YesNoOk

lets have a discussion about P.o.t.S. Style  (Read 22130 times)

Started by Memo, August 24, 2016, 06:16:07 am
Share this topic:
lets have a discussion about P.o.t.S. Style
#1  August 24, 2016, 06:16:07 am
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafío.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Everytime pots style is mentioned in a topic I feel like peeps get in and start debating and arguing over shit.
First thing that bothers people is just the words "pots style" I consider anything that shares the gameplay mechanics
He put together in a char as "pots style" since it includes all the mechanics he has in HIS what's his name? Oh pots! Characters.
Alot of you beg to differ and say oh that's not pots style, well why isn't it? I know he went the extra mile for accuracy and
What not but lets be realistic we are not all as savy as him nor have all the resources he had or maybe dont know how to use
Them. Come in and share you opinions about the gameplay style pots created get it off your chest and lets end these constant
Arguments and shit, if your soft and your feelings get broke easy this isn't the topic for you just come on in
And get that shit off your chest! Let us know what you like, what dont you like, why you feel like you do let all out!
Re: lets have a discussion about P.o.t.S. Style
#2  August 24, 2016, 06:23:05 am
    • Philippines
I'd rather use the PotS originals. Perhaps it would also be nice if they stop sticking the "PotS style" label on their "works".
#3  August 24, 2016, 06:25:17 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
I'd rather use the PotS originals. Perhaps it would also be nice if they stop sticking the "PotS style" label on their "works".

ok I understand where you coming from but why not use the lable "pots style"? What do you prefer it
Be called If its a char thats a clone from his gameplay system?
#4  August 24, 2016, 06:25:36 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
Everytime I see the words "pots style" I keep thinking "gameplay that varies on the amount of substance inhaled by its creator".
#5  August 24, 2016, 06:28:00 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Everytime I see the words "pots style" I keep thinking "gameplay that varies on the amount of substance inhaled by its creator".

Also can you explain a little more, are sone creators just fucking up certain mechanics from that style or is it the accuracy in chars not matching up to pots standard?
#6  August 24, 2016, 06:29:56 am
    • USA
Let me be the first to say no way he is 100% accurate save that for someone like JZ. He literally just "did it first" that's all it is. End of topic. It's kinda like people just bandwagon whatever they "believe" to be some sort of legacy. I didn't even know of the guy nor do I generally care about him or anyone else for that matter. They just happened to learn about it before I did. Take cvs2 slap some High res on it and you got yourself a label. Dude didn't create cvs2 nor any of its mechanics which I swear they believe he did. It'll never end. Too much entitlement. It's no longer about what's fun as time as pasted we've seen that. You aren't limiting yourself by doing something you want to do just because someone else has something to say about it. Don't become like those that do it because they feel it's popular, to reiterate what I had said before regardless of whatever you wanna call it making a mugen character takes time & people forget all about that as well as the actual "fun" that should come along with it.
#7  August 24, 2016, 06:34:17 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Let me be the first to say no way he is 100% accurate save that for someone like JZ. He literally just "did it first" that's all it is. End of topic. It's kinda like people just bandwagon whatever they "believe" to be some sort of legacy. I didn't even know of the guy nor do I generally care about him or anyone else for that matter. They just happened to learn about it before I did. Take cvs2 slap some High res on it and you got yourself a label. Dude didn't create cvs2 nor any of its mechanics which I swear they believe he did. It'll never end. Too much entitlement. It's no longer about what's fun as time as pasted we've seen that. You aren't limiting yourself by doing something you want to do just because someone else has something to say about it. Don't become like those that do it because they feel it's popular, to reiterate what I had said before regardless of whatever you wanna call it making a mugen character takes time & people forget all about that as well as the actual "fun" that should come along with it.

you got a point, he didnt create any of those mechanics but he brought them in together sort of like a groove system or something that  was unique to his chars at the time.
#8  August 24, 2016, 06:35:01 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
This is the best comparison I can come up with.

Think of how every unsigned or indie artists puts their influences on their website or their social media page.  That's basically what that term means.  Calling your characters with a bunch of different CVS groove mechanics in one system the style of POTS is pretty much the same thing as saying that your somewhat experimental progressive rock band with psychadaelic themes is inspired by Pink Floyd.  There's nothing really wrong with that, it just means that right now we're in the era of the early 90s where every band was trying to be Pixies.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#9  August 24, 2016, 06:40:53 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
This is the best comparison I can come up with.

