YesNoOk

Random Topic V9 (Read 1647965 times)

Started by c001357, May 25, 2014, 07:28:05 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Random Topic V9
#5661  August 19, 2015, 06:11:58 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
its coincidental that you just made this post because I jsut recently started enjoying this differnet media which is webnovels; since a few months ago I wanted to talk about light novels (as in the media, nto specific titles), but then a manga that only had 8 chapters out caught my eye and I was unable to keep on reading as that's all that existed in manga form , then I learned it was originally a webnovel (which is almost like a light novel, except that is being published in the web and it has even less art than a LN), I got started with that one and really enjoyed it. then I learned that one anime that I am enjoying this season (GATE) is also based on a webnovel so I gave a try to anotehr wbenovel (jobless reincarnation) and found out that the media can be pretty enjoyable.

so after yoru break you might want to take an aproach similar to a web/ligh novel, which to put it simply it's just a bunch of prose covering the setting/description and dialgos and maybe some important scenes drawn in there for more visula impact (light novels do a decent job with that, even shield hero had one to explain raph's design)
#5662  August 19, 2015, 06:21:16 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I honestly don't know if I'd be articulate enough to write a novel in such a manner. Even if it needed less than a true novel due to using some imagery. But I'll keep it in mind and look at a few to see how elaborate they may be written and formatted.
#5663  August 19, 2015, 06:26:24 am
  • TK's Random Mugen Battle Series Guy!
  • I Think That Dirty Thoughts Are Very Bad!
    • USA
    • MrGohma99@gmail.com
    • Skype - TK8305
    • www.youtube.com/topkirby8305
So does anyone here play Smash Wii U at all?  Just curious!

Currently LPing: Kirby Mass Attack (NDS) / LOZ:
 Eddy's 1st Quest Redone (ZC)

Next LPs: Higurashi (Steam) / LOZ:  Realm of Courage (ZC)
#5664  August 19, 2015, 06:34:36 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
#5665  August 19, 2015, 07:31:06 am
  • all is love in fair and war
So I'm going to stop making my comic The Devon Legacy. I'm always split between which hobbies I want to do. MUGEN and my comic. My comic is my bigger passion. But it's just not sustainable as a hobby that I can find enjoyment now that I have a family and less time.

When I was single and worked on it that's pretty much all I did. It was my life. I was thinking about story or writing or practicing my art or making actual pages. That's about it.

Now for almost this entire year I have been working on the comic again. Under the idea that even if it's just 1 page a week I am at least still living my hobby and progressing the story.

But the limited amount of time is making it too stressful. I worry just to meet my deadline. I am not enjoying it now as each page feels like it's work and since I'm not getting a lot of drawing practice either through making more pages or random practice sketches my art is simply not improving and the pages are feeling HARDER to make each day.

Thanks for the read. Just needed to air out!

why don't you just do it in black and white man, I do only in pencil too, even manual on paper scanned.
well I haven't gotten time or fluent enough in making script so I work mainly as illustrator of someone else's script as commission projects...
so I kinda feel the burnt in doing it everyday.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Bea

#5666  August 19, 2015, 01:28:46 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
*snip*

I wouldn't say it has to be laid to rest, but it has to be put on hibernation right now.
Your family is young, and this is the point in your life where you need to treasure the moments with them. Watch your kid grow up, enjoy time with your wife.
Once the kid hits his teens, you will find yourself with more time to continue your comic endeavours. He will have other priorities in life, and will have enjoyed with childhood with quality time with his daddy.

Keep on practising, though. Draw a page here and there when you feel the urge, just to not get rusty, write down the story you want to tell, revise it, save it.
In ten years time you will have the time and most likely motivation to go back to it at full pace.

And good luck with your mugen endeavours too.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#5667  August 19, 2015, 03:18:45 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
why don't you just do it in black and white man, I do only in pencil too, even manual on paper scanned.
well I haven't gotten time or fluent enough in making script so I work mainly as illustrator of someone else's script as commission projects...
so I kinda feel the burnt in doing it everyday.
The art is the hardest part for me :P I enjoy coloring. Inking isn't too numbing. But the initial pencils are the hardest and most frustrating. Like I said, I consider myself a writer more than an artist. I've noticed that there are mostly 2 kinds of comic authors on the net. The ones that love to draw and make sequential art. And the ones that love to make the story and have to find a way to bring it to life. Looking at your art is is obvious you are VERY passionate about it. You don't care what the story is (as in it at least needs to interest you) you just want to draw it.
Me? I don't want to draw unless it's somehow going to further my story. So my improvements come much slower.
Basically I imagine my work as a tv series and try to replicate what I see in my mind into comic form.

