YesNoOk

Humble Bundle NEOGEO Pack (Read 7892 times)

Started by Iced, December 08, 2015, 09:54:01 pm
Share this topic:
Humble Bundle NEOGEO Pack
#1  December 08, 2015, 09:54:01 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Re: Humble Bundle NEOGEO Pack
#2  December 08, 2015, 10:40:35 pm
  • The Chaos has ended. You will be remembered!
    • Germany
Thank you!
#3  December 08, 2015, 11:04:45 pm
  • üks kurb olend
    • Finland
If someone figures out how to edit the files to reconfigure the controls, pls tell me.
conscious dreamers can be treasurer to their own currency
im a conscious dreamer
therefore i can be treasurer to my own currency

i can be the mind controller
#4  December 09, 2015, 01:18:14 am
  • ロッキングガール
  • 「目指すはクールでロックなアイドル!」
    • twitter.com/c001357
#5  December 09, 2015, 01:20:52 am
    • USA
It's Dotemu, of course it's shit  :furious:
#6  December 09, 2015, 01:31:22 am
Dotemu, lol.

Well that was quick.
#7  December 09, 2015, 01:31:56 am
  • SNK is life
So let me get this straight ... You'd be buying Emulated ROMS from SNKP directly, who outsourced the "Porting" of said games? It feels kinda like "justice", since the existence of those exact products is what brought them to the brink of bankruptcy and perma-death.

Technically they'd be selling their own intellectual property, in the form of the work of people who ripped them off.
#8  December 09, 2015, 01:38:41 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
you can even set it so all of the money goes to snkplaymore directly.
#9  December 09, 2015, 02:24:46 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
#10  December 09, 2015, 05:44:10 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
LOL after reading the twitter link, apparently they ripped off Nebula. Fucking wow.
#11  December 09, 2015, 03:24:17 pm
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/

rofl

Shit
#12  December 09, 2015, 03:26:40 pm
    • USA
#13  December 09, 2015, 03:36:14 pm
  • Shit
Really? Their business tactics revolve around buying rights from emulators, and then selling it? That's a really darn shitty business tactic, if I've ever seen one.

Shit
#14  December 09, 2015, 03:50:24 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Legalizing what was illegal and getting profit to their original companies? It sounds like a decent thing to do.

I would rather have ports , but having legal options for those games isalways nice.
#15  December 09, 2015, 03:57:15 pm
    • USA
My main issue with these kind of ports and their low effort is that you're just not getting a better deal out of them for the most part. The price is good (Considering it's a humble bundle) and it's cool to finally be able to own a legal digital release of these games, but they're often worse than their emulated counterparts (Even worse when you're actually buying emulated games instead of native ports). The emulator they're bound to don't have all the cool tools your usual emulator has and you end up paying for a worse experience than the free (Pirated) variant offers
#16  December 09, 2015, 03:58:32 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Really? Their business tactics revolve around buying rights from emulators, and then selling it? That's a really darn shitty business tactic, if I've ever seen one.

There is nothing shitty about being able to play a great old games on PC without downloading it somewhere ilegally.
#17  December 09, 2015, 04:01:49 pm
The emulator they're bound to don't have all the cool tools your usual emulator has and you end up paying for a worse experience than the free (Pirated) variant offers
Well you never expect to have those tools when you buy the actual game and play it normally, not on an emulator, so... The only legit question is, is there a notable difference between this and what a legit port would be if you hadn't dug through the files and realized it was a rom hack and an emulator. There's the config thing, right ? What else ?
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#18  December 09, 2015, 04:03:47 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
My main issue with these kind of ports and their low effort is that you're just not getting a better deal out of them for the most part. The price is good (Considering it's a humble bundle) and it's cool to finally be able to own a legal digital release of these games, but they're often worse than their emulated counterparts (Even worse when you're actually buying emulated games instead of native ports). The emulator they're bound to don't have all the cool tools your usual emulator has and you end up paying for a worse experience than the free (Pirated) variant offers

I dont think you are ever getting a port with all the tools and options a pirated version offers. Imo the best option would be a port with their own net play and etc, but barring that, this doesnt seem like such a bad option for having those legally.

