YesNoOk

Last game you finished + 4 lines review.  (Read 1159084 times)

Started by Santtu, May 30, 2010, 07:06:56 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Last game you finished + 4 lines review.
#2381  September 29, 2018, 10:28:28 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Donut County

An interesting, if short, indie game with a sort of a reverse Katamari Damacy vibe;  You control a mobile hole in the ground with the goal of dropping all of the objects in each level into said hole.  The story is delivered mostly through flashbacks, with residents of the town all gathered at the bottom of the hole sharing stories of how they wound up there and trying to figure out how to get themselves and their town back to the surface.

As a physics puzzle game, it's quite fun.  The hole starts out tiny and the more objects that fall in the bigger it gets, allowing you to swallow up more stuff.  A lot of the challenge comes from knowing how to strategically position the hole, or dropping certain environmental objects in the right order.  Eventually you get the ability to launch things back out of the hole to further manipulate the game physics.

The writing is where the game really shines.  The main character, BK, is a selfish, asshole raccoon who was the one directly controlling the hole until he ended up falling in himself, and throughout the story he constantly denies ever having done anything wrong despite it being painfully obvious to everyone else that it's 100% his fault.  Most of the characters are pretty simple archetypes, but they're all likable enough and dialogue has the casual air of a chat room with friends.  Every object dropped into the hole also unlocks its entry in the "Trashipedia" with some pretty funny descriptions.

The only problem with the game is that it's just too short.  The whole thing start to finish is at best two hours long, and it left me wanting more.  But for only 10 bucks or so, that's fine.  The simple controls along with the writing and art style make for a nice, chill experience.
#2382  October 14, 2018, 12:32:57 pm
    • Pakistan
Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 03:38:53 pm by Titanes
#2383  October 14, 2018, 01:29:44 pm
  • Examu Advocate
    • USA
Putting down Kurohyou 2 ended up being a mistake as now I lack the motivation to get back into it. So instead, I played...

Yakuza Kiwami

My first proper Yakuza game. I had a lot more fun with it than I did with Kurohyou. Kiryu was a nice protagonist, being such a wholesome dude despite being former yakuza. We need more people like him.

Combat was fun. Liked the style switching and unlocking all the moves/techniques for them. Didn't like that Dragon style progression was locked behind sidequests, but eh. Kind of mixed on boss fights. Some were really fun to do while others were really annoying (that gun guy and the penultimate fight come to mind). Dealing with people surrounding you can also be annoying. Maybe it's because I was playing on Hard.

Outside of combat, there's a lot of side stuff you can do too. RC racing, mahjong, shogi, bowling, karaoke (rhythm game), etc. It's nice having all these options when you don't want to deal with the story at the moment. Speaking of karaoke, the music in the game is pretty great.

Anyway the game is like $20 new since it's a part of the Playstation Hits label (including the prequel too). No reason not to get it.
#2384  October 25, 2018, 04:20:22 am
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (JP 1.0)

Initially popped this in to test my SFC and make sure it's working, and once again I sure as hell couldn't put it down. This time in Japanese! and with a few extra glitches/exploits as it's the original release. It was weird playing this without being able to read any dialogue but dammit I loved the ride.

10/10
#2385  February 10, 2019, 10:01:16 pm
    • USA
Persona 5

I went into this game with no familiarity with the Persona franchise and no expectations as to what it was about or how it would be.  So I had no idea that I would wind up being so completely blown away by it.  This game is simply fantastic on every single level.  The combat is incredibly deep and nuanced, while at the same time still easy to pick up and approachable.  The graphics are great with a very unique and fully realized aesthetic, and the music is amazing.  Rivers in the Desert is one of the hypest boss fight themes I've ever heard.  The story is really well written, and all of the characters are charming and memorable.

If I had to find any sort of fault with this game I would say that the final two palaces weren't as well designed as the rest, and involve a lot of backtracking through mazes, which make the final stretch of the game feel more drawn out than it needed to be.  But honestly that's a very, very minor complaint when compared to how incredible everything else in the game is.

All told, I can say without hyperbole that this is easily one of the best RPGs I've ever played, and may very well be one my new favorite games of all time.  It's seriously that great.  My first playthrough took a full 100 hours, and I'm genuinely considering going straight back in to New Game Plus to do another run to max out all of the Confidants.
#2386  February 11, 2019, 03:14:53 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
If I can do multiple games I can. These are all on the X Legacy Collection BTW on PS4

Mega Man X
Its clunky as fuck at the start before you get the dash but I still had fun plus I loved the feeling of power you got once you start getting more Heart Tanks, armour upgrades and boss weapons. Plus the Hadoken is way too much fun to use, too bad its requirements are annoying.

