YesNoOk

The Eurovision Song Contest Thread (Read 7887 times)

Started by SkySplitters, May 10, 2017, 12:36:48 pm
Share this topic:
The Eurovision Song Contest Thread
#1  May 10, 2017, 12:36:48 pm
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
So I've searched the threads and don't find any topic for Eurovision, so I figured I'd make one to start some discussions about it.

What is Eurovision song contest? It's the biggest song contest platform in the world. It is set in Europe, but it is members of the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) who can be able to enter, so some countries are part of Asia, and the infamous entries of the land down under, Australia these last 3 years. When it comes to qualifying for the contest, there are the big 5 and last years winner who directly qualify for the next years final each year. These big 5 are; United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy and Spain. For the rest of the EBU members they have to go through 2 semi finals, where each country pick an artist/band from their country to put up against each other and fight for other countries votes. The 20 countries with most votes during these 2 semi finals will advance to the final and compete with the big 5 and the host country.

Now it's time for Eurovision 2017, and it's held in Kiev (Ukraine), which was the last year winner.
First semi final was yesterday (09.05.2017), next is tomorrow, and there it will be 16 new countries trying to qualify for the final which is on saturday (13th of May.) Only 10 more countries from tomorrow's semi can come further.

Here is the link to the official website where you can watch the shows, read up on the contestants, watch exclusive clips and everything you need for the Eurovision!

https://eurovision.tv/

Are there any fans out there or someone who just watch the show out there?
Do you have any favourites this year?
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
The Street Fighter 2014-2021.
Re: The Eurovision Song Contest Thread
#2  May 10, 2017, 12:50:40 pm
I watch The Eurovision Song Contest every year except last night. I was not able to. I am not sure but, with so much countries participating it gets boring fast. I believe some countries keep complaining about the voting system every year.

Moldova's Epic Sax Guy from 2010 returns once more with Sunstroke Project - Hey Mamma.
#3  May 10, 2017, 01:06:52 pm
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
Well that's because the voting keeps changing it's system, it's like they can't make a solid enough voting system unfortuantly.

Indeed. In the green room, Epic Sax guy was interviewed and asked if he wanted to say something to his fans, he grabbed the sax and played the old tune! It was really cool. :)

I'm really starting to like Italy's song this year.
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
#4  May 10, 2017, 01:46:01 pm
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
This year's Spain song is TERRIBLE, so I won't be surprised if we get the last position. Also, we have been.sending great artists and songs(also listed as favourites) and never get above position 13 in the last 4 years. Even Conchita Wurst said her/his favourite artist and song was Spain.
I swear there was something cool here!!

SNT

#5  May 10, 2017, 02:01:45 pm
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia

What the fuck are we even doing there?
#6  May 10, 2017, 07:53:26 pm
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
Felo: Yeah, not too hyped for Spain either... Honestly, why the hell does the song have 1 line in it? All I hear is "Do it for your lover"... Do what?! lol
I do remember a few years back about this comedic elvis type of guy who used a toy guitar in his act, he was from spain!

SNT: Well... It started out by being a one time thing, since Australia were the biggest fans of Eurovision of those who are not part of Europe, but... They have been performing so well each year that people don't really care anymore and let it pass. I do remember it was talk that other countries who were part of the EBU family would get a same oppertunity if a deal was made with the country... So, China, USA, Kazakhstan might happen.
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
#7  May 10, 2017, 08:17:15 pm
Felo: Yeah, not too hyped for Spain either... Honestly, why the hell does the song have 1 line in it? All I hear is "Do it for your lover"... Do what?! lol
I do remember a few years back about this comedic elvis type of guy who used a toy guitar in his act, he was from spain!
Traditionally, Spain has sent awesome artists. That guy(Chililicuatre) was a bet from an humoristical tv show. Edurne, Rosa, Massiel(who won), Ruth Lorenzo...that guy was a shame.
#8  May 10, 2017, 09:04:36 pm
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
Figured he could not have been serious quite quick.
Indeed, Spain has some incredible talents too. Edurne was incredible definently one of my favourites of 2015.
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
#9  May 10, 2017, 09:35:07 pm
That was indeed Rodolfo Chikilicuatre with Baila El Chiki Chiki. It was in 2008.