And the whole point here is legally, in games this old, because we all can get them for free pirated somewhere. So its not like thats a huge par tin the decision to get them legally.
Heck technically you can buy them legally just so you can legally play them in other platforms using the pirated copy.
#19  December 09, 2015, 04:19:02 pm
    • USA
The emulator they're bound to don't have all the cool tools your usual emulator has and you end up paying for a worse experience than the free (Pirated) variant offers
Well you never expect to have those tools when you buy the actual game and play it normally, not on an emulator, so... The only legit question is, is there a notable difference between this and what a legit port would be if you hadn't dug through the files and realized it was a rom hack and an emulator. There's the config thing, right ? What else ?

A legit high effort port would have online for starters :D but I'm mostly interested in video and sound options. You know, be able to use the filters emulators like winkawaks allows me to, and decide the bitrate of the sound output and whatnot. I don't think the debug tools should be there but the current emulator these games are using are subpar at best. They run the game and that's it.

I just tested KOF 00 and Jesus Christ, the emulator is as barebones as it can be:

* Video options? Windowed and fullscreen, no resolution options, no filtering options, NOTHING.

* Audio? General volume slider and give thanks that exists.

* Keyboard and joystick configuration? What? No? It only displays the keys but it wont allow you to rebind them at all?

* Savestating options are also super barebones. Only one save slot and no quick save and quick load keys as far as I can tell.

* And unskippable 10 to 15 seconds splash screens whenever you first launch the emulator.

DotEmu's reputation when it comes to low effort porting is clearly warranted.

Heck technically you can buy them legally just so you can legally play them in other platforms using the pirated copy.

That's the saddest part. DotEmu's releases are offering nothing new at all. At least their Metal Slug releases on steam featured online GGPO-ish netcode, these new ones are too barebones.
Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 04:24:29 pm by -Red-
#20  December 09, 2015, 05:32:04 pm
  • EL FUCKO GRANDE
  • I'm back, nerds
    • Canada
I'm surprised nobody here mentioned that those games are also running under the Universe BIOS.
#21  December 09, 2015, 06:59:23 pm
  • Shit
* Keyboard and joystick configuration? What? No? It only displays the keys but it wont allow you to rebind them at all?

Well, gee, now this specific detail about it feels shitty. I can live without most of the other things, though.

Shit
#22  December 09, 2015, 07:05:53 pm
  • üks kurb olend
    • Finland
They could've at least used the control scheme that's default for SNK fighters nowadays.
conscious dreamers can be treasurer to their own currency
im a conscious dreamer
therefore i can be treasurer to my own currency

i can be the mind controller
#23  December 09, 2015, 08:51:23 pm
  • EL FUCKO GRANDE
  • I'm back, nerds
    • Canada
#24  December 09, 2015, 09:33:58 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
You can't even set the Neo Geo roms to their Home AES versions so no Training Mode or Survival mode or what have you.
There was a sig here. Its gone now (thanks photobucket ya fecks)
#25  December 09, 2015, 09:48:02 pm
  • Shit
I was thinking about buying this bundle, because it seemed like a nice deal, I was hoping for them to have at least the console settings of the games implemented (that's literally in the arcade ROMs, all it takes is changing one setting and you're done). Before, I took this as taking games from an emulator, but now it seems much more lacking than just that. I'm suddenly not interested in buying this so much anymore.

Shit
#26  December 09, 2015, 09:50:50 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
It's still good if you don't have many (any?) of the Steam games. Like the KOF and Metal Slug games. But if you have any don't do it unless you just want to support SNK I guess. I wish I'd donated all my money to them. I already had the KOF and 1 of the Metal Slug games. Guess I'll save my duplicates for gifting in future forum events.
#27  December 09, 2015, 10:30:50 pm
    • USA
You can't even set the Neo Geo roms to their Home AES versions so no Training Mode or Survival mode or what have you.

Ah right! I was going to add that to my list but forgot about that. You can't even change your region so there's no way to play different versions of the ROMs (Like Asian or USA versions of KOF 2000 for example).