YesNoOk

Final Fantasy MegaThread (Read 414696 times)

Started by DatKofGuy, December 20, 2012, 07:06:40 am
Share this topic:
Re: Final Fantasy MegaThread
#601  February 16, 2017, 12:12:55 pm
  • Busy, busy, busy
    • www.trinitymugen.net/forum/index.php
The steam version of ffIX has some enhancements, but they kill the experience for me (like max level, large amounts of gil, etc). FFX on steam is the best version since it has speed up and auto-battle to speed up the process. 5 and 6 mobile are kind of meh. Im told 5 is a bad port. I have 6 and 7 on my phone and occasionally lose my save on 6

-
http://www.Trinitymugen.net/Hosted/CFJ2/
-
thanks again Vans/Jesuszilla!
#602  February 19, 2017, 12:51:18 am
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
#603  February 19, 2017, 01:18:30 am
    • USA
#604  February 19, 2017, 02:50:15 am
http://www.siliconera.com/2017/02/18/final-fantasy-vii-remake-gets-first-gameplay-image-including-first-boss-fight/
Seems to be very much a reskinned FFXV
The combat system still has the classic ATB and the main commands, according to the article. They also mentioned that they are very much aware that a lot of people want the classic command style to remain, so it shouldn't stray too far away from it - it's just that they can move around, presumably in real time. And since you can move around, it looks like it's a lot more interactive - like hiding behind crates and destroying background elements.
Moving around in real time and making actions in ATB reminds me a lot more of the old Grandia 2 style, which was really nice (from what I remember).
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 02:54:03 am by Byakko

SNT

#605  February 20, 2017, 11:36:03 am
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
#606  February 20, 2017, 07:00:11 pm
    • Peru
The combat system still has the classic ATB and the main commands, according to the article. They also mentioned that they are very much aware that a lot of people want the classic command style to remain, so it shouldn't stray too far away from it - it's just that they can move around, presumably in real time. And since you can move around, it looks like it's a lot more interactive - like hiding behind crates and destroying background elements.
Moving around in real time and making actions in ATB reminds me a lot more of the old Grandia 2 style, which was really nice (from what I remember).
This sounds a lot like Crysis Core, and that's not a bad thing for me. The combat there seemed like real time, but had turn based structure.

#607  February 20, 2017, 07:25:05 pm
Oh yeah... It was one of my favorite games and I completely forgot about that one, it's completely fallen off the grid :( But Crisis Core had only a single character, I always figured it wouldn't be easy to port to the classic "multiple characters" style.

edit - oh, I've been secretly hoping that it would be incorporated in this remake though, back when they showed the first images and mentioned a revamp of the game system. They did mention that the story of FF7 was made up of several parts (hinting at the different games) and they wanted to take that into account, I've been hoping it meant some of the other stuff from Compilation would get at least a chapter, a mention or something.
Most of the Genesis crap and Dirge of Cerberus can be skipped though.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 11:22:52 pm by Byakko
#608  February 20, 2017, 11:12:41 pm
    • Peru
Don't bring the pitchforks and torches, but I'll be happy with something similar to FFXII too, since you had direct control over three characters, but they could fight on their own if you didn't want to command them.
#609  February 21, 2017, 07:36:04 am
FFXII was the best in the series from a gameplay perspective. I'm buying the remake on launch, and I refused to buy 13 because of how many steps backward it took from 12 before I even knew how bad it was.

Put 200 hours into it on the PS2 and will pretty happily do so again this summer.
#610  February 21, 2017, 09:02:31 am
  • The Goddess Returns
It's honestly the exact opposite for me.
FF12 tried way too hard and basically brought about the good and bad parts of a single player type MMO. The Gambit system, while the best Micro-Manage system, really encourages micromanaging play to the level of making FF13's Auto-Battle jealous.

Not to mention the mess of the License Board system or how about ridiculous the treasure chests and otherwise are. Atleast the Zodiac Age changes alot about the base FF12 gameplay.
http://www.youtube.com/user/busterbladex?feature=mhum

Finally got some vids on here.
Subscribe to me please and who knows, maybe my video walkthroughs will help you one day.......
#611  February 21, 2017, 12:27:07 pm
  • Busy, busy, busy
    • www.trinitymugen.net/forum/index.php
I hated 12. It was my least favorite from a gameplay and story perspective. I think the story should have been told from a different perspective instead of lame ass Vaan. The gameplay was also really meh for me. I did like the gambit system and wish other games would adopt it as an ai customization option.

That being said, my favorite version of the gameplay may have been X-2. It was still turn based, but the characters moved around in battle and their placement determined things like aoe damaging skills and even inflicted damage (back attacks did double damage). If they were to allow you to move the character around, it would have been perfect for me. Sort of like XIII, but without battles being too long and too easy to just spam auto battle.