Think of how every unsigned or indie artists puts their influences on their website or their social media page.  That's basically what that term means.  Calling your characters with a bunch of different CVS groove mechanics in one system the style of POTS is pretty much the same thing as saying that your somewhat experimental progressive rock band with psychadaelic themes is inspired by Pink Floyd.  There's nothing really wrong with that, it just means that right now we're in the era of the early 90s where every band was trying to be Pixies.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

You have a very good point there too, shit I only released 1 char in that "groove system" lol and I felt at the time like I got alot of attention for it. Nothing wrong with it but I feel you on your opinion I sometimes get tired of something when its really popular sometimes its annoying. Especially when some members start requesting you make this char and that char in pots style, I only did it because I find his chars fun to play with and I wanted to try something new, kinda push myself see how good I can do it myself.

XSZ

#10  August 24, 2016, 06:52:26 am
    • USA
    • www.youtube.com/user/XSZ105
oh crap pots is PotS lol!  I like the bonus games, I think. But the character play style aren't like the "ultimate" style for mugen. Who wants to see every character play the same way as every other character...
#11  August 24, 2016, 06:58:07 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
oh crap pots is PotS lol!  I like the bonus games, I think. But the character play style aren't like the "ultimate" style for mugen. Who wants to see every character play the same way as every other character...

Well if you want to have a balanced mugen, balanced as is all chars have the same mechanics then yes. Some people build a mugen to fight others and its not fair if my char is lacking a zero counter or a power charge like yours might have, shit my char maybe a mvc style one that wouldn't be a far fight would it? But then again theres those that like to mash different chars and gameplay systems together and have crazy fights that's the beauty of mugen your free to play how you want.
#12  August 24, 2016, 07:02:57 am
  • Objection! Sustained!
    • Russia
    • mitia.pogorelov1@yandex.ru

Good point. But having a character made in P.o.T.S. doesn't meant there is no other ways to create him anyway, right?
The problem is that really- P.o.T.S. styled characters must have simular system. So, they MUST to play simular way. Like game adaptation characters.
#13  August 24, 2016, 07:04:25 am
Let call it....P-Groove for now on......
#14  August 24, 2016, 07:04:59 am
    • USA
You mean "EX-Groove"? He didn't bring those together.. It was already a thing.. Also most people aside from those such as myself who are just huge fans of the series itself do it for the "balance" aka those who enjoy an experience similar to that of playing an actual fighter be that as it may.. Mugen. It's true there are a few who do it for attention and it clearly shows right? Than there are those regardless of your personal perception actually just are into the fighting mechanics. I already said man. There are those that do it for fun to actually play & use, those that are hype about their coding skills, and those that do it because they feel as though that's what people like.
#15  August 24, 2016, 07:05:44 am
  • Objection! Sustained!
    • Russia
    • mitia.pogorelov1@yandex.ru
#16  August 24, 2016, 07:07:14 am
Damn your right.......lol
#17  August 24, 2016, 07:09:01 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com

Good point. But having a character made in P.o.T.S. doesn't meant there is no other ways to create him anyway, right?
The problem is that really- P.o.T.S. styled characters must have simular system. So, they MUST to play simular way. Like game adaptation characters.

I like to find chars in similar gameplay styles just because i like that balance. Pots style isn't all thats out there but its the majority so of your like me you probably like all chars in you mugen the in the same groove...ima start calling it pots groove for now on because that's all it is. Its not the s groove r the c groove from cvs2 its pots groove lol
#18  August 24, 2016, 07:17:07 am
    • USA
How about this... What did "he" do that was not an already preexisting mechanic? What did he do besides mugenize it? If he even did that 100% solo. Pretty sure he had help from many others. If you guys really knew your stuff you'd know the amount of guess work that was thrown in there tsk tsk.
#19  August 24, 2016, 07:18:45 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
You mean "EX-Groove"? He didn't bring those together.. It was already a thing.. Also most people aside from those such as myself who are just huge fans of the series itself do it for the "balance" aka those who enjoy an experience similar to that of playing an actual fighter be that as it may.. Mugen. It's true there are a few who do it for attention and it clearly shows right? Than there are those regardless of your personal perception actually just are into the fighting mechanics. I already said man. There are those that do it for fun to actually play & use, those that are hype about their coding skills, and those that do it because they feel as though that's what people like.

You will never be able to have true complete balance unless the code is 100% consistent between all characters and the same amount of care is taken for each one.  Considering just how big the number of people making these characters is, this seems like a bit of a pipe dream.

How about this... What did "he" do that was not an already preexisting mechanic? What did he do besides mugenize it? If he even did that 100% solo. Pretty sure he had help from many others. If you guys really knew your stuff you'd know the amount of guess work that was thrown in there tsk tsk.

There is very little actual guess work in his characters.  Everything he put into his work was something directly from an existing game in appearance, function and implimentation. 
#20  August 24, 2016, 07:21:51 am

For me a POTS style char means

1. No Modes but have all moves
2. Have moves across all generations.
3. fair game play