YesNoOk

PC Budget Build Issues (Read 4614 times)

Started by ESFAndy011, February 01, 2018, 06:48:06 pm
Share this topic:
PC Budget Build Issues
#1  February 01, 2018, 06:48:06 pm
    • Peru
Hello.

So a friend of mine had a problem with his computer starting up, and it turns out that the heatsink for his integrated graphics had heated up and died. As a solution and as luck would have it, I had an old GTX 650 2GB that I had no use for lying around and it solved the issue.

However, the elephant in the room is that the GPU is sitting on a system which contains an old, somehow-still-alive AMD Athlon II x2 260. So needless to say, there is bottlenecking. He's happy as is, but something a little more "future-proof"(ish?) seems to be in order, and he agrees with me on this.

He's saving up money for a build I suggested, which is an FM2+ motherboard with an A8-7650k processor on it. That way, he keeps his DDR3 8GB RAM and we just move it over along with his HDD, GPU and PSU and put it all in the case he already has. Very cheap and efficient solution... right??

Welllll... thebottlenecker.com has told me that a "reverse" bottleneck will occur. I have honestly never seen anything like it. It's like 57% bottleneck average, in the sense that the CPU is way too strong for the GPU instead of the other way around. Until we can get the GTX 1050 TI, which is what we're really after and would cause no troublesome bottlenecking, he needs to save up after we build the rest first.

So, getting to the question: how bad would this be? What are the repercussions of having a CPU that "overpowers" the GPU to such extent? I have tried investigating this and all I ever find is the same old "processor sucks" discussions (the more common type of bottleneck).
Millie, "Ozy and Millie" said:
"I think there are really three types of people: "Glass is half-full" sorts of people, "Glass is half-empty" sorts of people,
and people who will spit into the glass until that's fixed."
Re: PC Budget Build Issues
#2  February 01, 2018, 10:23:31 pm
yeah if you have a strong cpu like an i5 or i7, you would definitely notice the graphical shortcomings of the 650 in the form of frame droppings.
i don't think a that an amd quad core apu would bottleneck the 650 though, i'd say they're pretty well matched. you may come across games were you'd need to lower the resolution to get the best performance.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#3  February 01, 2018, 11:52:42 pm
    • Peru
Yeah I found it weird too, considering I saw comparisons between the 650 and the A8's integrated graphics. The 650 beat it in every area, some more than others. I think you're right, we should be fine. Here's hoping we don't have to go back to the old build until he can get a new GPU lol.

Thanks for the help, man.

EDIT: Assuming the bottleneck does happen, would disabling, say, 2 cores in the BIOS help? Just a thought?
"I think there are really three types of people: "Glass is half-full" sorts of people, "Glass is half-empty" sorts of people,
#4  February 02, 2018, 12:29:37 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
afaik, reverse bootlenecks are not a abd problem to have, it's not like the gpu is going to run any faster if you put a slower cpu in there. if that cpu is the best bang for your buck and it should be if you do more things than just playing games, there's no reason to undo the deal.

unless the gpu si really gonig to underperform and there is an article that proves that, I would not worry about it; to me saying reverse bootleneck sounds like a fishy marketing term.
#5  February 02, 2018, 11:08:40 am
Yeah I found it weird too, considering I saw comparisons between the 650 and the A8's integrated graphics. The 650 beat it in every area, some more than others.
but that is a flawed and unfair compression. you're not gonna use the igu of the a8, you're only gonna use it as a cpu.
and i don't recommend disabling any cores from the bios either. old amd quad core apus are not as strong as you think they are, an intel i3 is considerably stronger than them.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#6  February 02, 2018, 01:28:47 pm
    • Peru
Alright, awesome. Thanks to you both, you've been of tremendous help! And by all means, if there's any other tip you can think of adding in this thread, I am all ears, I love learning about this stuff (the budget PC world, you could say), especially considering I can't find the option to mark this as Solved.