YesNoOk

Root Inheriting Helper Movetype = H (Read 1597 times)

Started by Nep Heart, January 03, 2019, 08:56:56 am
Share this topic:
Root Inheriting Helper Movetype = H
#1  January 03, 2019, 08:56:56 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 I'm current working on a character with a built-in system where she can call upon assists into battle. One of them is a semi-permanent assist that once summoned, he passively attacks for root periodically. He works fine for the most part except an issue... whenever the assist is sent into his own hit state (completely separate from the root's), the root ends up inheriting the helper's hit state. This happens when both the root and helper assist are simultaneously hit by a hitdef that triggers targetstate and the helper gets hit while the root is still in custom state.

Here is a gif to demonstrate the basic idea of the problem.

I actually consulted another coder at a different place I frequent and he told me that whenever a hitoverride is used, they will go to prevstateno = 5000/5020 for an extremely brief moment before being sent to the stateno assigned by the hitoverride. So, the solution was to make it so that the target is dropped so that hitting the helper doesn't make the root inherit the assists movetype = H. Problem is that dropping the target too soon leads to another issue; it interferes with combos themselves, which in turn means my character's damage scaling and juggling system will also fail too.

I'm torn between how to handle it since it seems as if I can't have one or the other, but I am sure there is a solution that says otherwise.
Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 09:49:54 am by Nep Heart
Re: Root Inheriting Helper Movetype = H
#2  January 03, 2019, 02:46:52 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
I'm not exactly sure how or why it's happening. I _believe_ I had this same problem with Yun&Yang. It's been so long since I've worked on that char I cant clearly remember. If you want to poke around in it,
https://host-a.net/f/138308-yunyang718rar
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#3  January 05, 2019, 10:59:34 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Your helper should have his own hitstates completely. In addition he doesn't need to be movetype h at all unless you want him to take damage from your opponents hits.

You haven't made it helpertype player have you? That can do some weird stuff as helpers normally don't become targets via hitoverride...

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#4  January 05, 2019, 11:14:54 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
 Just tried Idle statetype and I still get the same thing.

Also, no, Kyon's a normal helper actually.
#5  January 05, 2019, 04:28:08 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
What’s the targetstate look like, is there something in it that causes this to happen?
#6  January 06, 2019, 12:24:52 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
 It's a custom knockdown state. Here's what it looks like.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Just to be safe and make it easier on everyone, I'll also post the relevant codes for the assist itself.

This is the helper that remains for the entire round and is only present after intros and before win/lose states. This helper is used to call forth and monitor all assists, therefore, it's a helper that also calls in other helpers.

These are all states for Kyon himself (the assist helper that is the topic of this thread).

All the statedef -2 stuff for the Kyon assist as well as what calls in the helper that monitors all assists.

This is actually my first time making assists lol.
#7  January 06, 2019, 09:03:25 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Hang on. How are you hitting the helper with a custom state attack? Have you done a normal hit and then thrwn targetstate at it? You have a couple of options.

Use p2stateno in the hitdef. It'll miss the helper altogether.

Use hitonce = 1 in the hitdef and id the hitdef as well. Then stick with targetstate but only apply it to the id in question. Long as your helper stops being a target you should be good there.

Alternatively you could run a targetdrop right after the targetstate. So additional hits shouldn't affect your prior target

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#8  January 06, 2019, 09:49:13 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
 Yeah, I've been using targetstates and hitdefs with IDs attached to them for custom stating since p2stateno has given me headaches in the past.

Targetdrop interferes with combos, which in turn messes up my damage scaling and juggle system.

Tried hitonce and it seems to have actually worked. The root stops going into the same hitstate as her assist when I tried every custom stating move she has. I can't believe I didn't notice this parameter in the past.

Thanks!