YesNoOk

True love I'm making (actual sprites included this time) (Read 278831 times)

Started by StevenB, October 06, 2015, 09:41:17 pm
Re: Some of my sprite- and artwork
#21  October 10, 2015, 01:35:52 am
  • Dance the night away!
    • Australia
Re: Steven's Sprites 'n Pixels (Commissions are open)
#22  October 10, 2015, 01:08:19 pm
    • Netherlands
BOOOOKONAAAA!

You nailed the ferocity in Dio's pose right there, and the way Za Warudo is preparing to creep up on the opposing foe is amazing. Great work, man.

Also, Gyro looks a lot better now. ^_^

Haha thank you, I'm glad you like it!

I'm still playing around with Gyro's face since rn I personally feel it looks too 'old', but I'll probably come back to it in one or two days.

Spooky vampire month
That is the greatest thing i have ever seen!

That's a great compliment, thank you! I like working with the JoJo designs, so I will probably be making more fanart of it later on.

----------------------------------------

Earlier on I mentioned that I did commissions, but I forgot to actually post my commission sheet, so here it is:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

I only just started with commissions so I'm still figuring out what styles I can pull off well enough to add them to the list. In the upcoming weeks I'll be trying out more fighting game-y styles to be more useful to the people of this community.
#23  October 10, 2015, 05:26:11 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I'd say to try andlearn cvs style, since that's teh one most likely to land you comissions there; kof too maybe, but it might require more work for less potential comissions than cvs.

HQ

Re: Some of my sprite- and artwork
#24  October 10, 2015, 06:09:53 pm
Nice to see you around here too ;) (I know you from tigsource)
Great work! Looking forward to seeing more!

Pleasure to make your acquiantance again! Do you use the same username here as on Tigsource? The name strikes me as familair but I can't quite seem to pinpoint it.
Sorry I totally did overlook that. I go by the name "NNWW" there ;)
#25  October 14, 2015, 08:53:39 pm
    • Netherlands
I tried out CvS style

it's my first time and I'm not 100% satisfied with the final result so maybe you guys can help me improve it? CvS uses an increddibly bulky bodybuild so maybe going with Sanji, who has a very slim build, wasn't a good idea, but I dunno.

Colourwise I've got two pallets; one from actual CvS sprites (the light grey one) and one custom made (second one, enlarged one). I like the darker one better, but I'm not entirley sure what the rules regarding palletes are in CVS style.
Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 09:31:22 pm by StevenB
#26  October 14, 2015, 09:57:54 pm
  • I'll be back...
    • Cuba
wow man this is some amazing stuff you've got here , regarding sanji,I believe he is taller than ryu/ken (they're 1.73 cm tall while sanji is 1.80 cm) so you can get away with that I suppose
Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 10:02:32 pm by balmsold
#27  October 14, 2015, 09:59:25 pm
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/
For a first, I'm really surprised that you pulled out the CvS sprite style so accurately. You've made a great use of the midtones and everything in here, it's really impressive. Now, the main problem I have with the sprite in here are the proportions. Despite having the shading to be spot on with the CvS style, he still doesn't quite fits in due to details such as his slightly big head, and his very thin body. You'd have to resize his head down a bit, and give him a bigger body (somewhat taller, wider shoes, thicker limbs and torso).

I imagine giving Sanji somewhat bulkier proportions might make him feel unnatural to you at first, but remember that CvS style would require him to look slightly more realistic with his proportions. You don't have to make him as bulky as Ken or anything, you just have to make his proportions more fitting to the style, but he can still remain thin. In case it's still too hard for you to imagine him in realistic proportions, you could always look up cosplay pictures to get a better idea of what his proportions need to look like:

Shit
#28  October 14, 2015, 11:26:40 pm
    • Netherlands
wow man this is some amazing stuff you've got here , regarding sanji,I believe he is taller than ryu/ken (they're 1.73 cm tall while sanji is 1.80 cm) so you can get away with that I suppose

That Sanji looks marvelous! And yeah I was a bit unsure about the height, I think Sanji clocks in somewhere around 2 meters post-timeskip. I wanted to keep him roughly the size of Ken for balance purposes, but I suppose I could very well just make him taller.

