YesNoOk

Star Wars Thread: The Rise of running out of witty titles (Read 472764 times)

Started by Roman55, October 30, 2012, 09:02:49 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Star Wars Thread: The Last Jedi (till later movies)
#361  December 16, 2017, 04:36:34 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Saw it last night

I really liked it. The space fights scenes really kept me on the edge of my sit. I'd swear the previous movies' weren't as intense as this one's, the Dreadnaught fight is really jaw dropping and it's just the movies intro. This movie also toys with the viewers expectations so many times I forgot I was watching a popcorn film.

Spoiler: On Snoke (click to see content)

Spoiler: On Leia (click to see content)

@Byakko:

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 04:44:11 pm by Foobs Sese Seko Nkuku Ngben...
#362  December 16, 2017, 05:29:01 pm
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 05:55:46 pm by Byakko
#363  December 17, 2017, 12:37:43 am
  • all is love in fair and war
Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 12:52:41 am by kakkoii superhero
#364  December 17, 2017, 01:23:07 am
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 01:39:16 am by Byakko
#365  December 17, 2017, 02:10:05 am
Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 02:36:36 am by kakkoii superhero
#366  December 17, 2017, 02:22:52 am
Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 03:01:36 am by Byakko
#367  December 17, 2017, 02:48:16 am
#368  January 09, 2018, 04:24:40 pm
Is there anyone who still hasn't seen it ?
Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 04:31:15 pm by Byakko
#369  January 09, 2018, 05:49:30 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
It's been three weeks since the worldwide release, we can drop the spoiler tags now.

Considering the source is a concept art book, it makes sense it only mentions the early drafts for VII and VIII and not IX. Disney may not know where to take the franchise, but I think it's more likely that they do know and don't want to spill the beans. A billionaire project like a SW trilogy doesn't sound like the kind of stuff Disney does on the fly.

It'd be interesting to ask Lucas how did he plan to end the trilogy, but he might be under a strict NDA.
#370  February 01, 2018, 06:47:19 pm
So apparently Andy Serkis is going around talking about Snoke, how he too was shocked to see him die like that but that he knew it felt right at that moment in the movie because Kylo Ren is the one who's important and they wanted to "clear the deck" of the Emperor/Vader relationship... but hinting that "you never know" when a character dies if he will return or be brought back somehow.
Personally I'd find it hilarious if he returned as a Force ghost, to maintain the emphasize on how blurred the line is between the light and dark sides (no Sith has appeared as a Force ghost, only Jedis - and post-redemption Anakin), to show off Snoke's mastery of the Force a bit more for shit 'n giggles, and because that would be pretty satisfying as a counter-weight to the Emperor/Vader connection if Ghost Nappa Snoke just started haunting Kylo like an angry vengeful ghost. Take the focus a bit off either character and more on the Force itself, what it can do, like a disaster movie with good and bad characters running away from a storm. Maybe this could actually go somewhere (because Kylo right now is a pretty terrible character and is looking to be an awful big bad in ep 9 on his own), and where Last Jedi on its own really divided the fandom, seeing the trilogy as a whole might have episode 9 counter balance episode 8 a lot and make it feel better in hindsight.
Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 06:52:16 pm by Byakko
#371  April 12, 2019, 11:27:57 pm
Sssooooooo the title is Star Wars Episode IX : Fuck Rian Johnson, then, right ? Was that it ?
#372  April 13, 2019, 12:26:22 am
  • Sublimity.
    • Canada

For what gripes people have with the sequel trilogy -- and understandably so -- I'm all for more Lando.
#373  April 13, 2019, 01:02:06 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Sssooooooo the title is Star Wars Episode IX : Fuck Rian Johnson, then, right ? Was that it ?
Eh, they almost certainly are not bringing back Luke back as anything other than a Force Ghost. I think the most likely scenario is that the subtitle refers either to Rey taking on the surname "Skywalker" (or being bestowed it as a sobriquet by people upon her), as a tribute to Luke, or, (and I think this is way more interesting and more likely) that the "Skywalker" becomes a title, a new order that Rey starts that's like a more balanced Jedi Order or something.

Luke was the Last Jedi, and Rey becomes the First Skywalker. It just feels narratively right!
#374  April 13, 2019, 01:20:16 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
I'm highly amused that once again in this new trilogy Robot Chicken did one of their big plot points first as a gag.

I'm still interested but consistently less so with each passing film, so hope they have something good planned this time around.  Didn't even bother with the last one in theaters after its reception and seeing it streamed months later left me with a worse feeling than all the polarizing opinions on its message on politics; it was a bore and quite forgetful.  Which is something that Star Wars absolutely can not be.
#375  April 13, 2019, 05:50:42 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com

There's no Rose in it. I hope its true.  :hyo:

sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 05:54:37 am by rgveda99
#376  April 13, 2019, 07:36:21 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Uh, no? She was at the big Star Wars event along with the rest of the cast. And she's in the trailer!
#377  April 13, 2019, 07:46:13 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com

I'll just hope for the next best thing which is they'll kill the character off the first 5 or 10 minutes.  :rifle:

While I do appreciate more significant asian representation in Hollywood I just don't like this character Rose at all.  :bjugoi:
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#378  April 13, 2019, 07:56:22 am
    • Germany
Is it just me or was that the laughter of Emperor Palpatine in the end of the Trailer?
Re: Star Wars Thread: The Rise of running out of witty titles
#379  April 13, 2019, 02:13:56 pm
Yes. Ian McDiarmid, the actor, even walked on the stage immediately after that and with his Palpatine voice said "roll. it. again." (and they played it again)

I don't have anything against the Rose character, it's just that everything around her was bad, but she should be fine in a movie that's actually well done.
Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 02:17:01 pm by Byakko
Re: Star Wars Thread: The Rise of running out of witty titles
#380  April 13, 2019, 02:36:39 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Naturally, the everyone's mad about this trailer and still complaining about The Last Jedi, but that's to be expected.  Star Wars fans have been irrationally angry about everything for the last 40 years and they're not about to stop now.  There is literally nothing that any director could do that Star Wars fans wouldn't complain about.

I thought The Last Jedi was great, minus the whole subplot with Holdo which didn't make any sense the way it was presented, and the new trailer looks great as well.   Though I do find it funny how Snoke wound up being such an underdeveloped character that he got replaced by the guy who he himself was supposed to be replacing.