YesNoOk

CvS-ish Necro Sprite set (Read 5583 times)

Started by inktrebuchet, July 02, 2018, 09:35:02 pm
Share this topic:
CvS-ish Necro Sprite set
#1  July 02, 2018, 09:35:02 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
These sprites were an experiment using a different process to resized SF3 sprites and reduce their palette to look closer to CvS sprites. No touch ups have been done to these. Original sprite rips by ZweiFuss.

Preview:

Probably not the best host so feel free to host somewhere else if you like. *Saved as massive gif
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 07:01:53 pm by ink
Re: CvS-ish Necro Sprite set
#2  July 02, 2018, 10:13:19 pm
your spoiler doesn't load to me on Opera and Firefox. Internet speed is not an issue here. I'd suggest uploading the gif somewhere like mediafire or dropbox.

edit: looks like direct link after quoting your post works: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/451492018271682561/463424930449588224/CvS-Necro.gif

I like the result. Any chance for sharing how exactly it has been done? Maybe a link to your photoshop macro?

For Street Fighter III characters in CVS style some mugen authors use xscale= 0.83333, yscale= 0.96754 for [size] in constant file, and the result is surprisingly good. What's the scaling factor used here?
Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 10:19:38 pm by K4thos
#3  July 02, 2018, 11:07:21 pm
    • USA
New palette example added to first post! (CvS King's palette)

Thanks K4thos. I'll try to give a rough idea of how it was done.

Two gifs using all of his sprites were made.

The First Gif:
-All of Necro's colors were reduced to only use 5 colors. The colors were reduced according to what would look most like CvS, not by choosing the amount of colors used in a dropdown menu.
-The gif was reduced in size using Bilinear.
-Scale was decide by comparing CvS Ryu sprites to SF3 Ryu sprites.
-Once resized, the colors were reduced once more the same way, to only use 5 colors.

The Second Gif:
- All section of Necro's original sprites were made solid colors. Pants solid purple, skin solid blue ect. (no shading)
-The gif was reduced in size using Nearest Neighbor.
-Scaled to the same size as the first gif.

Combined The Two:
-All of the sprites from the second gif are put above the layers of the first.
-Each new layer from the second gif is made visible on top of their matching sprite in the first gif.
-Each new layer's Opacity is set to 50%. This color separates the sprites.
#4  July 03, 2018, 06:46:51 pm
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
That's a clever technique that can proportionate really impressive results, my friend! :D

Now I must see how it handles a hi-res fighter...
#5  July 04, 2018, 07:06:48 pm
    • USA
Thanks man. It should work on hi-res fighters too, as long as they don't have a tone of detail. A lot of detail would make the resized sprite pretty muddy.

I updated the first post. A CvS palette has been applied to show off the sprites better and Effie has been separated a little more.(she was sharing one color with Necro before.)

If anyone decides to use these, hit me up with some progress and I'll put together the remaining CvS animations. (Run, etc.)
#6  July 04, 2018, 07:43:50 pm
  • El Chanfle
  • Latino Americano, Young Generation & Drawist
    • Mexico
 :laugh: Yo this is Sick! Awesome ink! Looks very good.

"Survival of the fittest is nature's way!"
#7  July 05, 2018, 03:24:39 pm
  • Pixels are atom's of resolution,Low-res or Hi-res
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com
would this method work for sth like Kofxiii sprites?
#8  July 05, 2018, 03:48:35 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Ink: If you are really interested in working in doulbe resing sprite sets send me a pm.
#9  July 05, 2018, 07:08:51 pm
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
Nice result!
-All of Necro's colors were reduced to only use 5 colors. The colors were reduced according to what would look most like CvS, not by choosing the amount of colors used in a dropdown menu.
So you hand picked the colors you want, right? But why only 5 colors for all the sprite and not for areas, like pants and so?
#10  July 05, 2018, 07:39:48 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
My guess is because Necro only used different shades of a few colors and they narrowed it down to five colors to use for the basic look. Other than Twelve, I figure he was the easiest to convert to pseudo CvS style because of it. Besides, this was probably a test to see if the process would work.
#11  July 05, 2018, 09:25:16 pm
    • USA
I tried it the way you're describing but found I liked the results a little more by doing it this way.
#12  July 13, 2018, 11:35:44 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
This is awesome!! I was thinking about Necro these days and BOOM!! you appeared with him out of nowehere.

Dude, I'm affraid of you D:!!!
I swear there was something cool here!!