YesNoOk

Synn 1.02c from D&D: SoM (+ other characters patched) (Read 36407 times)

Started by Doggiedoo, December 29, 2008, 11:55:06 am
Share this topic:
Synn 1.02c from D&D: SoM (+ other characters patched)
#1  December 29, 2008, 11:55:06 am
Download link at SendSpace
1.02c Patch at SendSpace

VERSION HISTORY:

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

An experiment with one of those giant boss types; she's not designed to be especially accurate (mainly because she's from a beat 'em up), but those who've played Shadow over Mystara will know roughly what to expect. She has a couple of new tricks to look out for, as well.

She needs to be fought on her own stage to function properly. Her stage w/ music is included in the archive, inside her directory. The stage can be used alone, but it has no camera vertical movement.

Most of her attacks (except for her eye shots and falling rocks) are unblockable, but all are avoidable once their pattern is recognised. Difficulty can be adjusted either by tweaking her aggression setting in the config.txt file, or the usual setting of Life, Attack and Defence values in synn.cns.

No hitsparks yet, unless they're wanted; most the sparks from her source game are too small/too simple for Mugen.

Plus a patch for all Warzard chars at Sendspace: .:PATCH:.

Patch readme and changelogs:

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Next WIP will be Kongou. I haven't heard anything from Kung_Fu_Man regarding his Kongou, so I'm assuming he's moved on to something else. It may take a couple of months, though... next year starting mid-January could leave very little time for Mugen. *crosses fingers*
Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 11:08:08 am by Doggiedoo
Re: Synn from D&D: SoM (+ other characters Patched)
#2  December 29, 2008, 12:18:38 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Just tested him, and he works magnificently. I didn't come across any bugs for now.

It's like the period for big bosses nowadays. It's great. :)
Thanks a lot.
#3  December 29, 2008, 05:37:20 pm
  • Kikou Shou
THX Doggiedoo I love this boss.  I cant find anything wrong with it.  However, I would recommend that you change the biting somehow.  It takes really low damage and it looks like she is nibbling instead of biting, doesn't really look threating IMO.  Good work though!
#4  December 29, 2008, 06:12:31 pm
  • Staying Alive
    • Panama
ohhhh looks amazing good work man in this boss char I like it no bugs pretty clean btw this month is like boss chars month or something  :P
Chilling
#5  December 30, 2008, 02:26:42 am
Thankyee... will consider spicing up the chomp attack. It's difficult to make her chew on the victim's whole body (like she did in her source game) without looking strange for fat/tall characters, but see if something else can be improvised.
#6  December 30, 2008, 02:39:41 am
  • I'll do it myself.
    • France
    • Skype - djoulianne
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/hosted.html
well doggiedoo this an awesome release... played a little with her and havent found a bug yet...ill keep playing...
ive always been a D&D fan so this is like a christmas gift for me :)
hit sparks arent necessary but it sure looks wierd as im pretty much used to see them usually in mugen
#7  December 30, 2008, 04:32:32 am
I honestly can't tell you how much I hoped that someone might take a crack at making this character, or at least one of the Red Dragons from D&D for Mugen. Just wanted to thank you for doing this. Synn will definitely be a keeper in my roster. Keep up the awesome work.   :)
#8  December 30, 2008, 05:05:49 am
  • Cthulhu fhtagn !
I honestly can't tell you how much I hoped that someone might take a crack at making this character. Just wanted to thank you for doing this. Synn will definitely be a keeper in my roster. Keep up the awesome work.
I've always been a D&D fan so this is like a christmas gift for me.

Just wanted to echo these sentiments...your work is greatly appreciated, thank you for sharing it with us.
#9  December 30, 2008, 11:52:05 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
I think she has too much HP for a boss that gives you such a hard time to hit (air attacks only + dealing with all the projectiles), but man this is excellent, great job.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#10  December 31, 2008, 08:18:33 am
Wow, thanks! Yeah, I assumed players would pick characters with strong ground/air-to-air, but overcompensated. :P Anyway, one can always reduce her Defence if it's too high for their roster. Might change her default life to about 1500-1800 if there's an update.
Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 08:30:52 am by Doggiedoo
#11  December 31, 2008, 08:41:40 am
  • Haz lo que te gusta para que te guste lo que haces
    • Mexico
    • www.omegapsycho.webs.com
hoooo.... my godness I LOVE IT...  :iloveyou:
this is a revolution of chars for mugen... whos next?...  :suttrox:
#12  December 31, 2008, 09:58:05 am
At the moment I'm starting early work on Kongou from Warzard/Red Earth; something that I said I'd do, but delayed for the better part of a year. Better late than never. :ninja:

Your creations are really fun too! All that classic platforming juiciness in Mugen! :D
Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 10:02:02 am by Doggiedoo
#13  December 31, 2008, 10:28:25 am
  • this be some serious mugen shit
omg this boss is so epic I mean seriously I love her, when her hp is like 1/3 of it she starts her death move which really tells me to get the hell out of there, but seriously splendid job doggiedoo :sugoi:
Re: Synn 1.00b from D&D: SoM (+ other characters Patched)
#14  December 31, 2008, 01:51:18 pm
Small update; health/damage adjustment and cosmetic fixes. Patch at the top of the thread for the bandwidth-conscious.

