YesNoOk

Project 'Suaveness' (Read 7301 times)

Started by Rolento, March 02, 2013, 12:54:47 am
Share this topic:
Project 'Suaveness'
#1  March 02, 2013, 12:54:47 am
  • Figuring things out, one sprite at a time.
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com

Just what has that Suave Dude been doing all these years during KFM's poorly guided search?

The basis for this particular project is actually a bit of commission work; I was contacted by one individual who was interested in having a Suave-Punching bag of sorts based around the single existing sprite made by Elecbyte ages ago. Then I set up an intro. Then animated the stance a bit. Now, it's a full fledged project with some in progress storyboarding, movelist planning and some discussions being made with a voice actor I know to provide some suave dialogue to go with it.

----------------------
In terms of game play mechanics, the plan is to set up an advanced version of the gameplay system that has been established for KFM, which will be fairly recognizable due to resembling the format used in King of Fighters games.
  • 4 button gameplay, with the latter two acting as shortcut keys for functions like dodging, knockdown, etc
  • EX Moves, Hyper Moves and Max Hypers (think equivalent to SDM/HSDM)
  • Robert to KFM's Ryo: Where KFM's moves are clearly more fist/palm based, Suave Dude will have a more kick oriented moveset to act as a foil. In terms of flexibility and linking, Ken Masters and Kim Kaphwan are also being looked at for sources of inspiration.
  • This gun? Just a cigarette lighter: Just to get it out in the open now, there are no current plans for Suave Dude to use his gun. There is a greater focus on setting things up so he is actually a capable enough fighter on his own merits, and I personally feel having to find excuses to incorporate the gun really acts as a bit of a cop-out.

In terms of current progress as of the time of this posting, Suave Dude has working versions of his required get-hits either done or just in need of cleanup in place, with walking and jumping animations currently under progress, putting him fairly close to the punching bag status that the initial commission was for. Not going to put a concrete date down for a release, but I am hoping to get a playable build for testing purposes available sometime around April.

GLB

Re: Project 'Suaveness'
#2  March 02, 2013, 01:01:11 am
    • network.mugenguild.com/glb/
Well this is a nice surprise. Good luck on this project! I'm following.  :)
#3  March 02, 2013, 01:04:40 am
  • stillRetired.
  • Formerly Known As Genesis
    • USA
    • www.mediafire.com/folder/7j1slkpa7lm0w/Public_Works

DW

#4  March 02, 2013, 02:48:27 am
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Maybe Bristol Weller from Groove on Fight could be used as inspiration as well for Suave Dude? Seems befitting from what I've read of your goal for him. Probably could even help with incorporating gun usage if you possibly may consider it down the road. Looks and sounds good. Looking forward to progress on him.
#5  March 02, 2013, 02:56:37 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
I kinda like the idea of him not using the gun since it makes him look more like a sleazy coward lol.  At the very least I think he should pistol whip people with it for a throw animation.  You can make him KFM's foil in that way too, KFM has a regular old throw, Suave Dude can have a mash throw like Joe or Dhalsim.
#6  March 02, 2013, 03:08:15 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Will his coding have notes and such to help people in development? I think using the gun for a single shot super might be useful to teach coding projectiles. But if he won't teach then I don't see a reason for him to use the gun either.
#7  March 02, 2013, 03:22:05 am
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • to hell with this site, find me at mffa or w/e
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/
i kinda think he should -sparingly- use the gun like the aforementioned bristol and not like gunner/trigger or anything. in fact yeah his current set-up does resemble him a bit what with the mention of centering around kicking and all

I kinda like the idea of him not using the gun since it makes him look more like a sleazy coward lol.

i also like the idea of him being cowardly too, goes along nicely with what he does in the 'story' (also just came off of an hnk bender so there's that too)
#8  March 02, 2013, 03:45:02 am
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
Maybe Bristol Weller from Groove on Fight could be used as inspiration as well for Suave Dude? Seems befitting from what I've read of your goal for him. Probably could even help with incorporating gun usage if you possibly may consider it down the road. Looks and sounds good. Looking forward to progress on him.
Seconding this. Bristol would be a really good source for ideas on how to have him fight considering his whole idea of gameplay.
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
#9  March 02, 2013, 07:50:54 am
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
I had heard that name before, and watching some videos from the game does give quite a few ideas. Thanks for the suggestion.
#10  March 02, 2013, 09:55:00 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
You could even Check out Choujin's Bristol directly for a first hand experience.
#11  March 02, 2013, 10:34:37 am
  • "Za Warudo" user
    • Russia
    • www.youtube.com/user/YagamiRus
Following this for sure.
As for the gun - I think he should be able to use it. Of course not spam shots, but at least as a super move.
#12  March 02, 2013, 10:35:38 am
  • StormEX
  • | Content Creator | Gamer | Programmer |
    • USA
    • Twitch.tv/ZayOsirisGaming
I see big things happening here! Good luck to you, rolento! :2thumbsup:
#13  March 02, 2013, 05:48:45 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
He can use the gun to hit people with it, since he is a sissy that can't punch anyway.
#14  March 02, 2013, 06:17:00 pm
  • Back to the Beginnings
    • https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
===My discord servers===
Unlimited Force HQ: https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Mega Man Megamix Engine Help Server: https://discord.gg/Wjm9GYU

Touhou database (by Ryouchi):
http://mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
you are all small and can't grow manly sideburns
#15  March 02, 2013, 06:45:22 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
Well, since Kung Fu Man doesn't have a voice, I think Suave shouldn't have as well.
#16  March 02, 2013, 08:52:49 pm
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/
Basically, KFM has a voice. One only, for his death cry.