I wouldn't say it has to be laid to rest, but it has to be put on hibernation right now.
Your family is young, and this is the point in your life where you need to treasure the moments with them. Watch your kid grow up, enjoy time with your wife.
Once the kid hits his teens, you will find yourself with more time to continue your comic endeavours. He will have other priorities in life, and will have enjoyed with childhood with quality time with his daddy.

Keep on practising, though. Draw a page here and there when you feel the urge, just to not get rusty, write down the story you want to tell, revise it, save it.
In ten years time you will have the time and most likely motivation to go back to it at full pace.

And good luck with your mugen endeavours too.
That might be true. And yes, I'll do something from time to time and still work out story kinks. It'd be easier to think it's laid to rest than to try and tell myself I have to wait 10-15 more years to really work on it again :P

Thanks for the kind words :)
#5668  August 19, 2015, 03:32:18 pm
  • "blablabla dont deface profiles"
did you try applying to work in major comic publishers? like DC, image or boom! try submitting your comic to them.
Heaven is just a prostitute without clothes.
#5669  August 19, 2015, 03:38:15 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Too much competition. No contacts on the inside. Getting your own original work accepted by any of the big guns would be more unlikely than getting hired as an artist. And I know TONS of people trying to get in just for that.

Not to mention all the talent on dA and all the hundreds of thousands of other webcomic properties out there. I'm not a special snowflake and I get that :P
#5670  August 19, 2015, 03:44:22 pm
im talking applying as a writer, good artists are like a dime on a dozen. not so much for writers, if you're a savvy writer maybe you'd get a chance there...
I got those realistic goals blues
#5671  August 19, 2015, 03:50:09 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Believe me. More people think they are good writers than think they are good artists. Look at Idea Engineering for the MUGEN equivalent :P

IE: Even if I was truly awesome at it the odds anyone would actually read it to find out at a company like that are next to none. When they get so many story applications.

Now finishing a MUGEN game and submitting it to Capcom to get hired for that! I think I got this one! :thumbsup:

Bea

#5672  August 19, 2015, 04:01:18 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org

That might be true. And yes, I'll do something from time to time and still work out story kinks. It'd be easier to think it's laid to rest than to try and tell myself I have to wait 10-15 more years to really work on it again :P

Thanks for the kind words :)

Never lay a dream to rest.
Put it on hold, on the ice, whatever, but leave it in a place from where you can dig it and come back to it at a later point, when you are older.
You will need said dreams by then.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

#5673  August 19, 2015, 04:11:31 pm
i agree there, don't just throw it behind you. keep practicing on your writing and grammar (as i feel those are more important and less time consuming than drawing, and they can be done anywhere).
oh and i've decided. i know want to read your comic, is this how i start reading?
this one
http://prologue.devonlegacy.com/
then go on to this
http://www.devonlegacy.com/comics/1
#5674  August 19, 2015, 04:33:22 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Yes. You can use the navigation buttons in Prologue to go to the newer series too.
You can also use the arrow keys left and right to turn pages.

IMO I didn't hit my stride till issue 3 of Prologue. Art wise and story wise. It's hard for me to read issues 1 and 2. But I've been told I'm a lot harder on them myself too so I dunno :P

And I'll keep writing. I like messing with the sci fi aspects and researching things to fit. Right now I'm fleshing out the internal logistics of the Universal Wave Function instead of the Many Worlds Interpretation. The idea that everything in the universe is nothing but waves that are interacting to create information. And that all probabilities exist within the wave but we each form our own reality based on the Universal Wave Function and how other people's waves collide with our own as they perceive their own reality.

BTW I'm a nerd lol

Bea

#5675  August 19, 2015, 04:38:44 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
Point me anyone here who isn't a nerd. :P

#5676  August 19, 2015, 04:41:29 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/

Bea

#5677  August 19, 2015, 04:44:32 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
Just the act of creating an account on this forum makes one a nerd, so that person is a fake fakenerd! :P

#5678  August 19, 2015, 05:05:46 pm
  • Your sweet baby brother
  • Young, dumb, and full of...you know ;)
    • USA
    • dcastaneda2011@yahoo.com
Fuckin' California weather.
Fuckin' California drought.
Fuckin' California.
#5679  August 19, 2015, 09:04:24 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares

#5680  August 19, 2015, 09:11:58 pm
did you really know