Biggest issue with XV is the rushed 2nd half story, the battle camera in battle, and the obvious amounts of cut content that will later be used as dlc (how a character disappeared and came back with a scar on his chest, what happened during the leviathan battle that led to a certain character being permanently damaged, etc). I think the game needed at least one to 2 more years to fully develope and we instead got a rushed out, unfinished game

-
http://www.Trinitymugen.net/Hosted/CFJ2/
-
thanks again Vans/Jesuszilla!
#612  February 21, 2017, 04:29:08 pm
I really enjoyed 12's story. While there was a bunch of shit that didn't work--Vaan after the beginning of the game, Penelo, etc--there was a lot that did, and it was tonally so different from the 'band of idiots traipsing around and saving the world with the power of friendship' bullshit that 10 was insanely guilty of that it felt great to me. It was more realistic overall, it had a lot of politics and a lot less herp derp. I loved it. I'm just not going to say it was objectively good.
#613  February 22, 2017, 12:36:55 am
  • The Goddess Returns
I hated 12. It was my least favorite from a gameplay and story perspective. I think the story should have been told from a different perspective instead of lame ass Vaan. The gameplay was also really meh for me. I did like the gambit system and wish other games would adopt it as an ai customization option.

That being said, my favorite version of the gameplay may have been X-2. It was still turn based, but the characters moved around in battle and their placement determined things like aoe damaging skills and even inflicted damage (back attacks did double damage). If they were to allow you to move the character around, it would have been perfect for me. Sort of like XIII, but without battles being too long and too easy to just spam auto battle.

Biggest issue with XV is the rushed 2nd half story, the battle camera in battle, and the obvious amounts of cut content that will later be used as dlc (how a character disappeared and came back with a scar on his chest, what happened during the leviathan battle that led to a certain character being permanently damaged, etc). I think the game needed at least one to 2 more years to fully develope and we instead got a rushed out, unfinished game

I actually have to agree, X-2 has the best combat system in FF, just way too good. And yeah, XV could have been alot better and let's say there was ALOT of things I was disappointed on with XV when I finished Chapter 9. It's not a terrible game, but it could have been alot better.

I really enjoyed 12's story. While there was a bunch of shit that didn't work--Vaan after the beginning of the game, Penelo, etc--there was a lot that did, and it was tonally so different from the 'band of idiots traipsing around and saving the world with the power of friendship' bullshit that 10 was insanely guilty of that it felt great to me. It was more realistic overall, it had a lot of politics and a lot less herp derp. I loved it. I'm just not going to say it was objectively good.

You can say that for alot of RPGs. And to me, Vaan and Penelo seriously do bring down the party in XII for me mainly because they are so pointless.
And even though I like her alot, Fran doesn't really do much either...not to mention she's the worst statistical party member in the game...somehow.
http://www.youtube.com/user/busterbladex?feature=mhum

Finally got some vids on here.
Subscribe to me please and who knows, maybe my video walkthroughs will help you one day.......
#614  February 22, 2017, 07:58:36 am
To me that was part of the appeal. It added to the realism. These people were way out of their depth and getting carried along by events involving more powerful people (in terms of political power).

That's exactly what would happen in real life.
#615  February 22, 2017, 08:25:39 pm
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
To me that was part of the appeal. It added to the realism. These people were way out of their depth and getting carried along by events involving more powerful people (in terms of political power).

That's exactly what would happen in real life.
While I agree with the realism portion, games shouldn't be designed to drag characters along that don't serve a purpose of some sort. Even "weak" characters should show some sort of character development so that you have a connection to them. When a game becomes to "real" even in terms of characters, that's poor design.

Having said that, I really enjoyed XII. I'm not saying that the story or characters in the game were bad, but my statement was a general one in regards to all games.
If you require my assistance, please feel free to contact me on Discord: 2DMirage#5299
Commissions/Requests are closed. Please do not ask.
#616  February 22, 2017, 08:28:24 pm
    • Peru
Anyone still playing FFXV? I haven't finished it yet, and I haven't found exploits for EXP or AP, so the new timed hunt is a good thing for me: IIRC I got around 100K exp and 300AP for beating 100 cactuars. They wre a pain in the ass, but the mission can be replayed and I can level up faster with it.
#617  February 22, 2017, 08:40:20 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
I pretty much stopped after I heard about the patch, because I think I'm at the point in the story where that would be relevant to me

Hasn't been easy avoiding spoilers
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#618  February 22, 2017, 10:21:12 pm
    • Peru
Are you talking about chapter 13? I don't know if they fixed it, and I have no idea what a fix for it means, I'm just hoarding side quests right now....
#619  February 22, 2017, 10:38:51 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
New cutscenes or something to flesh out what is apparently a complete left turn

By necessity I don't know the specifics
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear