YesNoOk

K' (King of Fighters '99, CvTW Version) (UPDATED 8/5/14) (Read 102180 times)

Started by Sean Altly, June 27, 2012, 06:45:25 am
Share this topic:
K' (King of Fighters '99, CvTW Version) (UPDATED 8/5/14)
#1  June 27, 2012, 06:45:25 am
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly

Okay, this one I will honestly need some opinions on. First of all, let's get these two things out of the way:

1. Yes, I am using Dampir's sprite set, which I know a lot of folks don't like. However, I think with a different palette, and some edits here and there by myself, he will look fine and no more out of place than the MVC characters or my original sprites.

2. The "King of Fighters '99" in the topic title just refers to the first game he appeared in. He will not be adhering to just his KoF99 moves.

Which brings me to the opinion part. KoF characters have such varying movesets through the years, that I want to get everyone's thoughts on exactly what should or should not make it into this version of K'. What I have after this is a very tentative movelist. Please let me know if you think I'm forgetting something vital, or if I'm including something that isn't necessary. I'm basing my version on KOD's Ultimate K', since it's open source. Anyway, here goes:

UNIQUE TACTIC

Ignite - S Button
    -Much like Ryu's "Karmic Shift," this move effects K's next attack. However, unlike karmic Shift, which effects only specials and supers, Ignite effects only normals, giving his next normal or command move fire FX, extra damage and more hitstun. Also unlike Ryu's, these can be store dup. With every completed taunt animation, he gets one more stock of "Ignite." So, if you manage to pull off the move 3 or 4 times in a row, it will change the next 3 or 4 normals he does, meaning you can do whole combos while "ignited." I will probably have ti put a cap on this to prevent hugely damaging combos, probably 5 or 6.

COMMAND MOVES

Knee Assault - F+LK
    -A jumping knee attack. Has overhead properties -- for some reason.

Sniper Side - F+HK
    -A sidestep kick with lots of range.

One Inch - F+LP
    -One-inch punch that stuns the opponent.

SPECIAL MOVES

Eins Trigger - QCF+P
    -His classic close-range flame projectile. Here are the follow-ups:
         Blackout - B+LK or HK
         Second Shoot - F+LK
         Second Shell - F+HK
         Narrow Spike - QCB+K

Minute Spike - QCB+K (in air also)
    -K's flying kick attack. Ground version can be followed up with:
         Narrow Spike - QCB+K

Crow Bite - DP+P
    -K's anti-air flaming uppercut. HP version can be followed up with:
         Tsuika Kougeki - F+HK

Air Trigger - QCF+K in air
    -K's weird kick projectile. I am aware some people are not a fan of this move.

Blackout - QCF+K
    -K's sliding/dash teleport type move.

SUPER MOVES

L1 - Heat Drive - QCF+S
    -Sliding explosive strike. Hold S to delay. if delayed to max, it becomes unblockable.

L1 - Heaven Drive - DP+S
    -Shoryureppa-type move with a Tsuika Kougeki at the end.

L3 - Chain Drive - HCB+S
    -K' throws his sunglasses at his opponent, and if they hit, he launches into a vicious flurry of attacks. Since this is a L3, it will end with a modified Heat Drive.

Here are some screens (more in the spoiler blah blah blah):

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Download Last Bout now!
Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 09:09:19 am by Sean Altly
Re: K' (King of Fighters '99, CvTW Version)
#2  June 27, 2012, 06:53:30 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Don't forget that in KOF13 K's Heat Drive had anti projectile properties, not sure how necessary that is here though.
#3  June 27, 2012, 06:53:37 am
    • USA
My only complaint about the sprites, is that he needs those "leathery lines", look at rock for an example, and a few minor retouchings on the face:

for a batter example, compare the KOFXIII sprites of k with the KOFXIII sprites of Ryo/kim Kaphwan.

Aside from that, it looks good!
#4  June 27, 2012, 07:06:51 am
  • #KeepFighting
    • USA
    • facebook.com/dowx20
this is interesting...although i guess the sprite choice is to give it more of a "capcom" feel
Underrated, Never Intimidated
#KeepFighting
teepublic.com/DOWX_20

MDD

#5  June 27, 2012, 07:56:45 am
  • OG Pallette Goon
  • Only here for one night let me put it on ya face
Dampir's sprites are necessary because using KOF sprites would be lol but they still look bad. I'll see what I can do in terms of a palette fix, but he looks like he's going to need better scaling too because he always did look like a fatfuck. Maybe that's just me.
#6  June 27, 2012, 07:59:20 am
Your right, he looks wide for K'. He's pretty fitting though, he's not a deal breaker.
#7  June 27, 2012, 08:11:22 am
the sprites correction looks pretty good if you want my opinion. capcom feel but just better looking in the overall as well.
My stages exhibition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO2YZO7ut5I

