YesNoOk

"Variable Throws" (Read 1337 times)

Started by Dr. H, July 17, 2009, 04:44:23 am
Share this topic:
"Variable Throws"
#1  July 17, 2009, 04:44:23 am
  • Master of Vicodin
IIRC I once saw those throws that will damage as much as you press buttons (Blanka's bites, Heidern's Storm Bringer) being adressed by this name.

The purpose of this topic is to go in-deph about how it works (which commands are actually supposed to be done for example), specially under a KOF view (though any will do) for accurate mugen conversion. Please, share some of your knowledge. :)
Re: "Variable Throws"
#2  July 17, 2009, 05:50:00 am
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
For Capcom:
- When such a grab starts, a timer is created
- Timer decreases by 1 every tick, when it reaches 0 the move ends, or rather, changes into the last hit animation
- The opponent can mash buttons to decrease the timer as well, each tick where buttons are pressed decreasing it by an additional 1. The tick right after a button was pressed does not allow this though, that is to say there's a one-tick cooldown each time the timer was manually decreased
- The player can also mash buttons to speed up its animation, with no effect on the timer.  Each tick where a button is pressed advances the animation by one tick as well (i.e. a frame that'd normally last 2 ticks will last 1), and the same cooldown applies
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#3  July 17, 2009, 07:13:43 am
  • Master of Vicodin
Any button will do?
#4  July 17, 2009, 08:13:28 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Unless damage is added there, p1's button mash effect appears to be a waste of time.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#5  July 17, 2009, 08:25:45 am
  • Master of Vicodin
P1 can't get more time, but can use it better by getting more hits. The big doubt I have about capcom's are commands, does directionals counts?

For KOF, I thinks there' a "who gets more presses during x time" minigame, where if p2 scores more presses it ends, otherwise it keeps going until limit is reached, at least that's what I like to think. ;P
#6  July 17, 2009, 09:53:31 am
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
Directions and buttons are all handled the same AFAIK.  It's worth noting that making 37 inputs in the same tick still counts as 1, so the point of spinning the stick and mashing isn't to get as many simultaneous presses as possible but rather getting a constant stream of inputs.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#7  July 17, 2009, 03:17:10 pm
  • ロッキングガール
  • 「目指すはクールでロックなアイドル!」
    • twitter.com/c001357
#8  July 17, 2009, 09:40:38 pm
  • Master of Vicodin
Directions and buttons are all handled the same AFAIK.  It's worth noting that making 37 inputs in the same tick still counts as 1, so the point of spinning the stick and mashing isn't to get as many simultaneous presses as possible but rather getting a constant stream of inputs.

Thanks for these clarification. :)

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=7103804&postcount=409

Thanks for the link, unfortunatelly it's too 98 specific there, since you can actually break out of variable throws since (only?) 2002 and the partner gimmick is also almost an 98 easter egg.