YesNoOk

Cargo Dog -New special char idea...plans to involve community in it (Read 3236 times)

Started by Balthazar, September 11, 2013, 09:48:48 pm
Cargo Dog -New special char idea...plans to involve community in it
#1  September 11, 2013, 09:48:48 pm
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
I came up with one more special character that'd seem interesting to me, and that character is...
the first boss from the NES Jetsons game, the robot cargo dog (video starts at the right timeframe).
http://youtu.be/UcUOBqwhp-A?t=3m9s
(Sorry I couldnt find a screenshot. There's only 1 in Google Images but it doesn't link correctly. And as you might know my ShitBucket bandwidth limit has once again expired. Must've been that Jouen Shinryuken animation, that was a big one and there were several).

As you can see, he doesn't have a lot going for him, except for his main attack, which is;
opening his chest hatch and having a small drone eject from it, which attacks the opponent.

My intention was to sprite the dog, and the main idea was to have community members/users
come up with their own ideas for small drone characters that can attack the enemy.
They probably only require a handful of mandatory animations, as well as at least 1 attack.
It can be anything, the only requirement is that it's limited to a certain size, so it can eject from the dog's chest.
You could go crazy with this. It could be a minion, from Despicable Me. It can be a duck from Duckhunt.
Just keep in mind it's not supposed to be suggestions for me. I don't plan to sprite a whole lot of drones, if any (probably the small dog).
The drones would have very little life, a couple of blows should knock them out. But not too weak, because it will be fun when there'd be 2/3 different drones on the screen at once, all itching to kill you.
Don't give me ideas for me to sprites. Sprite them yourselves. It can literally be a small character consisting of 10 sprites.
All you would have to do is deliver the spritesheet, and a little text on how you think the character should act in his attack pattern.
If possible, also include sound effects for your character, so the coder (or me) doesn't end up having to find dozens of fitting sound effects.

And about the coder: Well it will probably have to be someone crazy enough to be willing to code AI for dozens of unique small characters :P

So, sound like a good idea? It would probably fall flat if not many people contributed. So please be honest if you plan to contribute or not. I think it sounds pretty good! Let me know.
Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:12:24 pm by Balthazar
Re: New special char idea...plans to involve community in it
#2  September 11, 2013, 09:52:33 pm
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
Re: New special char idea...plans to involve community in it
#3  September 12, 2013, 09:06:39 pm
    • Netherlands
Sadly I do not know that man. Anyway, here's the first sprite and a simple animation of him.
This shows a gun attack. In the NES game he had a sort of small satalite dish appear instead which's shot'd paralize the player.
Perfect for letting the drones home in on the poor guy. The paralizing attack is still planned, this just sort of happened.

Man I love robot stuff.

Also this should give you an idea for how small a drone character would be. The hatch is about 30 pixels high.
Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:13:19 pm by Balthazar
Re: Cargo Dog -New special char idea...plans to involve community in it
#4  September 13, 2013, 11:07:49 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
#5  September 13, 2013, 11:40:34 am
    • Netherlands
Yeah, those'll do :)
Pretty much half of all the enemies from Mario/Kirby/Sonic would be contenders as well. (although respriting them to match CvS-ish style would be highly preferred). And yup whoever decides to pick up coding will have their work cut out for them!
#6  September 18, 2013, 07:24:58 pm
    • Netherlands
tailwaggin'
#7  September 19, 2013, 06:13:24 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
#8  September 19, 2013, 09:46:11 am
    • Netherlands
Should work damn fine :) Thanks!
#9  September 19, 2013, 11:56:43 am
    • Netherlands

Here's the RELEASE THE KRAKEN animation.