YesNoOk

Pokemon Go thread (Read 198291 times)

Started by Jango, August 01, 2016, 08:08:55 pm
Share this topic:
Pokemon Go thread
#1  August 01, 2016, 08:08:55 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA

Pokémon Go is a free downloadable app for iPhone and Android platforms. It is an AR game which requires you to explore the world around you to find and catch Pokémon, evolve/train them, and use them to take over Gyms for your team. Along the way, you can find Pokéstops to get free items, and Gyms to battle Pokemon to either strengthen your team's gym or take over a rival team's.

There are in-game purchases that you can make, but aside from increases to Pokémon/Item storage, all items can be found by leveling up or visting Pokéstops, so it's possible to not actually spend any money on this game at all and still have the full experience (although you'll probably at least want to pick up the storage upgrades eventually).

I was going to write a beginner's guide, but it's pretty self-explanatory and there are a wealth of resources out there that are much better at explaining the ins and outs of this game. I'll be linking to some of these here.

USEFUL LINKS
Pokémon Go DB - Has a good Beginner's Tutorial if you need extra help on getting started in this game.

Pokémon Go: Advanced tips from people who play too damn much - Due to a lack of official documentation, it is very easy to make very wasteful mistakes. This guide will show you how to avoid that.

The Silph Road Research Tools - After you get more comfortable with the game, the resources here show the efficiency of certain attacks and you can get a general idea of your Pokemon's stats. Their subreddit is constantly being updated with new finds and is a valuable resource for people who want to step up their game.

Poké Assistant - Quite a good number of tools that will allow you to do things like calculate your Pokémon's stats (use with the game's Appraisal feature to narrow down results), learn ideal movesets for attacking/defending a gym, and even some more niche stuff like "how many Pidgeys and Pidgey Candy should I have on hand to evolve all of them so that I can make the best use out of my Lucky Egg?"

Trainer Tips - This is probably one of the better Pokemon Go-centered channels out there at the moment. While it is mostly a vlog of Nick and Juan exploring the world around them (Nick filmed a bunch of episodes in Maui when he was on vacation!) and their misadventures in catching Pokemon, every episode starts out with information on how certain mechanics work, testing common myths out, or discussing updates. It is very professionally run (if a thumbnail says something, that's exactly what you get, no clickbaiting) and I highly recommend watching them.

Spoiler: Original First Post (click to see content)
Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 06:13:53 am by J.A.N.G.O.
Re: Pokemon Go thread
#2  August 02, 2016, 01:21:49 am
  • Sr. Black Person
  • Mess with the chuchu you get the pewpew
    • USA
    • Kamekaze.world
its almost like doing the opposite of what your new consumer base wants has negative consequences. But surely they will learn from this....surely.
Want to feel useful for a useless show? click here
119/150 Chars, I'm not dead yet....the true surprise is in my thread.
Hahahah fuck you photobucket.
#3  August 02, 2016, 02:23:23 am
  • That's awesome!
    • Canada
#4  August 02, 2016, 02:30:17 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Why not?
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#5  August 02, 2016, 02:36:51 am
  • Every night fucks every day up
  • Every day patches the night up
    • Puerto Rico
It begins I guess
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#6  August 02, 2016, 03:03:20 am
  • Sr. Black Person
  • Mess with the chuchu you get the pewpew
    • USA
    • Kamekaze.world
Want to feel useful for a useless show? click here
119/150 Chars, I'm not dead yet....the true surprise is in my thread.
Hahahah fuck you photobucket.
#7  August 02, 2016, 03:21:00 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/08/01/recent-statistics-reveal-majority-pokmon-gos-players-women/

Yeah, I don't believe that for one second...
Personally, I've only ever gone Pokemon hunting with women. Down here, it's a lot easier to find women playing it than men, and it's more of a comeraderie thing (ie: hunting together, visiting the weird-ass Pokestops, catching up with each other, etc). Also women seem to be more willing to help out complete strangers for some reason. Like a girl will see that I'm playing Pokemon Go, then tell me where to find a certain rare Pokemon, or tell me about a stop she set a Lure on. Once one offered to look after my bag while I went to trigger a spawn and  catch it (and yes my bag was intact when I got back).

