YesNoOk

Get rid of black pixels around character's sprite? (Read 376 times)

Started by DNZRX768, April 28, 2019, 08:35:05 pm
Share this topic:
Get rid of black pixels around character's sprite?
#1  April 28, 2019, 08:35:05 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
I am starting to work on a few projects now and I am getting the sprites worked out to be imported into Fighters Factory. However I am running into problems with unwanted black (or other unwanted color) pixels outlining the character. For example, here is a sprite for Lion from Kemono Friends, which is one of the projects I am working on:

Notice the black background? When I try to delete it to figure out what the sprite looks like when put into MUGEN once indexed, I get this:

There is a small black outline with all of the stray almost-but-not-quite-so-black pixels. I worried that it would look quite ugly in my character, especially if the character is scaled larger due to whatever the circumstance is. Does anyone know of a technique in GIMP or in fighters factory that can rectify the problem easily? I have over 200 of these sprites on Lion alone to potentially fix so manual fixing would take a painfully long time, especially if I have to do it for other projects too.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
Re: Get rid of black pixels around character's sprite?
#2  April 29, 2019, 11:05:31 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
That looks like an antialias effect. Either from the rips or something you're doing. Are those sprites accurately aligned? There are things you can sorta do with the paint bucket to make the outline less of an outline.

If those colours are unique paletting and repaletting cn remove them as well. If they're shared though you're looking at manual work.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#3  April 29, 2019, 11:22:24 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
vVv Wheat Stage Released vVv
#4  April 29, 2019, 04:22:39 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
Another thing you can do is in Photoshop.... select the black background with magic wand, tolerence of 0.  Use the function Select > Modify > Expand by 1px.  Now Refine the selection (Ctrl+Alt+R) and make the Contrast 100%, to make sure all anti-aliasing is eliminated.

Here is an example of the result.  You'll just have to fix a few pixels for thin areas like the tip of the hair.

This can be automated using Photoshops Actions feature.

#5  May 01, 2019, 03:25:53 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
A couple of good solutions here, but it seems that fully rectifying the situation with all of these sprites will take a while, so the Lion character would needed to be shelved until I get all of those sprites fixed up, and possibly a few other characters whose sprites suffer the same problem.

Thanks for your help, either way.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!