YesNoOk

entertainment news that don't deserve their own thread (Read 1340728 times)

Started by Titiln, June 18, 2011, 03:16:32 am
Share this topic:
Re: entertainment news that don't deserve their own thread
#4121  June 27, 2017, 06:43:03 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I hope kira is vegan
#4122  June 28, 2017, 11:41:15 am
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
Oh god the cringe

I'm almost certain Adam Wingard is behind the Ryuk account and is talking to himself
#4123  June 28, 2017, 11:48:14 am
What I'd like to know is why the fuck did Twitter put that confirmed/recognized/validated check or whatever it's called for someone's official account on that Ryuk. Did Netflix just walk in and say "I have the copyrights so it's mine" ? What a bunch of assholes.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#4124  June 28, 2017, 03:40:09 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Is Superman Red Son story that good?

http://www.avclub.com/article/its-rumor-time-warner-bros-planning-superman-red-s-257419

Millar later confirmed that he doesn’t know if Warner Bros. is actually planning a Red Son movie, as he’s never discussed the possibility with any of the people he knows at the studio, but he does believe that people there are going through the whole “back catalog of big books” in an attempt to “lure in good directors.” In other words, Warner Bros. is looking to make movies out of as many famous DC Comics stories as possible, and there’s a chance Red Son is one of them, but it might not be.

sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#4125  June 28, 2017, 04:16:03 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Not particularly.

Communist Superman is an interesting concept but it's never developed properly. I'm not even sure what Millar understands as "communism" since Lex Luthor fights Superman's utopic communism with his own totalitarian economic system where he controls every single penny.
#4126  June 28, 2017, 04:47:39 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
It's a good story, but just overrated.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#4127  June 29, 2017, 08:38:28 pm

jumanji is now a videogame

it's a fun concept, they should've just called it something else
#4128  June 29, 2017, 08:56:15 pm
  • Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.
  • 2D Fighting games forever!
    • Brazil
They would lose a shit ton of money by just calling it something else.
Lasagna
#4129  June 29, 2017, 11:06:30 pm
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
So this got released

Dunno what this Wingard guy was smoking...
#4130  June 29, 2017, 11:17:01 pm
Okay, let's take out the battles of wits that made the original work actually loved, and fill the rest with teenage angst and violent deaths. Sounds like a plan !
And it hurts to hear Masi Oka spill all those clichés about making it "darker and edgier" because "it's not the original, it's our vision". Yeah, that's... that's basically the whole problem with it.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#4131  June 29, 2017, 11:49:40 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Ah, it just clicked what was bugging me in the back of my head about that Death Note adaptation, besides the obvious previous news.  Seeing it now, it's because ultimately they turned it into a teenager's fantasy of what they'd do in the story's place, rather than, you know, the actual story.

I'm going to have to side with Titiln to a T on Jumanji, though.  Good premise, but it seems too far detached from its source to even bother reminding you it's about Jumanji anymore.  Should have called it something else.  I'm willing to bet whatever they do add that's more in line with the original is now going to feel shoehorned rather than just naturally there.

But ignoring all that, taken just by itself without any previous ties, looks like a fun little summer movie.

Is Superman Red Son story that good?
Personally, I think it's my favorite Superman story, and one that I've shared with the family and most agree that it's among the better stories told about the character.  But I will echo that it is kind of overrated.  It's just kind of hard to write a compelling Superman story, that those that are quality people latch on to pretty hard.
#4132  June 29, 2017, 11:53:55 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Okay, let's take out the battles of wits that made the original work actually loved, and fill the rest with teenage angst and violent deaths. Sounds like a plan !
And it hurts to hear Masi Oka spill all those clichés about making it "darker and edgier" because "it's not the original, it's our vision". Yeah, that's... that's basically the whole problem with it.

the sad part is that death note is already dark and edgy enough so making it more so threads on comedic grounds, which I guess is one way to enjoy it.  I mean, the latest japanese adaptations tried some fun new things, like having more homoerotic L and kira scenes (sup naked shower together), or thwe whole changes to make it more "natural" , Kira actually kissing misa,  the FBI being more competent, L having to set up near and other things since the start in case he messed up.

