YesNoOk

Flandre Scarlet [UPDATED - 12/09/20] (Read 15833 times)

Started by PlasmoidThunder, May 15, 2019, 02:44:35 am
Share this topic:
Flandre Scarlet [UPDATED - 12/09/20]
#1  May 15, 2019, 02:44:35 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
Whoa hey, so I decided to edit RicePigeon's Flandre.

Spoiler: Video preview (click to see content)

The idea to rework her moveset dates back to early February, but it took a while to plan everything out and subsequently edit it all in, plus a month or so of beta testing and such; also remember to factor in my innate ability to procrastinate like nobody's business.

I'll be brutally honest, while at first I was OK with Flan's moveset, I gradually grew to dislike it over time because to me it just feels like an amalgamation of two completely different characters whose movesets don't really work well together at all, much less on a character who was stated to have unrelenting rushdown and close-range pressure. In short, I found her boring and incredibly linear; that is of course my opinion, so don't take that as fact.

That's enough of me being unnecessarily mean, so here's the changelog:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Download
PlasmoidThunder's Scrapheap

Original
RicePigeon's MUGEN Spot

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 02:04:36 am by PlasmoidThunder
Re: Flandre Scarlet
#2  May 15, 2019, 04:49:32 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
Quick bugfix to sort out an annoying debug error. Please redownload.

#3  May 15, 2019, 05:26:34 am
  • The Illusionary Wanderer
  • I have a dream
    • Vietnam
Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 05:30:29 am by Mr. Giang
#4  May 15, 2019, 09:48:33 am
    • USA
Personally, I still think you should have made a video to go along with this release. People might not be willing to download this Flandre without seeing what she can do that Rice's can't. (Plus, it feels more professional to have a video showcasing the moveset.)
#5  May 18, 2019, 12:45:27 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
Flandre updated. Playtesting against _Data_Drain_ showed off some unintentional stuff that's now been fixed.

- Comet Bow: Effect now disappears if Flandre is hit before leaving the ground.
- Straight Flush: Effect now disappears if Flandre is hit before leaving the ground.
- Secret Barrage "And Then Will There Be None?": Fixed power gains with finisher version.
- Secret Barrage "And Then Will There Be None?": Fixed issue where Flandre would enter the finisher animation despite the opponent surviving the attack.

#6  June 08, 2019, 07:07:29 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
Time for another update. Some of these changes were actually implemented a small while ago for testing purposes, but I forgot to make mention of them.

- Comet Bow: Blockstun decreased by 2f.
- Comet Bow [X ver]: Startup increased by 2f.
- Comet Bow [Y ver]: Hitvels reduced.
- Comet Bow [Y ver]: Recovery increased by 4f.
- Comet Bow [Y ver]: Damage increased (70->90).
- Straight Flush: Fixed inability to counterhit.
- Destruction Arrow: Blockstun decreased by 2f.
- Destruction Arrow: Recovery on hit/whiff increased by 5f, hitvels adjusted to compensate.
- Destruction Arrow: Recovery on block increased by 2f.
- Royal Flush: Y hitvels increased on penultimate hit.
- Forbidden Barrage "Starbow Break": Fixed issues when hitting Helpers and characters when armoured.
- Taboo "Weapon of Mass Destruction": Fixed visual issues during superpause.

#7  June 09, 2019, 12:22:24 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
Fixing one issue has a habit of breaking something else.

- Smacked head against wall. <--- This one's important
- Forbidden Barrage "Starbow Break": Fixed behaviour when the move is guarded that I broke when fixing the other issue.

Please redownload, sorry.

#8  July 09, 2019, 03:11:59 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
There were reports that Flan caused VSelect to crash when loaded, but the version I had on my hard drive didn't do such; the only difference between it and the previous public version was the addition of a dust effect to Royal Flush, though I was originally waiting for something more important or substantial to roll around before releasing the update.

So in essence, I fixed an issue I didn't know existed without intentionally doing so.

- Fixed issue that caused VSelect to crash upon loading Flandre.
- Royal Flush: Added dust effect.

