YesNoOk

new game system for a full game (Read 816 times)

Started by Bastard Mami, November 22, 2012, 08:17:01 pm
new game system for a full game
New #1  November 22, 2012, 08:17:01 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
what I have been doing lately is getting even more influences because at the time of the game's design the biggest influences were just kof and trf, the first redesign came after I played some more doujin games because I felt like the game was just a kof clone with a (small) twist, so I have been playing a few more games including 3d ones to get more ideas and diferentiate this game more from kof than what I had originally done.

this topic can work as reference, I plan still some changes to it, the first post is the most important.
http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/game-system-adjustments--139765.0.html

One of the things I want to achieve with the game is give it some feeling of strategic depth to the combo system so there is not a single best combo for the char, but rather since doing longer combos requires using different bars and the combos themselves can damage the oponent in different ways you choose a combo based on your overall strategy without one combo being always the best option, you could doa  combo trying to get p2 dizzy faster or you can try to economyze the skill bar instead of the power bar. I also want to have a lot of positional /s situational combos, so depending on whether you hit a grounded or jumping oponent or geta counter hit the follow ups would be very different.

First a small summary.

moving around will still be close to kof style with running, jumping and rolling.
attacks will be 4 butttons, punches and kicks , weak and strong.
dir + button attacks will also be present.
special attacks will be like in most games, no ex moves. two levels for supers.
grabs will be scapable.
there will be a some more advantages/moves gained by using a power levels/skill bar.

now, onto changes and stuff that is not mentioned in that topic.

I am still lacking a safe fall/ landing/oki mechanic, so once you hit the ground you can only recover regularly. not sure if I should use the kof roll or something else.

A change I want to implement is defining a max crouching height line, that will be done so all attacks can be categorized in low attacks, mid attacks and high attacks; by makign all the characters, have, let's say a max heigh of 50 pixels while crouching all high attack will hit over that so they won't be able to hit crouching oponents, while low attacks will hit that but will not hit above that line and mid attacks can hit both below and above the line. this is to slightly break the mold of the priority system used in kof.

The combo system goes like this jump in attack or get close; then by cancelling it goes basic attack, dir + button attack, special attack/super. if the last step launches you can hit with another attack and p2 will either air recover or fall to his back. if the last step does not launch and is a special you can super cancel to finish the combo. there is also the CD attack which can take the place of special/super after dir + button so ou can restart with basic and go to dir +button then special again, or in the case of launching it can be used to juggle the oponent then hit with a special.

Changes of the dir+button system; I want to make the dir + button more unique, so, some  dir+button attack can be chained between themselves thus breakign the previous rule, so let's say fwd+a can be chained into fwd +b but not viceversa, and you can do stand C, fwd+a, fwd+B, special as a combo. also another change is not allowing all the dir +button attacks to be chained into from basics, so you can do stand C, fwd +A, but not stand C, fwd + D; yet another change that is closely tied to this is that some dir+button attacks will be chainable to basics, so you can do fwd +D, stand C, this is both to give it longer chains for certain characters and make certain moves more useful by allowing you to start better combos from dir+button attacks.

Also now certain attacks, normally on counter hit, will make p2 stagger, which will be a state similar to dizzy, tho you will only be able to stagger p2 once per combo, if you try to stagger p2 again he will just fall normally, this is to play around more with the character's movelists and reacting to counter hits.

As seen in the linked topic the juggle system has not been defined, also mugen has a quite horrible get up system so I plan to recode/custom state that part of mugen even if I avoid doing that normally.

to start, you do your ground chain that ends with a launcher or just a standalone launcher/ launching counter hit, once player 2 is in the air it's where the changes/considerations start , I want to end up with something similar to tekken's juggles, but with the current way hitvels work it might end up on infinites. I want to have some filler hits then it can end with an attack that jsut makes p2 fall (like a super) or even better an attack that crushes p2 in the ground, once p2 has been crushed to the ground there can be mroe filler attacks then again, end with an attack that makes p2 fall.
some special/dir +button attacks will have the added property of crushign p2 to the ground.

I will post later to elaborate more int the juggle system, note that I am just putting my ideas on it in order as well so any suggestions and comments are welcome.
Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 11:53:40 pm by [E]