Shit
#17  March 02, 2013, 10:19:32 pm
  • Back to the Beginnings
    • https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Given by that, Suave should use the exact same voice! XD
===My discord servers===
Unlimited Force HQ: https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Mega Man Megamix Engine Help Server: https://discord.gg/Wjm9GYU

Touhou database (by Ryouchi):
http://mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
you are all small and can't grow manly sideburns
#18  March 02, 2013, 10:19:50 pm
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Cybaster: I'll put his version through the paces then. Thanks.
Magma Dragoon MK II: Technically he does if you count the short grunts just as MotorRoach covered. KFM's own voice issues may have to be resolved at a later time, along with a few other details.
TDS: Don't immediately foresee anything overly complex in terms of coding just yet that would warrant the extra commentary, but it is too early to call just yet. If there is any process work to be shown, it will actually probably be dealing with the sprite work for the first bit at least; got to set up some more pixel art content for the youtube channel one way or another. Hah!

Regarding the gun issue, if there was to be any inclusion of the gun, Bristol would serve as a good example, aka it would be used very sparingly at best. What I will say is that I have a very specific idea of how it could be done, but that won't be divulged just yet.

#19  March 02, 2013, 10:23:59 pm
    • USA
#20  March 02, 2013, 10:57:53 pm
    • USA
Hm... This could be interesting...

Also... For the gun, you could always make it a super. Or, make it part of his intro. Making it clear he doesn't even need it to defeat the foe. Chuckling, then tossing it away.

It might also be interesting if he had a boss mode AI for when he's CPU controlled, giving him bossish traits. This way, Kung-Fu Man could have a worthy final showdown.
#21  March 02, 2013, 11:02:11 pm
  • i'm a gay trans lady
    • USA
#22  March 02, 2013, 11:05:35 pm
  • SNK is life
Suaveness indeed.  I concurr with those comments about the dialogues being kept to a minimum, to fit KFM. He should totally have a seriously villainesque evil laugh, like Red Skull from that 90's Avengers beat'em up.

I'll dust off and remake that sketched intro I was making for him a few years back, but I'd like some ideas from you guys to see what would be SD's side of the story, like motives to steal KFM's girl and what he actually planned to do with her.

Hell, I'd even re-write an ending storyboard for KFM while I'm at it, to give him some closure :beam:  let me know your ideas guys ;)
#23  March 02, 2013, 11:15:48 pm
    • USA
You should Walt. You totally should.
#24  March 02, 2013, 11:19:23 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Suave dude seems to be a mix of designs representing the eighties mega villain, he has cool shades, he is suave, he took your girlfriend, he can make evil clones!
Keeping stuff in that line will make it golden, kfm is the typical martial artist , he should be the typical evil evil villain.
In terms of justifications for what he was doing i think it should kept light and funny.
Maybe ending up with a reveal that he didnt kidnap her, she is his boss. ( leaving then the storyboard ending with a comment on how she was nowhere to be seen because no one has made her for mugen yet )
#25  March 02, 2013, 11:22:29 pm
    • USA
Suaveness indeed.  I concurr with those comments about the dialogues being kept to a minimum, to fit KFM. He should totally have a seriously villainesque evil laugh, like Red Skull from that 90's Avengers beat'em up.

I'll dust off and remake that sketched intro I was making for him a few years back, but I'd like some ideas from you guys to see what would be SD's side of the story, like motives to steal KFM's girl and what he actually planned to do with her.

Hell, I'd even re-write an ending storyboard for KFM while I'm at it, to give him some closure :beam:  let me know your ideas guys ;)

Plot twist. There was never a kidnapping. It was an elaborate breakup plan by KFM's girlfriend. I mean, the man's name has Suave in it... Need I say more? KFM just wasn't cutting it for her!

...I kid. I kid. And I agree, he shouldn't talk. His voice should be simple. Just a KO sound, and MAYBE an into, like that laugh you mentioned.

Should be interesting to see his side of the story.
#26  March 03, 2013, 12:18:45 am
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Iced: What did I tell you about talking about the evil clone? No one is supposed to know about the plans for him yet!

Re: Voice work - What good is a bad guy who can't gloat? Minimal dialogue might work for a generic kung fu guy with no describable personality who doesn't even see to bother to open his eyes ever, but the bad guy has to have more character to him unless he's an over the top kung fu type himself. There doesn't need to be a book's worth of dialogue, but some dialogue is warranted if for no other reason than it fits the cliche he's built upon.