#9  July 09, 2019, 05:58:55 pm
  • 仮面ライダーグランドジオウ
  • The Scavenging Time and Space God
    • USA
So what do you have in plan for further updates? An actual projectile that's not that Psycho Stream clone?
#10  July 09, 2019, 06:36:37 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
Lol I'm not giving Flan any projectiles or any new moves. I was more referring to bugfixes, since bugs have a tendency to show up right after updating; I just figured updating the character solely for an added effect wasn't worth it.

#11  July 09, 2019, 07:33:28 pm
  • 仮面ライダーグランドジオウ
    • USA
Well, uh, I can do it myself. I'll take some junk from his Flandre's to create my own abomination. I also still believe that RicePigeon should look at this.
#12  July 09, 2019, 11:17:07 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
Abomination might be correct considering I feel she's already really good without a reliable projectile and old Flan's Counter Clock was all kinds of stupid, lol :P

Rice knows this exists.

#13  July 10, 2019, 01:01:49 am
  • 仮面ライダーグランドジオウ
    • USA
Well, Destruction Arrow and new Starbow Break, as well as the new Lavatien, are definately more or less like old Flandre, and also Straight Flush being more or less like the Z version of Shockwave without the grab part. Oh, and that its far less complicated and weird with her specials (Starbow Break as a Special? Not right).

You even have any plans to edit some of his other characters (or even make a RP-styled character)?
#14  July 10, 2019, 01:45:59 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
Nope. The only reason I edited her is because I main Flan and gradually became dissatisfied with her moveset not meshing particularly well, which subsequently made her a bit boring to play as compared to other GR characters like Reimu or Mima. The only other character I feel could do with a rework is Chen (who coincidentally is also an amalgamation), but I wouldn't know where to start.

I have ideas for a couple of GR-styled characters, but the sprites simply don't exist or aren't what I'd consider usable. I'm not going to go into it since this isn't the place for that and I don't want people stealing my ideas.

#15  July 10, 2019, 02:15:19 am
  • 仮面ライダーグランドジオウ
    • USA
Alright, tell me what your ideas are or at least how you knew to make such a high-quality edit. Almost feels like 2 different characters.
#16  July 10, 2019, 02:16:29 am
  • The Illusionary Wanderer
  • I have a dream
    • Vietnam
#17  July 10, 2019, 04:28:55 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
This.

But to answer your more on-topic question, I planned out Flan's revamped moveset by breaking apart what made base Flan good and what didn't. First and foremost, my goal was not to completely redesign Flan, but to take her intended concept (unrelenting rushdown glass cannon) and flesh it out so that she felt more fun to play as without completely alienating those who were used to the original, hence why she can still do the same combos.

It was obvious Catadioptric had to go since I felt it was a detriment to Flan's otherwise rushdown-oriented attributes due to it providing literally no functional purpose in the corner (jumping into the corner meant none of the followups could actually connect with the opponent, and jumping to the wall all the way behind you gave the opponent the breathing room they needed to escape) and basically becoming useless once the opponent figured out how to deal with it; out of its followups, there was only two that really saw practical use: Straight Flush and Cranberry Trap, so after mulling over ways to somehow retain them (including a brief period where Flan had M. Bison's Death Flutter, which I'd named Calamity Flight), I figured I'd make Straight Flush its own Special and give Flan an air grab.

Starbow X was frequently a point of contention in the THGR server, hence why it kept seeing nerfs like velocity decreases and increased recovery frames on block, but in reality the move was very much a one-and-done deal that served the sole purpose of bypassing projectiles and didn't realistically help with her approach unless the opponent had their back against the wall, nor could it be used in combos whatsoever, so I made it a Hyper, whereas Starbow Y was all kinds of useless outside of the brief period where Flan turned to face the opponent if they were in the corner. Since Calamity Flight and its three versions didn't work out, I essentially tasked myself with coming up with a move that allowed Flan to get around projectiles while serving more of a purpose than Starbow X without being as polarising, and the end result was Comet Bow (and even that ended up causing minor issue, hah); it gets around projectiles just like Starbow X, (somewhat) aids in approach since both versions go fixed distances, and can be comboed out of (moreso X than Y, but at least you can cancel it into a Hyper unlike Starbow).