Mega Man X2
Felt slightly better now that you start with the dash, and hunting down the X-hunters and getting Zero's remains isn't too hard as long as you're up to taking on the bosses without the right weapons. The X Buster upgrade is fuckin' sensational tho. A multi hit super charge shot and firing the two charge shots one after another? Now that's the good shit. Then you get the Shoryuken and every boss in front of you basically dies. Plus this game just as great music in general. THAT FIRST X-HUNTER STAGE THEME YO

Mega Man X3
It starts pretty hard unless you try to conservatively use Zero as a crutch and even then its only beneficial to not use him til the very end and only if you killed Vile properly early on so you can get the Saber for X. The X Buster Upgrade is kinda rubbish too even with the nifty spread feature. The bosses were okay up til that dick Kaiser Sigma, then he's just annoying unless you have the Gold Armour. And yeah, the collectable Ride Armours are too situational to give a shit about and once you know about the Gold Armour, the powerup chip stations are something you want to straight up avoid like the fuckin' plague. Ah well, at least there's a romhack that makes Zero properly playable and adds a neat save feature.
There was a sig here. Its gone now (thanks photobucket ya fecks)
#2387  April 28, 2019, 02:38:41 pm
Metro 2033 Redux
Artyom is my bae. 10/10
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#2388  May 28, 2019, 11:28:15 pm
  • Here in the madness machine
    • USA
Dark Cloud 2, finally only took 20 years lol,
#2389  June 07, 2019, 09:32:58 pm
Oddworld New and Tasty.
I loved it. But if you're gonna play it without prior knowledge of the series, you will probably end up with the bad ending; just like I did. You need to save atleast half of the Mudukans to get the good ending, so look up a guide for the secret Mudukans rooms.
Fortunately tho, i didn't have replay the entire game to get it (only the last four levels).
Its a great game otherwise. It can get a bit difficult at times but it won't throw anything cheap at you. If you like adventure puzzle games then play it, I'm sure you'll like it too.
10/10
#2390  June 27, 2019, 04:50:39 pm
  • Skateboard Game Enthusiast
  • Slowly but surely!
    • USA
    • joeythetricky.wixsite.com/mugen
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x (2001)

Basically Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 ported to the Xbox exclusively, except with much more. Updated graphics and UI elements, ALL levels from both TH2 and TH1 with a few mediocre extra stages thrown in. Just like the original, it deserves to be played time and time again even after you beat (or even 100%) the game. One of the best ports/remakes available out there.

10/10, of course.

(As a bonus, I have now played every single mainline TH game thanks to me playing this one. :D )

Oh, and this serves as a much better alternative to both THPS HD and THPS5.
Fuck Activision for ruining my childhood.
#2391  December 21, 2019, 01:33:59 pm
Batman Arkham Origins:
Its pretty good. It can get a bit glitchy here and there but nothing game breaking. It's story is okay but has a major flaw* that was a cheap and contrived, and there are a couple of questionable actions a few characters have commited.
The game play is basically Arkham City but expanded a little bit. Most of batman's tools return here, although some are a bit improved (the remote claw). Deathstroke is added in the challenge maps in some versions of the game, and he's very cool to play with.
I liked how some of the story is sprinkled in the side missions, and while some of them are good (Deadshot and Shiva) the majority of them are either mediocre or rehashed from City.
The boss fights are a mixed bag, some of them are really good (Bane and Deathstroke) but the rest are a bit underwhelming.

All in all It's a 7/10 game. It's not as good as the rest of the batman games, but if you're really like them then you should play it.
Spoiler: * (click to see content)
#2392  December 21, 2019, 05:35:17 pm
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
What version did you play on if you don't mind me asking. I played on PS3 and had practically no glitches after getting the patches during my run. From what I heard other versions (especially the Xbox) have it really bad.
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
#2393  December 21, 2019, 07:05:40 pm
The PC version. The cutscenes were very choppy, I had to run it with DirectX 10 to fix it. I'm guessing this is a problem with AMD gpus?
Also, Batman sometimes gets stuck in things and the only way to unstuck him is to to use the grapple.
#2394  December 22, 2019, 01:04:31 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Spoiler: * (click to see content)
I haven't played Origins since it came out, so I don't recall everything, but

