SF3 M.Bison (Read 462582 times)

Started by inktrebuchet, February 22, 2017, 08:03:32 pm
Share this topic:
Re: SF3 M.Bison
#21  February 24, 2017, 05:47:40 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
I am speaking of Hitmon.

Graphicus, the draft matches. The aspect ratio being stretched width wise does make it seem a little off.
Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 05:55:05 pm by ink
#22  February 25, 2017, 12:28:56 am
Man, I haven't been on these forums in YEARS and to immediately find something so well done and inspiring is a treat. 

As for motivation, I know exactly what you mean.  I have a personal sprite project which involves a lot of up-resing and reanimation of existing characters, and my biggest sticking point was that I kinda when around and around trying to make things look "right" but without real context.  I decided to find the characters I needed, pre-made by the mugen community, so that I could just replace rough sprites as I go to check motion and feel.  It's made a TON of difference in how rewarding the process is when you can quickly import a newly roughed in animation and actually play around with it.

I realize this advice is more about creative motivation rather then justification for a project that doesn't really make you money, but sometimes you gotta just make room for that passion somehow.  I've got a full time game art job, I do DOTA mods stuff on the side, and I STILL try and get my sprite stuff in anywhere I can.

Anyway, looking great man, I'm gonna spend some time digging through your process this weekend to see if there's anything I can incorporate into my own.  Keep it up!
#23  February 25, 2017, 06:25:12 am
  • Some day I'll finish this thing...
    • Argentina
Graphicus, the draft matches. The aspect ratio being stretched width wise does make it seem a little off.

I stand corrected. I guess it WAS just an optical illusion after all  :mwhy:
#24  February 26, 2017, 07:48:44 am
  • Tickets ONLY! NEXT!!!
    • USA
I'm a little late to the party, but y'know.

So, I really like the Bison! Really, I do. Just... I have a few nitpicks that I'd make (which others have already covered previously), which isn't to say that I think it's bad. It's just not as SF3-y as it could be.

In regards to the (usually thick) outlines used on the shotos, it's not really exclusive to them. Literally everyone in the game uses a considerable amount of outlining, and only very specific characters (like Elena, who looks like a 3D model) have broken/anti-aliased outlines. I'd say, overall, it just makes it more obvious that Bison is a sprited conversion of a 3D model, instead of looking like a cartoon like the other SF characters do on SF3.
I do remember your Strider, and with him, you definitely followed those outlining principles a lot more closely, so, maybe you could look back to him and some more of your other work for some inspiration?

In the meantime, check out this rogues gallery of the SF3 sprites and check out all the outlines! I really do hope it helps you.
Have you tried "Season 2" Kitty yet?

http://mugenguild.com/forum/senri-project.421
#25  February 26, 2017, 07:27:09 pm
    • USA
Hey man, it great to see you back around! I was really impressed by the work I saw from you in the past.

Thanks for your post. I think once I touch up the sprites that heavy outline look will be more apparent.

I wanted to ask everyone's opinion since this is NOT a straight up SF4 conversion. Did you guys have any unique animations you wanted to see pop up in this Bison? I know I'm going to do at least a few inspired by SF EX and SFII The Animated Movie.

#26  February 26, 2017, 07:56:07 pm
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
^Great to hear, I'm ready for that Psycho Cannon super  :beamgoi:
Really loving the nice line work and smooth animations, Ink.
#27  February 26, 2017, 08:07:04 pm
  • Raging Fist
A Psycho Cannon Super Art eh? That can give a good excuse to use his Tomomichi Nishimura voice then!
#28  February 26, 2017, 08:19:17 pm
  • Getting better, still a long way to go
    • UK
Love this! But, have a few suggestions

A more condensed pallete, as the one displayed is a bit gratuitous. I ended up having to delete like 60 colors that were either unnecessary or served similar purposes to pre existing colors. Its on thing to go for detail, its another to go a bit overboard. I would also suggest thinning out his torso a bit, as its a bit too beefy, even for SF3. Hes bigger than friggin Dudely XD
Otherwise i am intrigued, keep it up man
#29  February 26, 2017, 08:24:51 pm
  • Raging Fist
well I can tell why this Bison is beefy, mainly because the body is mainly based on a hybrid of SFA/SFIV.
also that would make a good palette reference, but sadly I noticed for one shade of color, there's like different hues of it mixed in, some slightly darker, some slightly lighter. Idk if indexing the color scheme would make this better or not, considering that pic might be in jpeg quality.
Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 08:40:06 pm by Flowrellik
#30  February 26, 2017, 08:40:26 pm
    • USA
I have his colors set up this way purposefully, I will not be reducing them. This M.Bison will be a beefy boss, like he is in the majority of his appearances.

