with certain coding in the same way 1.1 can.

For more specific information, go to my site. http://vaultofdeoxgigas.webs.com/

Movelist and specific mechanic information can be found in the readme file Kagura comes with.

Here's some examples of Kagura fighting:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

And now a bunch of exposition for anyone interested:

The Story so far...

After having made a bunch of Touhou characters filled to the brim with bullets and shiny effects, I decided to look towards a new challenge, and I found it in the vast unexplored world of Blazblue. I've wondered a few times in the past about why there were so few Blazblue characters out there, and even fewer source accurate ones, but I would soon find out while making this guy.

Turns out that a huge amount of the effect sprites in the game are either made out of a single sheet putting together a few sprites in a million patterns, or they're just plain 3d textured effects, which are super hard to rip properly, unless you know how to break down the game entirely and somehow capture them. And while there are a few people out there who've done that (and thank god for those people or we wouldn't have any worthwhile effects whatsoever from the games), I couldn't be bothered learning how to do so for what was essentially just a fun side project for me, so in all the cases where I didn't have the sprite (or sound for that matter), I decided to just improvise instead, and either use the available ones in new ways or (in 2 cases) import them from other games.

In the end, somehow this "side project" ended up eating more time and effort than pretty much all my other characters. I guess that's what trying to be source accurate does for you.

Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 01:38:57 am by Deoxgigas
Re: Kagura Mutsuki (Blazblue CPEX) released by Deoxgigas!
#2  June 11, 2017, 03:28:24 am
Are you sure about the round checking thing for the Astral Heat.
I know Kamekaze's C.Falcon along with some of his other FA characters can only use their finishers on the last round with the opponent at low health.
Then again I could just be missing something.
Edit: Also congrats on the release and all that.
#3  June 11, 2017, 03:32:51 am
    • Denmark
It's written in the readme, but I'll explain it here.

Basically, normally, you'd only be able to use Astral Heats during the last round you need to win a match. But in Mugen, there's no real way to check that unless you just assume that your character is going to fight Best out of 3, 5, 7 or so on and set it accordingly.

And I have good reason to assume that this guy will be fighting in different Best Ofs, so I decided to just allow Kagura to use his Astral Heat as long as all the other regular conditions are met (35% or less HP and all), and then prevent him from using it again in any following rounds if he already won with it once.
#4  June 11, 2017, 03:35:28 am
Okay then makes sense.
This character is pretty good from what i've gathered so far.
Edit: Hopefully in the future there will be more rips for Blazblue.
Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 03:48:43 am by Memes never die
#5  June 11, 2017, 03:52:22 am
Sorry for the double post but it seems like on his Astral during the second slice of his sword at the beginning of it(after the first hit connects) it's missing the second energy pillar thing.
Here's an example of the Astral in the original game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fhwU0TrOvQ
Though it could be just me.
I'm using his 1.0 version.
#6  June 11, 2017, 03:58:19 am
    • Denmark
Huh, now that you mention it, I never actually noticed the smaller pillar after the second slash.

I'll get right on that and have it fixed up very soon.
#7  June 11, 2017, 04:01:54 am
#8  June 11, 2017, 04:24:47 am
    • Denmark
Nice also if you weren't doing so already(though i'd doubt that) Dustloop can help with understanding the character more.
http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php/BBCPE/Kagura_Mutsuki
If you do already know about this then you can just ignore me.

Done and done. More fluff has been added to the Astral Heat, and both versions of Kagura have been reuploaded. Your input has been valuable.

And yeah, I've been using Dustloop and Boxdox Dantarion from the very beginning.
They've been the main source of data values I've been using throughout the project of making this character,

#9  June 11, 2017, 04:32:43 am
Okay then also random question but do you plan on making an unlimited version or any more Blazblue characters.
This isn't a request just me asking what you plan on doing afterwords. Regardless i'll likely check out your works anyway.
#10  June 11, 2017, 08:20:01 am
  • 6A6A6A6A6A6A6A6A6A
    • USA
A new BlazBlue character? And a source-accurate one? This is great. While I have never liked using Kagura, this is certainly something I must have.
#11  June 11, 2017, 12:47:12 pm
Absolutely great char!!
But Ryuujinshou can't use normally except normal attack cancel.
#12  June 11, 2017, 01:54:23 pm
    • Denmark
Slight modifications and further AI improvements in the newest versions today. Gathering data on one of those online Mugen sites often reveals new things to fix.