Find them at: http://www.trinitymugen.net/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=cat294

You are free to use the materials in the stages I released before 2014. Credits are always appreciated.
#8  June 27, 2012, 09:05:37 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Well, it was either use these sprites and put someone new in this, or put in someone fairly common like Kyo or Iori. I don't think they look that bad, they just don't look that great either. I scaled him down to .96 x-wise, and he looks like this:

Download Last Bout now!
#9  June 27, 2012, 09:21:19 am
    • USA
That honestly looks acceptable to me, dunno what people are butthurt about.  Specially when most of them prolly have POTS Morrigan and her decades old Darkstalkers sprites on their roster lol.
#10  June 27, 2012, 09:58:09 am
  • You ugly! We fix!
I like the sprites. I think they're fitting and, like Sean said, with some minor editing and perhaps a palette swap, he'll look just fine.
These palettes better make me cum rainbows when I see them.

MDD

#11  June 27, 2012, 10:35:18 am
  • OG Pallette Goon
Damn, the scaling helped a lot, because he looks perfectly normal now. Of course that palette change still needs to be done just to seal the deal.
#12  June 27, 2012, 10:39:34 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Sprites are fine for me. Not perfect, but very acceptable.
They'd indeed look better with leather lines and some fixes, nothing Sean can't manage.

Movelist tentative looks fine to me. His important arsenal is there.
#13  June 27, 2012, 10:06:09 pm
they'd be better with leather lines but if you don't do that they're passable enough anyway. i wouldn't worry about it too much
#14  June 27, 2012, 10:21:23 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I think Sniper Side and Knee Assault should switch kicks (ie. F+LK is Sniper Side and Knee Assault is F+HK), like in KOFXI.

Also I'm not sure if K' needs Spot Pile Strike, he already has 3 command moves and Knee Assault is already an overhead.
#15  June 27, 2012, 10:57:45 pm
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Wait, Knee Assault is supposed to be an overhead? But it doesn't look like an overhead at all? That's the only reason I gave him Spot Pile Strike, I thought the Knee Assault just worked like Charlie or Guile's knee or something, just a forward moving knee strike. I really dig that elbow animation though, so I may still use it for something.

Download Last Bout now!
#16  June 27, 2012, 11:04:09 pm
    • USA
Yeah, it's an overhead.     

I really dig that elbow animation though, so I may still use it for something.
Why not use it for his throw then? I think it looks way better than his kick throw.
#17  June 27, 2012, 11:23:34 pm
    • USA
Also I can't see spot pile having much range at all compared to the knee, so it probably wouldn't get much use.
#18  June 27, 2012, 11:26:46 pm
  • Deliverater
    • USA
It wouldn't, but like I said, I didn't know the knee was an overhead or I wouldn't have included both. I already removed Spot Pile from the movelist though.

Also, when I modified the first post, I realized Knee Assault was described as "a humping knee attack." 15 posts and no one pointed that out to me or made any jokes. You guys are slipping.  :P

Download Last Bout now!
#19  June 27, 2012, 11:53:18 pm
  • May as well have a bit of class.
    • USA
You have my sincerest apologies in that regard- I was on my way to work when I noticed that this morning, so I didn't say anything. I can't add much in regards to K', though. I never really played him.
"I should probably call it a night. ...Sure, give me a sword and a throne and we'll make a big thing of it."
#20  June 28, 2012, 12:05:05 am
Yeah I saw that too but I just chuckled and assumed that you meant for it to be that.
#21  June 28, 2012, 12:45:51 am
  • I'm behind you!!!
I can't wait to see his intro with Scorpion :)
#22  June 28, 2012, 12:53:44 am
    • USA
Also, when I modified the first post, I realized Knee Assault was described as "a humping knee attack." 15 posts and no one pointed that out to me or made any jokes. You guys are slipping.  :P

I saw it, but I held my tongue for the sake of maturity.....for once.
#23  June 28, 2012, 02:17:38 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
So, when I first started this project, I discussed the idea of original voice acting for everyone. That was nixed, but I at least want English voice acting for everyone. So, that said, has K' ever had an English voice actor? If so, can anyone point me in the direction of the rips?