Your Sanji has a very good colour pallete by the way, would you mind if I tried applying to my Sanji to see if it works better? And thanks for the reference!

For a first, I'm really surprised that you pulled out the CvS sprite style so accurately. You've made a great use of the midtones and everything in here, it's really impressive. Now, the main problem I have with the sprite in here are the proportions. Despite having the shading to be spot on with the CvS style, he still doesn't quite fits in due to details such as his slightly big head, and his very thin body. You'd have to resize his head down a bit, and give him a bigger body (somewhat taller, wider shoes, thicker limbs and torso).

I imagine giving Sanji somewhat bulkier proportions might make him feel unnatural to you at first, but remember that CvS style would require him to look slightly more realistic with his proportions. You don't have to make him as bulky as Ken or anything, you just have to make his proportions more fitting to the style, but he can still remain thin. In case it's still too hard for you to imagine him in realistic proportions, you could always look up cosplay pictures to get a better idea of what his proportions need to look like:

(I really want that suit)

Using cosplay for proportional references... genius! I had never considered using cosplay as referential material, but that's a really clever idea!

I'll probably bulk up Sanji a fair bit yeah, for the head; I'm mostly thinking that trimming down the hair will do the trick.

Thanks for the feedback and kind words you two, I hope I can bring forth Sanji V2 soon

#29  October 15, 2015, 12:03:09 am
  • I'll be back...
    • Cuba
glad it helped , and yes feel free to use the pallete.
#30  October 15, 2015, 12:40:16 am
  • T.G. "Thunder God" Xenomic
    • USA
    • Skype - shinxenomic@hotmail.com
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/xenomic/
That is pretty impressive work for a first time. I can't add anything myself as I never really tried CVS spriting (and I don't consider myself a spriter by any means heh), but it's still amazingly well done.
#31  October 15, 2015, 03:14:22 am
    • USA
    • Skype - TatariZane2009
Why am I always late to the welcome party?

Anyway, for your 1st time doing CvS Styled sprites, it looks pretty well done. Aside for the problems I had with it (which were covered by MotorRoach, mainly the head), I think you can use someone else as a reference besides Ken to get a better idea of how the "skinny" proportions of the body works in a CvS Style (like let's say.. Kyosuke).
#32  October 15, 2015, 05:16:38 pm
    • Netherlands
That is pretty impressive work for a first time. I can't add anything myself as I never really tried CVS spriting (and I don't consider myself a spriter by any means heh), but it's still amazingly well done.

Thank you!
Why am I always late to the welcome party?

Anyway, for your 1st time doing CvS Styled sprites, it looks pretty well done. Aside for the problems I had with it (which were covered by MotorRoach, mainly the head), I think you can use someone else as a reference besides Ken to get a better idea of how the "skinny" proportions of the body works in a CvS Style (like let's say.. Kyosuke).

The welcome is appreciated none the less!

Yeah Ken probably wasn't the best pick haha.

I've made some updates to the Sanji sprite, the pallete is by Balmsold. I've tried to incorporate all the feedback and mainly focussed on buffing him up and making him longer:

Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 05:20:21 pm by StevenB
#33  October 15, 2015, 09:52:17 pm
  • I'll be back...
    • Cuba
hoho now that looks amazing
#34  October 15, 2015, 09:56:39 pm
  • T.G. "Thunder God" Xenomic
    • USA
    • Skype - shinxenomic@hotmail.com
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/xenomic/
Now THAT looks a lot better and sharper!
#35  October 15, 2015, 10:07:55 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
7 heads height is the sweet spot, 6 or lessa nd it looks cartoonish/short, 8 or more looks too skinny for a fighter.
#36  October 16, 2015, 12:40:51 am
    • Netherlands
Now THAT looks a lot better and sharper!

hoho now that looks amazing

Thanks you two! I'm very satisfied with the improvements as well

7 heads height is the sweet spot, 6 or lessa nd it looks cartoonish/short, 8 or more looks too skinny for a fighter.