Most of the men I know that are into it are more private with it or are more focused on the game aspect (ie: calculating IVs, beating gyms). Dunno why.
#8  August 02, 2016, 03:24:15 am
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Wow, that's so weird, I play with my lady friends and they help out fellow trainers whenever they can too. The guys I find playing it are about the team aspect of the game and don't really want to help a guy out.
#9  August 02, 2016, 04:30:50 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Same. On the plus side, all the guys in this one particular street gang are part of Team Instinct like me, so as I discovered early on, I have gang protection lol

UPDATE: The Ingress CM speaks

In other words "I don't want nothin' to do with this shit"

UPDATE2: Niantic finally gives a sorta-response on Facebook

Trainers,
As many of you know, we recently made some changes to Pokémon GO.
- We have removed the ‘3-step’ display in order to improve upon the underlying design. The original feature, although enjoyed by many, was also confusing and did not meet our underlying product goals. We will keep you posted as we strive to improve this feature.
- We have limited access by third-party services which were interfering with our ability to maintain quality of service for our users and to bring Pokémon GO to users around the world. The large number of users has made the roll-out of Pokémon GO around the world an... interesting… challenge. And we aren’t done yet! Yes, Brazil, we want to bring the game to you (and many other countries where it is not yet available).
We have read your posts and emails and we hear the frustration from folks in places where we haven’t launched yet, and from those of you who miss these features. We want you to know that we have been working crazy hours to keep the game running as we continue to launch globally. If you haven’t heard us Tweeting much it’s because we’ve been heads down working on the game. But we’ll do our best going forward to keep you posted on what’s going on.
Be safe, be nice to your fellow trainers, and keep on exploring.
The Pokémon GO team
Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 08:45:39 am by J.A.N.G.O.
#10  August 04, 2016, 05:18:27 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
So you wanna be a master of POKEMON?! Well just fork over $30,000 to these Chinese dudes to make the ultimate ball throwing helper!

Ignoring the fact that balls will naturally curve for a variety of reasons (ie: higher levels, using razz berries) and that catch rate is based on the COLOR of the circle rather than just hitting it... why
Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 05:21:56 am by J.A.N.G.O.
#11  August 04, 2016, 05:40:48 am
  • Video Game Veteran
  • Can you do it? SUREYOUCAN!
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr

"You must defeat my flaming
dragon punch to stand a chance."
#12  August 04, 2016, 08:49:51 pm
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
#13  August 05, 2016, 05:30:59 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
#14  August 05, 2016, 09:00:04 am
  • Back to the Beginnings
    • https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Wow, I'm starting to get less and less reasons to want this game.

Good thing I did not bought it yet, otherwise I would be literally buried by such big amounts of disappointment.
===My discord servers===
Unlimited Force HQ: https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Mega Man Megamix Engine Help Server: https://discord.gg/Wjm9GYU

Touhou database (by Ryouchi):
http://mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
you are all small and can't grow manly sideburns
#15  August 05, 2016, 09:12:53 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
...Buy?
It seems you made minimal research about it so I doubt you even wanted it in the first place.
#16  August 05, 2016, 10:07:20 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
#17  August 05, 2016, 10:13:54 am
Wow, I'm starting to get less and less reasons to want this game.

Good thing I did not bought it yet, otherwise I would be literally buried by such big amounts of disappointment.
buy a fucking clue first
#18  August 05, 2016, 11:45:59 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
A few people accidentally found a way to get Articuno early, so Niantic did what any responsible developer would do and went into those people's accounts and revoked the pokemon from them.

Because fuck you, our customers.  You can't enjoy the game until we say you're allowed.
they had hacked the game and were claiming on their facebook pages and etc that Nyantic had offered them the pokemons as an apology. Fuck them.
Yeah I can second this, they were hacks. There was an earlier instance where someone hacked a Ditto (which Niantic has very little coding for) so while it showed up fine at the gym screen (where the Pokemon just hang out) the dude stored it at, it was completely invisible otherwise and only knew Tackle and Struggle.

Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, and Mew are the only five Pokemon without capture rates, and it's already been stated that those are ONLY supposed to be given out at events, so the only way they could've been received were through hacks.
#19  August 05, 2016, 10:42:25 pm
  • Back to the Beginnings
    • https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
...Buy?
It seems you made minimal research about it so I doubt you even wanted it in the first place.
For me, this is pretty much buying, because I need to buy a newer iPhone in order to be able to play POKéMON Go.
Because appearantly, an iPhone 4 is "too old" to get the iOS necesary for POKéMON Go!
===My discord servers===
Unlimited Force HQ: https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Mega Man Megamix Engine Help Server: https://discord.gg/Wjm9GYU

Touhou database (by Ryouchi):
http://mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
you are all small and can't grow manly sideburns
#20  August 06, 2016, 12:01:51 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Easily one of the worst attempts at saving face I've ever seen. You could've easily said that in the first place instead of implying that the game had a price.