Download Last Bout now!
#24  June 28, 2012, 02:23:19 am
    • USA
He has an English VA in the Maximum Impact series. But I dunno if there are any rips of the English voices.
#25  June 28, 2012, 02:25:36 am
    • USA
I have them and I can upload them but... you really don't want to use that  :S

I'll upload it anyway :P
#26  June 28, 2012, 02:26:22 am
    • USA
Yes, he had an English voice in the Maximum Impact series.  There WERE rips of it but I don't know where they are anymore.  It's not a very good voice, but you can listen to it here.
#27  June 28, 2012, 02:36:31 am
    • USA

MDD

#28  June 28, 2012, 02:38:29 am
  • OG Pallette Goon
TBH if I were you i'd get someone to do a completely new voice for him because his MI voice is lol.
#29  June 28, 2012, 02:54:03 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Did he not get an English VA for KoFXIII? I found this thread, which is labeled KoFXIII voices, but the first file is down because of Megaupload, and the temporary hosted one is what I'm pretty sure is KoFXII voices.

I appreciate the MI2 voices, but MDD is right, they're pretty bad. Good quality rips, just bad voice acting.

Download Last Bout now!
#30  June 28, 2012, 03:00:50 am
    • USA
Did he not get an English VA for KoFXIII? I found this thread, which is labeled KoFXIII voices, but the first file is down because of Megaupload, and the temporary hosted one is what I'm pretty sure is KoFXII voices.

I appreciate the MI2 voices, but MDD is right, they're pretty bad. Good quality rips, just bad voice acting.

Its found here, at least that's what it says:

http://dsarena.free.fr/temp/KOFXIII/

#31  June 28, 2012, 03:03:43 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Yeah, that's the one I downloaded that only has 20 or so folders in it, which is why I'm pretty sure it's just KoFXII voices.

EDIT: Scratch that, there's more than 20, I guess I'll go through them and see if one of them is K'.

Download Last Bout now!
#32  June 28, 2012, 03:09:00 am
  • Professional Procrastinator
  • Roman Numerals and Decimals should never mix.
    • USA
K' didn't have a English Voice in XIII only certain characters did if you don't wanna us his MI voice i think i can pull off a voice that's good for him if i have my mic i could do some clips for you to see if you want to use them.
#33  June 28, 2012, 03:11:01 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Ah, okay. Feel free to send some stuff. Just do some random attack sounds and a few of his move names (Trigger, Minute Spike, Crow Bite, etc.) so I can see how they sound.

Download Last Bout now!
#34  June 28, 2012, 03:15:51 am
    • USA
The only English voice actors in KOF XIII are the leftover guys from XII and Mai and Kula. 
#35  June 28, 2012, 03:36:24 pm
  • MUGEN IS MY LIFE /I promise from not to derail.
Nice Pictures of K' Damphir did a great job of converting K into CVS Sprites . Umm.... Sean I think its better if  someone can be the voice for K I mean the MI why don't you hold an audition for his English voice-over?
Or Better if you try KOF XIII version
Esaka rules Beat that.... Or Just Get outta my way
Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 03:42:21 pm by Segatron

MDD

#36  June 28, 2012, 08:15:49 pm
  • OG Pallette Goon
Did you not read the topic at all?
#37  August 05, 2014, 09:08:18 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Just something I've been working on while I'm on a bunch of pain pills for an abscess.

Info from the video:

So I just kind of put this together in a few days because I think the KoFXIII sprites that were converted by Dampir look much better than the ones I was using (also by Dampir).

Due to limited sprite availability, his win poses and intros are pretty, well, limited (though that's KoFXIII's fault). He also lost Sniper Side and his Rising Knee (he doesn't have these in KoFXIII), and his throw was changed to Spot Pile. Sniper Side was replaced by a command normal with pretty much the same function using his Blowback sprites. If I have time in the future, I may sprite the Rising Knee in this style because I feel like he really needs it. Also, I'm aware that he appears to be about 2 pixels lower than the other characters on screen, something I've fixed since recording this video.

His Supers have remained the same, save for the changes that were necessary due to the new sprites. His EX Minute Spike also had to be altered due to the sprites for the second hit of the move not being available. I'm on the fence about adding his Neo Max. The sprites are there and the move looks like it'd be simple to code, but I think I'd need to drop one of his other supers or else it'd be overkill.

Music by WhizzyWhipitWonderful
Stages by JeanBureau, and NoZ.

Download Last Bout now!
Re: K' (King of Fighters '99, CvTW Version) (UPDATED 8/5/14)
#38  August 05, 2014, 03:50:49 pm
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafĂ­o.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Hell yeah,  will this be a separate download or are you updateing the
Full game?
#39  August 05, 2014, 04:07:51 pm
    • Venezuela
    • Blacksight22@Yahoo.Com.Ve
    • Skype - sebastian.osio
Awesome!! Thank you for this update.
About the Neo Max, how about downgrading Chain Drive to lvl 1, and using the Hyper Chain Drive as lvl 3?