Gotta have it! and thank you.

I think I'll put together some optional effects for his legs during some other moves, like he has in SF EX. Decisions on Knee Press Nightmare though...

Electric Arc (lightning fingers) from SF The Movie? lol

#31  February 26, 2017, 08:52:07 pm
  • Raging Fist
well, it's safe to say Ol'Dictator here really has a variable moveset over the years. Feel free to experiment on all of them!
#32  February 27, 2017, 03:59:38 am
  • Bringing her back
    • USA
    • hiivolt-07.deviantart.com/
If you simplify the palette it will make the sprites look less like 3rd Strike. I notice people saying "simplified 3S shading" all the time and I don't understand the sentiment. That's not how the game worked. There should be a lot of detail.

Aside from making the standard colors of his clothes less contrasty and maybe making the armor look more metallic, I wouldn't change much right now.
Spriting is hard.
#33  February 27, 2017, 04:08:27 am
  • Tickets ONLY! NEXT!!!
    • USA
I agree with Diepod, especially considering how CPS3 hardware worked. Each sprite had a choice between 64 or 256 colors, with Capcom deciding on a character-by-character basis how many to use within those choices. That being said, especially considering how they wanted to convey a cool art style by any means necessary, it doesn't hurt to overindulge with the palette for Bison. Just giving the armor a metallic look and changing the contrast to match, say, Ken's would help a lot.

As for the beefiness, Bison is a chunky dude. I don't see anything wrong with his proportions, even if he's a bit tall this time around. But remember, he's got a buncha different bodies, so maybe he just wanted to see what it was like to be like 6'3. XD
Have you tried "Season 2" Kitty yet?

http://mugenguild.com/forum/senri-project.421
#34  February 27, 2017, 09:06:11 am
    • UK
Im not simplifying the pallete, idk where ya got that idea from. I simply toned down his colors to match actual SF3 sprites. If anything i made it MORE similar to SF3. I agree characters had different amount of colors on a character by character basis, but they also didn't have over 16 colors for tiny details. Respect ya hugely Diepod, but i simply can't agree. This Bison has more colors than any SF3 character ever by miles, i simply dont see the reason to keep over 60 colors that either are almost duplicates or add nothing that couldn't be defined with a set pallete
PS there are so many reds in mine btw because i thought maybe a shine similar to how Ibukis clothes are would be cool
#35  February 27, 2017, 06:34:14 pm
  • Bringing her back
    • USA
    • hiivolt-07.deviantart.com/
I got that from being on the forum a long time Yoshin. The extra colors he had didn't hurt the character, not all the cast of 3s have the same amount of colors. The possible loss in detail is what I'm concerned about, it's not the amount of colors its what the selected colors do. Upon second look the changes you suggested are fair. I've already suggested using a character other than Ibuki as a guide on shading cloth in the first place.

My thoughts are he might be keeping those extra colors in case some drastic changes are made when he does his second pass on the sprites
Spriting is hard.
#36  February 27, 2017, 06:43:59 pm
    • UK
Thank you for the second look, i do agree. SF3 has some damn beautiful art, and by all means i agree in keeping up that tradition. I merely suggested a pallete more akin to pre existing SF3 characters that can still retain all the detail Ink wants while still looking legit and managable. Making a pallete for that thing keeps me awake at night lol
#37  February 28, 2017, 05:07:00 am
  • ~~~ヾ(^∇^)
    • Argentina
    • darkgirl.mugenimperiolatino.com
Oh my eyes... what a beautiful work! Those smooth animations looks impressive, Ink. I love this!
#38  February 28, 2017, 12:38:43 pm
hlw ink. did you finish sf3 strider and cvs q as well?
#39  February 28, 2017, 06:58:14 pm
    • USA
I think he discontinued the SFIII Strider project.

If you're still asking for specific animations, I'd really like to see his EX Head Stomp from SFV make it in. He does the move like normal, but then it knocks down on hit and he bounces off the opponent and does a second one while they're still floored.
#40  April 11, 2017, 03:38:01 am
    • USA
Time for me to get back on this! I'm going to try and at least get the sketches for his get hits animation together these next couple days. They are definitely my least favorite things to make, better to get them out of the way now.