I was a fan of ZDob Si ZDub. They are from Moldova. Their song was Bunica Bate Doba which means Grandma beats the drum. It was back in 2005. They also participated in 2011 with So Lucky. I wish there were more entries like these.
#10  May 10, 2017, 09:44:43 pm
Yes! Edurne's voice is astonishing. Not my kimd of artist and style, but that girl has quality.

Also, Omega, are you European too?

#11  May 10, 2017, 09:55:24 pm
Yes, I am from The Netherlands. I was born there but, I am also Turkish. I do live in Turkey for a couple years now. I'm a dual citizen.
#12  May 10, 2017, 10:05:38 pm
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
That brings me back! That was Moldova's debut performence and one of my favourites as well, it was really good.

What did you think of Azerbaijan's debut song? The Devil & Angel duo, I think it was good.
From Turkish songs there was Deli from 2008, it was pretty good, still remember it well today.
Also the last song from 2012 I remember as well.

Netherlands? Hmm. The Common Linetts might just be what I remember, and that Native American looking female with the guitar.

That's the beauty with Eurovision Felo, there is so much weird stuff going on that even if you don't like it, you still like it.
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
#13  May 11, 2017, 11:54:40 am
The Angel and Devil duo from Azerbaijan are Elnur and Samir with their song Day After Day. It was a good song.

Deli was from Mor ve Ötesi. They are one of Turkey's popular rock bands. Their songs are political. It was a good song too. I did like Athena from Turkey back in 2004 with their song called For Real.

I also enjoyed the song Tomorrow by Gianluca Bezzina from Malta 2013. It was such a happy song. Then Hunter Of Stars by Sebalter from Switzerland in 2014. It was a song with the whistle.

#14  May 11, 2017, 10:55:19 pm
    • Poland
I watch it from time to time although we have weak contestants. I watched pieces if ot in 2014 (or whole thing, I don't remember) then I returned in 2015. Yes Edurne was one of my favs. She killed it right there and that voice omg. I loved Polina Gagarina  from Russia with"Million voices" too. You can say all you want about Russia and I'm not fan of the nation but she was great. Stunning beautiful with great voice. Awesme performance, And she should have won. She didn't because people didn't like prospect of helding the Contest in Moscow.  Voters choosed safest option.

I got pissed and I watched results only in 2016. Due to change of voiting in 2016 (half points go from voters and half from jury) Poland got 8th place, But funny thing is that in Jury vote w got 25 (almost last) place and in viewers vote we got 2nd. Biggest difference in result I've seen. And the latter would've been official according old rules. What a pity.

Worst part of the contest is how political it become. I am supposed to believe that Ukraine won because they have best song ? No offence to them but, it's same thing like with Polina losing.  If nation is opressed, people feel more sympathy and they want give it award as form of support. It has nothing to do with music.

I'm gonna skip it this year too. Not that I don't like Eurovision, but I have better things to watch.
"If our lives are indeed the sum total of the choices we've made, then we cannot change who we are. But with every new choice we're given, we can change who we're going to be." The Outer Limits S04E04

"If knowledge is power and power corrupts... how will human kind ever survive?" The Outer Limits S04E16
#15  May 11, 2017, 11:59:29 pm
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
Agreed, what happened with Poland last year was tragic. I really like his performence! Also the year before from Poland too! This year it did not blow me away.

For tonight's performences, I got 6/7 guesses, but there were 10 who got to the finals! So 6 out 10 is pretty good. :)
I'm very happy that Norway got to the finals. I don't think we will win, but I'm happy that there are people out there who likes our song too! Also, funny thing, right before the first song was going to be revealed in the silence you could clearly hear from some fans screaming "Norway", so that was fun.

Bulgaria was fantastic, I really loved that song! Croatia deserved it, it was an amazing performence. Netherlands had an unique and well done performence. Those I felt was pretty safe from the start!

Romania was really interesting with mixing "Rap & Yodeling", so that sort of thing is what makes Eurovision great, so I'm glad they got through.

Honestly. Austria, Denmark and Belarus I do not understand how they got to the finals.
Only one I really missed and why I got a 6/7 was because I thought FYR. Macedonia would get through. Well, she at least got married tonight (propoesd)

Really looking forward to the finals now!
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.