DW

#40  August 05, 2014, 05:03:49 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Very nice update. The new sprites mesh a lot better with the overall theme of the game/look.
#41  August 05, 2014, 05:41:40 pm
Glad to see K' in CvTW again. Back in progress or still hiatus?
Feel free to use my account:
Username: GTAguy
Password: imanigger
#42  August 05, 2014, 10:38:37 pm
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Hell yeah,  will this be a separate download or are you updateing the
Full game?
Glad to see K' in CvTW again. Back in progress or still hiatus?

I think I may just release this updated version of K' in the Edits & Addons section since he won't be a full release. Like, it will be a patch that just replaces the old K'. I don't plan on going back to CvTW full time for quite a while, I just had a random itch to work on K' for some reason.

Awesome!! Thank you for this update.
About the Neo Max, how about downgrading Chain Drive to lvl 1, and using the Hyper Chain Drive as lvl 3?

I thought about that since that's how his supers are set up in KoFXIII, with Heaven Drive being the EX version of Crow's Bite, but I'm not sure. I like Heaven Drive's utility in this game and it would need nerfed to be an EX move.

Very nice update. The new sprites mesh a lot better with the overall theme of the game/look.

Yeah I think so too, I think that's why I wanted to update him so badly. I had planned on eventually editing Dampir's old sprites to mesh better, but then he released these and it was a lot easier to change them out, although like I said, he is missing a crucial (IMO) command normal, which I'll have to sprite myself.

Download Last Bout now!
#43  August 05, 2014, 10:49:34 pm
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
I like Heaven Drive's utility in this game and it would need nerfed to be an EX move.
It'd probably just need to be nerfed in the damage department, which isn't really that big a deal considering its bigger use (at least judging from what I'm seeing here) is in its ability to blow through attacks.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#44  August 06, 2014, 02:18:52 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Isn't Heat Drive the one that's designed to blow through attacks? Or is that a main utility of Heaven Drive as well?

Download Last Bout now!
#45  August 06, 2014, 02:21:46 am
  • tired
No, Heat Drive's almost entirely a combo tool (because of its bad invuln). Heaven Drive iirc is more for blowing through attacks.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#46  August 06, 2014, 09:59:09 pm
  • Deliverater
    • USA
I guess I'm just confused, when I think of something that blows through attacks, I think of Heat Drive because it moves so quickly across the screen with one big hit, and when I think of combos, I think of Heaven Drive because it's a Shoryu Reppa-type move with more hits.

Download Last Bout now!
#47  August 06, 2014, 10:03:55 pm
If a full screen attack like Heat Drive could blow through attack (i.e. have good invulnerability) it would kind of be super OP, though. Think Dictator's Final Psycho Crusher / Psycho Break Smasher, that's something that blows through anything, and it's legendary among OP supers. I don't remember much of K' in KoF, but I reckon you can easily trade hits with him against that move, no ?
On the other hand, Heat Drive being practically full screen and very fast and with a large hitbox (AND delayable to time your juggle properly), means it can juggle after nearly anything. It doesn't make the hitcount jump up, but it can chain after anything, it's a sure hit after almost anything, so that's a free super, that's why it's a combo tool.

Meanwhile, a Shouryuu Reppa-type attack will only combo if you're close, it might miss half of its hitcount if the target is too high when you activate it, and as a Shouryuuken-like uppercut, it has the trademark invulnerability that allows it to beat anything (on startup).

last edit = spacing for readability
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 10:13:02 pm by DKDC
#48  August 06, 2014, 10:09:26 pm
  • tired
^ Yeah, pretty much what he said.
#49  August 07, 2014, 04:04:12 am
    • USA
He also lost Sniper Side and his Rising Knee (he doesn't have these in KoFXIII), and his throw was changed to Spot Pile. Sniper Side was replaced by a command normal with pretty much the same function using his Blowback sprites. If I have time in the future, I may sprite the Rising Knee in this style because I feel like he really needs it.
You should talk to Chazzanova, his K' has those sprites edited to go well with the resized XIII sprites; I dunno if they were included with dampir's set.
#50  August 07, 2014, 05:22:57 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Just sent him a PM. I hope he lets me use them. I had started spriting the Knee Assault already but it would really help me out.

Download Last Bout now!
#51  January 20, 2015, 07:16:22 am
    • USA
    • maisonetmatthew@gmail.com
Where's The Download?, Chi.
#52  January 20, 2015, 08:39:21 am
  • There is a demente in everyone!
    • www.dementi.it
you have to go on first page and find the hidden dowload link, then send a request in the request tread for the password, then you can download the char.

But then you need the decripter and only the Black Dragon team has it.