I ahve not watched the 10 years after movie yet, tho it does not sound like a bad idea.
#4133  June 30, 2017, 12:34:28 am
it seems too far detached from its source to even bother reminding you it's about Jumanji anymore
It's an old grandfather game that sucks you in its world and forces you to play by its rules and makes the threats real. Close enough IMO, the only difference is that it's not actually happening in your living room and into your streets (although that dumb helicopter shit might prove that wrong). Which is a shame since that's what the whole humor of the original was.
I'm willing to bet whatever they do add that's more in line with the original is now going to feel shoehorned rather than just naturally there.
There was an interview where they mentioned the presence of Williams' character being felt through the clues and the houses he built in this world, so depending on the emphasize they put on making this world recognizable, it could be okay. Or not.
Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 12:42:32 am by Byakko
#4134  June 30, 2017, 12:43:55 am
  • how a neko rolls
    • www.nekoarcchaos666.webs.com
Im not really bothered by the changes. We don't need a rehash of the death note story in its proper (japan has made plenty of live action versions anyway) and I will reserve judgement for when the movie comes out. I like the fact we're getting something different.
#4135  June 30, 2017, 12:52:02 am
We don't need a rehash of the death note story in its proper
We didn't really need a mindless teenage angst righteous murder spree either. The concepts of justice and responsibilities are also a big theme that could be explored in different ways than the battle of wits.
#4136  July 03, 2017, 02:53:43 am
  • how a neko rolls
We don't need a rehash of the death note story in its proper
We didn't really need a mindless teenage angst righteous murder spree either. The concepts of justice and responsibilities are also a big theme that could be explored in different ways than the battle of wits.
Who says thats not the case here? Your assuming how its gonna work before the movie even comes out.
What about this is mindless? The trailer highlights Light's choice to use the Death Note for preconceived justice which is goaded on by Mia Sutton (who's already decent detachment from Misa Amane's obsessive and idiotic character.)

Like I said, I reserve judgement for the final product. Nobody wants to see another failure and Im tired of anime fans negativity.
#4137  July 03, 2017, 04:55:26 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
A trailer is supposed to give insight into what the movie will look like, and often fool the viewer into thinking the final product will be better than it is (looking at you, Suicide Squad). If the trailer looks like shit it means the movie is so bad they couldn't even salvage a few scenes.
#4138  July 04, 2017, 11:44:17 pm
  • how a neko rolls
I dont think the trailer looks bad, and when I look up criticism on it I just see a bunch of complaints about how its not their tried and true classic death note with pretty boi light and classic L.

Mother's Basement made some decent points about the trailer, one being the music and how are society in america differs from Japan's so someone like the original light would not work the same in the US.

The trailer isnt really bad or that amazing, but it gives us alot of questions and doesnt spoil much. If it can be similar to how Edge of Tomorrow turned out, I'd be content.
#4139  July 05, 2017, 03:02:13 am
  • ANC
Music and aesthetics aside, what makes Light an interesting character is how he deals with holding the power of the death note along with his overarching God complex. That part is the largely unchanged "tried and true" I took from that trailer.

But yeah, I somehow do get the feeling they're gonna get a lot of mileage off of the death scenes over the actual plot, which itself can be reflective of values in American society...

So, good job?
#4140  July 05, 2017, 04:14:33 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
After seeing someone's negative facebook post regarding a sexy cosplay of Wonder Woman and completely ignoring another character. It seems that some traditional fans really don't like the idea of a more risque version of her costume as they've held such high standards for her. So I decided to see any updates on Mr. Cho.

Sadly not much info on Frank Cho.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/04/22/frank-chos-latest-outrage-ous-sketch-variant-takes-look-behind-unstoppable-teenage-wasp/

http://comicsalliance.com/frank-cho-butts-boners/

But Cho has not been content to fight back in the trenches of sketch covers. He recently created a new cover for a publisher of video game comics, which again features a female protagonist in the same butt-up pose. You can see it on his Facebook page. Cho claims that the company’s art director wanted Cho to recreate this pose (yet again) because he, like Cho, is “anti-censorship”.

Read More: Is Frank Cho The Last Champion Of Straight Men's Boners?

sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.