YesNoOk

Decent One Button Fighter (or Two if you count start) Idea (Read 1371 times)

Started by Zer0Mojo, August 31, 2015, 05:24:42 am
Decent One Button Fighter (or Two if you count start) Idea
#1  August 31, 2015, 05:24:42 am
  • The Man Without The Plan
    • USA
This is something I been thinking about doing for awhile. A Decent Fighter with only one button (or two if you count start for taunts). I started spriting/Frankensteing for this personal project. any ideas?
Re: Decent One Button Fighter (or Two if you count start) Idea
#2  August 31, 2015, 06:26:52 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
It wouldn't work. You would be severely limiting yourself with just one button.
#3  August 31, 2015, 06:29:12 am
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
two is the best option for something like this, smash bros-esque control scheme, one for specials, one for basics.
#4  August 31, 2015, 06:40:06 am
    • USA
It wouldn't work. You would be severely limiting yourself with just one button.

That's the point. To see if a decent character can be made with just one attack button.
But I can see what you're talking about, limiting myself with just one button.
Dee Bee Kaw has 3 buttons (4 with the flying fist attack), so I thought that i can experiment with this "less than 4 button" idea, take it to a more limited form. This is just a idea.
Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 06:43:49 am by Thojoewhit
#5  August 31, 2015, 06:46:10 am
    • USA
    • Skype - TatariZane2009
Well, if you're going for the Marvel Nemesis route (since the game has one buttons, seriously), it'd be best to see what you CAN do with that one button.

But otherwise, just at least 2 buttons would do (one for punches, and the other for kicks). 3 If you're going for a Low, Med, and High attack (which is more fun).
#6  August 31, 2015, 06:47:05 am
    • USA
    • Dumanios@yahoo.com
    • Skype - Dumanios
Dee Bee Kaw has 3 buttons (4 with the flying fist attack), so I thought that i can experiment with this "less than 4 button" idea, take it to a more limited form. This is just a idea.

Well, Borewood's Priere is a 2 button character IIRC (not counting start), so there's that.
#7  August 31, 2015, 06:52:46 am
  • Furry Fighting Game Trash
    • Canada
You could do a 1 button fighter that has the 3 types of attacks by doing button combinations like back+attack is light, nothing+attack is medium, and forward+attack is hard.
#8  August 31, 2015, 06:55:52 am
    • USA
#9  August 31, 2015, 07:03:31 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
You could do a 1 button fighter that has the 3 types of attacks by doing button combinations like back+attack is light, nothing+attack is medium, and forward+attack is hard.

This just occured to me. Although, you're going to accept that you're not getting useful command normals like this.
There's also the fact thst pretty much all special moves wil be the same variant and we haven't touched upon how you're going to implement system mechanics with just one button.

You're better off with at least 2.
#10  August 31, 2015, 07:09:55 am
  • Furry Fighting Game Trash
    • Canada
This just occured to me. Although, you're going to accept that you're not getting useful command normals like this.
There's also the fact thst pretty much all special moves wil be the same variant and we haven't touched upon how you're going to implement system mechanics with just one button.

It would probably be helpful if we knew what the op is trying to achieve with only one button before getting to advanced things like system mechanics

#11  August 31, 2015, 07:36:11 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Darkflare said:
Ryu did it in Super Smash Bros. It's entirely possible to do all of his moves without ever using more than one button. Different strengths are covered with the duration you hold down button presses and directions. The only exception is that you'd lose rolling and dodging, but there are plenty of fighters that don't have them.
#12  August 31, 2015, 07:52:29 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
Ryu did it in Super Smash Bros. It's entirely possible to do all of his moves without ever using more than one button.
Minus his Focus Attack, but that's only one move out of an arsenal of who the fuck knows how many attacks.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#13  August 31, 2015, 09:29:38 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Forgot about Focus Attack, thanks. So yeah, no Focus Attacks and no rolling/dodging. So with just a single button, Ryu does these moves:

Attack (Neutral): 2 (4 if you count every hit in the light chain as a unique attack)
Attack + Direction (Tilts): 6
Attack + Tap Direction (Smash): 3
Attacks (in air): 4
Dash Attack: 1
Specials: (ignoring B variants), 3 specials with two variants each (6 total).

Another thing you also lose out on without B is Ryu's supers (Final Smashes) but if you're doing directional commands you could probably just handle them with QCFx2+Attack or whatever.

So yeah, Smash Bros proved that it could be done, it's just a matter of if you're willing to make attacks based on a button tap/hold system.
#14  September 03, 2015, 09:30:19 pm
  • Idea!
    • USA
This seems like an interesting challenge.  I say go for it and see what comes of it.