Since Straight Flush launches upwards and clearly sets up for an air combo, it was mighty disappointing that Flan had no real air combos outside of an air chain, which (due to j.5Z's downward knockback) she couldn't do anything out of, so I changed her j.5Z into j.2Z and gave her a new j.5Z she could combo with that also halts her momentum before recoiling her back slightly, which can be used to bait moves or control her approach (since she tends to zip around everywhere); before even adding Destruction Arrow, she could now do Straight Flush -> j.5X -> j.5Y -> j.5Z -> 5Z -> Destroyer Claw in the corner.

Destruction Arrow was planned from the start as I wanted to improve her air combo game and give her a move she could use in the air to approach with. Didn't have to think too hard about this one, but I didn't want to make the move so good that getting in became trivial, as I wanted to retain that aspect of the original character.

Destroyer Claw and Royal Flush were kept almost completely the same as they already worked perfectly well, though the change to Royal Flush's motion was to make it more reliable to activate.

As for the Hypers, Four of a Kind was scrapped since Starbow effectively replaced it, though it's interesting to note that the excessive amount of hits FoaK did resulted in fantastic combo damage even when fully scaled, but it's likely this is why Flan's Specials all scaled pretty hard in comparison to other characters', which resulted in Laevatein being utterly worthless in combos. Because Starbow also kinda served the same purpose as Laevatein (as in, projectile inv and a midscreen combo ender), I reworked it into a stationary reversal with startup inv similar to that of Reimu's Omnidirectional Demon Binding Circle and pretty good range, but is incredibly punishable in contrast to the original Laevatein.

I originally had no intention of changing WMD since I figured it was fine as-is, but that was before I noticed how high its raw damage was, so that was significantly dropped to compensate for ATWTBN's retooling; on that note, I had considered keeping ATWTBN intact as well and making it an always-available Last Word, instead either re-introducing Four of a Kind as the other selectable Last Word or creating an entirely new one based on old Flan's Q.E.D., but people had suggested to Rice in the past to make ATWTBN a normal Last Word with a finisher animation on KO, owing to its polarising nature of either being impractical or way too good a punish (not helped by a combo involving Straight Flush that allowed Flan to bypass the Life restriction and true combo into it) so that influenced the decision somewhat.

tl;dr:
Figure out why the character isn't good, take it apart, and determine what should be kept, what needs changing, and what the character should have.

Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 11:38:05 am by PlasmoidThunder
#18  July 10, 2019, 05:21:58 am
  • 仮面ライダーグランドジオウ
    • USA
This.

But to answer your more on-topic question, I planned out Flan's revamped moveset by breaking apart what made base Flan good and what didn't. First and foremost, my goal was not to completely redesign Flan, but to take her intended concept (unrelenting rushdown glass cannon) and flesh it out so that she felt more fun to play as without completely alienating those who were used to the original, hence why she can still do the same combos.

It was obvious Catadioptric had to go since I felt it was a detriment to Flan's otherwise rushdown-oriented attributes due to it providing literally no functional purpose in the corner (jumping into the corner meant none of the followups could actually connect with the opponent, and jumping to the wall all the way behind you gave the opponent the breathing room they needed to escape) and basically becoming useless once the opponent figured out how to deal with it; out of its followups, there was only two that really saw practical use: Straight Flush and Cranberry Trap, so after mulling over ways to somehow retain them (including a brief period where Flan had M. Bison's Death Flutter, which I'd named Calamity Flight), I figured I'd make Straight Flush its own Special and give Flan an air grab.

Starbow X was frequently a point of contention in the THGR server, hence why it kept seeing nerfs like velocity decreases and increased recovery frames on block, but in reality the move was very much a one-and-done deal that served the sole purpose of bypassing projectiles and didn't realistically help with her approach unless the opponent had their back against the wall, nor could it be used in combos whatsoever, so I made it a Hyper, whereas Starbow Y was all kinds of useless outside of the brief period where Flan turned to face the opponent if they were in the corner. Since Calamity Flight and its three versions didn't work out, I essentially tasked myself with coming up with a move that allowed Flan to get around projectiles while serving more of a purpose than Starbow X without being as polarising, and the end result was Comet Bow (and even that ended up causing minor issue, hah); it gets around projectiles just like Starbow X, (somewhat) aids in approach since both versions go fixed distances, and can be comboed out of (moreso X than Y, but at least you can cancel it into a Hyper unlike Starbow).