Right now the Sanji is 6.5 head tall, is that passable?

--------------------------------

It's the month of ghosts and goblins, so I'll mostly be spriting spooky stuff, here is a vampire hunter:

I'll probably buff up the midsection later, since right now he has too much of a hourglass shape. Maybe I'll broaden the back shoulder a bit as well
Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 12:47:41 am by StevenB
#37  October 16, 2015, 12:49:18 am
    • USA
    • Skype - TatariZane2009
I do like what you did with Simon here (besides the cuts, since I don't remember him having that much cuts on him), but I'm honestly feeling slight mixed about this one.

It might be the face, but as of now Simon looks like an old man here. It does look like he's gone through some shit, but idk most of the artwork I'm seeing of him (in his Castlevania Chronicles appearance) depicts him as a young man.
#38  October 16, 2015, 09:01:38 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Hey Steven, good to see a quality spriter join the board. Since you mentioned that you wanted to learn the rules for CvS styles, I thought I'd offer some tips. I'm not an accomplished spriter or anything (my specialty is doing NES-ish stuff), I do know a little bit about the technicalities of the CvS limits, so I thought I thought I'd help out a bit.

In short, CvS sprites, like many sprites from a lot of earlier arcade fighting games, are limited to 16 colors (15 that actually show up on the character, 1 that's a transparency). As a hobbyist, you don't really need to worry about these color limits since you're not going to be putting them on an old-ass arcade board, but if you want to challenge yourself, it's a fun little exercise.

And in this case it really was an exercise because he was using 32 colors, so I literally had to halve the amount of colors he was using!

1x
->

2x
->

I only brought it down to 17 colors because I strongly believe that the cigarette smoke would be its own entity and wouldn't count towards the character palette (ie: how Ryu's Hadou Ken wouldn't count towards his color count).EDIT: DISREGARD THAT, I'm an idiot. I found out that the extra color was coming from a few pixels on his shoe. Cleaned those up, and now he's exactly 16 colors, including cigarette smoke.

Here are some tips that might help out.

• I noticed you used a lot of different shades of black with very few differences between them. Capcom usually opts for 16,16,16 as the darkest black shade. You had a few ones in there that were below that, so I just merged all of them and a 16,17,18 I found into 16,16,16 (especially since the human eye won't really notice the difference at a glance)
  • Blondes are simultaneously frustrating and fun to work on. It's fun because many times, you can get away with using the darker shades of your fighter's skin colors in the hair's shading and it'll still look unique. It's frustrating at first because you have to wrap your mind around using skin tones to shade hair, but this happens a lot in commercial fighting games (next time you're playing SFZ3, pick Charlie/Cody/Cammy/Rainbow Mika and zoom in on their hair).
  • In the same vein, a lot of times you can pass off a yellow's shading to work with an orange's shading. I didn't change the brightest color on the orange because I needed that as an accent. However, the darker colors weren't as plentiful so I just used the previously mentioned skintones for those. If all else fails, see if you can find an in-between color and apply it to both.
  • In the end, it's really just learning to be as flexible as possible with your colors. If a color is only going to take up a few pixels, see if you can use an existing color in the image.

HUGE DISCLAIMER: Color separation is pretty big these days, so in those cases, you'd want to be as colorful as possible so people can make palettes for them without running into the aforementioned color-sharing problems. But for a default palette, going for the magic 16 is a nice challenge.

Anyway, this isn't the end-all best way to go about it (For example, you could probably make the cigarette smoke share colors with the hair highlight, make the shoes be brown and match his skintones, etc etc), but it's my take on it. Your work is great, and I'll be in touch soon ;)
Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 11:17:54 am by Jango Hakamichi
#39  October 16, 2015, 02:03:09 pm
    • Netherlands
I do like what you did with Simon here (besides the cuts, since I don't remember him having that much cuts on him), but I'm honestly feeling slight mixed about this one.