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#2395  December 22, 2019, 08:41:00 am
#2396  December 22, 2019, 08:49:07 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
The Batcave in Arkham Origins is the real Batcave, as evidenced by Alfred being physically there in the first place and unquestionably cemented in the Cold, Cold Heart DLC.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#2397  December 23, 2019, 10:22:15 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
#2398  January 02, 2020, 01:42:41 am
    • USA
Shovel Knight:  King of Cards

I still can't believe Yacht Club keeps putting these out for free.  There's enough original content to justify it being sold as a separate game (which I absolutely would have paid for), and yet they're out here just giving it away.  Great addition to an already great game; tight controls, fun new mechanics, and the usual excellent writing.
#2399  January 14, 2020, 03:59:47 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Borderlands 3

been meaning to talk about borderlands 3 since i finished it.

to start.... what a shame about the writing in this game. it ruins something that really improved upon the formula of an already very good franchise. simply put the bad writing of borderlands 2 persisted and got worse. i think its very endemic of the games attempt to top each sequel. bl1 was a very blank slate game, almost conducive to roleplay as you took on the job of a mercenary in a wild west setting. much of the story happened in the periphery. bl2 upped that ante and made you a soldier with a lot riding on you winning a war. you became central to the plot. and bl3 wants you to be a movie star. a mcu style planet hopping guardian of the galaxy.

every hamfisted reference, every dreamworks grinning "sup," every predictable emotional arc and beat just grates on you constantly. whats genuinely funny or touching is buried under an over long bit by the calypso twins about farting on a train or rhys' va failing to sell any of the emotion hes conveying. or an entire, loooooong quest line full of dialogue on "dank memes." like dont get me wrong i am sold on the progressive strides they made on many social issues. but it feels flat on the face of how they tried to compromise and work it into the bro-y 9gag humor of bl2. the whole thing just makes me cringe.

and its a damn shame too. because the gunplay in this game is terrific. jakobs guns, oh man , jakobs guns really got an upgrade in this game. they feel impactful and they feel great to shoot. vladof and dahl guns are sharp and brutal as they needed to be with cool alt firing modes, maliwan and hyperion are still way too strong but have recieved some nifty QOL changes. the game even managed to sell me on tediore guns, which were the most meh guns for me in bl2. and many of the guns, particularly shotguns, look a lot better than the mini fridge units they looked in the previous games.

and like, the level progression kicks ass. no slag to slow down the late game and turn everything into DPS checks (mayhem mode does this and i dont care for it for obvious reasons) and the enemy amount and variety feels fair 80 percent of the time. higher damage output and no need to slag makes element matching less of a chore. the new enemy types are cool, though some feel kinda boring in lategame when they choose to randomly go damage immune. what i like most is the setting changes. traversing planets besides pandora keeps the game feeling fresh. theres plenty to explore thanks to map challenges. and the final act felt like a genuinely good final act. much much better than bl2's final act just imo. as for postgame, theres a lot to sink your teeth into through artifical difficulty modifiers and "raid" dungeons that have replaced the bullet sponge raid bosses of the previous games. (i like this. its a good change.)

i guess my real qualms with the game rn are optimization and graphic wise. even on advanced hardware this games sort of a beast that will dip you down below 60 without fiddling with various settings. its a very obtuse set of dense menus with lots of things you can change, so maybe consult a guide. on an older computer? good luck. you will be lucky to hit 40 fps in a fight. and the facial rigging btw is ugly as sin. otherwise the graphics are a pure upgrade.

so theres so much improvement. its a borderlands game for a modern audience. its just too bad the writers are so tone deaf all they could think of is "write this for a modern audience." it drags the game down. but honestly dont let it stop you from trying if you liked the first two games. it makes no compromises on the gameplay loop and i love it for that.
#2400  January 30, 2020, 03:17:57 pm
    • USA
I have been playing video games for a long time. I think that the first console that I had was a PlayStation One. These days, I prefer to play on PC. The graphics are much better. Some of my favourite games include “The Elder Scrolls” and “Red Dead Redemption 2”. I have recently completed the latter. It contains a cool story mode and the design looks amazing on PC. In regards to gaming projects, Rockstar Games never disappoint! “GTA Online” is also a great video game. It features intense missions.
I download super smash bros brawl game at roms world because this is my favorite game.