Glad to hear ppl are enjoying her. :)

EDIT: Bleh, patch re-uploaded with one more (tiny) cosmetic fix. Re-download at your discretion.
Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 03:56:22 pm by Doggiedoo
#15  January 01, 2009, 03:54:30 am
omg this boss is so epic I mean seriously I love her, when her hp is like 1/3 of it she starts her death move which really tells me to get the hell out of there, but seriously splendid job doggiedoo :sugoi:

it was so easy in d&d:som..... evem the other red dragon was easier. With the fighter, alone... well there are always tricks.... but....

there was done a good d´raven conversion, why not a good one crassus or jarred???. they would kick ass as leo have done.

we need a crassus, an accurate crassus, to make a difference on mugen.
#16  January 01, 2009, 05:13:12 am
  • Ya me dio cosa...
    • Mexico
Very nice! good char and stage
#17  January 01, 2009, 05:38:17 am
  • Candy Princess
    • www.youtube.com/user/LaMissFa1ry
Really amazing! I never thought anyone would make a boss like this O_O (Much nicer than my old WIP, too!)

A bit of feedback,

1- Give a option to make it so she'll use her fire breath as a normal special throughout the match instead of only once when at low health.
2- Her side fire breath sometimes appears on the opposite side of the stage (not corner) thus making the move have zero chance to hit.
3- Her side fire breath doesn't seem to blow you back like it should. I'd have this move appear at the corner nearest where you're at when she leaves to prevent it from having no chance of hitting you. (You might need to have her come out of the corner instead of the side of the stage, too)

Very amazing overall. Did you consider making the Red Dragon (Flamestrike was his name, I think?) before kongou? You'd have a perfect template for him with Synn since they're basically the same boss.
#18  January 01, 2009, 03:49:12 pm
Deoxyan:

I'm a bit worried that Crassus may have limited gameplay if converted; compared to D'Raven's spells, Crassus improved attacks may not be enough to make him a fun character in a 2d fighting environment, at least not without a lot of custom additions and modifications. I'll think about it, but he'll probably wait until after Kongou is done if I do attempt him.

Plus, I'll need to contact Ihoo to use D'Raven's item system, for consistency's sake. And my Japanese begins with 'konnichiwa' and ends at 'hadouken'. ;P

la;MISS~FairY-!:

Hi, welcome back!

1- Can do. Would her fire breaths work better as super attacks, given their execution time?

2-3- Sticking to the corner of the screen may have to be implemented as an option, as well: at the moment, she comes out of the ends of the stage (w/ free camera movement to the other side) to allow extremely large characters a chance to escape; if they're too large to hide next to her, they may still try and jump backwards away from the flame. Changing this may make her impossible to defeat with such characters if she uses this attack. Having said that, not even the likes of Ravange and Juggernaught are that wide, so it's probably an unnecessary measure. Will increase the horizontal knockback as well.

For Flamestrike, not sure how many would be interested in what is essentialy a toned-down version of Synn... in hindsight, it might've been better for me to work on him first and then Synn as an 'upgrade'. It can certainly be done, if there's demand, but otherwise Kongou gets priority by virtue of being an overdue promise.
Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 03:52:37 pm by Doggiedoo
#19  January 01, 2009, 06:53:20 pm
  • Candy Princess
    • www.youtube.com/user/LaMissFa1ry
la;MISS~FairY-!:

Hi, welcome back!

1- Can do. Would her fire breaths work better as super attacks, given their execution time?

2-3- Sticking to the corner of the screen may have to be implemented as an option, as well: at the moment, she comes out of the ends of the stage (w/ free camera movement to the other side) to allow extremely large characters a chance to escape; if they're too large to hide next to her, they may still try and jump backwards away from the flame. Changing this may make her impossible to defeat with such characters if she uses this attack. Having said that, not even the likes of Ravange and Juggernaught are that wide, so it's probably an unnecessary measure. Will increase the horizontal knockback as well.

For Flamestrike, not sure how many would be interested in what is essentialy a toned-down version of Synn... in hindsight, it might've been better for me to work on him first and then Synn as an 'upgrade'. It can certainly be done, if there's demand, but otherwise Kongou gets priority by virtue of being an overdue promise.
:D Thanks! Still need to test your Leo more. I was loving what I got to use of him. :P

1- I don't think so. Honestly her fire isn't really a "dangerous" Move by itself. Since it's so obvious and easy to avoid (the worst one was her side version without a doubt, which is why I'd make the pull more like d&d was). I'd make it so it's just a normal special to generally raise that "oh snap" Kind of feeling when fighting her.
If you want you could give the option to make them a special or a super, though. It would probably be easy?

2- -nod- That would probably fix it.

Honestly Flamestrike might be overkill, might not. In some ways Synn is probably better since you can get away with giving her magical based attacks and her sprites had a bit more variation. (Mainly the third eye movements, which you made good usage of) I think Flamestrike would be a nice thing, though.
Personally I would much rather see you make Nagpa. (Not sure how well he'd turn out, though. Given the way you fought him) Even more so than Kongou I think >.>"

I did have two ideas for custom moves. Synn holds her hand out and sends a blast of lightning which causes a flash of electricity along the floor, and has to be jumped or it does pretty good damage and causes you to become dizzy. Think Nevan's lightning in DMC3.
The other would be her flying into the background and her face appear like for her full screen fire. But instead of using her fire maybe having her roar and shake the landing your on, and causing rocks/meteors whatever to fall in the corners where you'd normally evade her full screen fire. This would really make the fire alot more dangerous, IMO. Since you'd have to be very quick to react to avoid the fake or true version and not know it was coming ages before it actually happened like now. (Which isn't your fault, since unfortunately that mode though extremely visually pleasing was painfully easy to avoid due to being so obvious)
Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 07:25:10 pm by la;MISS~FairY-!
#20  January 02, 2009, 03:30:03 am
Anyone who updated using the patch might want to redownload it; I forgot to include the .air file. Only effects the Fire Bolt. I need to stop multitasking while updating stuff. :(

Will work on those extra moves; the lightning one may take some time to find appropriate sprites for, but the avalanche-roar should be simple.
Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 03:42:45 am by Doggiedoo