It might be the face, but as of now Simon looks like an old man here. It does look like he's gone through some shit, but idk most of the artwork I'm seeing of him (in his Castlevania Chronicles appearance) depicts him as a young man.

The cuts are more or less from his redesign from the reboot. I liked them as I thought they were thematically very appropriate (given the shit Simon goes up against) but I do agree with you that they didn't really work on this sprite n hindsight- I think the red pallet made them stand out to much.

As for the face, you might be right; I had trouble with faces in CvS so I used Geese's as reference, which probably made him look older then expected. Simon is usually pretty bishounen in his his Cronicles design (which is the one people recognise the most). When I draw Simon I usually depict him a bit older than that.

I've done some adjustements and tweaks on the sprite, most notably the face. I've also bulked him up a bit and I've tried to make the stance a bit more stable. Your feedback is much appreciated

Hey Steven, good to see a quality spriter join the board. Since you mentioned that you wanted to learn the rules for CvS styles, I thought I'd offer some tips. I'm not an accomplished spriter or anything (my specialty is doing NES-ish stuff), I do know a little bit about the technicalities of the CvS limits, so I thought I thought I'd help out a bit.

In short, CvS sprites, like many sprites from a lot of earlier arcade fighting games, are limited to 16 colors (15 that actually show up on the character, 1 that's a transparency). As a hobbyist, you don't really need to worry about these color limits since you're not going to be putting them on an old-ass arcade board, but if you want to challenge yourself, it's a fun little exercise.

And in this case it really was an exercise because he was using 32 colors, so I literally had to halve the amount of colors he was using!

1x
->

2x
->

I only brought it down to 17 colors because I strongly believe that the cigarette smoke would be its own entity and wouldn't count towards the character palette (ie: how Ryu's Hadou Ken wouldn't count towards his color count).EDIT: DISREGARD THAT, I'm an idiot. I found out that the extra color was coming from a few pixels on his shoe. Cleaned those up, and now he's exactly 16 colors, including cigarette smoke.

Here are some tips that might help out.

• I noticed you used a lot of different shades of black with very few differences between them. Capcom usually opts for 16,16,16 as the darkest black shade. You had a few ones in there that were below that, so I just merged all of them and a 16,17,18 I found into 16,16,16 (especially since the human eye won't really notice the difference at a glance)
  • Blondes are simultaneously frustrating and fun to work on. It's fun because many times, you can get away with using the darker shades of your fighter's skin colors in the hair's shading and it'll still look unique. It's frustrating at first because you have to wrap your mind around using skin tones to shade hair, but this happens a lot in commercial fighting games (next time you're playing SFZ3, pick Charlie/Cody/Cammy/Rainbow Mika and zoom in on their hair).
  • In the same vein, a lot of times you can pass off a yellow's shading to work with an orange's shading. I didn't change the brightest color on the orange because I needed that as an accent. However, the darker colors weren't as plentiful so I just used the previously mentioned skintones for those. If all else fails, see if you can find an in-between color and apply it to both.
  • In the end, it's really just learning to be as flexible as possible with your colors. If a color is only going to take up a few pixels, see if you can use an existing color in the image.

HUGE DISCLAIMER: Color separation is pretty big these days, so in those cases, you'd want to be as colorful as possible so people can make palettes for them without running into the aforementioned color-sharing problems. But for a default palette, going for the magic 16 is a nice challenge.

Anyway, this isn't the end-all best way to go about it (For example, you could probably make the cigarette smoke share colors with the hair highlight, make the shoes be brown and match his skintones, etc etc), but it's my take on it. Your work is great, and I'll be in touch soon ;)

This was a really, really interesting read, thank you SO much. Colours are definetly a bit of a weakpoint for me, so seeing your edit and bit about flexible colouring was pretty eye opening. I'll definetly keep this in mind for future projects, thanks for the feedback!
#40  October 16, 2015, 04:49:28 pm
    • Netherlands

Jon E. Coyote