He should totally have a seriously villainesque evil laugh, like Red Skull from that 90's Avengers beat'em up.
Funny you should mention that...
#27  March 03, 2013, 02:00:56 am
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
Suave Dude is in love with KFM's girlfriend. The twist is that he kidnapped har to create a clone of her for himself.
#28  March 03, 2013, 02:14:54 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
THANKS FOR SPOILING THE ENDING MOTHERFUCKERS   :grrr:

Anyway, does nyabody remember/has the pictures elecbyte posted when they made the mugen date simulator website ?
#29  March 03, 2013, 02:42:48 am
Using the gun only for level 3 hypers...

Using mostly kicks... a la kim kapwam

throwing a cigarette butt towards the defeated enemy...

using charged moves guile style... just to make him opposite to KFM fighting style

KFM is kind of shotoklone, lets make Suave Dude use something more streetwise, fighting dirty, groin kicks when close, throwing dust toward enemies face with a kick to the ground... OTG moves on downed oponents, I think you get what kind of fighter suave dude is.

an especial intro against KFM is required, of course.

chains or knives optional.
\\\" It`s so easy to rewrite history when the few that know the truth are made unable to speak for themselves\\\"
Alexander, the last scenario...
#30  March 03, 2013, 09:38:11 am
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
#31  March 04, 2013, 11:14:01 pm
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
I had forgotten how badly drawn that April Fool's gag was. On the bright side, I had also completely forgot up to this point that the nameless girlfriend was a brunette as well. Thank you kindly.

<- In case it wasn't known already, I am a fan of the Hokuto no Ken series. Noticed that the protagonists had a few details in common, so...
#32  March 05, 2013, 11:15:54 pm
  • Hungry Wolf
    • South Africa
You gonna make it a special intro between the two?
#33  March 12, 2013, 04:16:26 am
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Riccochet: That is indeed the plan. haven't worked out the exact details of what is said in the exchange on account that I am still looking for the appropriate voice for KFM. Additionally as a very poorly kept secret, I am planning on a new voice for KFM.

Because this post needed something to look at. Trying to recover the related video file where I cleaned up the frames for my video set... which as of the time of this posting seems to have proven to not be successful. Bah!
#34  March 12, 2013, 05:10:27 am
  • Hungry Wolf
    • South Africa
As a fellow HnK fan.. i approve.
#35  March 12, 2013, 05:23:58 am
  • Watch Me explode!!!!
    • USA
    • Reality4525@gmail.com
this is a great idea but honestly i think he should have a 6 button layout like kfm.... just makes sense.
#36  March 12, 2013, 05:25:51 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
KFM has a four-button layout unless you're talking about the countless edits out there.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#37  March 12, 2013, 06:34:42 am
    • USA
KFM has a four-button layout unless you're talking about the countless edits out there.

Yeah, KFM is a 4 button character.

He has decent combos. But lacks a dodge roll... Which kinda hampers him against some foes.

So the question is... Are Suave Dude, and Kung-Fu Man gonna remain in Electbyte style? Or something different?

#38  March 12, 2013, 06:58:55 am
  • The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/truemicah
Check the first page dude. :P
He'd be based on KFM but more kick oriented.  I love how Suave Dude is kept as close as possible to his "source".
#39  March 12, 2013, 07:07:59 am
    • USA
Check the first page dude. :P
He'd be based on KFM but more kick oriented.  I love how Suave Dude is kept as close as possible to his "source".

Oh yeah. Derp.
<_>;

Erm... *Ahem* I'm glad they're being kept in the original style. Makes it seem more official that way.
#40  March 12, 2013, 08:42:13 pm
  • Video Game Veteran
  • Can you do it? SUREYOUCAN!
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
By any chance will he be able to summon his little minions? I'd think it would be a nice touch adding strikers for him to add on to KFM's story against Suave Dude. Since they are somewhat mentioned, I thought I ask anyway. ;)

"You must defeat my flaming
dragon punch to stand a chance."
#41  March 12, 2013, 08:43:31 pm
  • i'm a gay trans lady
    • USA
<- In case it wasn't known already, I am a fan of the Hokuto no Ken series. Noticed that the protagonists had a few details in common, so...

suddenly i feel KFM and suave dude need falco and shin palettes, respectively
#42  March 13, 2013, 12:24:39 am
    • UK
    • madcabbaged@gmail.com
Regarding the gun I think you should have it only for his win pose and taunt; for his win pose he could pull it out and point it at them as they lie on the floor and for his taunt he should pull it out and spin it around western film style. Also I think he definitely needs a special intro against kfm
#43  March 13, 2013, 12:44:27 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
#44  March 20, 2013, 08:53:35 pm
  • "Za Warudo" user
    • Russia
    • www.youtube.com/user/YagamiRus
I wondered what Rolento decided about the voice.
I think he should have a voice, like what Divine wolf done to his version of KFM.
#45  March 20, 2013, 09:29:50 pm
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Actually been having back and forth conversations with the voice actor I contacted about this. Speaking of which, I need to send him some proper test lines.
#46  March 20, 2013, 11:21:01 pm
  • SNK is life
Short one liners :P

"Come on", "Yeah", "No!", and Evil Laugh, "I spin my hams with yo brood".

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty