YesNoOk

How do you deal with duplicate sprites? (Read 31246 times)

Started by Baby Bonnie Hood, March 22, 2018, 10:25:19 am
Share this topic:
How do you deal with duplicate sprites?
#1  March 22, 2018, 10:25:19 am
  • Cute Bounty Hunter
I'm looking through a SFF file that has a lot of duplicate sprites, and it bothers my perfectionist tendencies.  I could just leave it be since the SFF's filesize is small anyway and filesize hardly matters nowadays as much as it did years ago now that internet speeds have gotten faster.

But still, I just have to clean it up for optimization's sake.  The problem is, Fighter Factory doesn't seem to offer a way to check for duplicate sprites; and Sprmaker which could deal with duplicate sprites no longer works since it's a 16-bit program and I'm on a 64-bit system now.  So my last resort is to check them all manually, which I really dread doing because I might make a mistake and accidentally remove a sprite that isn't a duplicate because it looks so similar to one.

How do I deal with this problem, or am I the only one who sees it as a problem?
Re: How do you deal with duplicate sprites?
#2  March 22, 2018, 03:56:27 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
extract the sprites , I think fighter maker provides a way to extract the sprites and generate a text file so that they can be reimported. then use a duplicate image detector (program) so that you know which sprites are duplicated and change the export/import text file accordingly.
#3  March 23, 2018, 01:39:33 am
  • Cute Bounty Hunter
Argh, this would be so much easier if Fighter Factory itself could detect duplicate sprites in the first place.  Dealing with all of this by trying to use ancient tools and external programs, and trying to figure out how this SFFv2 format works... always, without fail, sprite work remains the hardest part of MUGEN creation.

Maybe I should just take that risk and do everything manually after all.
#4  March 23, 2018, 01:44:11 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
FF3 can detect duplicates.
#5  March 23, 2018, 02:57:43 am
  • Cute Bounty Hunter
It can?  How?  Please tell me, because I can't find it D:
#6  March 23, 2018, 09:05:07 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I use the older Fighter Factories to find duplicates and stuff, but it's a somewhat circuitous process, and I'm sure FF3 has a way easier method. Anyhow, I use a combination of MUGEN's command line tool sprmake and Fighter Factory's export function: first I export out the sprites from an existing sff, then I take the sprites and associated text file and rebuild the sff using sprmake. Then I do that process over again (and sometimes even more times, if I'm feeling paranoid; sometimes this is needed if the sprites start off uncropped, though) and get back an sff file with all the duplicates found and linked and stuff.

I'm not sure if this method is actually gonna be helpful to anyone besides me (I've heard too many horror stories about people losing their sff's, so I always set aside a set of sorted, uncropped sprites and a sprmake text file so I can rebuild any sff file I need, at a moment's notice), but Fighter Factory definitely recognizes any duplicates it sees when it exports stuff out!
#7  March 23, 2018, 09:28:12 am
  • Cute Bounty Hunter
So I exported the SFF with FF3, and all the duplicates aren't among the png files.

It was just that simple.  I feel dumb.

Oh god, now I have to import all of these back in...

Edit: It's not perfect, importing everything back in with no changes still misplaced sprites and axises.

Alright, new plan: Just edit the SFF itself, using the exported sprites as a reference to see which are duplicates so they can be appropriately dealt with.
Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 09:34:35 am by Baby Bonnie Hood
#8  March 23, 2018, 04:10:58 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Funny thing  when I did this thing I always had to value which "ocd" mattered more, having as little duplicate sprites as possible (because of course you can't have 0 duplicate sprites because of the gethits) or having all the animations point to all the sprites in the animation group without annoying crossrefferences.