YesNoOk

"Original" Game Concept Idea (Read 1899 times)

Started by Cactush, October 30, 2014, 04:53:57 am
"Original" Game Concept Idea
#1  October 30, 2014, 04:53:57 am
    • cactusplease123@gmail.com
So, I've been playing fighting games for years, and now I've started warming up to the idea of making one of my own.
I'm considering this to be a project to ease myself into Mugen and how it works, because right now I have no god damned idea.

The concept itself is similar to Street Fighter II. My plan is to have 8 fighters, based off of people I know IRL, and duke it out with these 8 fighters to reach the last fight, an antagonist I haven't developed fully yet.

My character list so far is as follows;

Greg: The 'Shotoclone' of the game, his design is focused on rushdown, aggressive attacks, with fast mobility. He is sorely lacking in health and defence and his defensive options are limited.

Special Moves

Sonic Boomerang: This is Greg's projectile, and his only ranged move, being the typical shotoclone, this moves recovery time is quite slow, but it travels quite fast.

Dragon Imitation: This is your standard Dragon Punch, and it's properties are almost identical, except the first hit of the light version hits low, then high, and the hard version forces Greg to float down to the ground, making it a lot more punishable on block.

Snakebite: The typical hurricane kick, but unlike most hurricane kick users, Greg stays stationary during this move, the light version spins once, with the fastest startup and recovery, the medium spins twice and has average recovery, but some frames allow Greg to pass through projectiles. The hard version knocks up enemies rather than knock them back, but the enemy falls faster(if this is possible in Mugen) allowing Greg to continue his combo for a little longer.

Nathan: The 'Zoner' character of the game, Nathan's attacks and skills are all about mindgames and pressure from afar. He has lots of projectile attacks that span multiple directions and a wall jump if he gets pressured. He has weak than usual stamina to make up for his defence options.

Special Moves

Lightning: A move that creates an arc of lightning in front of Nathan's current position, the light and medium versions are the same, but heavy version mirrors the arc, changing it into an anti-air move.

Cool Orb: Similar to Jin's SFxT projectile, Nathan creates a blue orb of energy at a set distance in his direction. The distance from Nathan is dependant on the button pressed.

Arc Fire: Nathan creates an arc of fire above his head, and lasts for 0.5 seconds, this is Nathan's true anti-air move. This move has a horrible recovery time and is slower than average to start up, so timing must be precise.

Wall Jump: Nathan's wall jump is pretty simple, aim for the edge of the screen, and you jump. This Jump is quick enough to evade most anti-airs, and is generally meant to shake off any pressure from Nathan if he can't pull of Lightning.

I'll post the other characters as I develop them, but for now I'd like some critique on the ones I've posted now.

Also, I have mild understanding of how Mugen works, I am planning to hand-draw my sprites and all that hoo-hah, but I am opening this project to any who are interested, though I'm not sure if compensation is required for projects.
Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 05:00:00 am by Cactush
Re: "Original" Game Concept Idea
#2  October 30, 2014, 07:26:02 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Compensation isn't required but it would probably give people more of an incentive to join. And I guess also to have a bit more of a persuasive pitch than "8 people I know in real life."

Additionally, attempting a FULL GAME when you're just starting with MUGEN is pretty much the fastest way to doom yourself to failure. Just focus on learning how to make characters, start off small, then work your way up, and then if you still really feel like it's what you want to do, go for it.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go make my 2D fighter starring me, a waitress at a restaurant I frequent, one of my classmates, and the local drug addict who keeps complaining about God hating him and burning holes in his hands.
Re: "Original" Game Concept Idea
#3  November 12, 2014, 01:10:22 pm
  • You Can't Handle The Truth!
    • www.youtube.com/user/DevilRaptorB
if your talking about making a free project then let me tell you that its a bad idea, people take a shitload of money for spriting , and by the end of the day you well get nothing in return

I have ideas for an original gae, but not gana risk doing it with mugen, if its a project it has to generate back money , and mugen is a free gaming engine