Since Straight Flush launches upwards and clearly sets up for an air combo, it was mighty disappointing that Flan had no real air combos outside of an air chain, which (due to j.5Z's downward knockback) she couldn't do anything out of, so I changed her j.5Z into j.2Z and gave her a new j.5Z she could combo with that also halts her momentum before recoiling her back slightly, which can be used to bait moves or control her approach (since she tends to zip around everywhere); before even adding Destruction Arrow, she could now do Straight Flush -> j.5X -> j.5Y -> j.5Z -> 5Z -> Destroyer Claw in the corner.

Destruction Arrow was planned from the start as I wanted to improve her air combo game and give her a move she could use in the air to approach with. Didn't have to think too hard about this one, but I didn't want to make the move so good that getting in became trivial, as I wanted to retain that aspect of the original character.

Destroyer Claw and Royal Flush were kept almost completely the same as they already worked perfectly well, though the change to Royal Flush's motion was to make it more reliable to activate.

As for the Hypers, Four of a Kind was scrapped since Starbow effectively replaced it, though it's interesting to note that the excessive amount of hits FoaK did resulted in fantastic combo damage even when fully scaled, but it's likely this is why Flan's Specials all scaled pretty hard in comparison to other characters', which resulted in Laevatein being utterly worthless in combos. Because Starbow also kinda served the same purpose as Laevatein (as in, projectile inv and a midscreen combo ender), I reworked it into a stationary reversal with startup inv similar to that of Reimu's Omnidirectional Demon Binding Circle and pretty good range, but is incredibly punishable in contrast to the original Laevatein.

I originally had no intention of changing WMD since I figured it was fine as-in, but that was before I noticed how high its raw damage was, so that was significantly dropped to compensate for ATWTBN's retooling; on that note, I had considered keeping ATWTBN as-in and making it an always-available Last Word, instead either re-introducing Four of a Kind as the other selectable Last Word or creating an entirely new one based on old Flan's Q.E.D., but people had suggested to Rice in the past to make ATWTBN a normal Last Word with a finisher animation on KO, owing to its polarising nature of either being impractical or way too good a punish (not helped by a combo involving Straight Flush that allowed Flan to bypass the Life restriction and true combo into it) so that influenced the decision somewhat.

tl;dr:
Figure out why the character isn't good, take it apart, and determine what should be kept, what needs changing, and what the character should have.

Ah, nice to explain the process. And that explains why there was sprites for both a spellcard and text for Q.E.D.
#19  September 02, 2019, 06:45:16 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
Going under the assumption the global changes for GR characters have been finalised...
- [System] Fixed an issue where the tech recovery wasn't using all two-punch button combinations.
- [System] Miscellaneous common state fixes and adjustments.
- [System] Fixed various timing issues pertaining to Spellcard effects.
- [System] Opponents will now always go into the air recovery anim at the same time as the reset state.
- [System] Reset landing now grants opponents increased full invulnerability (2f->3f) and 6f extra grab invulnerability.
- [System] Added numerous state numbers that were missing from the tick fix code.
- [System] Adjusted head and mid positions.
- 5z: Recovery increased by 1f.
- 5z: Hurtboxes adjusted during recovery frames.
- 2z: Recovery decreased by 2f.
- Throw: Opponent no longer affects camera movement during the aerial version.
- Comet Bow: Blockstun decreased by 2f.
- Comet Bow: Hitvels reduced.
- Comet Bow [X ver]: Projectile invulnerability removed.
- Comet Bow [X ver]: Recovery decreased by 4f.
- Comet Bow [Y ver]: No longer hits overhead.
- Comet Bow [Y ver]: Startup decreased by 2f.
- Comet Bow [Y ver]: Recovery decreased by 6f.
- Destruction Arrow: Increased the interval between the ring effects being drawn.
- Destruction Arrow: Hitvels adjusted.

