YesNoOk

2D Artist Needed for Long Term, Contracted RevShare Project (Read 4636 times)

Started by micahld, July 08, 2017, 10:29:58 pm
Share this topic:
2D Artist Needed for Long Term, Contracted RevShare Project
#1  July 08, 2017, 10:29:58 pm
    • USA
Weapons Grade Studios is a small, international indie dev studio currently working on a competitive 2D fighter and MetroidVania action-puzzle platformer called Evolver. We are currently seeking a skilled artist to join our team as we move out of our pre-alpha/proof of concept phase and into a true Alpha build of the game.

(A demo reel of Augment Bursts, a powerful instant kill combo unique for each character)

Evolver is a set in a gritty, dystopian, solar-cyber punk society. The game play will be violent, intense, and brutal with a campaign story to match. Great examples of the mood (though not necessarily the style) we want to capture and deliver to the audience include:

- O'Ren Ishii's Origin Story
- Linkin Park's Break the Habit (the animation, not so much the music)
- A Serious House on Serious Earth

We've had several artists on the project since it's inception 2 years ago, and as a result, we've been able to construct a vibrant and viable project that will capitalize on the growing demand and consumption of fighting games as well as create a truly unique experience for the player. However, the artists we've had thus far didn't fully grasp or didn't have time for the amount of effort the project requires.

(Some recent additions to the game using mugen resources)

Each character has 3 fighting styles, and each fighting style has 2 stances, light and heavy. Each stance consists of a string (generally 1- 3 attacks in succession) and a special move. There are 16 characters to be animated which means not including standing, running, jumping, dashing, and other non attacking animations, each character needs an average of 2 attacks and 1 special, so 3 times an average of 8 frames is 24 frames per stance, which each of 16 characters has 6 stances, so 6x24x16 means over 2000 frames of animation to be completed in the next 2 years from attacks alone. All in all it'd be about 4800 frames for the playable characters, and around another 500 for npc's including np-enemies.

While these figures can seem daunting, it is not our goal for a single artist to complete the entire project (this would required a minimum of 6 entirely completed frames every day for the next 2 years, no breaks no holidays). Our goal here is to recruit a talented artist to help push the product's marketability as advertising and branding become more and more crucial, as well as branch the game into it's first true phase of completion, a mobile version of the game's Single Player Survival mode.

If hired, your responsibilities would include:
  • Animating characters' attacks, movements, etc;
  • Creating an immersive and tangible atmosphere through character design and frame work
  • Discussing and planning character design animations based on the needs of the game
  • Completing one character each 30 day  period to the best of your abilities
  • (not a strict rule; quality > quantity)

Compensation will primarily come from the RevShare agreement once the mobile app is completed, but a small stipend can be negotiated to cover the time before the product launches.

If you're interested, please post here, PM me, or use the contact form on our website, and I'll go over the details of the project including more about the characters, the game world, and how we plan to turn a profit in the increasingly dense indie game scene.
Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 11:54:10 pm by Speedpreacher
Re: 2D Artist Needed for Long Term, Contracted RevShare Project
#2  July 09, 2017, 11:54:20 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
One character in 30 days (especially with those frame counts) doesn't seem very likely. As my favorite site ever says:

a character in pixel art would take a professional artist about two hours per frame (four frames per day), at a salary of $20-$30 per hour. So a character with 500 frames of animation could initially cost $20,000 – $30,000, but then the cost of fine-tuning and reworking the animations to balance gameplay can actually double the price by the end.

Ignoring the whole money thing, finishing one character in one month with that many frames seems very unlikely without a full-on team of animators working full time (as in, animating for this game would be their full time job).

You also haven't really shown what style you want the character sprites in. That can also be a huge factor in what time/cost.

EDIT: Also most artists must be paid upfront. Promising profits from potential sales isn't very promising.
Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 12:00:09 pm by Jango
#3  July 11, 2017, 05:27:13 pm
    • USA
Thanks for the input! You've given me a lot to reconsider. That said, would you be interested in trying the game?
#4  July 13, 2017, 03:58:33 pm
    • USA
One character in 30 days (especially with those frame counts) doesn't seem very likely. . .

The website won't let me respond to your PM; if you PM your email, we can chat that way.

#5  July 13, 2017, 05:31:29 pm
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
If you require my assistance, please feel free to contact me on Discord: 2DMirage#5299
Commissions/Requests are closed. Please do not ask.
#6  July 13, 2017, 06:14:41 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
#7  July 13, 2017, 06:28:17 pm
    • USA
Oh you're right; was a different user. My mistake!

Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 06:30:33 pm by micahld
#8  July 13, 2017, 07:05:00 pm
Unless you have 10 posts here you can't PM any user. This is done to prevent spam from possible bot accounts/people who wanted to advertise their site to other people via PM. And trust me, it happened. ;)