Okay then also random question but do you plan on making an unlimited version or any more Blazblue characters.
This isn't a request just me asking what you plan on doing afterwords. Regardless i'll likely check out your works anyway.

I'd need a bit more documentation for Unlimited versions and I haven't been able to find much. Would be amusing to make that motorcycle Overdrive super though.

In any case, I don't plan to make anymore characters for quite a while. I need a long rest after this monster of a project.

But if I ever do make more Blazblue characters, it's gonna be Azrael.

A new BlazBlue character? And a source-accurate one? This is great. While I have never liked using Kagura, this is certainly something I must have.

I've seen that you are capable of ripping the missing 3d effects. I'm somewhat envious.

Absolutely great char!!
But Ryuujinshou can't use normally except normal attack cancel.

Aye, I've had a few troubles with that myself, often ending up Super Jumping instead.

I've now implemented a counter (which you can see in the corner in debug mode) that goes up while you're holding the down button, and if it's over the 45 ticks you need to use Ryuujinshou, it should prevent you from canceling into super jump by accident. If it still proves clunky, I'll look more into it later.
#13  June 11, 2017, 03:31:25 pm
  • 6A6A6A6A6A6A6A6A6A
    • USA
#14  June 11, 2017, 03:38:29 pm
    • Denmark
Ah, those, huh. I assumed you had ripped real 3d effects based on the pictures from your Izanami project thread, where those giant skulls look alot like they'd qualify.

That and Susanoo had quite a few effect sprites I had never seen before in any other character; that is, outside of his own character specific ones.
#15  June 11, 2017, 04:52:48 pm
  • Embrace Whateverness
  • Presented by ZAIA
    • Brazil
    • thefaelduarte@hotmail.com
Not much complaints over here. This Kagura is okay.

-Maybe it's me or sometimes his voice clips doesn't play during certain attacks.
-Nitpick: No taunt.

That's all for now.
#16  June 11, 2017, 05:15:16 pm
    • Fate7777@outlook.com
Thank you for this character, good contunation.
#17  June 11, 2017, 05:51:23 pm
Wow, looks impressive. Gonna check this asap. Thanks
#18  June 11, 2017, 07:02:36 pm
    • Denmark
Not much complaints over here. This Kagura is okay.

-Maybe it's me or sometimes his voice clips doesn't play during certain attacks.
-Nitpick: No taunt.

That's all for now.

The voice thing is really just a personal preference of mine. I don't particularly like when characters in fighting games constantly yell out their move names in the exact same tone, and do so so rapidly that they end up overlapping each other, and, oh boy, they do that alot in Blazblue.
So I decided to only make Kagura shout 20% of the time, when using his Normals, Drive moves or Specials.

Also I think I've practically run out of buttons for a taunt, hah.

And to everyone else, your thanks are appreciated.
#19  June 11, 2017, 07:15:10 pm
  • Embrace Whateverness
  • Presented by ZAIA
    • Brazil
    • thefaelduarte@hotmail.com
Oh I see.

Well, there's always start button for the taunt unless you're using it for something else.
#20  June 15, 2017, 01:48:21 am
    • Denmark
Just a small update; after hearing a few concerns about the frequency the voices play, I decided to make an option variable for 'em, so you can now change it yourself.

You'll find it at the very bottom of the first CNS file (kaguramutsuki.cns).

1 is the default that had been running up till now.

Also, I probably had another small AI update inbetween. I think.

EDIT: Also, after seeing a few screenshots of Mugen 1.1 matches where Player 2 Kagura's Heat, Barrier and Burst UI elements were oddly placed in the middle of the screen, I've gone through their pos values and changed them all from left to right, which should place them properly.

Only issue left is the fact that his UI (and all my other characters', for that matter) is cut off on some 1.1 stages. Only real fix I've found for this is changing his localcoord in the DEF file to 420. It'll also make Kagura alot smaller, but I guess that's fitting for those stages.
Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 01:21:11 pm by Deoxgigas