Re: Flandre Scarlet [UPDATED - 11/10/19]
#20  October 12, 2019, 02:20:32 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
Once again following the latest updates to the other GR characters...
- [System] Juggle system now functions independently of M.U.G.E.N's default juggle system.

That should be everything for now.

Re: Flandre Scarlet [UPDATED - 16/10/19]
#21  October 16, 2019, 10:33:06 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
- [System] Updated command input detection in regards to turning.
- Taboo "Laevatein": Added effect at the end of the final swing.

Here is that effect.

Re: Flandre Scarlet [UPDATED - 30/08/20]
#22  August 30, 2020, 09:19:52 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
It's been a while, but then I actually forgot to post about an update I made a few months ago. Rice has made global changes to the system, so I had to implement them, but also featured is a fix to Royal Flush as well as a few slight nerfs based on feedback and my own observations. Not mentioned is a change to one of her win poses because I didn't deem it significant enough.

=====================================
08/30/20 - Version 2020.08.30

- [System] All combos now apply a one-time 75% prorate for the second attack onward.
- [System] Throw tech window increased (7f->15f).
- [System] Tech recovery command changed to hold x/y/z before hitting ground. Can now tech left or right.
- Ground Dash velocities adjusted.
- 2x: Hit velocity changes from 2020.05.28 reverted.
- 2x: Hitbox size slightly decreased.
- 2z: Hit velocity on block increased.
- j.5x: Altered momentum when cancelled from a Ground Dash.
- j.5x: Hitstun & Blockstun reduced by 1f.
- j.5x: Active frames adjusted (3(6)3->2(4)2).
- j.5x: Hitpause increased.
- j.5y: Altered momentum when cancelled from a Ground Dash.
- j.5y: Startup increased by 1f.
- j.5z: Altered momentum when cancelled from a Ground Dash.
- j.5z: Startup increased by 1f.
- j.5z: Hit velocity on block decreased.
- j.2z: Altered momentum when cancelled from a Ground Dash.
- j.2z: Startup increased by 1f.
- Throw: Fixed IKEMEN-exclusive bug.
- Throw: Removed fall parameter glitch.
- Throw: Hitbox size decreased.
- Air Throw: Altered momentum when cancelled from a Ground Dash.
- Air Throw: Fixed IKEMEN-exclusive bug.
- Air Throw: Removed fall parameter glitch.
- Air Throw: Hitbox size decreased.
- Destroyer Claw: Damage adjusted (110/120/130->100/120/140), block damage adjusted (22/24/26->20/24/28).
- Destroyer Claw: Proration multiplier decreased (75%->80%).
- Destruction Arrow: Hit velocity on block decreased.
- Royal Flush: Fixed an issue where the first hit didn't apply proration and the final hit applied proration twice. Damage values adjusted to compensate, though the total damage is unchanged.
- Forbidden Barrage "Starbow Break": Damage decreased (227->221), block damage decreased (47->44).
- Forbidden Barrage "Starbow Break": Recoil velocities when colliding with the screen edge increased.
- Forbidden Barrage "Starbow Break": Target hitpause on final hit decreased.

05/28/20 - Version 2020.05.28

- 5x: Hitvels reduced (4.5 -> 4).
- 2x: Hitvels reduced (4.5 -> 4).
- 2y: Blockstun reduced by 2f.
- Taboo "Laevatein": Fixed a hitvel issue when used against armoured opponents.

Re: Flandre Scarlet [UPDATED - 12/09/20]
#23  September 13, 2020, 02:04:01 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
Previous update introduced a few bugs, hah. Air throw can now be teched, which is a thing as of the latest character updates.
- Air Throw: Fixed inability to air tech.
- Air Throw: Fixed an issue where the opponent would enter the wrong state when knocked away.
- Air Throw: Opponent now faces Flandre when knocked away.
- Taboo "Laevatein": Fixed debug errors.