YesNoOk

Beginner’s guide to pixel art (Read 36881 times)

Started by O Ilusionista, July 21, 2018, 12:21:10 am
Share this topic:
Beginner’s guide to pixel art
#1  July 21, 2018, 12:21:10 am
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
Pedro Medeiros, a very skilled pixel artist, had started a beginner's guide to pixel art.

How to start making pixel art
An absolute beginner’s guide

This is a little article on how to start making pixel art, intended for those who are really starting out or never even opened a pixel art software. For now I’ll cover only the very basics, how to create a file, setup the canvas size, and work with a color limit.

This article was supported by Patreon! If you like what I’m doing here, please consider supporting the author there :)

Before Starting
Before jumping into pixel art, remember: pixel art is just another art medium, like guache, oil painting, pencil, sculpture or its close cousin mosaic. To make good pixel art you need to be able to make good drawings. In general, this means studying anatomy, perspective, light and shadow, color theory and even art history, as these are all essential for making good pixel art.

Tools
You don’t need anything fancy to make good pixel art, and you can do fine even with just a good mouse and free software. My setup includes a small Wacom pen tablet, a good mouse, a good keyboard and my favorite software is Aseprite, but you should use whatever your’re most comfortable with.

Here’s a list of software commonly used for pixel art:

Aseprite: Great professional editor with many time-saving features (paid)
GraphicsGale: A classic, used in many games. It’s a little complex, but full of great features (free)
Piskel: Free online pixel art editor (free)
Photoshop: Powerful image editor not intended to make pixel art but you can set it up to use it (paid)

===========================================================================
Read the full article here: https://medium.com/@saintjust/how-to-start-making-pixel-art-2d1e31a5ceab
===========================================================================

A compilation of all this great tutorials could be found here http://blog.studiominiboss.com/pixelart
Re: Beginner’s guide to pixel art
#2  July 21, 2018, 12:47:14 am
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
Man, this was a really good find! Thanks for sharing.
#3  November 04, 2019, 11:44:39 pm
    • USA
I know this particular thread is very old, but I would like to share a very cool Youtube Channel I found. This is Luis Zino and he makes videos on Pixel art and methods that people do when making them.

Here's a video he did about "subpixel" animation with sprites, It's very well made and explains the concept well!

I was able to use the information that he talked about to help out with my edits. It helped to make the hair look alot more lively and bouncy.
#4  November 05, 2019, 12:09:35 am
  • It's the end for villians
    • Mexico
    • www.instagram.com/Motivational_Saiyan/?hl=en
Thank you so much bro this really helps
Buy DBZ / Street Fighter shirts here. Compra camisetas de DBZ y King of Fighters aqui. www.instagram.com/Motivational_Saiyan/?hl=en